• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Are there any bikes that look similar to the Monster or Gladius that are beginner friendly? I've always loved those sort of designs but I know I should be looking at lower cc's.

daw840

krypt0nian said:
There is like 3 inches of snow on the ground again.

I mean WTF?!

Yeah, I rode about 100 miles on saturday and ate lunch outside, at a biker bar in a t-shirt. Now it's fucking 39 degrees........

Flo_Evans

So how is everyone enjoying this shit weather? I have been bikeless in cali all week teased by roads such as this:

m8kbj9.jpg

and perfect 70 degree weather! :(

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
So how is everyone enjoying this shit weather? I have been bikeless in cali all week teased by roads such as this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/m8kbj9.jpg[/IMG

and perfect 70 degree weather! :([/QUOTE]

BAH, I just moved away from Cali and picked up my first bike. I regret so much not buying a bike when I lived there. However, I don't think Los Angeles highways would be the best place to learn on.....

LiveFromKyoto said:
I'm really looking at getting a bike in the next month, but I've never ridden before. I've got my eye on a deal for 92 Ninja. The engine is 600 cc, is that too much for a beginner?

Take the MSF Basic Rider Course before you hop on a bike. It'll help teach you the basics and will either confirm or get rid of your desire to ride (important thing to know before buying a bike).

As for the bike, a 92 600 is not going to have the same punch as one made today, so while I would say to definitely be careful (no matter what bike you get), you will not have to worry quite as much as with a newer one. Make no mistake it will still be faster than the bike you ride in the class. Make sure to get good, weather appropriate gear, also. This includes a full face helmet (meeting DOT/ECE/SNELL...should meet at least two of those certs) and other gear (gloves, pants, jacket, boots). Leather as a general rule will protect your skin better than textile. If it's hot where you ride, get vented or perforated gear so you won't bake.

Flo_Evans said:
So how is everyone enjoying this shit weather?

This past weekend the weather was pretty good. I rode about 280 miles (160 of them being done on Sunday...total time from leaving house until I got back was about 4 hours). I have like 1/4" or less of tread now on the edges of my rear tire that has a lesser amount of wear (I've gotten further than that, though, as some little tiny wear nubs near the edge have worn down/off) :D

Lots of twisties/leaning. So much fun as you get into the ride and get into "the zone".

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
BAH, I just moved away from Cali and picked up my first bike. I regret so much not buying a bike when I lived there. However, I don't think Los Angeles highways would be the best place to learn on.....

Or San Francisco hills! :lol I was amazed (and terrified) for the bikers there.

daw840

Flo_Evans said:

I can't even imagine trying to ride on those hills. That's just madness. Plus all the drivers in CA are complete assholes.

God damn it. I've been bikeless for over a fortnight now because the place that is recovering my seat is taking their damned time.

I just want to get out and ride. Those twisties look amazing, Flo.

Flo_Evans

I also didn't realize how close our hotel was to infineon raceway. I wish I would of planned my trip to coincide with a race event! :lol

Flo_Evans

What the hell is going on in that picture? :lol

How about some inspirational shots?!

somewhere in italy...
sommeiler-wasser.jpg

Some lean on a GS...
site1.jpg

New Zealand?...
43185998-L.jpg

Norway...
32246230-L.jpg

Suddenly I want to ship my bike to euroland and ride around! :D

edit: one more!
IMG_1904.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
What the hell is going on in that picture? :lol

How about some inspirational shots?!

somewhere in italy...
http://www.rrr.de/~phil/reisen/20013seealpen/pic/sommeiler-wasser.jpg

Some lean on a GS...
http://home.att.net/~wlasecki/wsb/media/140419/site1.jpg

New Zealand?...
http://cyb.smugmug.com/photos/43185998-L.jpg

Norway...
http://oyvind.smugmug.com/photos/32246230-L.jpg

Suddenly I want to ship my bike to euroland and ride around! :D

You know you can hire a CBR600 for like 200€ for a couple of weeks with nearly unlimited kilometres? :D

Also in better news: I GOT MY SEAT BACK HELL YES.

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
You know you can hire a CBR600 for like 200€ for a couple of weeks with nearly unlimited kilometres? :D

Congrats!! Post some pics of the future rides!!

daw840

SnakeswithLasers said:
How totally retarded is it to buy a five year old 620 ducati monster as a first bike...?

