• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Ichigo

Mengy said:
Man, am I the only one here who rides a Harley??? :D

Nope. I'm currently on a Sportster 1200. I'm planning on getting some pictures up over the weekend. It's my first bike and I love it to death. Although I'm jealous of the softail my Dad just picked up.

Ashhong said:
completely forgot about this thread. i need some advice so ill put a lil timeline

april 2008: took my MSF course
may 2008: got my license
june 2008: put a deposit down on a 2008 ninja 250r
july 2008: picked up my new bike!

2dvissz.jpg

man it was so sexy, i could not stop looking at it. quick impressions...if i had a choice i would not have bought it new. i tried to follow the break in recommendations but that only let me go at like 40mph. bike was definitely nimble and easy to maneuver though, although i kind of sucked.

mid-july 2008: got in a car accident where i ended up rolling the car off the freeway. one thing led to another and i decided to sell my bike.
now: everytime i look at a bike i miss it. im thinking of getting another one eventually.

the problem is, i was never fully comfortable on my 250, i barely got like 60 miles on it. but i did feel that it was too weak. counter-steering uturns were my worst enemies. should i get another 250, used this time, and practice first? ive been looking at like 02 r6's and theyre only like 2-3k on craigs, which is nice.

I hate to be short, but really...if you're not comfortable with something as simple as counter-streering, what makes you think you're ready for the same concept on a heavier bike with a more aggressive riding profile, a different engine, and several times the horsepower as the 250?

You need to get the basics first and that's something that just takes practice and time. That kind of experience isn't measured in hours or miles, but seasons. My girlfriend has an 08 250R and I ride it quite often. It is what it is; you have to rev the tits off of it to get the acceleration but it's there once you learn throttle management. The bike is no slouch for a beginner but it's tame enough to keep you from killing yourself if you get a bit ham-fisted with the throttle.

WickedAngel said:
That kind of experience isn't measured in hours or miles, but seasons.

I don't know, the basics come pretty quickly the more miles are racked up...I've only been riding 1.5 years, but I have over 10,000 miles of supersport riding. Compare that to some people who only maybe do 2,000 miles a year (you know how you see those multi-year old bikes that have <5,000 miles on them on Craigslist etc) and that would add up to 5 years of riding to match the amount I've done. I think that actually would produce a worse rider because they wouldn't have as clear of a picture of themselves as a rider to improve upon...someone who rides more often will progress quicker than someone who rides every once in a while.

That said I definitely agree if you have problems with U-turns on a 250...not a bad idea to stay at a 250. They can be resold for very little financial loss, too. I think they very well may hold their value better than a BMW or Harley :lol

thesoapster said:
I don't know, the basics come pretty quickly the more miles are racked up...I've only been riding 1.5 years, but I have over 10,000 miles of supersport riding. Compare that to some people who only maybe do 2,000 miles a year (you know how you see those multi-year old bikes that have <5,000 miles on them on Craigslist etc) and that would add up to 5 years of riding to match the amount I've done. I think that actually would produce a worse rider because they wouldn't have as clear of a picture of themselves as a rider to improve upon...someone who rides more often will progress quicker than someone who rides every once in a while.

That said I definitely agree if you have problems with U-turns on a 250...not a bad idea to stay at a 250. They can be resold for very little financial loss, too. I think they very well may hold their value better than a BMW or Harley :lol

That wasn't exactly what I meant to say as there is more to it than both time spent and the miles. I racked up a great deal of miles in a short time due to the fact that a lot of my first-year riding was done commuting to work (Which was basically a straight line that stretched for 20 miles). I learned a lot about driving behaviors of others but there were many things that were still lacking in spite of the mileage that I accumulated (Especially in regards to handling aggressive turning).

WickedAngel said:
That wasn't exactly what I meant to say as there is more to it than both time spent and the miles. I racked up a great deal of miles in a short time due to the fact that a lot of my first-year riding was done commuting to work (Which was basically a straight line that stretched for 20 miles). I learned a lot about driving behaviors of others but there were many things that were still lacking in spite of the mileage that I accumulated (Especially in regards to handling aggressive turning).

