• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

People in the Prey topic are saying the box has "enhanced for Pro" on it, so if there's no Pro support yet, it may be in an incoming patch.
And as I stated earlier in the thread, there was a contest to win a Prey-branded Pro, which included language about seeing the game "in all its glory". It's strange that it doesn't seem to have support right now.

I've had the chance to try Risen 3 Titan Lords Enanched edition with and without boost mode.

The game runs with unlocked frame rate and vsync on.

On a regular PS4 it runs at 30 fps with frequent drops to 20 in some areas, and very rare 60 fps peaks when facing a wall or the sky.

With boost mode it runs just a little better, 30 fps with less frequent drops to 20. I've tried (with boost) the same areas where it drops to 20 (without boost), and in some cases there weren't drops at all, in other cases they were less severe.

That's it :)

joeblow

Here's some Tekken 7 action on the PS4 Pro. It looks really clean with no major issues with aliasing and shimmering.

The vanilla PS4 version is running 60fps at 900P, but the Pro version will be 1080P minimum (no word on down sampling). Loading times on the Pro in this video look pretty good as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yea the framepacing issue is pretty annoying on high mode. Bloodborne tier.

As someone whose spent 35+ hrs in FFXV over the last 2 weeks, the frame pacing issue has become near non-existent to me. I've tested all 3 modes and while the frame rate boost in Lite is very welcome, the shimmering and aliasing on objects not even that far away makes it un-appealing.

I understand some people are more prone to notice frame pacing just like how some people literally can get headaches from screen tearing (yes that's true). If the game was dropping performance along with bad frame pacing, the High mode would be an issue then IMO. As it is, I personally prefer the pretty noticeable boost in visual quality over anything else.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
From this point on I won't buy any game without some kind of rudimentary Pro support. It's just laziness.

Got my 4K tv and a PS4 Pro and I feel the same way. Not gonna buy a game without native or patched in Pro support. And I'll go a step farther and say it's gotta be more than a fps bump.

I'm really bummed that PREY seems at the moment(unconfirmed) that it's simply a rumored FPS bump under boost mode only. I want better visual quality and solid framerates, be it 30fps or 60fps.

Bulletstorm was such a fun, great game that I'll probably be picking that one up today.

So it must have been an urban legend that Sony mandated all future game releases to include decent Pro support?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All games support Pro, not all are enhanced, it's a pretty simple thing to understand. There was no mandate for games to be enhanced for the Pro.

To be fair, with the system wide boost mode, all games are 'enhanced' for Pro now :p

That whether they have native Pro hardware support or not is different.

Ravage

As someone whose spent 35+ hrs in FFXV over the last 2 weeks, the frame pacing issue has become near non-existent to me. I've tested all 3 modes and while the frame rate boost in Lite is very welcome, the shimmering and aliasing on objects not even that far away makes it un-appealing.

I understand some people are more prone to notice frame pacing just like how some people literally can get headaches from screen tearing (yes that's true). If the game was dropping performance along with bad frame pacing, the High mode would be an issue then IMO. As it is, I personally prefer the pretty noticeable boost in visual quality over anything else.

While i hope SE will fix the frame pacing someday, i suspect most gamers are not particularly sensitive to it. Like me, none of my friends can detect the frame difference when switching between the pre-patch Lite and High mode.

holygeesus

Banned
All games support Pro, not all are enhanced, it's a pretty simple thing to understand. There was no mandate for games to be enhanced for the Pro.

That maybe true, but it does seem more recently that things have become lax - when the Pro launched it was hard to find a new game released without proper Pro enhancements, whereas now it is becoming more the norm.

I played more than 60 hours of it in HQ mode and the frame pacing was only noticeable when you move camera quickly during exploration. It wasn't annoying or terrible as per the case is with gaf hyperbole.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Since a lot of new games don't have Pro features, can boost mode apply to them? Like they can passively benefit from using a Pro even if the devs don't make the effort?

