• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Breitbart has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

I echo the sentiment that I feel for his family and it's tragic that someone so young has died, but his public persona was absolutely vile.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm something of a moral relativist, but the methods Breitbart and his ilk in the right wing radio, Drudge Report, and Fox News deploy are indisputably dishonest, misleading and immoral.

There's nothing wrong with calling him out or saying that his brand of "journalism" was doing damage to our political discourse.
I think it was restoring it to its proper original blatant role.

But then I also argue we should go back to having the candidates rolling out the barrels of liquor on election day and voting if we want.
What could be wrong with making money by tearing other people down? Why it's a perfectly acceptable trade for a man to make his life's work says I!
Hey, take it up with hundreds of years of media, not me.

But then I also argue we should go back to having the candidates rolling out the barrels of liquor on election day and voting if we want.

Hey, take it up with hundreds of years of media, not me.

If you're not going to make an effort to defend it, why did you even bother disagreeing in the first place.

Another way of saying this would be that he helped set our system of journalism back by at least several decades, reneging on the promise of a truly free and objective press from the mid-to-late 20th century.

I don't see anybody actively celebrating his death, merely pointing out that he was a scummy character, which he was. I don't think that entails calling people "scum".

For me, I didn't like him, so I don't give a damn about his death but I don't think it's a good thing considering the family he left behind and I hope the best for them.

You don't have to not like him, but for a 43 year old successful guy to just die out of the blue like this is sad, no matter who it is. Frankly I can't stand a character like a Chris Matthews, but would I feel sadness that he died way before his time? Absolutely. And he's not a scummy character, you just think he is because he's opposite of you politically.

You have people here who're like "He's an awful human being because he's a conservative and advocates for conservative causes and exposes liberals, so I don't give a crap that he died" and then try to cover it up by saying they care about his family. I just think its offensive. These threads about the deaths of conservatives always gets down in the gutter really fast.

EDIT: And there's another example right above my post.

benjipwns

Banned
If you're not going to make an effort to defend it, why did you even bother disagreeing in the first place.
I questioned the notion of a "proper discourse" and if you want to consider that a defense, then I agree.

Breitbart was a hero. Who else would hijack a press conference like he did the Weiner one?

Deconstructing the media's complete failure to provide anything of value is something more people, left, right, insane, should be doing at the effectiveness of Breitbart.
Another way of saying this would be that he helped set our system of journalism back by at least several decades, reneging on the promise of a truly free and objective press from the mid-to-late 20th century.
An objective press is impossible. A "truly free" press looks like Breitbart.

ElRenoRaven

That's so sad. Rest in peace Andrew. I really feel for his wife and kids. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cenkonb.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You don't have to not like him, but for a 43 year old successful guy to just die out of the blue like this is sad, no matter who it is. Frankly I can't stand a character like a Chris Matthews, but would I feel sadness that he died way before his time? Absolutely. And he's not a scummy character, you just think he is because he's opposite of you politically.

And here comes the false equivalency train, right on time!

CHOO CHOO!

KingGondo

Banned
You don't have to not like him, but for a 43 year old successful guy to just die out of the blue like this is sad, no matter who it is.
No, it's not. His "success" was founded upon deception and lies, and his main contribution was to significantly alter our political discourse for the worse.

It's not a contradiction to feel sympathy for his family but to point out that he was a scumbag who never contributed anything positive.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sad for his family, but this is good news for our politics. The man was a cancer on the system.

I am hesitant to call him a cancer. I think all opinions, especially in our US American culture, deserve their own say. And love it or hate it, he had a lot of people that agreed with him, so he served them as a legitimate mouthpiece for their ideals and beliefs.

I tend to seperate what he wrote on his blog and his appearances at Occupy protests. Partly, I think it was a publicity stunt for many of his readers. I'm not apologinzing for what he did, but you have to admit the man was smart and understood his trget audience and what they wanted.

Having worked on political campaigns, I've interacted with people form the opposite side and allied groups. We're all patriots that want to improve this country. We just all have different opinions of how to do it.

Jeff-DSA

And here comes the false equivalency train, right on time!

CHOO CHOO!

I got a one month ban because when Ted Kennedy died I said that even though I wasn't happy that he had died, that he wasn't anywhere near the saint he was made out to be. People here are being far more terrible and they won't even get a 10 second ban.

Of course it boils down to politics and opinion. Stop acting like it doesn't.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I am hesitant to call him a cancer. I think all opinions, especially in our US American culture, deserve their own say. And love it or hate it, he had a lot of people that agreed with him, so he served them as a legitimate mouthpiece for their ideals and beliefs.
People don't hate him for his beliefs. They hate him for his blatant misrepresentation of the truth.