Yeah, that's true. I should've included that 95% of my miles are on country backroads (I actually try to avoid highways)...which can be straight, yes...but have plenty of twisties. I only really started getting aggressive with the corners in my last 1000 miles or so on my 750 before the accident. I'll be hitting the track soon enough so that should be good fun.

Flo_Evans

Low speed handling on an aggressive sportbike with little lock to lock and steep fork angle is a bit tricky. It's ment to go fast, not slow. You just have to remember the back tire turns the bike, the front wheel just provides tracking.

The best advice for low speed handling is again take an MSF course or the equivalent in your country. Hands on instruction and observation are the best and quickest way to figure out what you are doing wrong.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
HamPster PamPster said:
Thats a really nice looking area - got any pictures without the ugly bike? :D

I've got lots of pictures of that area. I did a 8000 mile tour of the US, from PA to Oregon and back, and have over a thousand pictures from that trip. Here are a few more of Beartooth Pass:

wct2008497.jpg

wct2008501.jpg

wct2008513.jpg

wct2008084.jpg

My coworker has the same Harley as you, only his is blue...and he put Screamin' Eagles pipes on it (including Power Commander and new air filter)...his is deafening. I would've kept it stock like yours...

Very nice pictures.

Muddimar

thesoapster said:
My last bike (K7 GSX-R750) had an Arrow Euro Cup Replica (non-street homologated). I got a PCIII and tried out some of the maps from DynoJet. If he's saying you'll see 8-10 HP gain from a slip/bolt-on he's fucking with you or thought you had a full system. The only reason I would get a Power Commander again with a non-full system is if the exhaust had popping (mini backfires...unspent fumes being ignited before they exit the pipe) on decel (which mine did...). I'd wait until I get a full system before doing another dyno run/tune. Check your exhaust manufacturer's site...it should have a section on your pipe about expected HP gains. I think for cat-back pipes gains are in the range of 2-3 HP. If you had a mid-pipe also that got rid of the catalytic converter altogether, THEN you might be able to get 8-10 HP gains.

Thanks for the reply. He did mention that my bike was running a bit lean? I guess meaning there was some room for tweaking? Would this still be an impossibility to gain as much as he had mentioned?

thesoapster said:
My coworker has the same Harley as you, only his is blue...and he put Screamin' Eagles pipes on it (including Power Commander and new air filter)...his is deafening. I would've kept it stock like yours...

Very nice pictures.

I know they say "loud pipes save lives", but... he better be wearing extremely good earplugs plus a full face helmet, or he's losing his hearing, fast.

K0NY

Man, I love all the bike shots. I've been wanting to get my license and get one, but the wife is threatening to leave me if I start riding. She went so far as to say, she'd rather catch me banging another women than buying a motorcycle. :/

K0NY said:
Man, I love all the bike shots. I've been wanting to get my license and get one, but the wife is threatening to leave me if I start riding. She went so far as to say, she'd rather catch me banging another women than buying a motorcycle. :/

She's just scared I guess, and doesn't realise it isn't a "death machine". What I'd do is suggest to take a Motorcycle Safety Course together, and then if she really doesn't like it still, you won't pursue it. I think that would help at least clear the misconceptions about riding with her.

Riding is a higher risk activity than driving a car. I'll never deny that.

But it isn't that much higher, if you're a responsible driver, wear your gear and keep the "stupid shit" (stunts and high speeds) to the track. If you make the right decisions before you even sit on a bike, you'll be riding for years and years.

If you make the wrong decisions (buying a 1200cc supersport as your first bike and go out regularly in t-shirt and shorts), then you might not have a happy ending.

Most fatalities are for young guys on overpowered bikes with improper gear in a single vehicle crash (ie they fucked up bad).

