• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors interview (E3, casting, too many swords, Coliseum, more)

NeonZ

These are some weak ass excuses. Not to mention that it'll most likely mean that the children will be DLC and not pre-Awakening characters.

Huh? It's the other way around. The way they talk about how adding Lucina means that the other Children characters will have to appear in the story, and how parent and children will be similar but will have difference stances and some attacks pretty much confirms they are in the base game.

Not only that but this

Stuck out to me. Feeling obligated to include certain characters solely because of the in-universe relationships they have with others?

It's night and day with Sakurai's approach to SSB where he ignored that and left Chrom out of the Awakening trio because he didn't offer any unique gameplay opportunities. Reading the whole interview their logic just sounds so circular.

It's weird because it seems opposite to the logic they used for Hyrule Warriors too.

Astral Dog

Not to be mean, but they don't sound very smart at all. None of what they say makes sense. Why did Lucina's inclusion mean they HAD to include other characters from her timeline? Why didn't they make Lucina a higher priority than Chrom from the beginning of the development? If they had to remove someone then removing Chrom makes more sense as Lucina is easily one of the most popular FE characters. Love that Nintendo and IS clocked them real quick for even considering removing her lol...
No, don't remove Chrom he already got shafted in Smash 4 :(

Astral Dog

I kinda hate how this game has ended up in terms of character choices, but I'll buy it anyway because I'm a shameless FE fan. Part of the problem, I guess. I can't help but feel that this is supposed to be a celebration of the series like Hyrule Warriors was, but it sure doesn't seem panning out that way.
Hyrule Warriors also had all characters of recent Zelda games instead of all the series, its just that they came far later as DLC and the main ones had a redesign so the game had an "identity" of its own.

Here no one is going to care about the main lords thats the difference

Anteo

You guys act as if hyrule warriors was a celebration of the series with characters from all games. It only had OoT, TP and SS, 3 games just like FEW with Awakening, Fates and Shadow dragon, 3 games

The rest? dlc after the game was released, not even a new main story with some of the new chars until the second version which was 3ds exclusive

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hyrule Warriors also had all characters of recent Zelda games instead of all the series, its just that they came far later as DLC and the main ones had a redesign so the game had an "identity" of its own.

Here no one is going to care about the main lords thats the difference
Dude, celebration means OoT, TP and SS.

I think there's a few reasons why the three games FE went with seems more egregious than Hyrule Warriors.

1. Practically every single FE-related crossover in the past while has already drawn from 1, Awakening, and Fates. Smash Bros. has those plus one from RD and Binding Blade. Project X Zone 2 has two from Awakening. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is exclusively SD and Awakening. This is the fourth major crossover in the past three years that mainly draws from those games. Eighth if you want to count amiibo cameos in Fates, Steam, and Mario Maker.

2. Heroes and Echoes have rejuvenated a lot of people's interest in and awareness of older games. They're also pretty hot off the presses so it's a bit of whiplash for some people that they're a non-factor here.

I kinda hate how this game has ended up in terms of character choices, but I'll buy it anyway because I'm a shameless FE fan. Part of the problem, I guess. I can't help but feel that this is supposed to be a celebration of the series like Hyrule Warriors was, but it sure doesn't seem panning out that way.

Don't you know? Fates and Awakening are the only Fire Emblem games.

Are you one of those freaks who thinks a Persona 1 and 2 exist? Or worse, that there were Metal Gear games before Metal Gear Solid?

This guy smh, probably believes in the urban legend of a "Red Dead Revolver" that's been debunked by Snopes several times now.

Xbro

That would still be Ike. Presuming you mean the choose your heroes results, Lyn only came first because Ike's votes spread across two different characters, which together put him above her.

But presuming that from a vote that only got around 50k votes for the most popular characters is a large jump anyway, all it tells you is the most hardcore fire emblem fans like Lyn and Ike more. If you polled literally every person buying the games, Lucina would probably win by a landslide
unfortunately

Ike was also voted the most popular character in a japanese character poll.

