• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V has shipped 1,7 million, Dead Rising 4 still under 1 million

Luckydog

What SFV needs is an SSFV relaunch, Xbox owners aren't going to change it's fortunes.

Would at least push it over the 2mm mark. There was a huge contingent of FG fans on xbox last gen. Even with a much smaller base than PS4, I have to believe they could sell 500K of units minimum on xbox.

Adam_802

Hope DR4 sales are bad enough for Capcom to reconsider the direction of the franchise like they did with RE7. DR franchise isnt dead, but needs some sort of soft reboot perhaps. I know there's already a lot of openings at Capcom Vancouver.

Absolute disasterous number for sfv. Considering the brand name and how well fighting games sell now. Absolutely terrible. Shows us how you have to fuck up at a tremendous level to not even sell 2 million copy for biggest name in fighting game when injustice,smash,tekken7 are all selling like hot cakes and will probably have surpassed the 2 mil mark within one week of release.

I-hate-u

Street Fighter is an all time classic name. There is no reason this franchise shouldn't be doing 5 million per game, I hate how they're handling this iconic name.

And clearly MvC:I is following the same pattern.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not suprised DR4 has sold poorly, it didn't review well at all.

I bought all the DR titles but didn't bother with this, based on the reviews and the opinions I've heard that it's not particularly Dead Rising-y any more.

Shame, I would have been down for a new title that was more DR than DR3, this title seems to have gone even further away from the series' roots.

I expect it'll be GWG soon, or on sale for £10 digitally (have seen the physical version for that price and passed already) so I might get to give it a go soon.

KingBroly

Banned
SFV still has not reached its' initial sales goal of 2 million copies that they estimated they'd get in 6 weeks.

It will never reach its' intended sales goal. Whatever it was.

Spman2099

I hope they are doing a MAJOR rehaul for the PS4 release of Dead Rising 4. Something along the lines of what they did for DmC...

Give the fans an option to play a rebalanced version of Dead Rising 4 that somewhat captures the essence of the original game.

SFV still has not reached its' initial sales goal of 2 million copies that they estimated they'd get in 6 weeks.

Capcom always has lofty sales expectations, no? Didn't they predict RE7 to sell 10 million?

I think the only bigger fall from this grace this generation was the Wii brand. Street Fighter V is an embarrassment. And I'm a massive sucker who actually bought two copies at launch (one digital, one physical).

fernoca

Absolute disasterous number for sfv. Considering the brand name and how well fighting games sell now. Absolutely terrible. Shows us how you have to fuck up at a tremendous level to not even sell 2 million copy for biggest name in fighting game when injustice,smash,tekken7 are all selling like hot cakes and will probably have surpassed the 2 mil mark within one week of release.
Not even Smash did 2 million in one week. :p Injustice 2 was close to 2 million in 2 months (1+ million in NA alone, no japanese release), Tekken 7 was under 1 million in 1 month.

So not within 1 week. :p

Platy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS_and_Wii_U#Sales
In 2014, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS sold over two million physical and digital copies in the United States.[120] In Japan, nearly 2,190,000 copies had been sold six months after release.[121]

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U became the fastest-selling Wii U game in the U.S., with 490,000 physical and digital copies sold during its first three days of availability, beating the record previously held by Mario Kart 8.[122] By the end of 2014, the number sold had increased to over 1.3 million.[120] By the end of March 2015, 1.6 million units had been sold.[123]

By the end of March 2017, the 3DS version had sold 8.72 million copies worldwide,[124] while the Wii U version sold 5.20 million copies worldwide.[125]

The game was released in OCTOBER of 2014. That is less than 3 months of sales on the 3DS, a console that has less install base than ONE of the consoles SFV is avaliable. Or 6 months in the console that had so little install base it got killed before it's time.

But when Capcom says that they will make more switch games, it will not be a Pocket Fighter sequel in the style of smash bros for PS4, PC and Switch

Anung

Un Rama
I'm usually not one for schadenfreude (reserved for gearbox) but I'm glad DR failed. Everything up to it's release was a shitshow and they gutted everything about the game that made it Dead Rising to chase an audience that never existed.

Them managing to tank SF in this fashion is totally crazy though. And by all accounts they are making similar mistakes with MvCI

Forward

It's time for Super Street Fighter V Capcom, whether you like it or not. Updates won't really do much at this point. The game needs a reset in marketing and hype.

That ship had long passed, too.

If anything, they need to get another monetary backer, and to hire a better development team, and make and ship a complete, finished product, in the form of Street Fighter 6. Free DLC updates every few months would go a long way towards keeping it alive. Remember back when companies assured us that DLC wasn't gping to be them dipping into our pockets every single time? I sure do. They could call it Street Fighter 6: Resurrection. Mel as MC, having been stolen by the Illuminati, packing a Resuryuken level 3 super.

Yikes. I even bought DR4 brand new so this number is surprising. I mean hasn't this game been on sale multiple times? And it's been 4 years since it's launch right? I don't believe this at all tbh...just doesn't add up

vg260

What SFV needs is an SSFV relaunch, Xbox owners aren't going to change it's fortunes.

That's obviously what they need to do, and it would be shocking if they don't.

It's too late for an xbox version due to the exclusivity situation and PC/PS4 crossplay situation. Unless Sony gives them an out on the contract and lets it be 3-way crossplay, which won't happen. Microsoft is not going to want a game on their system that segregates them from a PC-PS4 userbase, making it be essentially feature-lacking.

Fraeon

Yikes. I even bought DR4 brand new so this number is surprising. I mean hasn't this game been on sale multiple times? And it's been 4 years since it's launch right? I don't believe this at all tbh...just doesn't add up

Dead Rising 4. It was released last Christmas.

That's obviously what they need to do, and it would be shocking if they don't.

It's too late for an xbox version due to the exclusivity situation and PC/PS4 crossplay situation. Unless Sony gives them an out on the contract and lets it be 3-way crossplay, which won't happen. Microsoft is not going to want a game on their system that segregates them from a PC-PS4 userbase, making it be essentially feature-lacking.
I would assume it would be like Rocket League where PC can play with Xbox or PS, but PS and Xbox can't play together.

oti

Banned

It was on sale like two weeks after release or something ridiculous like that.

I hope the MS money was enough for Capcom. There is an audience on PlayStation waiting for the Dead Rising series to come over again.

PS always been done dirty with this series.

DR1 360 only (yeah I know it only just recently got a PS4 port).
Chop til you drop Wii only.
DR2 beginning 360 only DLC
DR2 post game DLC 360 only DLC
DR3 Not on PS4
DR4 Timed exclusive not on PS4.

I'm amazed is even a PS fanbase for the series with such shitty support.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, so this means both Pokken and ARMS did better than SFV (When you keep in mind the continued Switch scarcity & SFV's 2.5 year headstart)?

Keinning

PS always been done dirty with this series.

DR1 360 only (yeah I know it only just recently got a PS4 port).
Chop til you drop Wii only.
DR2 beginning 360 only DLC
DR2 post game DLC 360 only DLC
DR3 Not on PS4
DR4 Timed exclusive not on PS4.

I'm amazed is even a PS fanbase for the series with such shitty support.

Yeah i hate when other platforms have exclusives too its such bullshit

Not even a relaunch will save this game, it's reach a point in it's life nothing will change, a new name and new box cover won't change the fact the game never register with a big part of the Fighting game fans...

Deadrising would have bombed regardless of the platforms its just not a good game

Sfv is just a rushed product that should have came out a bit later. Adding additional platforms could help a bit I guess . But they signed an exclusivity deal. Oh well

Xater

Hope DR4 sales are bad enough for Capcom to reconsider the direction of the franchise like they did with RE7. DR franchise isnt dead, but needs some sort of soft reboot perhaps. I know there's already a lot of openings at Capcom Vancouver.

I bet you that they will put DR into the vault rather than reconsidering their choices.

Not even a relaunch will save this game, it's reach a point in it's life nothing will change, a new name and new box cover won't change the fact the game never register with a big part of the Fighting game fans...

A SSFV complete edition with first two seasons, stages and costumes up to now would go a long way. Works very well for other fighting games.

Knowing Capcom though they'd just put first two seasons characters, just those characters costumes and wonder why nobody wants it.

Nephtes

Would at least push it over the 2mm mark. There was a huge contingent of FG fans on xbox last gen. Even with a much smaller base than PS4, I have to believe they could sell 500K of units minimum on xbox.

I'd double-dip on SFV on XOneX if there's cross play and 4K gameplay for sure...

MrCarter

I think it can improve if they do a SSFV with all the casual issues addressed then maybe later on down the line make it F2P like Paragon. In terms of fighting game sales this generation they are doing better than their competitors like KOF, GG and BlazBlue (haven't seen Injustice and Tekken sales yet) so there's certainly still room for growth.

Zukkoyaki

SSFV with all content from seasons 1 and 2 along with a proper arcade mode released at $40 is such an obvious thing to do. Capcom needs to swallow their pride and just do it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Looks like they need more than PS4 and PC to sell more copies of SFV. I am sure Switch and XBox will help immensely.

cordy

Banned
Not surprised about SFV's sales. Let it burn like Usher and that's a double entendre lol.

Not even Smash did 2 million in one week. :p Injustice 2 was close to 2 million in 2 months (1+ million in NA alone, no japanese release), Tekken 7 was under 1 million in 1 month.

So not within 1 week. :p

Just a correction on T7. We're not even sure what T7's sales are yet but what we do know is that it was the best selling game in June, Bamco was happy with the preorders and also that Tekken funds itself. Given it's arcade model, it doesn't have to sell as much as other fighters before they make a profit. That's something a lot of people don't get, profit matters more to companies at the end of the day.

Megatron

Hopefully these shit sales teach Capcom that excluding specific consoles is a stupid idea.

They tried being console excusive on both consoles and it turned out bad for them. stop excluding peiple who want to buy your game.

vg260

Hopefully these shit sales teach Capcom that excluding specific consoles is a stupid idea.

They tried being console excusive on both consoles and it turned out bad for them. stop excluding peiple who want to buy your game.

It's a mixed bag, though. Having players all in one player pool is great. It just comes with that trade-off.

I think it can improve if they do a SSFV with all the casual issues addressed then maybe later on down the line make it F2P like Paragon. In terms of fighting game sales this generation they are doing better than their competitors like KOF, GG and BlazBlue (haven't seen Injustice and Tekken sales yet) so there's certainly still room for growth.

That's kind of a tough measuring stick though, because those are way more niche titles by comparison, and probably don't have nearly as lofty sales goals. So for the companies that make them, they may still judge their titles' success by their sales goals. When it comes to Capcom evaluating their franchises, they have to answer to their shareholders in terms of their own predictions primarily. If they miss their goal by a huge margin, telling shareholders they still have better sales then those three may not be too comforting.

Top Bottom