Dragona Akehi said:
I know they say "loud pipes save lives", but... he better be wearing extremely good earplugs plus a full face helmet, or he's losing his hearing, fast.

No, and no. I'd say 9/10 cruiser riders here do not wear full face helmets. I like loud pipes, but not that fucking loud. I mean...they're just straight pipes...no baffling. Loouuudddd. If he crashes he'll be losing his face quicker than his hearing.

Muddimar said:
Thanks for the reply. He did mention that my bike was running a bit lean? I guess meaning there was some room for tweaking? Would this still be an impossibility to gain as much as he had mentioned?

Which exhaust do you have? If you still have the original catalytic converter and it's a slip-on/bolt-on...yeah, I'd say 8-10 HP is impossible from exhaust + PCIII. Running a bit lean is one thing (basically since you changed the pipes it's likely that air is flowing more freely...making your fuel/air mixture lean), but 8-10 HP...the only way you could gain that is if you somehow lost HP in the process of adding the Power Commander and pipe...so your fuel map would have to be hella messed up...so correcting a problem like that I suppose you could gain that much HP...but you would've had to do something like put the completely wrong fuel map on there or something along those lines...

K0NY said:

Your path is clear: you must bang another woman.

Dragona's suggestion is better.

Dragona Akehi said:
Most fatalities are for young guys on overpowered bikes with improper gear in a single vehicle crash (ie they fucked up bad).

I don't know about there, but in the U.S. over half of fatalities involve the rider being under the influence of alcohol (BIG no no)...also over half of fatal accidents involve a rider that is not licensed.

Flo_Evans

I miss the mountains. These pathetic hills off in the distance are the best we have around here.

9t0h2o.jpg

Getting ready to launch.

zn56z7.jpg

We found some creeks.

4uargh.jpg

My bike was loving it. :D

15ph8hf.jpg

These things are nuts. Like huge water buffalo. :lol dudes where great riders. They had highway tires on 500lbs. bikes in loose (and deep) gravel.

fa5wfo.jpg

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Great pictures...you guys are nuts :lol

You should try it sometime. There is something magical about splashing through creeks and stepping the tail out around turns. :D

I think riding on dirt has made me a better street rider. You gain a new appreciation for finding the edge of traction :D

thesoapster said:
No, and no. I'd say 9/10 cruiser riders here do not wear full face helmets. I like loud pipes, but not that fucking loud. I mean...they're just straight pipes...no baffling. Loouuudddd. If he crashes he'll be losing his face quicker than his hearing.

Well before he loses his face, he's losing his hearing now. Even if he just starts wearing plugs, it'd be a huge improvement for him. Not that I'm expecting you to convince him, but I really just don't understand people sometimes. They spend all that money on their bike, and don't even think to take care of the most precious/expensive thing: their life and good health. :S

I don't know about there, but in the U.S. over half of fatalities involve the rider being under the influence of alcohol (BIG no no)...also over half of fatal accidents involve a rider that is not licensed.

Well, I really don't want to think about the fatality rate in the US, where half the fucking states don't even have helmet laws. Jesus. But yeah, for K0NY, he can take that into consideration: be smart, stay safe, respect your bike.

Follow those rules and you should be fine... and if not, you'd probably have gotten killed in a car anyway (a big lorry is going to kill anyone who isn't also in an enormous lorry). That sounds kinda morbid, now that I think about it...

Flo_Evans said:
I miss the mountains. These pathetic hills off in the distance are the best we have around here.

Getting ready to launch.

We found some creeks.

My bike was loving it. :D

These things are nuts. Like huge water buffalo. :lol dudes where great riders. They had highway tires on 500lbs. bikes in loose (and deep) gravel.

Your pics are really making me think about getting an enduro-type of some sort. Haha, it's been awhile since I've been offroad at all...

and I have to mention here Soapster: your video rocks! I'm watching it and feeling like I'm right there on the bike!

Spent the day at the cycle dealers as my partner's son was buying a new back Suzuki M109.

Beautiful bike. And god I love hanging out at the bike shop all day!