Is the 620 a V-Twin or an I-4?

If the former, not retarded at all. If the latter, deathtrap.

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:

No I didn't. How does that work out with licensing over there though? I know its much more strict than our "ride around a few cones in a parking lot and get your 'M' endorsement!" over here, but would they let me rent a bike in europe with my US license? I know when top gear did thier Vietnam special they had to pass a skills test (on scooters :lol ) to go into North Vietnam.

I think it would be somewhat cooler though to ship my bike and take it all over the world like http://www.longwayround.com/html/lwr_dvm.html all I need is a few millions in the bank 1st! :lol Maybe when I retire...

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
How totally retarded is it to buy a five year old 620 ducati monster as a first bike...?

Depends... if it was kept up with on service intervals you should be fine. Just keep in mind they are VERY expensive to fix and you could be waiting MONTHS for parts depending on how your local dealer is.

My "1st" bike was a 2002 750 monster (although I had rode other peoples bikes and scooters long before I bought "my" 1st) It only put out about 50-60hp, but was pretty light. Looping it was not a worry as you had to really work to get the front wheel off the ground.

Good brakes good ergos (mostly upright riding position, not ass in the air like a SS) decent power and knock out looks, awesome resale value (as long as you don't trash it!).

I would go for it pending inspection by a qualified mechanic... good luck finding a qualified mechanic at reasonable rates though!

edit: and yes all ducatis are V-twins :p

edit: it looks like according to those specs they increased the power to 80hp for 2005... wheelies should be much easier. :D

Thanks guys, you're making me really consider this. My uncle mentioned seeing one around his area for sale--I'll have him look at it. Maybe I'll be saddled up soon, but who knows. If nothing used and pretty like a ducati surfaces, I might just take the plunge and get a new ninja 250. I've been considering it for a year now, but just haven't pulled the trigger. But my finances are looking a lot better and it's bike season!

Flo_Evans said:
No I didn't. How does that work out with licensing over there though? I know its much more strict than our "ride around a few cones in a parking lot and get your 'M' endorsement!" over here, but would they let me rent a bike in europe with my US license? I know when top gear did thier Vietnam special they had to pass a skills test (on scooters :lol ) to go into North Vietnam.

I think it would be somewhat cooler though to ship my bike and take it all over the world like http://www.longwayround.com/html/lwr_dvm.html all I need is a few millions in the bank 1st! :lol Maybe when I retire...

Depends on the country, but I believe for the most part if you're riding on the same side of the road (the right in this case) and you have a full motorcycle licence, it should be fine. Maybe needing a driver's abstract to show any violations?

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks guys, you're making me really consider this. My uncle mentioned seeing one around his area for sale--I'll have him look at it. Maybe I'll be saddled up soon, but who knows. If nothing used and pretty like a ducati surfaces, I might just take the plunge and get a new ninja 250. I've been considering it for a year now, but just haven't pulled the trigger. But my finances are looking a lot better and it's bike season!

Well, I'd say go for the Ninja unless you find the sweetest-most-amazing-cannot-pass-this-up deal for the Ducati. The Ninja in a year will get almost what you paid for it, and you can get the Ducati then!

I don't know, personally I think you might outgrow a 250 very quickly. The 620 might be a better investment, and the 2 valve 620 models aren't that fragile.

Besides, it's not just the engine that's better on a 'bigger' bike. You get better brakes, a better frame, a fatter rear tire (more rubber on the road), it's safer really when you think about it.

Fallout-NL said:
I don't know, personally I think you might outgrow a 250 very quickly. The 620 might be a better investment, and the 2 valve 620 models aren't that fragile.

Besides, it's not just the engine that's better on a 'bigger' bike. You get better brakes, a better frame, a fatter rear tire (more rubber on the road), it's safer really when you think about it.

We can go around the merrigoround on this for days, I think. I think starting off small is a much better decision, and the fatalities stats in the UK help back me up.

What you're saying isn't also true, but the fact is newb riders freak out easily. At least you can't go from 0-100km with an accidental little twist of a throttle on a 250.

At the very least if he outgrows the 250 in a year, he'll get 95% of what he paid for it.

Dragona Akehi said:
Well, I'd say go for the Ninja unless you find the sweetest-most-amazing-cannot-pass-this-up deal for the Ducati. The Ninja in a year will get almost what you paid for it, and you can get the Ducati then!

I know that you're 100% right. I know. But the thought of this:

21564_0_1_2_monster%20620%20dark_Image%20credits%20-%20Ducati.jpg

is pounding all rationality in my brain with a spiky club.

Edit: And Dragona, I've done a lot of reading on first bike purchases over the last year--and everything I've read says you're right. "Never buy your first bike as though it's your last--or it might be." I get it and I respect the info. Plus everything I've read about those 250s says they are awesome bikes. I'm just having those 28 year old male self-control problems.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I know that you're 100% right. I know. But the thought of this:

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/ducati/2005/21564_0_1_2_monster 620 dark_Image credits - Ducati.jpg

is pounding all rationality in my brain with a spiky club.

See if you can find that omg-amazing-god-himself-is-selling-this-bike-for-like-peanuts deal on the Ducati then. But if not, get the Ninja in the meantime and keep an eye out for the Ducati.

So then you'll be riding, and if you FIND a Ducati, put the Ninja up. Most people see a turnaround on the Ninja sales in less than a week. Seriously.

Though no one would do the same for my bike, I keep my eye out for Triumphs all the time, heh.

Dragona Akehi said:
We can go around the merrigoround on this for days, I think. I think starting off small is a much better decision, and the fatalities stats in the UK help back me up.

What you're saying isn't also true, but the fact is newb riders freak out easily. At least you can't go from 0-100km with an accidental little twist of a throttle on a 250.

At the very least if he outgrows the 250 in a year, he'll get 95% of what he paid for it.

Are those stats related to certain types of motorcycles? Or just fatal motorcycle accidents for a younger age group?

A M620 (2valve) is still considered a starter's bike btw or 'small'. It's in no way comparable to a 600cc 4 cilinder for instance. Anyway.

My old Monster, I loved it, not as much as I love my new 998, but I loved it intensely nonetheless.

faby3r.jpg

Fallout-NL said:
Are those stats related to certain types of motorcycles? Or just fatal motorcycle accidents for a younger age group?

If I recall (I'm going to have to look it up) it was engine size compared to riding experience (not just age).

Flo_Evans said:
Looping it was not a worry as you had to really work to get the front wheel off the ground.

First off...I'd think that the primary issue with supersport i4's is not the danger of looping them per se (I imagine that means lifting the front wheel up under power and losing it), as on my 600 and 750 I could open it wide in first from the bottom of the power band and run it up to red line and the front wheel would not leave the ground. The 750 I had had about 150 HP at the crank (PCIII and race slip on included...145 stock). It also matters if the surface is flat, downhill, uphill, hilly...etc. I'd say lack of throttle control (especially in turns) is what could cause some trouble. Even then that would come down to the individual rider. It's always safer to start smaller; no questions there. If one were to start on something larger...say a recent-year 600 i4, they had better have taken the MSF course and start out slowww. I kept it slow on my 600 for the first few rides before even seriously thinking about twisting the throttle more. I actually felt OK doing the usual 5 over the speed limit or whatever as I was just getting used to the whole thing (now that would feel ass slow to me). It's also kind of hard to generalize, as an older 600 i4 would not be anywhere near what a present day 600 would be in terms of power...plus some bikes are more beginner-friendly. I cannot tell you how many success stories I've heard with people starting on SV650's and doing perfectly fine...those are capable bikes and can get up and going. I probably did a bit better acclimating to the supersport because I had just taken the class, I remembered how to get the feel for a bike (finding where the clutch catches, how sensitive the throttle is, etc)...and just took it easy. Don't be like this fool and hop on a big bike and then just twist the throttle and let it go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8_BYLDXMUE

Flo_Evans said:
edit: and yes all ducatis are V-twins :p

Not all...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/Ducati-Desmosedici-07.jpg

I actually saw one on my ride this past Sunday. I was gassing up and I heard a fairly loud raspy roar. I looked up and saw it coming and thought, "Nah...couldn't be one." Oh, but it was. $72,500 motorcycle. V4 producing 200HP at the crank.

