• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

image.php

I hope it doesn't mean the thread will be locked soon.
Lol clearly i need to do like my avatar and present gaf with a sundae we gotta chill out...
get it ice cream..chill.........I'll stop

Great cutscene, and amazing visuals. Really almost looks like live action, and the animation is incredible. It'd be really great if this woman was one of the main antagonists in the game. Although I have a feeling she'll end up joining Drake and his band of superfriends.

If you didnt know who the voice actress was, i think this whole white actress playing a black woman thing wouldn't be a problem.

And why does it matter? Black people don't always "sound different". Especially British where i live.

also these graphics look amazing and i can't wait for extended cut trailer tomorrow at PSX

I dislike the character for those same reasons. The flirty banter + "Oh wait, she can actually kick my ass" + 'Glad I can get out of these stupid high-heels and fight' thing is so done.

It's that typical, trope-ish way of showing her to be not your ordinary girl.

Maybe it'll make more sense in context, but I liked the character more as the military leader Nadine appeared to be in the concept art.

Well, strong girls like to dress up too. Just because someone in strong does not mean that they go about in fatigues, track pants or tank tops all day - and I mean that from a man's as well as woman's perspective.

Hey Daniel "James Bond" Craig wears dress pants and shirts while fighting. Do you want him in fatigues or track pants?

Kinyou

Given no-one seems to know what nationality the character is supposed to be it's becoming more apparent maybe they should have given the role to a black South African actress.
I'm not sure that would clear things more up. A south african actress can also play an australian

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, the beta has pretty noticeable transparency dithering on foliage too (just get the camera so that a big leaf is close to the camera, and you'll see what I mean. I chucked that to a 60FPS cutbacks though. The shadows there get the same kind of treatment which is bad, considering they didn't do that in any other SP UC4 footage that I can think of.

Veelk

Banned
I think the fact that people are debating whether it's fair that a black character is a good thing. In the practice of the industry, such things are pretty common across voice acting, since you really just need to find a VA that sounds appropriate to a person's character. And frankly, there's no inherent distinction between voices of black people and white people that I know of. It also bring to mind the question of whether a white person can be behind the creation process of black characters. Like, would a white writer be able to write a black character without being offensive?

The answer to all these seems to me to be obvious. There's nothing wrong going on here, especially given that ND has a history of being conscientious about depicting minorities. But the fact that people are having a debate about it is a good thing. It means they're conscientious about it as well. It makes for a little more turbulance on the forum and perhaps in this case it's a little misplaced, but I prefer that than people not questioning if the representation is appropriate in the first place.

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, the beta has pretty noticeable transparency dithering on foliage too (just get the camera so that a big leaf is close to the camera, and you'll see what I mean.

That's actually been visible in at least one of the single player demos they've done. I think the PSX footage from last year.

IvorB

To be fair they both tried pretty hard and you can kinda hear it working for certain words.

Having had conversations with Australians and South Africans at the same time it can get pretty confusing and there are certainly similarities in some pronunciations.

Honestly, trying hard doesn't cut it for me. It's either correct and consistent or it's not. There are few things more jarring than listening to an actor doing a bad accent. I don't really want to condemn her accent based on a few lines but it didn't sound too promising.

When it comes to accents from Africa people get away with really shocking stuff across all entertainment. But if people heard an actor butcher a French or US accent you'd see how quickly people would pile in. Well, I guess many people don't know the difference. I do think it's pretty funny everyone losing their sh*t over not having a black VA when the accent they are attempting isn't even spoken by, like, 99% of black South Africans.

I think the fact that people are debating whether it's fair that a black character. In the practice of the industry, such things are pretty common across voice acting, since you really just need to find a VA that sounds appropriate to a person's character. And frankly, there's no inherent distinction between voices of black people and white people that I know of. It also bring to mind the question of whether a white person can be behind the creation process of black characters. Like, would a white writer be able to write a black character without being offensive?

The answer to all these seems to me to be obvious. There's nothing wrong going on here, especially given that ND has a history of being conscientious about depicting minorities. But the fact that people are having a debate about it is a good thing. It means they're conscientious about it as well. It makes for a little more turbulance on the forum and perhaps in this case it's a little misplaced, but I prefer that than people not questioning if the representation is appropriate in the first place.
Holy hell veelk not only is this the first time I've seen you in gaming side but we also freaking agree on something. Maybe it's just a one piece thing lol

lol yeah I got it. It's a nice avatar ;)

Nice and chill...
yes pun intended :p
Lol we are terrible

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Given no-one seems to know what nationality the character is supposed to be it's becoming more apparent maybe they should have given the role to a black South African actress.
Something I just realized - Druckmann was born and grew up in South Africa. So I figure, he'd definitely have an ear to judge if Bailey is able to pull off the accent right or not.

Huh, this is strange. None of the trailers we saw prior to this had dithered shadows. I'm glad it's not too noticeable, though. On the plus side, the shadows do indeed look soft and I like them. Just wish ND will fix the dithering. Also, weird how motion blur isn't implemented. It was in the E3 demo.