Everyone who worked at ACORN lost their job over lies publicized by him. Shirley Sherrod had to resign in shame over lies publicized by him.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but don't edit some footage to make it seem like it says something it doesn't and cause people to lose their jobs.

Enron

Banned
I got a one month ban because when Ted Kennedy died I said that even though I wasn't happy that he had died, that he wasn't anywhere near the saint he was made out to be. People here are being far more terrible and they won't even get a 10 second ban.

Of course it boils down to politics and opinion. Stop acting like it doesn't.

This. 1000x times this.

People don't hate him for his beliefs. They hate him for his blatant misrepresentation of the truth.

Everyone who worked at ACORN lost their job over lies publicized by him. Shirley Sherrod had to resign in shame over lies publicized by him.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but don't edit some footage to make it seem like it says something it doesn't and cause people to lose their jobs.
So I take it you don't like Michael Moore then?

benjipwns

Banned
I'm sure Shirley Sherrod isn't losing sleep over this.
But that's the best part. They fucked that up so much Breitbart won.

He had the edited video and yet they acted on that despite the entire video already being available. So he got to run around FOX for weeks talking about how Obama fires people whenever he speaks without looking at the facts.

The guy loved the rage he created.

All I can think about is that he had four small kids. What horrible situation

I may have disagreed with him but that seems petty to focus on. I didn't know the man, neither did you. I'd imagine he made good money so his family will be we financially, but that doesn't make up for such a huge loss especially for kids. Damn

WTF how could you NOT like Chris Matthews. I lean conservative and love him. He just as such an overflowing passion and love for politics and political history in general that it's contagious.

Pity about his family, that's never cool no matter what your political viewpoint is, or what shit flies out of your mouth. Sympathies to his children, family and friends.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So I take it you don't like Michael Moore then?

Show me one situation where Michael Moore edited footage to turn something into an outright lie and caused someone to lose their funding and/or job over it.

Michael Moore plays with the truth with deceptive editing. I wouldn't say he doesn't. Brietbart takes it one step further and creates his own truth. Or, more appropriately, gives a soapbox to those who create their own truth.

The best thing that could possibly happen to his children was to have this horrible human being removed from their life.

...and this is regardless of his politics. He was absolutely detestable.

Ok that's probably going too far. You know nothing about his relationship with his kids. No matter how awful a person's public persona is you shouldnt say his family is better off without them

benjipwns

Banned
WTF how could you NOT like Chris Matthews. I lean conservative and love him. He just as such an overflowing passion and love for politics and political history in general that it's contagious.
Do even progressives like Chris Matthews?

I thought he was the guy EVERYONE could agree to dislike.

I've just assumed Hardball is still on the air because someone at MSNBC hates us. Hates all of us. In the world. Forever.

Wrong. As someone who had to deal with Briebart's lies personally, I can say with certainty that he is a "scummy character".
I hate to pry, but could you go more into depth? I'm honestly curious about the situation. I also really detested Breitbart.

The best thing that could possibly happen to his children was to have this horrible human being removed from their life.

...and this is regardless of his politics. He was absolutely detestable.
You are sailing into dangerous territories, my friend. And by dangerous I mean potentially ban worthy.

frynotsureifserious.jpg

I don't regularly watch him, but occasionally he kicks ass. The man is one of the shittiest interviewers on cable news though.

Show me one situation where Michael Moore edited footage to turn something into an outright lie and caused someone to lose their funding and/or job over it.

Michael Moore plays with the truth with deceptive editing. I wouldn't say he doesn't.
Brietbart takes it one step further and creates his own truth. Or, more appropriately, gives a soapbox to those who create their own truth.

Is there really a difference in that both edit their footage and lie about it, because one person lost a job over one and the other didn't? His little register Congressman kids stunt is an example his implying Trey Parker and Matt Stone did his shitty cartoon was another.

I hate Moore also.

That's fair at least.

ezrarh

You have people here who're like "He's an awful human being because he's a conservative and advocates for conservative causes and exposes liberals, so I don't give a crap that he died" and then try to cover it up by saying they care about his family. I just think its offensive. These threads about the deaths of conservatives always gets down in the gutter really fast.

People have already responded to this so I'm not going to add anything new but people don't consider him scummy just because he's an "advocate" for conservative causes. He was making up lies presented as truths that caused financial and emotional damage to those affected. If a person like Olympia Snowe or Ron Paul died, I don't think you'd see the responses you see here.

Although, the longer this thread goes on, the nastier it will get.

I've just assumed Hardball is still on the air because someone at MSNBC hates us. Hates all of us. In the world. Forever.

I guess I can see how he would grate on people. I just think his passion for politics and political knowledge are really amazing and admirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom