• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

laoni

Just got to the credits at the end of ARR (holy shit this has to be LONGEST credits scene ever??? i should probably skip this) and holy fuck the last few hours have been amazing

You're right actually XD XIV holds the world record for the longest video game end credits at 1hr 38min.

Astral

Speaking of, I just tried to learn how to play WHM on a controller in the level 63 dungeon. As you might imagine, that was a really dumb idea. Miraculously, nobody died lol. Targeting party members just feels super clunky compared to just tapping the corresponding F key on a keyboard.

I don't even remember how to select people in your party on a controller. I think there's a button that automatically targets your tank or something? Idr.

Speaking of, I just tried to learn how to play WHM on a controller in the level 63 dungeon. As you might imagine, that was a really dumb idea. Miraculously, nobody died lol. Targeting party members just feels super clunky compared to just tapping the corresponding F key on a keyboard.

In dungeons you super rarely have to target anyone but the tank. Anywhere really. Dragoon jumped into an aoe? Medica II will fix it. Jumped into another? Assize will fix it. That's the same for everything. Some bosses have targetted high damage abilities(for example the temple 70 dungeon with the 99%health dmg touch of death) but these pretty much always have long cast time so you can figure it out in time easily.

You also have to target people to rez them, but overall, it isn't so bad at all, especially as WHM since you can just vomit more aoe healing all over the place until everyone's full.

The more annoying healer to play on a controller I think would be AST, cause at least in dungeons you'll often do single target cards and stuff like that. Also need to place Earth Star on the ground and don't have nearly as good snap healing imo especially for aoe(earth star can be detonated right away but people standing too far makes it not hit everyone versus indom/assize which basically always hit if you position yourself properly).

I don't even remember how to select people in your party on a controller. I think there's a button that automatically targets your tank or something? Idr.

D-Pad Up and Down scrolls down your party list, and then you need to hit the X button (DS4) to actually target them before hitting your triggers and healing them. Which is all sorts of awkward when you're coming from several hundred hours of muscle memory on a keyboard where that's all accomplished by a key tap.

I'm sure I'd get used to it if I bashed my head against it long enough, of course.

itschris

D-Pad Up and Down scrolls down your party list, and then you need to hit the X button (DS4) to actually target them before hitting your triggers and healing them. Which is all sorts of awkward when you're coming from several hundred hours of muscle memory on a keyboard where that's all accomplished by a key tap.

I'm sure I'd get used to it if I bashed my head against it long enough, of course.

I find it actually works very well. You don't need to press X to fully target them, that's only if you want to change your permanent target. I usually keep the tank as my target, and when I need to toss off a heal to another party member, I just press up/down on the d-pad, cast the spell, and then my target goes back to the tank automatically.

Sephend

You actually don't need to press x. Just highlighting them and using the ability will target them with it. Pressing x is a hard target, which means that you will stay targeting them until you cancel target with circle or target someone else.

I find it actually works very well. You don't need to press X to fully target them, that's only if you want to change your permanent target. I usually keep the tank as my target, and when I need to toss off a heal to another party member, I just press up/down on the d-pad, cast the spell, and then my target goes back to the tank automatically.

You actually don't need to press x. Just highlighting them and using the ability will target them with it. Pressing x is a hard target, which means that you will stay targeting them until you cancel target with circle or target someone else.

Oh cool, that makes a lot more sense. I was already on edge and couldn't really tell if it worked the time I tried it, so I switched to hard targeting.

SkyOdin

Noob question. How do I use Lucid Dreaming?
There are two ways to interpret your question, so I will answer both.

To equip a role action like Lucid Dreaming, first you need to check the box next to the skill in role action section of the actions menu to select it as one of your five role actions. That causes it to appear in the palette at the bottom of the menu. Then you just drag that into your action bar.

The best way to use Lucid Dreaming is to use it regularly. Don't wait until you are critically low on MP first, use it early when you start casting a lot of MP intensive spells. If your MP is dropping fast, if your aggro is high, or both, then just use it. Anytime you feel the need for either of its functions, just use it.

suzu

5TpOPQn.jpg
👀

Astral

There are two ways to interpret your question, so I will answer both.

To equip a role action like Lucid Dreaming, first you need to check the box next to the skill in role action section of the actions menu to select it as one of your five role actions. That causes it to appear in the palette at the bottom of the menu. Then you just drag that into your action bar.