Suzuki_M109R_Motorcycles.jpg

Dragona Akehi said:
and I have to mention here Soapster: your video rocks! I'm watching it and feeling like I'm right there on the bike!

You must come to the dark side (supersport of course!) :D

I'll be getting footage at the track...I'm excited to see how that turns out. I imagine within 2.5 months I will have done a track day.

Flo_Evans said:
You should try it sometime. There is something magical about splashing through creeks and stepping the tail out around turns. :D

I think riding on dirt has made me a better street rider. You gain a new appreciation for finding the edge of traction :D

Some day we'll see :)

So far all I've ridden off road are sport ATVs, and those were good fun (took them on sand dunes).

I don't think I've posted these before...but all motorcyclists should enjoy them in a way. I'd love to do something like this some day (or really any race event).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxwZxXMr9eU part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MepyIb9FEQ part 2

Flo_Evans

Wow awesome vids! I would love to ride that course but man. IDK about going into a corner 4 wide and fighting for position. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHA7zaEgMxM

Here is a great vid that sums up the dual sport experience. :D

Dragona Akehi said:
Your pics are really making me think about getting an enduro-type of some sort. Haha, it's been awhile since I've been offroad at all...

The only problem with enduros is the seat height. I believe you mentioned before you wanted something that you could comfortable flat foot at stoplights. I have a 30" inseam and I am on my tiptoes. Throwing you leg over it can be a challenge after a long day. :lol

Flo_Evans said:
The only problem with enduros is the seat height. I believe you mentioned before you wanted something that you could comfortable flat foot at stoplights. I have a 30" inseam and I am on my tiptoes. Throwing you leg over it can be a challenge after a long day. :lol

My problem is that most bikes aren't tall enough. That's why I'm not fond of SuperSport... I find it hard to fold my legs up on them. Though I've heard Honda is more accomodating here, I haven't really found a SS that works well for me. Also why I dislike lowrider design. My Shadow could definitely be taller to be more comfortable.

Flo_Evans said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHA7zaEgMxM

Here is a great vid that sums up the dual sport experience. :D

Very nice :D

Dragona Akehi said:
My problem is that most bikes aren't tall enough. That's why I'm not fond of SuperSport... I find it hard to fold my legs up on them. Though I've heard Honda is more accomodating here, I haven't really found a SS that works well for me. Also why I dislike lowrider design. My Shadow could definitely be taller to be more comfortable.

I'm not the tallest by any means (5'11" with 30" inseam), but practically all of them are comfortable to me for my legs. Yamahas are supposedly quite friendly for taller riders ergonomically...I'm not sure. Even so, you can get aftermarket rearsets that are fully adjustable up/down back/forward.

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:

Oh I see you mean seat to peg height? Most enduros aren't that great in that regard either as the pegs are high for ground clearance and they are made to be ridden standing up.

tay-xch.jpg

Not as bad as a supersport but on long highway stretches my legs do cramp up and I wish I had more room. On my ducati I would often stretch out and rest my feet on the passenger pegs. Oh and excuse the tennis shoes this was my 1st test ride and I din't have my boots.

thesoapster said:
I'm not the tallest by any means (5'11" with 30" inseam), but practically all of them are comfortable to me for my legs. Yamahas are supposedly quite friendly for taller riders ergonomically...I'm not sure. Even so, you can get aftermarket rearsets that are fully adjustable up/down back/forward.

I'm really not comfortable with aftermarket stuff that starts changing your intended seating position on the bike (pegs, handlebars), because I always feel it becoming off-balance. Maybe one of these days I'll do a track day and try out a bunch of SuperSports and see if there's one I like.

Flo_Evans said:
Oh I see you mean seat to peg height? Most enduros aren't that great in that regard either as the pegs are high for ground clearance and they are made to be ridden standing up.

