• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

So I was having an issue with running my PS4 through a receiver and to a projector.

I would start the system, and hear sound blipping in and out but no picture. Eventually, the picture would show, but it was taking longer than an Xbone cold boot to come up, which is unacceptable.

I suspect that the sound was the issue, because LDCP ( or something like that; has to do with audio) would blink in and out on the receiver's lcd screen and the picture would not some up until LDCP was not blinking anymore.

So I ended up running the HDMI straight to the PS4 and an optical audio cable to the receiver. That has sorted my problem out completely. Video and audio come up right away now.

I know others have been having problems with receivers, so I thought this would help.

there is seriously no usb playback like on ps3 is it coming ?

how will I watch my tv shows & movies now ?

looks like ill be keeping my ps3 forever

delta25

Banned
Does Sony send you a new console first with a "coffin" for the old one to be sent back. Or do you have to send them the old one first in order to receive a new console?

Deadstar

So last night, I'm playing through a couple levels of Killzone SP, and I noticed that the fan in my PS4 is getting pretty loud. It didn't cut off or anything but it was at least as loud as my phat PS3 used to be before it YLOD on me (Maybe PC under load loud?).

Is this normal with that game or should I be worried?

Some people are saying their ps4 is super quiet even when playing killzone. I find it hard to believe but mine gets super loud too. Even in the xmb after playing. I will probably end up returning mine for a replacement but I will wait a few months for better batches to come in. We have 1 year to get a replacement from Sony right?

Marven

Does Sony send you a new console first with a "coffin" for the old one to be sent back. Or do you have to send them the old one first in order to receive a new console?

They send you an empty coffin and will ship you back a new one once they receive it. Note: Receive means received in their system and not when it physically gets there. Someone earlier posted that a support person said it takes them a day or two to receive it.

So my console was DOA, I spent 5 hours on the phone lats Friday with Sony, got the coffin on Tuesday, sent it back first thing Wednesday and they received it first thing Thursday.

Since Thursday evening, chat could see that it was received and my replacement was in shipping. Each day they told me to check back the next day to receive my tracking info and I was told that I would get it Saturday at the latest.

Now I get in the chat today and they've backtracked and said that the console was now magically received only yesterday (when it was received on the 20th and Sony acknowledged it). Now the agent said it would be Tuesday, probably Wednesday before shipment so I'm looking at freaking DECEMBER before I can get a replacement.

delta25

Banned
So my console was DOA, I spent 5 hours on the phone lats Friday with Sony, got the coffin on Tuesday, sent it back first thing Wednesday and they received it first thing Thursday.

Since Thursday evening, chat could see that it was received and my replacement was in shipping. Each day they told me to check back the next day to receive my tracking info and I was told that I would get it Saturday at the latest.

Now I get in the chat today and they've backtracked and said that the console was now magically received only yesterday (when it was received on the 20th and Sony acknowledged it). Now the agent said it would be Tuesday, probably Wednesday before shipment so I'm looking at freaking DECEMBER before I can get a replacement.

:(

I don't like the sounds of this. Dammit!!!!

Hilti92

Went to start my console earlier, both controllers were flashing blue lights on the color bar and the console was on, as far as I know but there was no picture.. I had to pull out the power cord from the back of the console, regretfully. Anyways, console booted up afterwards and did the whole safemode thing and then went back to normal. What happened? Any ideas? Also how bad is it that I pulled out the power cord?

atomsk

Party Pooper
Welp, everything was going fine for a week, system was just in standby and ejected the disc and turned itself on for no reason.

Time to call Sony

edit: whole calling process was quick and smooth

Ran rp

Patiently waiting for this to be fixed.
1453328_1390272634550489_983797017_n.jpg

what firmware? Firmware: 1.51
purchased from where? Amazon
what is your A/V set up like? HDMI-DVI into 16:10 1050p Monitor
what resolution do you want to output in? 720p? 1050? I dunno just not 480p or 1080i. My 360 handles all of these resolutions just fine.
were you able to get any video signal or none at all? Only at 480p through the safe menu. Not even the automatic setting works.
can you hear audio? No audio out on my monitor, so only through my controller.