Tookay

Their logic makes no sense. They've imposed all three arbitrary rules that that could easily write around if they wanted to.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The amount of blowing things out of proportions and basically calling game developers incompetent while having revisionist history about HW in this thread is astounding

NeonZ

Because there are a male and female robin and the female one is just a skin

Female Robin is listed as a character in the official site. Either way, she isn't part of the story and seems to reuse all of Robin's animations though, considering how even the battle/victory cutscene seems to be the same.

kswiston

So Nintendo just flat out told them "No" in regards to cutting Lucina?

I guess that makes sense from Nintendo's perspective. Other than Marth, she seems to be the most pushed FE character at the moment. None of the Fates or Echoes cast caught on nearly as well.

PK Gaming

ND: Well, you cannot even remove Lissa from the character roster in the first place.
Usuda: Yes. Since she’s part of the Shepherds, it would feel weird if Chrom were to appear without her. For example, if only Chrom and Frederick appeared there, it would feel off to us. We also inevitably decided character appearances by considering such character relations.

Like are they for real? This has gone beyond appealing to the masses; they're straight up full blown Awakening fanboys.

Watch them justify adding the rest of the Awakening cast. Like they gotta add Sumia right? I mean after all, we can't have Chrom without Sumia! Oh, but if we're adding Sumia then we gotta add Cherche to contrast. And if Cherche is in, then Virion NEEDS to be in. And we can't have Virion without Sully, and having just Sully would be asinine so let's put in Stahl too. But if Stahl's in, then it only makes sense to round out the roster with Miriel right?

Yeah that's good. Wait, I almost forgot to add Miriel's foil, The Vaike!

NSESN

Like are they for real? This has gone beyond appealing to the masses; they're straight up full blown Awakening fanboys.

Watch them justify adding the rest of the Awakening cast. Like they gotta add Sumia right? I mean after all, we can't have Chrom without Sumia! Oh, but if we're adding Sumia then we gotta add Cherche to contrast. And if Cherche is in, then Virion NEEDS to be in. And we can't have Virion without Sully, and having just Sully would be asinine so let's put in Stahl too. But if Stahl's in, then it only makes sense to round out the roster with Miriel right?

Like I said I am expecting the DLC to be almost only children characters. With luck we get the smash characters (Ike,Roy and Lyn)

Cryxok

That would still be Ike. Presuming you mean the choose your heroes results, Lyn only came first because Ike's votes spread across two different characters, which together put him above her.

But presuming that from a vote that only got around 50k votes for the most popular characters is a large jump anyway, all it tells you is the most hardcore fire emblem fans like Lyn and Ike more. If you polled literally every person buying the games, Lucina would probably win by a landslide
unfortunately

Fire Emblem Heroes has popularity contests called "Voting Gauntlets" every so often. In those they ask the players to "fight" in the name of 1 out of 8 characters. Lucina won the first gauntlet, Camilla was not in the first but won the second with about twice the points Lucina had. Later Gauntlets implemented a multiplier, making their results naturally higher, but assuming these Voting Gauntlets act as polls with a larger sample, Camilla is more popular than Lucina.

NeonZ

Like I said I am expecting the DLC to be almost only children characters. With luck we get the smash characters (Ike,Roy and Lyn)

They pretty much say that adding Lucina means other Children characters have to be in the story though. They won't be DLC.

Hayashi: It’s an obvious thing; it’s not because we hated her or something, but the reasons are because there are already too many sword characters, and because she’s of the children generation.

Usuda: Which means, when we were contemplating on whether to add people from the children generation, if Lucina wasn’t added, then we would’ve come to a conclusion that we wouldn’t add anyone from the children generation.

ND: So it’s the problem of adding how many people from the children generation and their relevance to the storyline. Lucina is a rather important character indeed.

Hayashi: Yes, so we tried talking about that.

NSESN

Fire Emblem Heroes has popularity contests called "Voting Gauntlets" every so often. Lucina won the first gauntlet, Camilla won the second with about twice the points Lucina had. Later Gauntlets implemented a multiplier, making their results naturally higher, but assuming these Voting Gauntlets act as a poll with a larger sample, Camilla is more popular than Lucina.

It has more to do with Lucina having more haters and Ephraim being much more popular than Minerva.

Vashzaron

Can't lie some of these reasonings sound like what a fan would make up to convince themselves their favorite character is in but this stuff is coming out of the mouth of the devs.

Cryxok

It has more to do with Lucina having more haters and Ephraim being much more popular than Minerva.

