• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Comes the Next Xbox {Many Xbox 720 Details - Paul Thurrott article} [Updated]

ironcreed

Banned
More always online talk, coupled with a damage control statement that basically boils down to, "it's really not that bad... honest!" No thanks.

Acheteedo

So, they pushed it BACK to better position themselves against the PS4? That means they were ready, but then PS4 announced something or a feature that took them by surprise, so they had to push it back?

It can't be hardware, it's way too late to change hardware.

They may have had to reconfigure their message. What if their big messages were "developer friendly" or "streaming/sharing services" or "8GB of RAM", all of those suddenly had the wind taken out of their sails after the PS4 reveal.

Pillville

If retail disks require internet to play, I'm not buying the next Xbox (or any system with similar requirements).

I don't care if it's only a one time registration thing. I want to be able to play games on the system when my connection is down, or when their servers are down, or 10 years from now, etc.....

Dysun

Microsoft should drop the pretense and make online P2P gaming free as it should be, if not, well then pass.

I guess that makes the most sense... but contradicts the rumors about it.

Right. "Registering a game to be able to play it offline" makes NO sense when you consider how much Microsoft wants to fundamentally integrate cloud gaming and social-ness into every aspect of the Xbox's DNA.

For Microsoft's vision of Durango, you need an internet connection.

It's not about used games or piracy...it's about the future of consoles being a multimedia, social, cloud hub.

All the time.

I only plug my ethernet cable in when I want to play online multiplayer or download something off the store. Otherwise I'm offline.

You unplug the ethernet cable from your consoles when you're not online? Why would you do that?

Phones require phone service so the subsidized model makes sense. Video game consoles do not require any equivalent service to go along with it.

The fact is that the subsidized model ends with an expensive contract that is not adecuate for most users. Buying a phone and making a separate contract is way more cheaper than a subsided phone.

But anyway, that's not the point, the thing is there's already plenty of people paying for a service, Live Gold. Those people will buy the subsided version.

I think he means that buying the subsidy would cause Gold to effectively only cost $20 a year.

Oh I see.

WinFonda

I think the timer before the console blocks you out of your own game that you legally bought with your hard earned money maybe have been extended and it's not 3 minutes anymore.
The block it's still there but "Less Draconian" but still Draconian, just less...

Maybe you get like 2 hrs of uninterrupted gaming now. Or you get the first 2 hrs of your game for an unlimited amount of time, but you need a connection to unlock the rest! Progress!

jayu26

Here is a question:

Xbox subsidized version with xbox live versus PS4 subsidized version with plus and both at same price, which one would you choose?

Point is, this is not a case of hardware revision for Sony, they can very easily make this happen. Microsoft better blow us away with live...and I mean something we have not even thought of. I think they were hinting at some thing so this sort...

Could very well be. You're much less likely to subscribe to another gaming service (like PSN) and chances are your online purchases will on Live. Live is more of a mechanism to lock you into their ecosystem in this case.

Having to pay for Live also helps keep you away from buying into their competition(ps+ for example)

p3tran

Banned
If it really does use Windows 8, that explains why they'd go always online. Otherwise people can rip/copy and pirate them out the fucking ass.

Requiring online authentication constantly would make sure that doesn't happen.

I, on the other hand, believe that this sick idea of microsoft will definitely spark some interest on the serious hacker front, and their "draconian" machine will be ripped to shreds pretty soon.

Also, I think that greed for more money and greed for more control is the motivation behind this, and not the vulnerable windows 8 core etc

Lets see how it plays out for them.

farisr

How can you enforce a $299 sub model if you can freely use the system without verification through internet sign-in?

Pretty easy. Just like they do it now. Require a verified credit card for purchase of such a model. They don't let you buy a subsidized console for cash. At the point of purchase, the contract is activated, and you get charged for Xbox Live monthly for whatever period is stated in the contract, regardless of whether you ever go online with the console or not.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
PS4's really going to need a cheap subsidized model to compete effectively at the lower price point, too. They can't just let those customers go, because there are a LOT of them.

DaBuddaDa

Here is a question:

Xbox subsidized version with xbox live versus PS4 subsidized version with plus and both at same price, which one would you choose?

Point is, this is not a case of hardware revision for Sony, they can very easily make this happen. Microsoft better blow us away with live...and I mean something we have not even thought of. I think they were hinting at some thing so this sort...

This is a good thought. There are a lot of assumptions being made on how Sony is going to position the PS4, what it requires, how much it costs and what the SKUs are.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Damn it, can anybody in the industry just write something clear about this issue?