Yeah I should have been more clear. I understand why enduros are set up that way, because standing is the only way to take some of those humps. :p

Not as bad as a supersport but on long highway stretches my legs do cramp up and I wish I had more room. On my ducati I would often stretch out and rest my feet on the passenger pegs. Oh and excuse the tennis shoes this was my 1st test ride and I din't have my boots.

Ack, I can't imagine sitting like that for long without doing something stupidly dangerous, and getting my leg taken off. :(

What do you guys think of a Suzuki SV650 for a beginner's bike. I've never ridden a motorcycle, but it's something I think would be pretty fun for cruising.

I'm really a fan of that bike from what I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's a good starter.

IamMattFox said:
What do you guys think of a Suzuki SV650 for a beginner's bike. I've never ridden a motorcycle, but it's something I think would be pretty fun for cruising.

I'm really a fan of that bike from what I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's a good starter.

Take the MSF Basic Rider Course first and see if you like riding. In the class you'll ride a 250 and learn the basics. Assuming you do like riding, get your license after passing. I've known quite a few people who've started on SVs...however a good number of riders would recommend to start smaller. I honestly cannot say to not do it...after MSF I started on a used CBR600RR (a 600cc race replica). I did just fine on it...rode it a little over 5,000 miles before selling it without incident.

So, take the class...and if you are going to move to something like an SV, just be careful starting. Like I said I know a few people who started on them and did just fine...throttle control is one of the first things you'll learn (in fact, once the bike is started, clutch/throttle control are the first things you do in MSF)...if you twist your wrist and you're not used to it/prepared, you're going to be in for one hell of a surprise. Take it slow, and be careful. And get some good gear (helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, pants).

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm really not comfortable with aftermarket stuff that starts changing your intended seating position on the bike (pegs, handlebars), because I always feel it becoming off-balance. Maybe one of these days I'll do a track day and try out a bunch of SuperSports and see if there's one I like.

Yeah I should have been more clear. I understand why enduros are set up that way, because standing is the only way to take some of those humps. :p

Ack, I can't imagine sitting like that for long without doing something stupidly dangerous, and getting my leg taken off. :(

I think you may be a bit over cautious. Small changes like bar risers, lowered footpegs or a higher seat with more padding will not upset the geometry of the bike so much that it becomes hazardous! If anything adjusting the bike to your ergonomics will make it safer and more enjoyable to ride.

As long as you are not doing anything drastic like this moron, a few inches here or there for your own comfort is not a big deal.

2q0vhnm.jpg

:lol

Ashhong

WickedAngel said:
I hate to be short, but really...if you're not comfortable with something as simple as counter-streering, what makes you think you're ready for the same concept on a heavier bike with a more aggressive riding profile, a different engine, and several times the horsepower as the 250?

You need to get the basics first and that's something that just takes practice and time. That kind of experience isn't measured in hours or miles, but seasons. My girlfriend has an 08 250R and I ride it quite often. It is what it is; you have to rev the tits off of it to get the acceleration but it's there once you learn throttle management. The bike is no slouch for a beginner but it's tame enough to keep you from killing yourself if you get a bit ham-fisted with the throttle.

i dont have a problem with counter-steering, it was low speed uturns. i meant to say counter-weight turning. in all honesty it was probably because i just didnt practice enough. i was able to get it down in the MSF and barely did the figure 8 inside of the box. if i had practiced more im sure id be able to do it just fine. ill probably go back to a 250R again, just have to wait for it to drop in price.

Ashhong said:
i dont have a problem with counter-steering, it was low speed uturns. i meant to say counter-weight turning. in all honesty it was probably because i just didnt practice enough. i was able to get it down in the MSF and barely did the figure 8 inside of the box. if i had practiced more im sure id be able to do it just fine. ill probably go back to a 250R again, just have to wait for it to drop in price.

I wouldn't hang on for a drop in price; if anything, it's going to go up. They've already increased the MSRP by $500 and the things are still seeing insane demand. The price has always been enticing but the new styling and updates put them over the top.

Don't be embarrassed to go to a large parking lot and practice stuff like that.