Libram

Neo Member
got a seagate st1000lm024 1tb hdd, installed it, booted into safe mode and reinitialized to install system software. It formats and says getting ready to install then restarts itself. Instead of going to the install screen it just glows blue and the screen is blank.

firmware 1.51

also popped this hdd into my ps3 and had no problems installing new software, so I don't think the drive is faulty.

Marven

According to Sony's website, they shipped my replacement today. FedEx doesn't have anything on it yet, and I'm assuming since it's Saturday they won't until Monday. I hope it'll arrive before Thanksgiving.

Timeline so far, for the curious:

Called in last Saturday
Received and shipped back the coffin on Tuesday
Coffin arrived at Sony on Wednesday, though Sony's site says it was "received" on Friday
Shipped out the replacement today Monday

Edit: My tracking number from FedEx is now active. It's shipping today and arriving tomorrow.

Calibus

According to Sony's website, they shipped my replacement today. FedEx doesn't have anything on it yet, and I'm assuming since it's Saturday they won't until Monday. I hope it'll arrive before Thanksgiving.

Timeline so far, for the curious:

Called in last Saturday
Received and shipped back the coffin on Tuesday
Coffin arrived at Sony on Wednesday, though Sony's site says it was "received" on Friday
Shipped out the replacement today

That's a bit concerning. Mine won't hit Sony's dock until Monday. I really hope it doesn't take 2 further days to "receive" it.

smr00

Banned
This might actually be a problem with the game and not the PS4 but i figured i would check here anyways since i have no where else to ask.

I have been playing AC4 for a couple of days now with no problems but i noticed today i was getting some like black screen flickering. It was like my tv went black and popped back in and did it about 5 times. I checked to make sure the HDMI cable was firmly in. I read somewhere that edge enhancement can cause this problem? I don't think my TV has that option.

Darknight

Posted this on wrong thread so ill post it here.

Anyone get a bad DS4??

Like my left stick makes a squicky noise when I move it slowly. Say im in BF4 I crouch and then press lightly on the left stick to move slowly. Then the stick makes a squicky noise which is gonna piss the hell out of me because its the one stick that gets used the most. No way Im gonna deal with that for the next few years.

So you think I can send it back to Sony to get a replacement? It doesnt affect the games but it annoys me thats a brand new control, barely ~20 hours used and it sounds like its been used for a few years already. WTF mayne.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Ouch glad I got my replacement through amazon

Owzers

bit the bullet and called Sony for a new console.

Whats the verdict on replacements coming from Sony?

report back with your fan noise findings if you can. My ps4 didn't seem as loud when i was playing yesterday, but the room was cooler than usual. Still, i might send mine back through amazon after the holidays to try to get a quieter ps4.

I sent mine in Wednesday meaning they would have got it Thursday, meaning I am probably in the same boat as you even though they said I would get it Monday or Tuesday. When I sent it in Sony said they would ship out the replacement same day it is received, this is getting ridiculous. They wont even offer any compensation.

Tapejara

I asked this in the PS4 Launch OT, but I guess here would be a better place to find an answer:

Is anyone else having trouble getting 5.1 audio through HDMI? My PS4 will only output 5.1 through optical; HDMI just gives me 2 Channel audio.

My set up is:

PS4 connected to TV through HDMI. A/V receiver is connected to my TV through HDMI and Optical. On PS3 I have no issues, and I'm able to get DTS and Dolby and all of that fun stuff. On PS4, I'm only able to get Linear PCM and doesn't output in 5.1. Bitstream Dolby and DTS are also available, but once again they don't output in 5.1.