So it's always online but not as people think, but it has to be online to use, but not as expected from the rumors, but it's still always-on, but not in the 'always-on' kind of way, and it requires internet, but you don't need a lot of internet...

x-Lundz-x

They may have had to reconfigure their message. What if their big messages were "developer friendly" or "streaming/sharing services" or "8GB of RAM", all of those suddenly had the wind taken out of their sails after the PS4 reveal.

DAT 8GB GDDR5 effect.

Einbroch

Banned
Pretty easy. Just like they do it now. Require a verified credit card for purchase of such a model. They don't let you buy a subsidized console for cash. At the point of purchase, the contract is activated, and you get charged for Xbox Live monthly for whatever period is stated in the contract, regardless of whether you ever go online with the console or not.

Can they do that at smaller stores? It just seems complicated to enforce/enact a contract without access to an account or anything at the point of purchase.

The same way they do now. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/consoles/entertainment-for-all I.E. not at mom and pop shops.

Ah, gotcha. It still seems weird. Do you have to sign up for something when you purchase your console? I have a hard time believing it's just a pick-up-and-go kind of thing (if you don't order online).

lol51

That makes sense! Thanks.

Reiko

Banned
Damn it, can anybody in the industry just write something clear about this issue?

So it's always online but not as people think, but it has to be online to use, but not as expected from the rumors, but it's still always-on, but not in the 'always-on' kind of way, and it requires internet, but you don't need a lot of internet...

What Kotaku wrote was pretty clear.

This just seems like backpedaling the issue.

Pillville

You unplug the ethernet cable from your consoles when you're not online? Why would you do that?

I don't know his reason, but I can see someone that has only one Ethernet connection sharing the cable between their computer and consoles.
The cable is usually connected to the computer, but when they want to game online, they disconnect from computer and connect to console.

Were is the Bane gift? if the console its always online, even if its not draconian(now) and it becomes a success, then prepare for a draconian on next-next gen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Were is the Bane gift? if the console its always online, even if its not draconian(now) and it becomes a success, then prepare for a draconian on next-next gen.

Bane gives no presents.

Striek

The X360 had a $300 model and a premium model at $400. The next Xbox is rumoured to be significantly less cutting edge (ie. not cutting edge at all) now than that was then. I don't understand how a modest system even with a supposedly cheaper to produce Kinect could be $500 unless they are determined to have a nice profit on every unit.

Its obvious both MS and Sony have taken steps to control costs, deliver modest performance and I think thats to hit a price that provides a low barrier to entry. $500, or $300 with a sub, is not low barrier, and does not make sense.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Fuck this. 21st of May reveal better debunk this shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also I'd expect the cost of gold to go up quite a bit if they really do a big content push and try to replace the cable box. Dealing with content providers is never cheap.

Hell the ESPN deal was probably no small part of the last gold price increase (along with paying off Activision)

I honestly don't see the Always Connected uproar from the NeoGAF elite. I dont care about it as long as there's some allotment for the time im away from home and an internet connection.

I don't know his reason, but I can see someone that has only one Ethernet connection sharing the cable between their computer and consoles.
The cable is usually connected to the computer, but when they want to game online, they disconnect from computer and connect to console.

Why wouldn't it be wireless for either?

That seems crazy, why not just buy a cheap router?

Marleyman

Banned
I will wait for everything to be confirmed. I think the people acting as if they won't buy it because of these rumors weren't even interested in the first place.

Maybe you get like 2 hrs of uninterrupted gaming now. Or you get the first 2 hrs of your game for an unlimited amount of time, but you need a connection to unlock the rest! Progress!

Or you can get "play offline tickets" at the MS store or EB Games, each ticket lets you play your games off-line for 2 hours. Hire me MS!!!

ironcreed

Banned
PS4's really going to need a cheap subsidized model to compete effectively at the lower price point, too. They can't just let those customers go, because there are a LOT of them.

I wager that they already have plans for one that includes a commitment to PS+.

graboids

starting to wonder if the next Xbox and PS4 are going to have as much trouble selling as WiiU, I want new consoles but I don't NEED them, my 360/ps3 could keep me happy for a lot longer, so if the new ones are too expensive/too anti-consumer it will make it easier to just stick to my backlog for a while and see what happens...

I am surprised to see XBOX Live GOLD there. Hopefully it is like PS+..

Gold is super-successful. Why wouldn't it be there? As for being like PSN+, well, I guess that depends on what they can offer based on backward compatibility being there or not. If they can, then I expect something along those lines, but probably more about functionality and features (apps, social access, cloud, higher tier discounts/sales, etc.), as MS seems to prefer. Sony with PSN+ on PS4 can't offer PS3-based PSN games due to no local backward compatibility, so it could be PS1/PS2/PSP/Vita and media for the next-gen PSN+, unless cloud/streaming gaming is part of the deal.

Reiko

Banned

bane_let_the_games_behsj70.gif

Top Bottom