And this is especially impressive if those are touring/dual sport tires (not the dual-compound ones thrown on sport bikes).

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
First off...I'd think that the primary issue with supersport i4's is not the danger of looping them per se (I imagine that means lifting the front wheel up under power and losing it), as on my 600 and 750 I could open it wide in first from the bottom of the power band and run it up to red line and the front wheel would not leave the ground. The 750 I had had about 150 HP at the crank (PCIII and race slip on included...145 stock). It also matters if the surface is flat, downhill, uphill, hilly...etc. I'd say lack of throttle control (especially in turns) is what could cause some trouble. Even then that would come down to the individual rider. It's always safer to start smaller; no questions there. If one were to start on something larger...say a recent-year 600 i4, they had better have taken the MSF course and start out slowww. I kept it slow on my 600 for the first few rides before even seriously thinking about twisting the throttle more. I actually felt OK doing the usual 5 over the speed limit or whatever as I was just getting used to the whole thing (now that would feel ass slow to me). It's also kind of hard to generalize, as an older 600 i4 would not be anywhere near what a present day 600 would be in terms of power...plus some bikes are more beginner-friendly. I cannot tell you how many success stories I've heard with people starting on SV650's and doing perfectly fine...those are capable bikes and can get up and going. I probably did a bit better acclimating to the supersport because I had just taken the class, I remembered how to get the feel for a bike (finding where the clutch catches, how sensitive the throttle is, etc)...and just took it easy. Don't be like this fool and hop on a big bike and then just twist the throttle and let it go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8_BYLDXMUE

Not all...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/Ducati-Desmosedici-07.jpg

I actually saw one on my ride this past Sunday. I was gassing up and I heard a fairly loud raspy roar. I looked up and saw it coming and thought, "Nah...couldn't be one." Oh, but it was. $72,500 motorcycle. V4 producing 200HP at the crank.

And this is especially impressive if those are touring/dual sport tires (not the dual-compound ones thrown on sport bikes).

omg yes I forgot about that ducati RR :D

Looping it is exactly what happened in the vid you posted yes. Some people hear "monster" and automatically assume its a wicked fast bike. People would try and get me to pop wheelies on the highway, do burnouts, ask if it goes 200mph ect on my 60hp baby monster that could barely top 100mph.

The biggest problem I see beginners having is actually coasting through the corners. They are usually afraid to roll on the throttle as they cross the apex and are unstable and unconfident, then they target fix on a ditch and end up in it.

AND FUCK YES! My local BMW dealer is holding an off-road challenge!!!

Gateway GS Cup – April 24-26, 2009

Limited to 40 riders.
Primitive camping or nearby motels.

Added feature: Shannon will give a campfire seminar on changing a tire on the trail, how to fix a flat, what to do if you get water in your bike, useful tools and spare parts to carry and anything else you want to discuss.

Friday, April 24:
*Hot dog roast Friday night.
*Bonfire.
*Bring your own beverage.

Saturday, April 25:
*Breakfast and lunch on your own—bring your own food or eat at nearby restaurants.
*GSing 101 with BMW instructors from the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC. Learn to ride off-road! Bring your own bike; knobbies recommended but not necessary.
*Off-road Course Challenge. 1200cc, 800cc and 650cc classes. your own bike; knobbies recommended but not necessary.

*GS ride maps will be provided—ride when you aren’t in GSing 101 or the Challenge.
*Hot dog roast Saturday night.
*Bonfire.
*Bring your own beverage.

Sunday, April 26:
*Pack up and ride home, or…
*Go off-road riding! Maps provided.

This should be a ton of fun. Wonder if anyone will show up on a 650 to race me :D

Flo_Evans said:
Looping it is exactly what happened in the vid you posted yes. Some people hear "monster" and automatically assume its a wicked fast bike. People would try and get me to pop wheelies on the highway, do burnouts, ask if it goes 200mph ect on my 60hp baby monster that The biggest problem I see beginners having is actually coasting through the corners. They are usually afraid to roll on the throttle as they cross the apex and are unstable and unconfident, then they target fix on a ditch and end up in it.

