• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Jacob4815

Because not all devs put the same amount of effort in their work. Hilarious how the small dev who made Little Nightmares can put out a fantastic Pro version, yet a AAA studio like Arkane can't be assed. Fuck 'em, I don't touch any game without a Pro version if it came out after the Pro.

Arkane doesn't give a shit about Pro. Dishonored 2 doesn't support supersampling for no reasons.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MLB: The Show 17's Pro support as seen in the Giantbomb quick look:

1aclhk.jpg

20mxs8.jpg

3plbw2.jpg

Gator86

Because not all devs put the same amount of effort in their work. Hilarious how the small dev who made Little Nightmares can put out a fantastic Pro version, yet a AAA studio like Arkane can't be assed. Fuck 'em, I don't touch any game without a Pro version if it came out after the Pro.

Takes some of the sting out of Akane's games bombing over and over.

Preach buddy. There is no reason for devs to skip pro support for their games. Devs that do, can expect an equal amount of apathy from me towards their games.

adamsapple

I don't know about that. They disabled downsampling for HDTVs. The list is getting longer...

At least there's an enhanced visuals and high frame rate mode, so it's not like 1080p TV owners get no advantages.

I see Let It Die listed as 1440p

Just booted it up. Does look sharper. But I can't find this confirmed anywhere else

Is it definitely 1440p?

Yooka-Layle should offer a 1080p60 mode at least, I'll give you that.
I never said that. I said that the mix of heavy-duty enhancements, mild enhancements, and no enhancements is the same now as it has always been. There has not been a tapering off of support.

Nice! That should definitely be a standard.
At least there's an enhanced visuals and high frame rate mode, so it's not like 1080p TV owners get no advantages.
It's not as nice as it sounds. The "Enhanced visuals" mode seemingly just raises the resolution to 1440p, it doesn't add other graphical effects. Since there's no downsampling, 1080p users are thus better served by the "High Frame Rate" mode.

I see Let It Die listed as 1440p

Just booted it up. Does look sharper. But I can't find this confirmed anywhere else

Is it definitely 1440p?
I pixel counted it at 1440p when it released, and Digital Foundry later confirmed this in one of their videocasts.

Hey 1080p owners, sorry we fucked you despite promising enhancements for you too at the reveal!
At no point did they ever promise enhancements for every game for every display. Quite the contrary, they've repeatedly said that those choices are up to developers. I empathize with your disappointment, but don't invent history to justify it. There's no need; you have every right to be let down regardless.

Wordstar

Neo Member
It realy is a shame to see Sony let Devs do whatever the F they want reagarding Pro Support. If my research is correct then the latest Tripple A Game to hit without Pro support is Prey and the weird thing about that one is that it states PS4 Pro enhanced on the Box of the game. I hope the situation will drasticly improve once scorpio hits the market. Theres just to many tittles that dont support Pro at all. Sony should have been more strict about the guidelines.

adamsapple

It's not as nice as it sounds. The "Enhanced visuals" mode seemingly just raises the resolution to 1440p, it doesn't add other graphical effects. Since there's no downsampling, 1080p users are thus better served by the "High Frame Rate" mode.

So high frame rate = 1080p, enhanced visuals = 1440 and 4K = native 2160p ?

The description sounds like it might be dynamic with the "highest possible resolution'. Same for the frame rate "highest possible frame rate" so .. unlocked and not solid 60 ?

So high frame rate = 1080p, enhanced visuals = 1440 and 4K = native 2160p ?

The description sounds like it might be dynamic with the "highest possible resolution'. Same for the frame rate "highest possible frame rate" so .. unlocked and not solid 60 ?
As far as I know res is not dynamic in any mode, though I haven't examined extensive material. As for framerate, it seems to be very solid (though not locked) at 1080p, more wavery at 1440p, and lower still at 4K. (I haven't seen any 4K60 footage, so I can only go on people's impressions of that mode. It's even possible it may be capped at 30fps, though I suspect unlocked but just above that mark is more likely.) All this is in the OP, by the way.

So bethesda lied about ps4 pro support?
It seems so, yes, or else they planned to do it and something stopped them.

I've been hoping hard for a few weeks now that Final Fantasy XII IZJ has PS4 Pro support.

I see nothing on search results, but it seems the recent Kingdom Hearts Collection did, so it seems like it would, and it should... day 1, on-disc would be nice too.