It seemed to me Camilla had more haters than Lucina as well, anecdotal of course. Minerva also got twice the points as Ephraim (and higher than Cordelia by round2, when Cordelia was eliminated), so players knowing how to score higher the second round probably had to do with it as well tho.

Fire Emblem Heroes has popularity contests called "Voting Gauntlets" every so often. Lucina won the first gauntlet, Camilla won the second with about twice the points Lucina had. Later Gauntlets implemented a multiplier, making their results naturally higher, but assuming these Voting Gauntlets act as a poll with a larger sample, Camilla is more popular than Lucina.

Camilla won the second with such a lead because, from the second gauntlet onwards, they let you repeat the flag quests for each round, meaning each player had three times as many bonuses from those, not because she was more popular than Lucina, where everyone had many fewer flags.

This logic also doesn't really pan out because you completely ignore that it depends on the relative popularity of the other characters in the gauntlet. Look at the other characters in Pegasus Vs wyverns and tell us with a straight face you think anyone cared about any of the other characters.

Merc_

You guys act as if hyrule warriors was a celebration of the series with characters from all games. It only had OoT, TP and SS, 3 games just like FEW with Awakening, Fates and Shadow dragon, 3 games

The rest? dlc after the game was released, not even a new main story with some of the new chars until the second version which was 3ds exclusive

This thread really is incredible to read when you actually remember how HW was released.

Busaiku

For some perspective, here's the character schedule of Hyrule Warriors.

When Hyrule Warriors launched, there were 13 playable characters.
Of those 13 characters, 3 were from Ocarina of Time, 3 were from Twilight Princess, 2 were from Skyward Sword, 5 were technically original, but 4 of those 5 are present in other forms throughout the series history.
There were 3 more original characters, totaling 8 technically, that were in the game, but not playable until a month after release.
No other game had any representation out of the box.

The first paid DLC that had a playable character launched 2 months after the initial release. The character was from Twilight Princess, bringing the total to 4.
The next DLC that included playable characters cane out 3 months later, 5 months after the launch of the game, and included 2 characters from Majora's Mask.
A month later, another DLC pack made another original (technically) character playable.
The initial Hyrule Warriors didn't see any new playable characters until the launch of Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Hyrule Warriors Legends came out 18 months after the original game.
Out of the box, it included 5 characters, 3 from Wind Waker, 1 more from Majora's Mask (now at 3 characters), and 1 more original (now at 10). These were not available separately for the base game for 3 months after the launch of Hyrule Warriors Legends (21 months after the launch of Hyrule Warriors), and were paid DLC.
Medli from Wind Waker (now at 4 characters) came out for free a month before the separate availability of the initial new Hyrule Warriors Legends characters.
Marin from Link's Awakening came out the same day as the 5 Hyrule Warriors Legends characters.
There were now a total of 7 games with representation (including Hyrule Warriors itself).

The next DLC character, 1 from Spirit Tracks, came out 3 months after the release of Marin; 6 months after the release of Hyrule Warriors Legends; 2 years after the release of Hyrule Warriors.
The final DLC characters, 2 from A Link Between Worlds, came out a month later.

kswiston

Camilla won the second with such a lead because, from the second gauntlet onwards, they let you repeat the flag quests for each round, meaning each player had three times as many bonuses from those, not because she was more popular than Lucina, where everyone had many fewer flags.

This logic also doesn't really pan out because you completely ignore that it depends on the relative popularity of the other characters in the gauntlet. Look at the other characters in Pegasus Vs wyverns and tell us with a straight face you think anyone cared about any of the other characters.

I was going to say this as well. Bonus flags were extremely limited in the first gauntlet. You were hitting almost the top score with less than 200k points for the entire gauntlet in that first one.

I think the reality is that, under a "we must include the main characters of each game" mindset and a limited roster, Zelda has a bit more freedom than Fire Emblem. You can include 1 Link, Zelda and Ganondorf and bam, you have room for characters like Ruto, Agitha or an original Impa. Even then, HW had only like 13+3 characters at release which was only enough for OoT, TP and SS. Meanwhile with Fire Emblem you'd be almost out of space for a base roster if you tried to include the main character, so instead you focus on the most important characters of one or two games. And then I guess you say "screw it" and include Lissa as an axe-user.