Yeah, never a good thing to be riding a bike that scares you. Hopefully the rider learned in the class about head position/fixation during cornering (one of the main parts of the test dealt with this). The rest is throttle control which everyone must learn to do. That's partially why starting on a smaller bike is easier. However if they're cracking the throttle open mid-corner (which really starts to become an issue on larger machines) they missed something in the process.

Flo_Evans

It's funny, most of the stuff I learned about cornering on the street is the exact opposite on dirt/gravel.

Instead of leaning into the turn "kissing the inside mirror" you lean the bike under you to keep your center of gravity vertical. Instead of gradually rolling on throttle, you whack it open to bring the read tire around. Instead of pointing your knee to the inside you throw your inside foot forward near the front tire to keep it from washing out.

Longish video showing some of this http://www.soe.se/filer/Internet07.mpg :D

thesoapster said:
Take the MSF Basic Rider Course before you hop on a bike. It'll help teach you the basics and will either confirm or get rid of your desire to ride (important thing to know before buying a bike).

Already signed up, second weekend in May :D

As for the bike, a 92 600 is not going to have the same punch as one made today, so while I would say to definitely be careful (no matter what bike you get), you will not have to worry quite as much as with a newer one. Make no mistake it will still be faster than the bike you ride in the class.

I'm kind of going back and forth on this one. For about $1200 CDN more, I can get a brand new 2008 250R. Not as much power, but I don't need to worry about what anybody else may have done with it, and as near as I can tell they hold almost their entire value for resale if I want to get something bigger down the line. It'll probably be cheaper to insure too.

Make sure to get good, weather appropriate gear, also. This includes a full face helmet (meeting DOT/ECE/SNELL...should meet at least two of those certs) and other gear (gloves, pants, jacket, boots). Leather as a general rule will protect your skin better than textile. If it's hot where you ride, get vented or perforated gear so you won't bake.

Thanks, yeah, I definitely will. The safety course won't even let me ride unless I show up with proper gear. And I'll definitely go with a full face helmet, I don't really like the look of other helmets and my contacts would probably dry out in two seconds otherwise.

Any recommendations on solid but not killer-expensive gear?

Flo_Evans said:
New Zealand?...
43185998-L.jpg

Wow, that's gorgeous. I want to ride across New Zealand now.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I'm kind of going back and forth on this one. For about $1200 CDN more, I can get a brand new 2008 250R. Not as much power, but I don't need to worry about what anybody else may have done with it, and as near as I can tell they hold almost their entire value for resale if I want to get something bigger down the line. It'll probably be cheaper to insure too.

Yeah, that would probably be a better idea as those bikes are really hot right now.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Any recommendations on solid but not killer-expensive gear?

Most helmet brands have lesser expensive models. What matters most are having two of those three certs and that the helmet is comfortable. In terms of fit you should ask someone at the shop about that, but you should seek to find the snuggest fit that is still comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. All helmets have a break-in period for the padding, too...so a tighter helmet will loosen up a bit.

My favorite brand is Shoei (mainly because of the fit and padding, but also because of the safety certs met by my helmet). There are some great helmets made by Shark, AGV, Suomy, and Arai. If it meets the certs, HJC isn't too bad, either...what matters most once you've picked a helmet that meets the safety bit is the fit/feel.

For jackets I've owned Joe Rocket and Spidi. Joe Rocket seems to make some pretty good gear. I have a black leather jacket that's quite nice. Others here are probably more qualified to comment on jackets as if I'm not wearing this single jacket now I'm in one piece leathers.

As for pants, again...you'll need to ask others here about those. The only thing I can say is to make sure (if they're leather) they a) have a stretch panel for the bending of the leg and b) that your knee lines up with it. This will allow you to actually move your legs with them on.

Gloves I've owned are Joe Rocket and Spidi. Joe Rocket leather gloves tend to be a bit more bulky (at least the GPX ones were)...but they probably have some thinner stuff by now. You want the best dexterity you can get while still having leather/armor...and this means a glove with fat fingers is a no-no. You'll be honking your horn every time you try to use the turn signals. That said, I recommend getting gauntlet-style gloves that go over your jacket's front sleeves. Armor should be present to protect the knuckles (the ones furthest back and ideally the bend points on the fingers also). Wrist protection around the gauntlet (like more armor for example) is preferable.

I recommend that you put one of the gloves on at the shop and go over to one of the bikes and grip the handlebar.

