• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Comes the Next Xbox {Many Xbox 720 Details - Paul Thurrott article} [Updated]

p3tran

Banned
Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

so, if this is true microsoft, consider your self a "winner" if I get your shitty system at some point in time for forza only.

Interesting details, we're approaching the hype zone.

Not sure why an insider with no much information didn't go out of his way to explain why it's not draconian if he knows the plan. Would be more effective to explain exactly what that entails and it's easy to see why you can read into that as a negative.

keit4

Banned
Well, Steam must have an internet connection to work, but it also has an offline mode (and nobody in GAF complains about it). I think that the nextbox will work the same way.

Guevara

Something about the prebaked financing plan just makes the Durango seem low end to me. I can't really explain it. (Will probably be a huge success though).

I think it's pretty obvious that the next Xbox is more of a service, and you can't get that while being connected. You can have BASIC services without it (ie playing games offline) but a lot of the push they're making is online and with more than just achievements and friend lists, and is simply something you can't get offline due to its nature.

100%. Ballmer has made it clear several times that multimedia and service is the #1 focus for the Xbox brand now:

"Xbox isn't a gaming console. Xbox is a family entertainment center. It's a place to socialize. It's a place to watch TV. We have Hulu coming. It's the only system where you are the controller. Your voice, your gestures, your body."

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/10515/xbox-is-family-entertainment-center

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting details, we're approaching the hype zone.

Not sure why an insider with no much information didn't go out of his way to explain why it's not draconian if he knows the plan. Would be more effective to explain exactly what that entails and it's easy to see why you can read into that as a negative.
Well, it could be subjective perspectives on the same feature set.

What stands out for me are the prices.

Particularly that the subs model ain't even very cheap. I was thinking the new Xbox could sell a lot more than PS4 in the US if the subs model price was $199 or even $99 but with a pricey two-year contract.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
right.. these companies don't offer subsidy to help the customer. if you want to pay less up front, you'll pay more at the end.

Except the $299 version is -more- consumer friendly. You're paying $40 more for the device at the end but getting 2 years of XBL in the process while you get 0 paid XBL on the $499 version.

That was my point. The $299 version is going to be more expensive than $299 + 2 years of XBL at $10 a month. That price point honestly doesn't make a ton of sense, its actually a better deal than just buying the $499 version. The monthly XBL cost is going to be more than $10 or its going to be a 3 year contract at $10 month or something.

I was assuming "Not As Draconian" probably translated to it being notably more fault tolerant than 3 minutes.

They'll be generous and give us like 10. Please sir, can I have some more? I'm but a poor peasant who scrapes a living at the will of his superior masters!

Casanova

Count me out.
Internet connection always required? Peace.
The fact that they were even considering an entertainment-only xbox. See ya!

jumping-out-of-window.gif

1. There is not going to be a system where your game IMMEDIATELY stops working if you lose your connection.

2. However, there MAY be a system where your game stops working if you lose your connection for a significant amount of time.

3. You will need an always online connection to be able to use the Xbox (boot games, services, XBL, etc.)

I was assuming "Not As Draconian" probably translated to it being notably more fault tolerant than 3 minutes.

Indeed. Three minutes is way too little. It will be designed in a way that you can go and reset your router and whatnot before the game outright quits.

Microsoft doesn't want to kick you out of your game....they just want to fundamentally integrate the cloud.

farisr

$10/month for XBL? Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

Hopefully that ridiculous pricing is only for the subsidized version.

$10 a month is pretty much close the regular price you have to pay if you buy single month subscriptions to XBL right now. It's when you buy 3 month subscriptions or full year subscriptions that the price goes down to around $5/month.

And yeah, these types of prices typically only apply to the subsidized/contract based xbox models.

Einbroch

Banned
Maybe you can elaborate on the fact that the always connected thing is not that draconian...

To him. Or maybe instead of that rumored three minute rule it's a fifteen minute rule. Or maybe you need a connection to boot it and play, but once in, you don't need a connection.

It's all speculation.

If it really does use Windows 8, that explains why they'd go always online. Otherwise people can rip/copy and pirate them out the fucking ass.