If I unplug the optical cable from my TV and plug it into my PS4 (so that the PS4 is connected directly to the A/V receiver) I'm able to get DTS/Dolby. Adding to the problem is that my receiver only has one optical port, so if I ever want to use my TV for anything besides PS4 gaming, I need to unplug the optical cable from my PS4 and plug it back into my TV.

So, in summary:

No 5.1 through HDMI, only way to get 5.1 is through optical. Is there a way to have my PS4 output 5.1 through HDMI?

samwizered

I am back with odd developments. Normal day of gaming, disc drive still sounds like a demon holwer monkey when inserting/ejecting. I get the weird thought to cycle a disc while the console is vertical not horizontal. The horrible sound goes away and it sounds like a completely normal drive! I put it back in the entertainment center, and it seems fixed, but with each insert/eject it becomes worse and worse until it comes back. Fun fact: while oriented upside down horizontally the sound is also gone. WTF

I've got this EXACT problem. Scratchy, screetchy, grinding noise when inserting/removing a disc. It sounds like maybe there might be a loose component that wasn't secured in place properly on the assembly line. The console works great besides this, but the sound the drive makes is troubling. Place the console vertically, insert/remove a disc a few times, and it sounds great! Place it back horizontally, the problem returns.

Another guy in this thread fixed it miraculously after using the disc drive with the console placed vertically, but that has failed to fix it for me so far. It really bugs the hell out of me. There's no way the disc feeder is supposed to sound like this - but on the other hand, the system is perfectly functional otherwise.

I'm going to keep using it for a while and hope it fixes itself like it did for the other person, but if I end up having no such luck, then I'll have to call up Sony and send it away.

Irritating, to say the least.

Ok I've had this happen two times now. While Playing Killzone and now with Resogun. Both games black out for like a second. Its doesnt show a delay when it starts it just starts where it stopped. For exmaple: When Killzone blacked out I was jumping and when it came back I wasnt on the floor with enemies around me. It continued where it stopped. Same with Resogun. Killzone is physical disc.

Raistlin

PSY・S;91031237 said:

what resolution do you want to output in? 720p? 1050? I dunno just not 480p or 1080i. My 360 handles all of these resolutions just fine.
were you able to get any video signal or none at all? Only at 480p through the safe menu. Not even the automatic setting works.
Is it HDCP compliant?

Regardless, I suspect the EDID info being returned from the monitor is fubar and causing the issue.

Unless Sony allows an override in a future update, you may need a different monitor or some sort of video processor that allows EDID override (DVDO Edge for example).

Ran rp

Is it HDCP compliant?

Regardless, I suspect the EDID info being returned from the monitor is fubar and causing the issue.

Unless Sony allows an override in a future update, you may need a different monitor or some sort of video processor that allows EDID override (DVDO Edge for example).

A few websites say that it's HDCP compliant but I can't find any confirmation on that from Acer. It's the Acer V226WL bd.

zedge

Anyone else having issues with their R1 or L1 buttons sticking? On my second controller and the R1 is sticking on this one now too. Just exchanged on Friday.

Google brings back alot of results for this, seems fairly common. Can't say I'm too impressed, DS3 has been going for years and buttons still work great. Sigh.

Elchele

I'm getting my PS4 this friday, only because I paid it before this thread existed :p, and I wanted to know what kind of problems should I be looking for? Are consoles really DOA, or do it take a few hours, days, weeks to die?

There are some things I should try/do to check if everything is alright? Are consoles still getting bricked for downloading games/demos from the PS Store?

Thanks!

Hilti92

Started my Playstation 4 today to play some NBA 2k14. Game uninstalled on its own... Wtf? Atleast I think it did because when I load it, it wants to reinstall.. Gonna check other games now.. It uninstalled all of my games? WTF. Anyone have this happen?

sangreal

Is it HDCP compliant?

isn't the whole point of the manual settings already to account for monitors that improperly return edid info? that's what the tooltip or whatever you want to call it says

Iacobellis

I understand this is not necessarily hardware related, but I hope someone could shed light on this issue.