Final thing we come to is boots. Leather. That's the first thing. You can use regular boots if they're past the ankle...I recommend you have hard-toe ones (makes shifting all the easier, too). This all depends on the kind of riding you like doing, too. I don't mind riding with my steel-toe boots on, but the contour, fit, and feel of my Sidi boots I like much better (and they're the only real option with the suit). I have only used Sidi riding boots, so others may have some additional input for other brands to check out. The downside of Sidi is the price, but really...with all of this gear in the long run higher quality gear will pay off in the end and be worth it. I tried on some Teknic boots before the Sidis...:lol they didn't come close.

Overall, I recommend you trying on all sorts of brands and do not think about the price before trying it on. In this sort of sport it pays to be the safest. That does not always mean you have to have the most expensive gear, but in certain scenarios more expensive gear fits better, and that means you're more comfortable while you ride = less distraction. That means an easier time focusing on the road and its hazards, which will naturally make you safer. And in the end, if you're willing to make a $1,200 jump to get a bike you want more, you should be able to make a few extra hundred jump for your gear combined if you need to.

Best of luck :)
And before you take that class...do they not provide any gear? Ours provided gloves and helmet...and then we had to have over-the-ankle boots, jeans, long-sleeve shirt. It might help to have ridden a bike a little and know its operation before going out and buying all your gear.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Wow, that's gorgeous. I want to ride across New Zealand now.

That is indeed gorgeous...and it looks like they either added a little bloom effect and/or bumped the saturation way up :p

garath

In a last minute decision, I just signed up for a couple trackdays next week at the thunderbolt track in New Jersey.

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/tracks.html

It'll be the first time I've ridden this track. Should be a blast. I'm told it's less technical than New Hampshire motor speedway, more flowing with big sweeping turns and little braking. I should really enjoy this track on my 900cc. :D

Flo_Evans

Found this today in my travels...

f41isi.jpg

It appears to be a VW beatle rear end with some custom born again coachwork.

2cwvsjd.jpg

Then we go around to the front and see some wonderful steel plate and a harley front end. Bonus meth addict free of charge.

:lol

Can't believe homemade shit like this is street legal.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
There's some great photos in this thread. My brother's a biker and started off on a CB250 and arrived at his wedding on an R1! As for me, my legs are my engine, and a couple of weeks back I just had a desire to bike to the coast to see the sunrise. I left the house at 2:30am and 30 miles and 2 hours later got there just in time to see the big pink orb emerge from the sea.

SDC14675.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

It was so worth it. My 1997 Marin Bobcat Trail is getting retired this year, I'll be taking it across the width of England at the end of summer across the TransPenine Trail, to raise money for Dove House Hospice. This bike has served me well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Flo_Evans said:
Once you learn how to ride on the SoCal highways and the SF hills, you're pretty much set anywhere. ;)

Scarecrow

When I took my MC training course, our instructors gave us some spiel that now that we were riders, we were part of a club. Whenever any local riders passed by us when we were out on the course, they would honk their horns and wave. At the time, I thought it was bullshit... that the locals were just waving because we were students. However, I'm amazed as all the time when I pass by another rider, they usually give some sort of aknowledgement. A wave or a nod. It's pretty rad.

Also, check out this casualty as I rode home from work.

IMG_1453.jpg

Glad I wore a helmet, lest that bugger hit me square in the face.

Yeah, it's amazing how sometimes they don't fully "splat". Then the rest of the ride you get to see their bodies twitch about in the wind :lol (kind of creeps me out a little).

thesoapster said:
Yeah, that would probably be a better idea as those bikes are really hot right now.

Most helmet brands have lesser expensive models. What matters most are having two of those three certs and that the helmet is comfortable. In terms of fit you should ask someone at the shop about that, but you should seek to find the snuggest fit that is still comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. All helmets have a break-in period for the padding, too...so a tighter helmet will loosen up a bit.

My favorite brand is Shoei (mainly because of the fit and padding, but also because of the safety certs met by my helmet). There are some great helmets made by Shark, AGV, Suomy, and Arai. If it meets the certs, HJC isn't too bad, either...what matters most once you've picked a helmet that meets the safety bit is the fit/feel.