The best way to use Lucid Dreaming is to use it regularly. Don't wait until you are critically low on MP first, use it early when you start casting a lot of MP intensive spells. If your MP is dropping fast, if your aggro is high, or both, then just use it. Anytime you feel the need for either of its functions, just use it.

Press the button it's assigned to.

I use it at about 80%. It regens MP and cuts your aggro in half.

The second one is what I meant thanks lol. So Refresh is the MP regen. WHM feels less special now that every mage shares a lot of these abilities. Wasn't Esuna WHM specific? I guess the higher level spells sound pretty cool. I'm still level 40 though.

Stuart444

The second one is what I meant thanks lol. So Refresh is the MP regen. WHM feels less special now that every mage shares a lot of these abilities. Wasn't Esuna WHM specific? I guess the higher level spells sound pretty cool. I'm still level 40 though.

Each healer had an Esuna like spell. So they did away with all of them and made it a cross role skill instead.

Kent

Oh cool, that makes a lot more sense. I was already on edge and couldn't really tell if it worked the time I tried it, so I switched to hard targeting.
That's actually a relic from how FFXI targeting worked (which is one of the few interface mechanics that carried over to FFXIV).

You have a target, and a sub-target. The sub-target selection goes away after using one action, so you can go into situations like healing the tank, but you need to patch up the DRG because they're a DRG, so you press down to sub-target them, Cure, and then because you no longer have a sub-target after using that action, you're back to targeting the tank.

It's also helpful in situations where you're DPSing enemies and need to toss a heal or Regen or something quickly on someone, without losing too much time - set the enemy as your target, sub-target whomever needs a heal, cast it, and continue with your DPS like a healer should.

Similarly, as you can probably guess, it's handy for tanks to cycle between secondary targets for different parts of an enmity combo, or for stunning/silencing/dotting a separate enemy from the one you're focusing down as a DPS.

This and properly setting up target filters and the Expanded and W Cross Hotbar are things that really, really should be in a tutorial in this game, but they aren't. They're imperative to playing well on a controller.

Jayhawk

Oh, that makes more sense. I heard people saying 7 was possible.

7 is possible now with IR not using up gauge, if you don't Upheaval, but 7 cleaves are not optimal. Upheaval, two Onslaughts, and a GCD is better than a seventh Fell Cleave in Berserk+IR.

Danj

Square Enix Support sent me an email yesterday afternoon saying they removed the Software Token from my account, so that's good I guess and I got back in the game yesterday and did most of the Patch 2.3 quests. Still think they should have 24hr support.

iammeiam

Life with (Ex)death

Oh so you figured out how to stagger cool downs to get all the way past Black Hole still functioning?

HAHAHA TIME TO DO IT ALL AGAIN

WHERE ARE YOUR PRECIOUS COOLDOWNS NOW

It's still ridiculously stupid.

Healer role actions are in a really bad spot right now; five slots for 'choice', maybe one or two actual choices to be made. Maybe. There's relatively little in the way of choice involved, and the biggest impact of the move from cross-class is that any fight with an esuna mechanic now requires you cross something in.

I also super resent Protect taking up an optional slot when they tune everything around it. boo.

Omni

Hit enrage in v3 at least 5 times tonight. Boss was at 2-3% each time

The new weakness is rough. I feel like without deaths we would have cleared but as soon as 2-3 people die to whatever, the chances of clearing drop off astronomically

Hopefully tomorrow we'll clear maybe D:

Squishy3

Hit enrage in v3 at least 5 times tonight. Boss was at 2-3% each time

The new weakness is rough. I feel like without deaths we would have cleared but as soon as 2-3 people die to whatever, the chances of clearing drop off astronomically

Hopefully tomorrow we'll clear maybe D:
I kind of appreciate it in that it typically lets you see more of the fight because it doesn't become inherently harder to heal the people more likely to die due to momentary lapses in judgement but it's obviously way more disastrous if a healer dies since they're suddenly operating at 70% or 50% of their capability.

the_id

Finally got my DRG rotation figured out! Managed to do dummy test for Susanoo and Lakshmi Ex with iLvl291. Can't do first Omega boss yet though.

Dying to get back in and continue leveling my Ninja through POTD -- really enjoying the job!