GHG

Have boxed up this POS and returned it to Amazon today.
Had it 4 weeks, 2 days left to return it, and barely noticed any difference the whole time. Played Horizon for nearly a month, in performance mode, just went back to my OG PS4 and can't notice any downgrade.
Don't have 4K, but threads like this convinced me to get one as upgrades look exciting ("BOOST mode"? I'm in!), but without a framecounter you barely notice a fucking thing.

I'm at a complete loss as to why this thing even exists. Its not 4K, the few games with support are upscaled, native games are very few and always will be. And without a 4K bluray drive, what the actual fuck.
I'm sure there will be more support in 6-12 months, but by then it'll have had £100 shaved off the price to compete with MS.
The OP of this thread, and DF, had me thinking it would be like a GFX card upgrade, worth it generally, but it really isn't.
This thing is meant to keep enthusiasts from going to PC? Its had the opposite effect on me.
If you have a 4K HDR TV already and no PS4 currently, maybe, but to be honest even then i'd wait another 6 months to see what the new MS box does for support.

If you played Horizon on performance mode on the pro then no, you would not notice much difference other than smoother frame rates here and there. Resolution mode is where the big differences are to be seen, especially in IQ.

If you're on a 1080p and you don't care for improved IQ then you really don't need one. But you knew everything you listed before you bought one... The information has been readily available for months.

Aside from that, Sony really needs to start doing something with regards to what "pro enhanced" should mean when it appears on boxes and product listings. Bethesda shouldn't have been allowed to get away with what they have recently and downsampling should be mandatory for all pro supported games.

bennibop

I'm at a complete loss as to why this thing even exists. Its not 4K, the few games with support are upscaled, native games are very few and always will be. And without a 4K bluray drive, what the actual fuck.
I'm sure there will be more support in 6-12 months, but by then it'll have had £100 shaved off the price to compete with MS.
The OP of this thread, and DF, had me thinking it would be like a GFX card upgrade, worth it generally, but it really isn't.
This thing is meant to keep enthusiasts from going to PC? Its had the opposite effect on me.
If you have a 4K HDR TV already and no PS4 currently, maybe, but to be honest even then i'd wait another 6 months to see what the new MS box does for support.

The thing is it is difficult to notice on a PC when you just up the resolution. Very few games have actually added any additional effects etc on the Pro and that would probably be preferable than pseudo 4k. Scorpio is going to have the same issue as the Pro as all its is doing is using muscle to show the same textures and effect that are present on Xbox one in 4k.

Have to wonder how Bethdesa has got away using enhanced on Pro when the game does not have any changes. I am sure they are patching it in but if it is not there at release they should not be allowed to advertise it on the box.

Loco roco looks great in 4k by the way!

Smo21

Have to wonder how Bethdesa has got away using enhanced on Pro when the game does not have any changes. I am sure they are patching it in but if it is not there at release they should not be allowed to advertise it on the box.

Loco roco looks great in 4k by the way!
XCOM 2 was on the pro launch list and I don't think that ever got updated

Tyaren

For now no good news regarding Injustice 2 on PS4 Pro. A fellow GAFer already owns the game and played it on Pro, but at this point (a couple of days before official release) the game does either not support the Pro at all or it continues the trend of just not supporting downsampling on HDTVs.

Here's a screen made by GAFer Hellshingu on an HDTV TV:

Yxq0C9m.jpg

Strong aliasing all over the image. The image quality actually looks worse than in the beta. Gafer Slaythe made an image comparison:

Beta:
e18110942a6df2015e4ec876e763a53e.png

Final:
44790e68dfb097cf69a9f504bc0e557e.png

Beta:
81a309128f2791f2b6e301110199395e.png

Final:
2828679869cc2e2c7ebadbe646903118.png

Beta:
9f5953fef3874129f5b36b47ca4535e6.png

Final:
df457624b88f145f79df05eca4cb3b99.png

There reportedly is a "Pro Enhanced" sign on the box though.

Its not 4K, the few games with support are upscaled, native games are very few and always will be.
There are 29 native 4K games on Pro so far (that does not include checkerboard, or games that drop dynamically). They may not improve much for you since you only have a 1080p display, but I wouldn't characterize that as "very few".

The OP of this thread...had me thinking it would be like a GFX card upgrade, worth it generally, but it really isn't.
I try to keep all the details in the OP as truthful as I can. What is listed there that you think was misleading?

XCOM 2 was on the pro launch list and I don't think that ever got updated
Not that we can tell, but I don't think the box actually lists support like Prey does. It just appeared on lists before Pro launched.

If you played Horizon on performance mode on the pro then no, you would not notice much difference other than smoother frame rates here and there. Resolution mode is where the big differences are to be seen, especially in IQ.