My downloads (AT&T U-verse) have been painfully slow since the 16th. I have the 18Mbps (2.25MB/sec) package, so it is definitely not isolated just to me. Other members on here that have AT&T for their ISP are reporting the same problem. Downloads sometimes reach "normal" speed, other times they slow to a crawl. I first noticed it when 1.51 dropped, it needed FIVE HOURS to transfer.

The problem does not lie only with my PS4. I tried to download 1.51 to my computer last week and I was getting similar speeds. I think there is something going on between the PSN servers and AT&T themselves. My friend from the same area that uses a different ISP was able to download the file at his normal download rate (~2MB/s).

Something broken like this has no excuse to go unnoticed. In a day and age where we rely on the Internet extensively for everyday use and game consoles are becoming more and more dependent on it, it should be fixed.

I understand this is not necessarily hardware related, but I hope someone could shed light on this issue.

My downloads (AT&T U-verse) have been painfully slow since the 16th. I have the 18Mbps (2.25MB/sec) package, so it is definitely not isolated just to me. Other members on here that have AT&T for their ISP are reporting the same problem. Downloads sometimes reach "normal" speed, other times they slow to a crawl. I first noticed it when 1.51 dropped, it needed FIVE HOURS to transfer.

The problem does not lie only with my PS4. I tried to download 1.51 to my computer last week and I was getting similar speeds. I think there is something going on between the PSN servers and AT&T themselves. My friend from the same area that uses a different ISP was able to download the file at his normal download rate (~2MB/s).

Something broken like this has no excuse to go unnoticed. In a day and age where we rely on the Internet extensively for everyday use and game consoles are becoming more and more dependent on it, it should be fixed.

Sounds like a ATT problem, call them ASAP.

In other new my PS4 reached Sony and should get back to me soon or a replacement by the end of the week. If not I'm calling them.

After having some issues importing a PS4 from the US i ended up receiving a faulty console. It has the endless blinking blue light. Already changed the hdd, used my ps3 cables, tried holding the power button to get to the troubleshoot menu, but it only turns the console off.

Amazon is now sending me a replacement console and gave me 30 days to return the broken one. Is it really necessary to do so? I'll end up paying a lot of money for this thing.

What a crappy way to end the day...

Darkener2

I asked this in the PS4 Launch OT, but I guess here would be a better place to find an answer:

Is anyone else having trouble getting 5.1 audio through HDMI? My PS4 will only output 5.1 through optical; HDMI just gives me 2 Channel audio.

I have the same problem too... I tried to reinitialize my ps4 to fix the problem but no go. I might have to just get a replacement from Amazon to fix it

samwizered

I have the same provider as you and I'm getting this too. Basically any PlayStation-related downloads are soooooooooooooooo SLOW. It took like 20-30 minutes just to download the Netflix app. Most other downloads move at the usual rate. Surely they'll fix this soon...?

So just recently, I've noticed that when a trophy pops up it doesn't make that trophy sound anymore. This has only happened recently and while its not a big issue, its gonna seriously fuck with my ocd. Has anyone heard of this before and if theres a way to fix it?

Eggbok

bit the bullet and called Sony for a new console.

Whats the verdict on replacements coming from Sony?

Getting mine today, I'll let you know. I put my request in the weekend of launch, got my box last Tuesday, sent it Wednesday morning, they got it Friday.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Recently, I have noticed that my PS4 UI seems to stutter a bit when navigation through various menus (messages, friends, etc.). This obviously happens more when a game is running in the background, I noticed it a tiny bit when first getting the console but have noticed it more recently.

I didn't notice this on my friends PS4 - his seemed to stutter less and generally be smoother overall. I think the only thing that's different is that he doesn't have very many online friends (like 2) and has no messages so maybe that's why his is faster?

