• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ND Jan 23rd 2013) New Pikmin 3 Screenshots

TriGen

The new screens look worse than the old ones, so I'm guessing they're not really that "new." I think the game will be fine, it did start with the Wii so it's certainly not gonna look great (I'm guessing 3D Mario will be the impressive graphics game for Wii U), but I doubt those 3 screens mean this game is going backwards.

Glass Rebel

I find it a bit difficult to judge the game's graphics.

It's not a graphical powerhouse by any means but they really nailed the look and atmosphere. Especially the DOF looks great and the dark scenes in the video StreetsAhead posted look amazing. Pikmin has the disadvantage of the overhead camera which also "hurts" strategy games on PC. First/Third-Person action games will always have this advantage that they can play a lot with the camera.

Edit: will it be 60fps?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What does everyone think of the character designs? I have to say, I kinda like them, especially the green guy, but I do wonder why they went down to three captains...maybe the other footage we've seen is mostly multiplayer?

For reference:

I don't know. Or they had issues in handling 4 charas, or that could have been multiplayer footage.
But seriously: we know that it has multiplayer, but there too muck lack of info for this aspect.

mLdndpx.jpg

Nintendo. Please read this Nintendo:

I love the artsyle of this game. So why would you let jaggies RUIN the beautiful art that you worked so hard on?

SERIOUSLY.. the jaggies almost jump at you in these screens. The Wii-U is perfectly capable of some sort of nice anti aliassing. Please use it!

Sure there are blind people who don't care, but i expect Nintendo to be their own best critic.

The Depth of field is awesome in this game, since it enhances the Macro world atmosphere. But it's not enough to hide the aweful jaggies Nintendo.

rOk8qEC.jpg

Such awesome characters! Loving the expansion of the Pikmin universe.
These guys look like they could support their own tv show.

Nintendo. Please read this Nintendo:

I love the artsyle of this game. So why would you let jaggies RUIN the beautiful art that you worked so hard on?

SERIOUSLY.. the jaggies almost jump at you in these screens. The Wii-U is perfectly capable of some sort of nice anti aliassing. Please use it!

Sure there are blind people who don't care, but i expect Nintendo to be their own best critic.

The Depth of field is awesome in this game, since it enhances the Macro world atmosphere. But it's not enough to hide the aweful jaggies Nintendo.
Will the game really be looking like that with jaggies??? This is the first screen I see that look like that.

Not good enough quality of video to tell if the low res textures and aliasing will be really detrimental or not.

I don't know if you've played Pikmin before but you spend most of the game with the camera zoomed out pretty far so you can see your surroundings and army. Low-res textures aren't gonna be such a big issue.

MarkusRJR

I don't know if you've played Pikmin before but you spend most of the game with the camera zoomed out pretty far so you can see your surroundings and army. Low-res textures aren't gonna be such a big issue.
I played Pikmin 1 and 2 and I found the aliasing incredibly distracting. Maybe it's because I barely played the first on the GameCube, and actually got into the series on the Wii. Whenever the game zooms in at all it looks really bad too.

I just wished Nintendo actually took the graphics to a different level now that it's been 2 generations. I can imagine a Pikmin game with an art style based on clay animation or on photo-realism looking really good (like in the promo materials/art). It could've been a graphical showcase for the system which we definitely need at this point, but it's just not the case and it's disappointing. Pikmin is one of the few games, along with Metroid and Star Fox, that could really take advantage of the new hardware in the Wii U.

What did become apparent to me while watching the video is how obviously place-holder those throwing and running animations are. Worse than "X".

I want this game released.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I played Pikmin 1 and 2 and I found the aliasing incredibly distracting. Maybe it's because I barely played the first on the GameCube, and actually got into the series on the Wii. Whenever the game zooms in at all it looks really bad too.

I just wished Nintendo actually took the graphics to a different level now that it's been 2 generations. I can imagine a Pikmin game with an art style based on clay animation or on photo-realism looking really good (like in the promo materials/art). It could've been a graphical showcase for the system which we definitely need at this point, but it's just not the case and it's disappointing. Pikmin is one of the few games, along with Metroid and Star Fox, that could really take advantage of the new hardware in the Wii U.

a game started developing on the Wii cannot be a graphical showcase of the Wii U.
hope for a AA implementation in any case.

but I'm way more interest in knowing date and multiplayer details up to now.

wiiupikmin3characters.jpg

Notice that the order is D A B C.

Maybe Mr. Green Haired and Tall there is the last Captain to join the team?

Or maybe he really did get cut...:(

kinggroin

Banned
It blows my mind that people are expecting some graphical powerhouse from Pikmin. The game is all about the art style and gameplay. Like expecting Mario bros U to knock your socks off graphically. Its just not gonna happen. Having said that this looks amazing to me. Mainly due to the art direction and lighting.

If you're mind is blown by those expectations, I suggest you read reviews and gamer impressions on past entries in these two series. NSMB may be the only time mainline mario games haven't been praised for their visuals.

I think most folk in here feel confident that the gameplay being great in Pikmin 3, is a given. We're just disappointed that, at least with the new batch of screens, the substantial performance increase afforded by the Wii U seems to be under utilized.

i'm all for the fluff, but i'd rather them work on things like funny pikmin behavior than focus too much on the textures n stuff

You heard it here first, folks. The texture guy is also responsible for Pikmin AI! Chief Gameplay Officer, even! So multi-talented.

And for people saying the Gamecube texture comments are hyperbole:

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20061103051519023_640w.jpg

Yeah, gameplay is most important, but the graphics are also somewhat hinderingly bad in those latest Pikmin 3 shots. And how dare people who spend $350 on a new console be disappointed that a game looks like something from a decade+ year-old system. Nobody is arguing that gameplay isn't the most important thing, here, but the graphics are practically objectively not where they should be.