Except it didn't completely ignore the other games in the series and they made sure we knew it from day 1.
Literally he first trailer we got of the game showed Link using the fire rod, a weapon used in none of the 3d Zeldas. Zelda uses the wind waker. One of the first gameplay things we saw at e3 was them bringing the MM moon down to ground Argarok.

Even though they didn't have playable characters/stages until legends and/or dlc, the other games were still referenced, and they made it clear from very early on.

I don't know if they just don't have the freedom (since there really isn't that much variation in fire emblem characters Vs Zelda combined with feeling specific people need to be included), but something is different in the development of this game compared to that.

It probably helped that because of most characters not named link having little to no on screen combat, they could be way more inventive with what they did with then than they seem to be here (and even then, they got to make their own link/Zelda/Ganondorf)

I think the reality is that, under a "we must include the main characters of each game" mindset and a limited roster, Zelda has a bit more freedom than Fire Emblem. You can include 1 Link, Zelda and Ganondorf and bam, you have room for characters like Ruto, Agitha or an original Impa. (but even then, HW had only like 13+3 characters at release which was only enough for OoT, TP and SS) Meanwhile with Fire Emblem you'd be almost out of space for a base roster if you tried to include the main character, so instead you focus on the most important characters of one or two games.

Yeah. People get way too hung up on HW also only starting with three games, because even with that limit, its starting roster still managed to feel very varied, colourful, and work in some unexpected choices. Zelda is a much blanker slate when it comes to what characters and elements are "important" after the big three, whereas FE is so varied and has so much ground to cover that any limits just make every single inclusion or exclusion that much more scrutinized.

EDIT:

They are having a story mode, so it makes sense to consider character relationships. Gameplay-wise, there shouldn't be too many constraints, since three weapon types, three magic types and the modifiers pegasus, horse or armored should be easily covered with many many choices.

The story's not even canon which should theoretically give them leeway to do whatever they want. Nobody's forcing them to strictly adhere to the dynamics of the original games.

LordKano

This thread really is incredible to read when you actually remember how HW was released.

I don't understand it either. Hyrule Warriors was met with praise, and here Fire Emblem Warriors looks better on every single aspect and yet the criticism is much harsher.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not only that but this

Stuck out to me. Feeling obligated to include certain characters solely because of the in-universe relationships they have with others?

It's night and day with Sakurai's approach to SSB where he ignored that and left Chrom out of the Awakening trio because he didn't offer any unique gameplay opportunities. Reading the whole interview their logic just sounds so circular.

They are having a story mode, so it makes sense to consider character relationships. Gameplay-wise, there shouldn't be too many constraints, since three weapon types, three magic types and the modifiers pegasus, horse or armored should be easily covered with many many choices.

Cryxok

Completely forgot about the quests/round thing, my bad. Also true about the relative popularity of other characters, I was under the assumption that such lead would make up for that but the quests/round change throws that assumption out of the window. I guess we won't know for sure unless Lucina and Camilla both appear in gauntlet later on, tho I see it unlikely. I still believe Camilla is the fiercest competitor for popularity against Lucina tho, even tho I lack any sort of non-anecdotal evidence to back it up

TDLink

The difference is those three games actually did contain the most popular Zelda characters out there. Yeah the roster got better as they included more games via DLC and the second version, but the base roster was great.

This time, I'm going to have to pay extra if I want Ike, Lyn, and Hector -- 3 of the most popular characters in the series.

kswiston

Completely forgot about the quests/round thing, my bad. Also true about the relative popularity of other characters, I was under the assumption that such lead would make up for that but the quests/round change throws that assumption out of the window. I guess we won't know for sure unless Lucina and Camilla both appear in gauntlet later on, tho I see it unlikely. I still believe Camilla is the fiercest competitor for popularity against Lucina tho, even tho I lack any sort of non-anecdotal evidence to back it up

The way the gauntlet is set up now, it's hard for any character to blast through the competition.

Except for swimsuit Corrin I guess. That was the only beach character I had, so I was stuck getting no bonus points rounds during the entire event. I don't live in Asia where the rounds reset at a time that I would be up, and she steamrolled everyone...

Maybe, just maybe they actually meant it when they said the initial roster will be far greater than any previous Warriors crossover. Who knows~?