If you're on a 1080p and you don't care for improved IQ then you really don't need one. But you knew everything you listed before you bought one... The information has been readily available for months.

Aside from that, Sony really needs to start doing something with regards to what "pro enhanced" should mean when it appears on boxes and product listings. Bethesda shouldn't have been allowed to get away with what they have recently and downsampling should be mandatory for all pro supported games.

I agree with almost all of this post except I feel compelled to point out that on 1080p displays Horizon looks virtually identical on performance mode vs resolution mode. In fact, many 1080p gamers prefer performance mode in that game for the graphics as well as frame rate (it has a couple graphical advantages in performance mode unrelated to resolution)

paulogy

New sizzle reel featuring the 4K benefits of PS4 Pro, showcasing GT Sport, Horizon, MLB The Show, and GOW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N3DdmSWLhQ

Might this indicate all four of these games will release this year?

Seems like they've settled on the term "Dynamic 4K" with the disclaimer "Game resolution depends on software".

(Also, "PS4 Pro does not support 4K Blu-ray Discs." is about as clear as it gets on that front)

GHG

I agree with almost all of this post except I feel compelled to point out that on 1080p displays Horizon looks virtually identical on performance mode vs resolution mode. In fact, many 1080p gamers prefer performance mode in that game for the graphics as well as frame rate (it has a couple graphical advantages in performance mode unrelated to resolution)

I personally noticed a big difference but then I'm a huge IQ whore after downsampling pretty much I can on the PC over the last decade. Things like shimmering and AF are very noticeable but that's just because of what I've become accustomed to. It won't be so noticeable or as big a deal to most other people though and I understand that.

T-0800

New sizzle reel featuring the 4K benefits of PS4 Pro, showcasing GT Sport, Horizon, MLB The Show, and GOW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N3DdmSWLhQ

Might this indicate all four of these games will release this year?

Seems like they've settled on the term "Dynamic 4K" with the disclaimer "Game resolution depends on software".

(Also, "PS4 Pro does not support Blu-ray Discs." is about as clear as it gets on that front)

But it does support Bluray.

Jacob4815

For now no good news regarding Injustice 2 on PS4 Pro. A fellow GAFer already owns the game and played it on Pro, but at this point (a couple of days before official release) the game does either not support the Pro at all or it continues the trend of just not supporting downsampling on HDTVs.

Here's a screen made by GAFer Hellshingu on an HDTV TV:

There reportedly is a "Pro Enhanced" sign on the box though.

Probably PRO is supported, but there's no supersampling. Shame.

Tyaren

I got Injustice 2 myself now. So this is what the Pro version looks like attached to an HDTV:

33800271583_850b637c51_o.png

34568681146_ce48080ab4_o.png

33800267073_f0f7fa5fd2_o.png

33800274163_8f6e81f67c_o.png

34568709536_3776dca067_o.png

The IQ is pretty nice actually. Though there is aliasing in some backgrounds and some dithering on the hair of characters. The characters themselves look really clean during gameplay though. No jaggies to be found there.

adamsapple

I got Injustice 2 myself now. So this is what the Pro version looks like attached to an HDTV:

The IQ is pretty nice actually. though there is aliasing in some backgrounds and some dithering on the hair of characters.

Let's see what, if any, improvements the game has on a 4K display. At worst, the game has no Pro support, at best, no down sampling. Neither is a win win scenario.

Chairhome

The IQ is pretty nice actually. though there is aliasing in some backgrounds and some dithering on the hair of characters.
You mean UHD, right? Or are you saying 1080p?
My friends want me to get this on XBO, but I don't play online much and would rather get it on PS4 Pro. Looks like it's an upgrade.

Tyaren

You mean UHD, right? Or are you saying 1080p?
My friends want me to get this on XBO, but I don't play online much and would rather get it on PS4 Pro. Looks like it's an upgrade.

Nope, HDTV as in 1080pTV. To be honest, it is hard to tell what resolution the game has. Sometimes it appears really clean and free of any aliasing...at other times it's there quite noticably. But overall it actually looks nice IQ-wise. I wonder how the OG PS4 version looks like...

Let's see what, if any, improvements the game has on a 4K display. At worst, the game has no Pro support, at best, no down sampling. Neither is a win win scenario.

Digital Foundry's dark10x said in the Prey DF Thread:

"Keep an eye out next week for another amazing Pro implementation. ;)"

Some one asked if that was a joke comment but then he said

"Ha ha, no. I really mean it. The game in question is very well done."

So Injustice 2 should have decent Pro support from the sound of things.

Top Bottom