Was it on in the cutscenes though? I know it was in gameplay

Alienous

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There was a statement not far above mine talking about how her being dismissed by Drake was a trope and her taking off heels was ridiculous and blah blah and I've read many statements in the same vein. The whole race thing isn't even worth mentioning it is so dumb

Man GAF is turning into a regular shit hole on the same level as Gamefaqs. What happened here?

Whose post are you talking about? I can't find it.

Oersted

If you didnt know who the voice actress was, i think this whole white actress playing a black woman thing wouldn't be a problem.

And why does it matter? Black people don't always "sound different". Especially British where i live.

also these graphics look amazing and i can't wait for extended cut trailer tomorrow at PSX

Because it is goddamn hard for black actors to land any roles at all and not being able to play black characters is even worse?

Curufinwe

To be fair they both tried pretty hard and you can kinda hear it working for certain words.

Having had conversations with Australians and South Africans at the same time it can get pretty confusing and there are certainly similarities in some pronunciations.

As a New Zealander, I can confirm that.

I just figured out something
image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-30358-2995_0015.jpg

7c3c8120ac52b9b87600283e396559444aa27a3a.jpg__846x0_q80.jpg

No wonder why I got some bad vibes after watching the trailer. But, I know ND will do much better. Please don't be another QTE boss battle like in The Order!

Ran rp

this has been a disappointingly dismissive thread

i shouldn't be surprised but it hurts more than usual here for some strange reason

oh well

-griffy-

Banned
Was it on in the cutscenes though? I know it was in gameplay

It wasn't in the first big PSX gameplay demo, but it was in the E3 demo including the cutscene at the end of the extended demo. EDIT: You know, I'm watching this E3 2015 video on Gamersyde again and looking closer at the cutscene at the end, it appears the dithered shadows on characters are present there as well. It's just a lot harder to spot because the source video is much more compressed than this new video.

Here you can see motion blur on Drake's hand and dithered shadows on the paper:

No wonder why I got some bad vibes after watching the trailer. But, I know ND will do much better. Please don't be another QTE boss battle like in The Order!

If they can make Indiana brawler in U3 then I have nothing to fear (pls use grab in other button, not in roll button)

Veelk

Banned
Holy hell veelk not only is this the first time I've seen you in gaming side but we also freaking agree on something. Maybe it's just a one piece thing lol

Do you mean you agree that it''s good that people are conscientious about it or that their conscientiousness happens to be misplaced in this particular instance?

Kinyou

I could imagine that in this specific scene your movement options are limited and that there will be some QTE, but I also imagine that ND will manage to pull it off a lot more fun and interactive than The order did.

Do you mean you agree that it''s good that people are conscientious about it or that their conscientiousness happens to be misplaced in this particular instance?
Both i mean you kno how much shit i give you for your sexism talk in the one piece threads but i never say your wrong. Its very good people are conscientious about this but you are right yet again tht this is indeed not the time to be and is misplaced.

This is nuts. They even have the tiny movements of the eye as it looks around a person's face.

This is why ND is so amazing at characters. From what I've seen, they are the only ones who actually successfully recreate what an eye does with all the tiny movements and actions.

Everyone else has great faces, but the eyes are always dead.

Wow, just wow at the graphics.

Wow at this thread too.

Funny how everyone are seeing a black woman, when I just see a woman.

In the little we see of her, we already know that she is confident, strong, and intent on hurting/teaching Drake a lesson. She also obviously sees herself as Drakes equal on a physical level. What I'm really curious to see is if Naughty Dog let us kick her butt. And if so, how vividly that plays out on screen.

Cos let's be honest, with this level of graphical fidelity, the results could be disturbing and would raise many questions about misogyny in the industry.

Ah, the ol "i'm color blind guys!" thing.

Word of advice, don't do that.

Sigh...in this thread, we showcase people's hidden ignorance and/or skewed social awareness. Nowhere am I safe.

In other news, that shit looks AMAZING.

My opinion is that asking ourselves if a young white female can voice a black character is the ground for discrimination. It shouldn't matter. EITHER WAY. The only question here is : "Is she good? Yes? Moving on."
I can't get behind the idea that because black people were/are discriminated we should discriminate white people to "even it out".

How about not fucking discriminating anyone?

Thank. You.

People are seriously complaining about graphics? The scene looks fantastically beautiful to me. The new character looks great as well.

Regarding voice actors I don't care much about their ethnicity. At least here in Brazil we are used to have black VAs dubbing white actors and vice-versa.

Gurish

I could imagine that in this specific scene your movement options are limited and that there will be some QTE, but I also imagine that ND will manage to pull it off a lot more fun and interactive than The order did.

It will probably be close to the U3 system, the game is not going to turn into SF5, melee will be there to spice things up, but shooting is what you'll do most of the time during combat.

It would be great if Drake won the fight the smart way by shooting her and leaving.
I prefer she loses pulls out a gun and says "what you thought this was a fist fight?" Bang. Lol

But, dude, you literally just said in the last post this is the first time you agreed with- You know what? Fuck it, I'll take the compliment. Glad we agree.
Goddamit veelk dont ruin the moment you over analyzing bastard take the damn compliment shake my cyber hand and lets do it!! Lol
Ps. You can agree with someone nd still think theu are wrong lol.

Top Bottom