For jackets I've owned Joe Rocket and Spidi. Joe Rocket seems to make some pretty good gear. I have a black leather jacket that's quite nice. Others here are probably more qualified to comment on jackets as if I'm not wearing this single jacket now I'm in one piece leathers.

As for pants, again...you'll need to ask others here about those. The only thing I can say is to make sure (if they're leather) they a) have a stretch panel for the bending of the leg and b) that your knee lines up with it. This will allow you to actually move your legs with them on.

Gloves I've owned are Joe Rocket and Spidi. Joe Rocket leather gloves tend to be a bit more bulky (at least the GPX ones were)...but they probably have some thinner stuff by now. You want the best dexterity you can get while still having leather/armor...and this means a glove with fat fingers is a no-no. You'll be honking your horn every time you try to use the turn signals. That said, I recommend getting gauntlet-style gloves that go over your jacket's front sleeves. Armor should be present to protect the knuckles (the ones furthest back and ideally the bend points on the fingers also). Wrist protection around the gauntlet (like more armor for example) is preferable.

I recommend that you put one of the gloves on at the shop and go over to one of the bikes and grip the handlebar.

Final thing we come to is boots. Leather. That's the first thing. You can use regular boots if they're past the ankle...I recommend you have hard-toe ones (makes shifting all the easier, too). This all depends on the kind of riding you like doing, too. I don't mind riding with my steel-toe boots on, but the contour, fit, and feel of my Sidi boots I like much better (and they're the only real option with the suit). I have only used Sidi riding boots, so others may have some additional input for other brands to check out. The downside of Sidi is the price, but really...with all of this gear in the long run higher quality gear will pay off in the end and be worth it. I tried on some Teknic boots before the Sidis...:lol they didn't come close.

Overall, I recommend you trying on all sorts of brands and do not think about the price before trying it on. In this sort of sport it pays to be the safest. That does not always mean you have to have the most expensive gear, but in certain scenarios more expensive gear fits better, and that means you're more comfortable while you ride = less distraction. That means an easier time focusing on the road and its hazards, which will naturally make you safer. And in the end, if you're willing to make a $1,200 jump to get a bike you want more, you should be able to make a few extra hundred jump for your gear combined if you need to.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the 250 after all though - talking with other cyclists, they tell me 250s aren't well suited for highway riding, that passing trucks can blow them around if you're not careful because they're too light. So I might stick with the 600 for now, and if I really dig riding, I might upgrade in a year or two. I think the recent k1200r models look like pure sex:

dgdf2a

Best of luck :)
And before you take that class...do they not provide any gear? Ours provided gloves and helmet...and then we had to have over-the-ankle boots, jeans, long-sleeve shirt. It might help to have ridden a bike a little and know its operation before going out and buying all your gear.

Nope, they don't provide anything. It's okay though. I need to start riding right away - I'll probably be using the bike as a commuter over the summer. I can always buy more gear in a month or two and eBay the stuff I don't like if need be.

Smokey

LiveFromKyoto said:
Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the 250 after all though - talking with other cyclists, they tell me 250s aren't well suited for highway riding, that passing trucks can blow them around if you're not careful because they're too light. So I might stick with the 600 for now, and if I really dig riding, I might upgrade in a year or two. I think the recent k1200r models look like pure sex:

This is what I've been hearing as well...

Smokey said:
This is what I've been hearing as well...

I haven't ridden a 250 outside of the parking lot where we did the course. The Ninja 250R is the fastest 250 made at the moment I believe. It's got a lot more punch than a Rebel, for instance. I've ridden (back when I was on my 600) with a girl who was on a 250 (granted she's a good 80-100lbs lighter than me) and we were on some big highways during some of the ride. The bike did just fine.

On my 1000 I still hate trucks. My bike is 454lbs, Ninja is 374lbs. They're not "too light" by any means. It's best to pass trucks or not follow too closely. Dealing with wind is part of learning to ride...and I can tell you that going faster does not make it easier, only harder (unless that is you're passing said truck). The bit of added weight on bigger sport bikes isn't going to do much I'd imagine.

In case any of you considering the 250R are concerned about its power/ability, look no further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4dhIaMY2Pw

That's faster than >95% of cars on the road easy. You'll be fine.

Top Bottom