• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Comes the Next Xbox {Many Xbox 720 Details - Paul Thurrott article} [Updated]

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console, offering a standalone version for $499 and then a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

$500?? Hahahahaha

Mr.Green

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? It doesn't implode if you lose your internet connection?

McHuj

That subsidy plan isn't very appealing, imo. I don't think $299 is low enough. I'm surprised that they're not keeping the $15/month with the current plan and going with a $199 box.

I think Sony will match them with a subscription plan console.

And with regards to the stingray, I wonder if we'll see a price cut for the 360 as well on the 21st. I don't think they can announce a $99-$149 dollar current gen xbox and say it's not shipping till the fall. They'll either have to cut the price immediately, or the cheap version will ship almost immediately like the Slim did.

I feel that saying nothing changed on their end because of the PS4 reveal is unreasonable. Of course their strategy changed, however minor these changes were.

Of course. There just seems to be some gaffers that insist these companies either don't care what the others are doing or the classic ''X is not competing with Y''. Of course they keep a close eye on each other and plan accordingly. Even if the focus of Xbox was TV entertainment ect they will have to respond to whatever the other 2 are doing.

when is the last time you guys used a console that had no ethernet cable plugged into it ?

Every day with my PS3 and 360. Only time an ethernet cable is plugged in is if I am doing system link with my boys. Maybe I'm the only one on the entire planet though?

KingJ2002

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe

wat.

look... if my internet goes out... i should still be able to play the games i purchase. new or used.

oVerde

Banned
Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Sounds pretty much as 360 is, without internet it has 10% of the capacity, just offline campaign and multiplayer.

Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

THIS actually bugs me out D:
Better be god damn good, be the Netflix of gaming or GTFO.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's pretty obvious that the next Xbox is more of a service, and you can't get that while being connected. You can have BASIC services without it (ie playing games offline) but a lot of the push they're making is online and with more than just achievements and friend lists, and is simply something you can't get offline due to its nature.

Majanew

Banned
So it has a Blu-ray drive. But has MS paid the license fees for movie playback, or is it similar to Wii U's approach?

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? It doesn't implode if you lose your internet connection?

1. There is not going to be a system where your game IMMEDIATELY stops working if you lose your connection.

2. However, there MAY be a system where your game stops working if you lose your connection for a significant amount of time.

3. You will need an always online connection to be able to use the Xbox (boot games, services, XBL, etc.)

i-Lo

Could it be that you need to log into your account at the start up and this will require internet connection given MS rep stated that it wasn't a necessity for playing actual games?

Meier

If it's only $40 extra over the course of 2 years then I'd be all for the subsidized version.. now that I see it, obviously there would have to be some sort of catch. Maybe the $499 one would include a 2 year sub to Live in the box?

Ensoul

Interesting thanks. Not understanding what Draconian means anyway. Price is exactly what I expected: Between 500-600 bucks.

1. There is not going to be a system where your game IMMEDIATELY stops working if you lose your connection.

2. However, there MAY be a system where your game stops working if you lose your connection for a significant amount of time.

3. You will need an always online connection to be able to use the Xbox (boot games, services, XBL, etc.)

Yeah...no thanks. What was the simcity timer....3 minutes? Lol.

Soriku

"Not as Draconian" is probably his opinion and he doesn't care if a console is always online so it's not Draconian to him. But everyone else does care.

Also the max for the PS4 and Nextbox really should be $450.

If $499 and always-online are true I think I'm gonna have to pass. Which is a shame because the 360 was my console of choice the gen.

No entertainment box is good news if true.

Gaming should always come first.

How would a separate entertainment box that you buy separately take away from gaming?

So they DID change plans because of Sony ;)

I find it difficult to understand how an extra 30 days of preparation could enable them to do anything of significance.

They certainly won't have been able to change the main CPU/GPU & RAM specs in that time...unless they've thrown their budget costs out of the window, if so, doesn't say much for what we were going to get prior to the PS4 reveal.

I'd like to think the 8GB reveal threw them into utter panic....

Ridley327

Isn't the current Xbox 360 subsidized offer at a 2-year commitment at $15/month for XBL Gold? I don't know why they would charge less for their next system.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People aren't going to think about $499 - they're going to say $299 and people will spring for that. Hell, I will.

farisr

So, they pushed it BACK to better position themselves against the PS4? That means they were ready, but then PS4 announced something or a feature that took them by surprise, so they had to push it back?

It can't be hardware, it's way too late to change hardware.

This is all speculation of course, but perhaps they expected Sony to also implement an "internet-required/always-online" console and Sony didn't go through with it. Learning they'll look like jackasses if they were the only ones to implement such a thing, they needed time to regroup and figure out a decent strategy/maybe change some plans in regards to that feature.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I say amendment to number 3... Boot games for the first time

Kame

Sounds pretty much as 360 is, without internet it has 10% of the capacity, just offline campaign and multiplayer.

THIS actually bugs me out D:
Better be god damn good, be the Netflix of gaming or GTFO.

Uh this can be implied to all devices that can access the Internet?

Top Bottom