Requiring online authentication constantly would make sure that doesn't happen.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

How is always online requiring to use the Xbox not Draconian?

$10 a month is pretty much close the regular price you have to pay if you buy single month subscriptions to XBL right now. It's when you buy 3 month subscriptions or full year subscriptions that the price goes down to around $5/month.

And yeah, these types of prices typically only apply to the subsidized/contract based xbox models.

I've been paying $30-40 a year for 5 years straight. $120/year is bullshit.

Ensoul

499 wont end well for MS.

What if the ps4 sells for 599 though? People may go with the cheaper version. Not a huge fan of buying a reduced price system and paying a monthly fee. Somehow this always ends up costing the consumer an extra 400 bucks.

jschreier

Maybe you can elaborate on the fact that the always connected thing is not that draconian...

I honestly don't know. Maybe he's referring to the timer we reported (that will give you a few minutes of slack if you lose your Internet connection), or maybe he just doesn't think always-online is all that bad?

Does "Yuma" = the rumored Xbox-mini?

Cause this brings the question of BC back into play?
(Yes, there is that 360 SoC rumor...)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
What's not draconian about that?? No internet = no Xbox Infinity or are my reading skills broken?

It'll probably be a once off activation that ties the game to your XBL account. Count me out if that's the case.

If there's a time limit involved... well, the megaton that goes down in the forums will be entertaining at least.

Edit: I buy games new and never sell or trade them in, so this wouldn't affect me in a negative way. I just refuse to accept such a draconian anti-consumer stance. If MS do this, I'll feel very guilty for strongly supporting them through their first two generations of hardware.

Nibiru

Banned
"Not as Draconian" is probably his opinion and he doesn't care if a console is always online so it's not Draconian to him. But everyone else does care.

Thurrott is a Microsoft salesman so his opinion on the matter is predictable.

jett

D-Member
499 is what I expect for both the PS4 and Durango.

The subsidized price makes no sense as it would be cheaper in the long run.

Kame

If it really does use Windows 8, that explains why they'd go always online. Otherwise people can rip/copy and pirate them out the fucking ass.

Requiring online authentication constantly would make sure that doesn't happen.

Yes and no. Sure it's convenient to have some sort of DRM security in place for the developers, you as the consumer falls short as if a network goes batshit crazy, you'll be affected from even accessing single-player mode.

Ergo; Diablo 3?

Second, piracy is always going to happen. Hell I wouldn't be surprised with this type of network reliant console, LV2 can be accessed more easily as that's a gateway for it's system local network OS and authentication.

farisr

But yeah, whether it's 10 minutes or an hour that you can play without being connected. Won't make a difference if you can't connect to the server in the first place to start up the game due to server maintenance/your internet messing up/your router messing up/servers being overloaded near the launch of a game.

I hope "Not Draconian" is on the box as spec.

80GB Internal Storage!
Always Online!
Not Draconian!

Lol at this nonsense. I still cannot fathom how they could think they can make a box that forces you to have an internet connection to work. Amazing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Subsidized model would still be cheaper, heck cut off a lil more with the tax you'd save too. Seems a bit off.

Keep in mind the more gold subs they have, the more they can get from advertisers. So while it's a better deal for the consumer that route, it is made up on advertisers' backs and such. I'm alright with that to help.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
This is false. $499+2 years of live @ $60/yr is $620
@ $299 plus 2 years @ $9.99 month is $540

noway is the $299 version cheaper in the long run.
Yeah you beat me to it. If anything monthly live price will be $14.99-$19.99 a month for two years (a "subsidized" $660-$780 Xbox IMHO)

Reiko

Banned
I honestly don't know. Maybe he's referring to the timer we reported (that will give you a few minutes of slack if you lose your Internet connection), or maybe he just doesn't think always-online is all that bad?

If that is to be believed, either Paul has gotten wind of some new info on this policy, or he's delusional.

If so, then "the next Xbox must be internet-connected to use" is a false statement.
I'm guessing an initial sign in to register the game and then you can play offline. And you'll need a unlock key to play used games.

Basically something in the middle of all of the worst case scenario rumors

Top Bottom