King_Moc

Banned
Since a lot of new games don't have Pro features, can boost mode apply to them? Like they can passively benefit from using a Pro even if the devs don't make the effort?

Yes, but it will literally just be a slightly better frame rate if the fps was dipping. And only up to the cap set by the developers. For instance, apparently Assassin's Creed Unity now runs at 30fps.

Vashetti

Banned

Depends

Are the games Pro-enabled but have no resolution/graphics/fps improvements?

Or is there no Pro support whatsoever?

The latter means Boost Mode will work.

Games that are not pro enanched do not take full advantage of its power in boost mode anyway, since half of the gpu is still locked for compatibility reasons

Turkoop

Banned
It's a really good game though, it's silly to not buy something just because it doesn't support the Pro.

I expect from AAA-Publishers to support their games on Pro, especially when the console is 6 months out.

Cerny has often said that it requires just a little much more time to develop Pro Support. So no excuses IMO

El_Chino

I expect from AAA-Publishers to support their games on Pro, especially when the console is 6 months out.

Cerny has often said that it requires just a little much more time to develop Pro Support. So no excuses IMO
Arkane Austin isn't the biggest of AAA studios to be fair.

That maybe true, but it does seem more recently that things have become lax - when the Pro launched it was hard to find a new game released without proper Pro enhancements, whereas now it is becoming more the norm.
This is not true. This year, indies like Yooka-Laylee and Styx don't have support; last year it was The Dwarves and Stardew Valley. This year for retail games we have Prey and Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3. Last year we had XCOM 2, World of Final Fantasy, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There has always been a trickle of games without any obvious enhancements.

This is clearly not what Cerny explained, or at least implied, last September.

Hiding behind "Pro supported, not Pro enhanced" is just a damn shady sidestep.

Pro Enhanced was/is supposed to be the standard. Prey is a lazy/disappointing Pro game, period.

Yes, you're right on the money.

It appears MS has learned from Sony's mistake from this with how hey are handling the Scorpio, too

This is not true. This year, indies like Yooka-Laylee and Styx don't have support; last year it was The Dwarves and Stardew Valley. This year for retail games we have Prey and Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3. Last year we had XCOM 2, World of Final Fantasy, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There has always been a trickle of games without any obvious enhancements.
Stardew Valley looks like a SNES/Genesis game to me. What kind of Pro "enhancements" should it have?

Lemondish

It's a really good game though, it's silly to not buy something just because it doesn't support the Pro.

Don't be chastising someone for how they want to spend their money. It's an important factor for them, who are you to call it silly?

And for what it's worth, I agree. I don't want to support laziness. Turns me off the whole product.

I just simply won't support new games that don't have pro support. I may miss out on a few good games but fuck it...it's the only way to send a message.

El_Chino

Don't be chastising someone for how they want to spend their money. It's an important factor for them, who are you to call it silly?

And for what it's worth, I agree. I don't want to support laziness. Turns me off the whole product.
If what you're looking for is to play a good game then play it. Don't reject it because it doesn't support the Pro, it's still an excellent game with decent IQ and a locked frame rate as it is already on a standard PS4.

Also, they haven't been promoting Pro support so I'm not sure why someone would get their hopes up for it. They are also a small studio so maybe they couldn't focus on the Pro as well but that doesn't mean they won't in an update or something.

Dubz

I hate to be this guy, but this is exactly why I'm not too certain how well iterative console releases are a good thing. If not enough people buy them, then there's no incentive for 3rd parties to support them.

I have a 4K TV and a Pro btw.

Stardew Valley looks like a SNES/Genesis game to me. What kind of Pro "enhancements" should it have?
You can totally notice the difference at 4k lol
I used that name because people are familiar with it (and some folks can tell the difference between upscaled and native pixel art). If you find it impossible to look past the particulars to see the truth of my statement, feel free to replace that game with another where the benefit would be more obvious (e.g. Silence, Aqua Moto Racing Utopia, Yesterday Origins, etc.). There are many such examples, which is my whole point.

This is clearly not what Cerny explained, or at least implied, last September.