Pyrokai

Goodness, I come in here to talk about Pikmin and it's just a graphics discussion. I can't wait until the day where graphics are essentially not a thing. I think Nintendo will thrive in that era, too.

Anyway, I think the game looks gorgeous.

Just realized since the reveal, there never was Olimar. Je me sens pas bien là...

Yes, it appears that Olimar is not in the game, or at least not one of the main playable characters. I believe they touched on it, or mentioned it, at E3.

Still looks beautiful to me besides the water which seems to lack reflections or something?

Yes, no reflections during gameplay for clarity, presumably. The title screen in the E3 demo had water reflections.

As seen here: http://youtu.be/WxWIvaD2XQI?t=1m22s

It can be clearly seen that the game has Wii roots, however i would never look into the technical part on a Pikimin game, rather on the gameplay.
Damn you guys have low standards. Remember playing Pikmin 1 and 2 and thinking the visuals were state of the art? I do. This is disappointing.

Boogybro

You heard it here first, folks. The texture guy is also responsible for Pikmin AI! Chief Gameplay Officer, even! So multi-talented.

And for people saying the Gamecube texture comments are hyperbole:

Yeah, gameplay is most important, but the graphics are also somewhat hinderingly bad in those latest Pikmin 3 shots. And how dare people who spend $350 on a new console be disappointed that a game looks like something from a decade+ year-old system. Nobody is arguing that gameplay isn't the most important thing, here, but the graphics are practically objectively not where they should be.

lel

I would bet my left nut that Pikmin 3 isn't really putting the WiiUs hardawre to the test at all - To me, all these screenshots just look like they upped the res of a Wii game. Most of these textures look like 256s - the lighting is primitive, no SSAO or other cool effects to make it feel a bit more sophisticated. My guess is that they just wanted to wrap up the title quickly for the WiiU and are now only focused on upping the gameplay, not the graphics since Nintendo probably thinks it's good enough. And it very well might be good enough. But I'd shit my pants if I'd get a Pikmin that'd look more like those promo shots.

Darryl

Banned

i don't really know what you're tryin to say here, lol. i assume nintendo assigns talent on a per-game basis, any extra talent would probably move studios to work on one of nintendo's other projects. so if they decide that texture work isn't really that important for the game, they could move them to work on Mario 3D, and hire extra AI talent to work on Pikmin.

OryoN

You think Pikmin can compete with GTA5, new CoD, PS4, and 720?

Is it better to have nothing to go against such attractive options?

I see people using the "Rayman's Legends argument," but that was a totally different case where Rayman on PS360 would be directly competing on games on the same platform.. In the case of competition on other systems, have history ever shown that it's a bad thing to have a strong lineup - at any given time - to compete against popular games on other consoles?

The only way Pikmin 3 would be negatively affected from launching next to popular games on other consoles, is for those people who own multiple consoles and have the choice between Pikmin 3 and something else. Even then, the game is so vastly different in it's appeal, that those people may add it to their library along with whatever popular game they wanted - if they can afford it. Ultimately, none of those games mentioned will stop Pikmin 3 from finding it's consumer base...however niche that may be.

In any case, here's the more critical matter:

Building Wii U's install base is - right now - much more important than sales of individual games. So, if it were to be delayed, I'm confident Nintendo wouldn't think twice about releasing it against the most popular games/consoles on the planet.

Xun

This game started development on the Wii, no?

We don't know how much they actually got done when it started development on the Wii, so I don't think it's fair to judge the game on its graphics.

I am baffled by the lack of AA however, but Nintendo hasn't fully grasped AA for whatever reason.

ASIS

We don't know how much they actually got done when it started development on the Wii, so I don't think it's fair to judge the game on its graphics.

I am baffled by the lack of AA however, but Nintendo hasn't fully grasped AA for whatever reason.

What is AA BTW? From what I understand its to remove jaggies correct? Does it have any potential impact on the gameplay?

Shiggy

See a doctor

And if you're playing Pikmin for its graphics, you're playing wrong.

Why do you need a Wii U then if it could be working perfectly well on the Wii? The game uses Wii controls and does not use the online capabilities of the Wii U (because of Nintendo's laziness... the Pikmin 2 multiplayer was pretty great).

wsippel

Banned
Why do you need a Wii U then if it could be working perfectly well on the Wii? The game uses Wii controls and does not use the online capabilities of the Wii U (because of Nintendo's laziness... the Pikmin 2 multiplayer was pretty great).
Because the game isn't on Wii.

AOC83

Banned

That´s not really an excuse. They are working on this for several years now, that should be more than enough time to bring the graphics up to speed.

Xun

What is AA BTW? From what I understand its to remove jaggies correct? Does it have any potential impact on the gameplay?
Yes.

Anti-aliasing shouldn't be an issue at all for the Wii U to accomplish, so I have no idea why they aren't utilising it.

Most 360/PS3 games have AA, and for a more powerful system it's baffling as to why it's not being used.

QaaQer

Yep. 60fps, 720p.

It's an RTS, not a shooter or a racer. What PS360 RTS does it look bad next to?

what rts does it play like, or is it its own beast? I've never played a pikmin game, so I'm just wondering.

as far as grfx go, I'm going wait till release before judging.

what rts does it play like, or is it its own beast? I've never played a pikmin game, so I'm just wondering.

as far as grfx go, I'm going wait till release before judging.
It's less wargame and more Nintendo-ish adventure/exploration/puzzle solving, but it's still a take on RTS mechanics at it's core (unit directed combat, resource management, etc). The closest cousin on PS360 are probably the Overlord games, which take pretty direct inspiration from Pikmin.

Top Bottom