'Course, there could be 60 characters and still not one outside of Shadow Dragon / Awakening / Fates. trololololol But hey, with a roster that large, maybe the DLC chunks from other games would be large too rather than one or two per pack? Buuuuut that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Busaiku

The difference is those three games actually did contain the most popular Zelda characters out there. Yeah the roster got better as they included more games via DLC and the second version, but the base roster was great.
Besides Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganon, who would they be?
Keep in mind, those Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganon were original characters.

I guess Midna and Shiek, but you're gonna tell me Darunia and Gant are more popular than Skull Kid, Tetra, Toon Link (any incarnation), Tingle?
Ghirahim's not even as popular as Groose.

NeonZ

Maybe, just maybe they actually meant it when they said the initial roster will be far greater than any previous Warriors crossover. Who knows~?

'Course, there could be 60 characters and still not one outside of Shadow Dragon / Awakening / Fates. trololololol But hey, with a roster that large, maybe the DLC chunks from other games would be large too rather than one or two per pack? Buuuuut that's just wishful thinking on my part.

This interview pretty much confirms that we're getting clones in this game, unlike in Hyrule Warriors. So, I don't think a larger number of DLC characters compared to HWs is unlikely.

Usuda: Lucina is Chrom's child, so they have the same swordsmanship, but they will have their own uniqueness in special attacks. But when we were creating their actions, there were talks that we had to definitely change the standing loop animations between them. That's why although their actions are the same, they have different standing loop animations.

And the rule of changing the stance for each character started with Lucina. When many characters appear, those in the same class will end up sharing some similar movements.
But since we have decided to change Lucina's standing loop animation, then we also have to definitely make it the same for all characters even if they share the same class. So Lucina created that rule.

They highlight a different standing animation as the one requisite for clones, which seems to be a rather small one.

Zelda was easier to do because the cast isn't as huge as Fire Emblem. Plus most share the same characters just different designs.

I mean. They included the last console Zelda. The best selling Zelda game and the most popular Zelda game. They are kinda doing the same thing here

This interview pretty much confirms that we're getting clones in this game, unlike in Hyrule Warriors. So, I don't think a larger number of DLC characters compared to HWs is unlikely.

They highlight a different standing animation as the one requisite for clones, which seems to be a rather small one.

Hm, good to know. Maybe I'm not completely crazy. lol

Lunar15

I think this game had been in the works since around the time of fates, so they knew Awakening was hot, but the heroes poll and general nostalgia hadn't happened yet. A sequel might be a little broader, but it's unclear if we'll get one.

LordKano

I think this game had been in the works since around the time of fates, so they knew Awakening was hot, but the heroes poll and general nostalgia hadn't happened yet. A sequel might be a little broader, but it's unclear if we'll get one.

They already mentionned that if the game does well (and it should), they'll make a sequel.

Reki

The amount of blowing things out of proportions and basically calling game developers incompetent while having revisionist history about HW in this thread is astounding

Zelda was easier to do because the cast isn't as huge as Fire Emblem. Plus most share the same characters just different designs.

I mean. They included the last console Zelda. The best selling Zelda game and the most popular Zelda game. They are kinda doing the same thing here

This so much. One thing is to disagree with the character selection; another completely different - and disrespectful with developer's work - is to call this a trainwreck. They clearly put a lot of effort into the selection process, even if we don't agree with the results. I'd love a more diverse roster, but it seems you can't enter a FE Warriors thread without the same complaints being repeated over and over.

Eagerly awaiting more reveals and the release date, although I'm not sure I'll have the time to play that much considering M+R, SMO and XC2.

kswiston

Fire Emblem Warriors could have a roster of 100, and we'd still bitch about our favourites being skipped over.

Look at Fire Emblem Heroes. Even if you remove special event dupes, I think that game is nearing the 150 character mark. Of those, 30 are from Fates, 29 are from the first two Marth games, 20 are from Awakening, 17 are from Fire Emblem GBA/Blazing Sword, 17 are from FE Echoes, and 14 are from FE6. If you are a fan of FE4-5, the Tellius games, or Sacred Stones, it's table scraps. And even in the games that have been covered to date, there's still quite a few faces missing.

Top Bottom