Bit surprised (but not disappointed, given the notice stating the time of maintenance) that maintenance hasn't ended early tonight, at least not so far.

What's state of Bard according to actual Bard players? They seem fine when I team up with them, but I have no idea how to play one and I know they underwent pretty big changes going into 4.0 from their 3.x style. I love the idea of Bard, but I haven't seen too many people complain or praise the job in discussion.

Dying to get back in and continue leveling my Ninja through POTD -- really enjoying the job!

Bit surprised (but not disappointed, given the notice stating the time of maintenance) that maintenance hasn't ended early tonight, at least not so far.

What's state of Bard according to actual Bard players? They seem fine when I team up with them, but I have no idea how to play one and I know they underwent pretty big changes going into 4.0 from their 3.x style. I love the idea of Bard, but I haven't seen too many people complain or praise the job in discussion.

Bard is a tonne of fun to play at the moment and I'm having more fun with it this expansion than I ever had during 2.x/3.x. Not only did they nail what the job should be by changing songs to make them the core of your rotation but the additional skills and utility they added means that the job is a lot more active than it's been in the past. If you're interested in giving Bard a shot then I can't recommend it enough.

Baleoce

Why on earth are these new areas still instanced when there's about 15 people in each version of the zone. It just means there's always less people doing FATE's and the maps seem more barren because I hardly run into people. And this is on Excalibur.

IvorB

Why on earth are these new areas still instanced when there's about 15 people in each version of the zone. It just means there's always less people doing FATE's and the maps seem more barren because I hardly run into people. And this is on Excalibur.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!! Honestly the re-instancing just killed my buzz for this game. I've barely logged in this week and when I did the zones were dead as expected. Seriously looking to unsub until they sort their sh*t out.

The big servers have a issue because with the Ixion FATE an huge amount of people gather trying to get it which stresses them and SE's solution to that is to force ALL servers to instance instead of simply the big servers because that would make too much sense.

Baleoce

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!! Honestly the re-instancing just killed my buzz for this game. I've barely logged in this week and when I did the zones were dead as expected. Seriously looking to unsub until they sort their sh*t out.

Such a pain in the butt to sync with friends in a zone as well. You want to teleport there? Good luck with your 1 in 3 chance, and that's just if there's two of you. Why is the only way to sync an instance by walking in on foot? It should at least try to group you and your party in the same zone.

IvorB

Such a pain in the butt to sync with friends in a zone as well. You want to teleport there? Good luck with your 1 in 3 chance, and that's just if there's two of you. Why is the only way to sync an instance by walking in on foot? It should at least try to group you and your party in the same zone.

Yeah you basically have to teleport to the neighbouring zone then travel to the actual destination you want. Such a mess.

Okay so I just got my miner to 70 last night, upgraded my gear and got ready to start grinding yellow scrips only to find out about folklore nodes (I just barely hit 60 mining right before SB ended so this is the first time I've been interested in doing turn ins for a gathering/crafting class). It was kind of deflating to find out that I need to farm 2500 red scrips just to get access to one set of folklore nodes. On the positive side, at least they are per region whereas in HW it looks like they were per zone.

Orb

I've just spent a month(just renewed the sub) marathoning through FFXIV and all I can say is, WOW.

The only experience I've had with MMOs is playing a weird zombie(?) in WoW back in 2010 for like a day, so this is pretty much my first real experience and I don't know how I haven't burnt myself out. I even burned out on P5 sooner than this.

I'm, I think, around the mid point of 2.4? Maybe further, and since the end of the base game its been way more fun. Maining RDM and SAM after getting mega bored with dragoon saved it tbh. Recently RDM taught me I really like healing and helping out but I could never play a dedicated healer. The downside to using the stormblood jobs is I can't use those fancy glowy weapons the MSQ gave me :(. Wish I stayed with MNK. Also the fucking queue times are unbearable. I sat in a queue for over an hour for Urth's Fount and Odin curbstomped us until a healer left. I wanna try the EXs but the queues don't want me to have fun.

also took me an embarrassingly long time to learn some terms, I went through several dungeons where ppl told me to LB over and over and I was like "???? left button ???" and only recently when i looked in my Actions that I found Limit Break lol welp

After lurking the board for years and this thread for the past month I'm glad my first post is for FF14 lol

Top Bottom