Ashhong

WickedAngel said:
I wouldn't hang on for a drop in price; if anything, it's going to go up. They've already increased the MSRP by $500 and the things are still seeing insane demand. The price has always been enticing but the new styling and updates put them over the top.

Don't be embarrassed to go to a large parking lot and practice stuff like that.

they increased the MSRP? FUCKKKKKK should have just kept mine when i had it. that means dealers are gonna be selling at 5k easy.

daw840

I went on a ride this weekend to a friend's house so I could change the oil on the bike. While changing the oil we found a quarter sized hole in the right muffler that was spraying exhaust out quite badly. So, it's time to get a new one. I'm fine with that, I would like to get a new 4 into 1 header and a good aftermarket muffler. I will also need a jet kit for the carbs. Does anyone here have any suggestions on where to find these parts? I have googled some things, but it seems like parts for my 84 Nighthawk 700S are a little hard to come by. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

garath

Ashhong said:

It's all practice and experience. I even skipped lunch on the second day at MSF to practice the figure 8 and still ended up butchering it.

However, 3 years later I'm able to take a 1800cc harley and run tiny little circles in a parking lot without touching feet down. My dad and I rented harleys over xmas in Florida and the dealer wanted us to maneuver the harley around the parking lot. I actually surprised myself that I could handle such a large machine that easily.

It's just practice and experience.

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
I went on a ride this weekend to a friend's house so I could change the oil on the bike. While changing the oil we found a quarter sized hole in the right muffler that was spraying exhaust out quite badly. So, it's time to get a new one. I'm fine with that, I would like to get a new 4 into 1 header and a good aftermarket muffler. I will also need a jet kit for the carbs. Does anyone here have any suggestions on where to find these parts? I have googled some things, but it seems like parts for my 84 Nighthawk 700S are a little hard to come by. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Carb jet kit http://www.bikebandit.com/jet-kits-for-1984-honda-cb700sc-nighthawk-700/c/a676379?m=9660&t=1

As for the headers and muffler, it is unlikely you will be able to find a bolt on specific part for a bike of that vintage. You can probably find some slip ons that would fit but a header would probably have to be custom made and expensive.

I'm surprised to see him wearing a helmet.

Anyway I guess you could say that I'm paranoid regarding motorcycle aftermarket stuff. I'm not too good mechanically with things in general, so I don't like to muss with stuff.

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm surprised to see him wearing a helmet.

Anyway I guess you could say that I'm paranoid regarding motorcycle aftermarket stuff. I'm not too good mechanically with things in general, so I don't like to muss with stuff.

Well if you look at the sign you can see it's Missouri. We (had) mandatory helmet laws here until a few days ago. For some reason I can't even fathom they voted to repeal the law and only require helmets on the interstate. All the harley riders cruising from bar to bar will be overjoyed I'm sure. Oh well darwinism will take it's course I guess.

Flo_Evans said:
Well if you look at the sign you can see it's Missouri. We (had) mandatory helmet laws here until a few days ago. For some reason I can't even fathom they voted to repeal the law and only require helmets on the interstate. All the harley riders cruising from bar to bar will be overjoyed I'm sure. Oh well darwinism will take it's course I guess.

It was probably repealed because of these guys. They are fucking nuts. Honestly, this just makes things worse for newbies, because they'll read bullshit like this, and then truly believe they'll be 'fine' without a helmet.

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
It was probably repealed because of these guys. They are fucking nuts. Honestly, this just makes things worse for newbies, because they'll read bullshit like this, and then truly believe they'll be 'fine' without a helmet.

I really don't get it. I once get into a heated argument with my uncle (from Illinois where they have never had a helmet law) he claimed that helmets interfered with your peripheral vision and where more dangerous than riding with nothing! :lol

I put on my helmet and showed him that it was BS but he still wouldn't listen. Not to mention, the 1-2% peripheral vision loss that may occur can easily be solved by this thing called you neck! Guess looking around and scanning for hazards interferes with the cool blank 100 yard stare you must adopt while on a hog.

I am not one for government intervention in every little aspect of my life, but helmets are such a no-brainer (heh) that I have zero problems with helmet laws.

What about all the shit that sometimes bounces up and into your face? I've had some serious pebbles/pieces of rock/grit bounce up against my helmet, resulting in a horrible *thwack* noise. Glad it wasn't my head.

Flo_Evans said:
I really don't get it. I once get into a heated argument with my uncle (from Illinois where they have never had a helmet law) he claimed that helmets interfered with your peripheral vision and where more dangerous than riding with nothing! :lol

I put on my helmet and showed him that it was BS but he still wouldn't listen. Not to mention, the 1-2% peripheral vision loss that may occur can easily be solved by this thing called you neck! Guess looking around and scanning for hazards interferes with the cool blank 100 yard stare you must adopt while on a hog.

I am not one for government intervention in every little aspect of my life, but helmets are such a no-brainer (heh) that I have zero problems with helmet laws.

I'm a socialist commie pinko pig, so I have no problems with seatbelt and helmet laws. In fact, I don't understand why people try so hard to repeal them. "Let me decide" means, "watch our insurance rates go through the fucking roof here" on the most pragmatic of levels. Even in countries with universal health care.

Back when these organisations were first put together (in the 70s, if I remember right to protest the first helmet laws in the US), the oldtimers would remember a time they could go helmetless... but bikes were really underpowered compared to then (the 70s), let alone now. Motorways weren't nearly as large or overcrowded, there were less people on the road overall, etc. Helmet technology was basically a leather hat, and really wouldn't have made a difference.

Now? God, someone put them away. You're just fucking it up for the rest of us, and those who want to start (see K0NY's whole problem with his wife. Those statistics can't help). Fatalities in the states with repealed helmet laws, tripled, I remember reading, right after the laws were repealed.

Fallout-NL said:
What about all the shit that sometimes bounces up and into your face? I've had some serious pebbles/pieces of rock/grit bounce up against my helmet, resulting in a horrible *thwack* noise. Glad it wasn't my head.

Well obviously, you're not manly enough then. Seriously, I know people in states where laws were repealed actually felt pressured to stop wearing helmets because it was "wussy".

I know.

I know.

Dragona Akehi said:
Seriously, I know people in states where laws were repealed actually felt pressured to stop wearing helmets because it was "wussy".

I know.

I know.

Holy shit :lol.

Anyway, some pictures:

3007b6f.jpg

ibl5jc.jpg

vwzi2u.jpg

2zq68sm.jpg

I took it for a spin last weekend for the first time and it was glorious. I'd heard a lot about it being a very difficult bike, but I had no trouble at all. It's just so stable, so fast, so perfect. I love it.

Another thing about this bike is that it feels like the motorcycle equivalent of a Ferrari. Everybody's looking at you, smiling, opening the windows of their cars to listen to it. It's a great experience. Best thing I ever bought.

Flo_Evans

Damn that thing is sexy man. I need another duc in the garage ASAP. I am getting married, closing on a house and taking a honeymoon in the next few weeks though so I don't think it's in the stars right now. :(

Flo_Evans said:
Damn that thing is sexy man. I need another duc in the garage ASAP. I am getting married, closing on a house and taking a honeymoon in the next few weeks though so I don't think it's in the stars right now. :(

You get the Duc, she gets your BMW! Win-win!

I really am getting more and more enchanted by the Triumph Scramblers... even though there's no way in hell I could ever afford one.

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
You get the Duc, she gets your BMW! Win-win!

I really am getting more and more enchanted by the Triumph Scramblers... even though there's no way in hell I could ever afford one.

I wish I could get her to ride. She has problems (and by problems I mean she can't do it at all...) with a manual transmission car though so IDK how she could handle all the stuff on a bike. She has ridden on the back of the monster but didn't really enjoy it.

We did talk about buying her a scooter last year when gas as $4 a gallon.

Top Bottom