Has anyone noticed this?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After having some issues importing a PS4 from the US i ended up receiving a faulty console. It has the endless blinking blue light. Already changed the hdd, used my ps3 cables, tried holding the power button to get to the troubleshoot menu, but it only turns the console off.

Amazon is now sending me a replacement console and gave me 30 days to return the broken one. Is it really necessary to do so? I'll end up paying a lot of money for this thing.

What a crappy way to end the day...
Man, this is my worst fear right now. I've had to jump through crazy hoops to get a PS4 into this country and I'm fearful that it will also be DOA.

You had Amazon ship it directly to you?

I suppose, if mine comes DOA, I'll just wait until I visit the US in a month for Christmas and exchange it there.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So did we hear of the same issues the US had from Euro consoles yet?

I <3 Amazon
My launch unit has cosmetic defects. The back right screw isn't in straight causing the plastic sticker that covers it to be askew. Plus, the front left corner had a weird white line around the plastic seem and the tip of it was dinged so I looked into getting a replacement.

TeJ8krwl.png

I expected like $20 max when they mentioned a partial refund.

Marven

I just got mine, works beautifully :') although I didnt have to sign for anything. The Fed Ex guy slipped into my screen door lol.

Mine just arrived and the FedEx guy did the same thing. Ha. And yes, mine works perfectly. Finally.

Timeline:

Fri, Nov 15: System arrives doa from Amazon
Sat, Nov 16: Talk with Sony about repairs / coffin
Tues, Nov 19: Coffin arrives and I bring my PS4-filled coffin to a FedEx store
Wed, Nov 20: System arrives at location
Fri, Nov 22: Receive email / repair update that they received my system today
Sat, Nov 23: Email with shipping info
Mon, Nov 25: System leaves repair center
Tues, Nov 26: System arrives in working condition

So it took 10 days to get a working system back. And yes, I regret not going through Amazon since I would've had a working system last week.

In case anyone was curious: the new system was manufactured at the same factory / month as my old one (hongfujin yantai china / September 2013).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Can someone please answer this. I did a first boot of my console on a Asus HD monitor. I normally play my PS3 games on there. When the ps4 booted it kept syncing in and out with a solid white light after the blue. No real screen. Then I took it over to my HDTV and used my ps3 hdmi cord and it booted right up. Does the ps4 not like PC monitors or is it the hdmi cord that came with the ps4? The cord that I'm using is the $60 hdmi cord for ps3. I am shocked the ps4 has no AV outlet.

With the HDTV and a ps3 hdmi cord it's running just fine. With the ps4 hdmi cable, the very short one it goes in and out with music and no real screen on the Asus hd monitor. At first I thought it was broke, then I kept reading online where white after blue is good. Yet on the monitor it kept making this turn over sound. Now it feels brand new.

Elchele

I'm getting my PS4 this friday, only because I paid it before this thread existed :p, and I wanted to know what kind of problems should I be looking for? Are consoles really DOA, or do it take a few hours, days, weeks to die?

There are some things I should try/do to check if everything is alright? Are consoles still getting bricked for downloading games/demos from the PS Store?

Thanks!

anyone, please? :(

PSY&#12539;S;91031237 said:

I had to buy a new tv.

Kvik

Thanks!

Another Gaffer wrote an excellent guide about the first few hours with your PS4 somewhere on this thread, but generally:

- Proper ventilation in your TV Stand is paramount, always make sure there's some room to breathe at the back, and no cables are blocking the vents on your PS4.
- When updating via USB, make sure your USB stick is properly formatted and do a checksum on the update file after copying it to USB.
- If you encounter flickering on your TV, make sure your HDMI cable is properly attached, make sure your TV's firmware is updated to its latest, and if you're using a 3rd party HDMI cable, make sure it's properly specced: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Other than that, don't do anything silly like putting your unit on a carpet, or putting your ADSL/Cable modem on top of your PS4.

Top Bottom