Hiding behind "Pro supported, not Pro enhanced" is just a damn shady sidestep.
Can you provide a quote where he explained, or at least implied, mandatory enhancements to all games?

It appears MS has learned from Sony's mistake from this with how hey are handling the Scorpio, too
Microsoft isn't mandating that devs deploy Scorpio's power in any particular way either, so the possibility of "support, but no enhancement" is just as present.

Lemondish

If what you're looking for is to play a good game then play it.

Poster clearly stated that's not at all his or her only important factor when committing to a purchase, so you're just arguing with a strawman at this point.

Also, they haven't been promoting Pro support so I'm not sure why someone would get their hopes up for it. They are also a small studio so maybe they couldn't focus on the Pro as well but that doesn't mean they won't in an update or something.

Size of the studio is irrelevant. They clearly did not prioritize Pro support, just as you said. Furthermore, don't misrepresent the situation by claiming folks "got their hopes up". That's just a way to deflect blame, but there isn't anyone to blame. They made a conscious decision not to support Pro. You know what? I don't agree with it, but it's their choice to create what they want, ya know?

There are a ton of great games out there and more coming, and I don't have the time to play them all. I'll pick my experiences any way I choose, and that choice includes the requirement that it support this console. I'll swing back to Prey when (if) they want to do Pro support right.

I just simply won't support new games that don't have pro support. I may miss out on a few good games but fuck it...it's the only way to send a message.

That's what I plan on doing once I get my PS4 Pro. I didn't support games that weren't native 1080p on the system so might as well go even further with it like you're doing!

Picked up Bulletstorm: Full Clip and Final Fantasy XV. Gonna go dive into them now! :)
If you get a chance, can you post screens/vids/impressions of Bulletstorm? Especially if you play at 4K, since the game has been claimed to be native but I haven't been able to find shots to test.

I totally understand if it's not convenient, but if you do get the chance then thank you very much!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah. Count me in as someone who won't touch Prey until it gets proper Pro support.

Ridiculous that it doesn't have enhancements out of the gate.

I agree with the guy talking up ffxv as the best pro title with horizon. Maybe even moreso than horizon the best use of hdr on the system right now, it looks absolutley stunning. Im enjoying prey but man it sucks that they didnt give us anything

I didn't even like FFXV that much when I played it in X1, and I'm tempted to get it for my Pro. I was staying with family when I played it and was using a crappy 1080p TV. I'd like to see what it looks like on my P Series on the Pro.

Why doesn't Prey have Pro support anyway? I wish Sony would be more upfront about stuff like this, I thought games were required to support it from here on out. Also isn't it supposed to be really easy to add Pro settings? Lame they didn't even do a half-assed thing like have it do 1440p checkerboarded.

I used that name because people are familiar with it (and some folks can tell the difference between upscaled and native pixel art). If you find it impossible to look past the particulars to see the truth of my statement, feel free to replace that game with another where the benefit would be more obvious (e.g. Silence, Aqua Moto Racing Utopia, Yesterday Origins, etc.). There are many such examples, which is my whole point.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with the rest of your post, I just don't think Stardew Valley was a good example.

Yooka-Layle should offer a 1080p60 mode at least, I'll give you that.

Why doesn't Prey have Pro support anyway?

Because not all devs put the same amount of effort in their work. Hilarious how the small dev who made Little Nightmares can put out a fantastic Pro version, yet a AAA studio like Arkane can't be assed. Fuck 'em, I don't touch any game without a Pro version if it came out after the Pro.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What's odd is on the back of the PS4 game box for Prey it clearly says Pro Enhanced, yet none of the features are there (yet?).

Has Arkane come out and said anything about this yet?

Because not all devs put the same amount of effort in their work. Hilarious how the small dev who made Little Nightmares can put out a fantastic Pro version, yet a AAA studio like Arkane can't be assed. Fuck 'em, I don't touch any game without a Pro version if it came out after the Pro.

image.php

Top Bottom