• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors interview (E3, casting, too many swords, Coliseum, more)

FSLink

Banned
This so much. One thing is to disagree with the character selection; another completely different - and disrespectful with developer's work - is to call this a trainwreck. They clearly put a lot of effort into the selection process, even if we don't agree with the results. I'd love a more diverse roster, but it seems you can't enter a FE Warriors thread without the same complaints being repeated over and over.

Eagerly awaiting more reveals and the release date, although I'm not sure I'll have the time to play that much considering M+R, SMO and XC2.

I'm sure some of it is fatigue. People are starting to get tired of seeing Shadow Dragon/Awakening/Fates in every crossover:
1. Practically every single FE-related crossover in the past while has already drawn from 1, Awakening, and Fates. Smash Bros. has those plus one from RD and Binding Blade. Project X Zone 2 has two from Awakening. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is exclusively SD and Awakening. This is the fourth major crossover in the past three years that mainly draws from those games. Eighth if you want to count amiibo cameos in Fates, Steam, and Mario Maker.

TDLink

Besides Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganon, who would they be?
Keep in mind, those Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganon were original characters.

I guess Midna and Shiek, but you're gonna tell me Darunia and Gant are more popular than Skull Kid, Tetra, Toon Link (any incarnation), Tingle?
Ghirahim's not even as popular as Groose.

The SS people weren't that popular, just the most recent so it kinda makes sense (I view Fates' position here in a similar way).

People love OOT like they love Gen 1 of Pokemon. Of course all the characters from that game, ie Shiek, Darunia, and Ruto were extremely popular. Skull Kid and Tingle are fairly popular too, but they're not close to the mainstream popularity of the OOT characters. And Tetra absolutely is not on par with Shiek (also thanks to her inclusion in Smash Bros).

Midna from TP was also very popular and Zant was memorable. And yes, Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganondorf are very popular. It doesn't matter that they were "original characters" not from a specific game.

The weakest link on that roster was the OCs (which again they seem insist on throwing in these Musou games, taking up spots). At least Volga was cool though by way of just being fire Lu Bu.

Zelda was easier to do because the cast isn't as huge as Fire Emblem. Plus most share the same characters just different designs.

I mean. They included the last console Zelda. The best selling Zelda game and the most popular Zelda game. They are kinda doing the same thing here

Most of the world doesn't care one bit about Shadow Dragon outside of Marth. It should have been FE7 or FE9/10 as that third "Game" and then just also throw in Marth by himself.

Azuran

Banned
I'm legitimately glad they didn't include scrubs from the SNES era. Keeping it recent was probably the best decision they made because the majority of people actually care about those characters unlike nobodies like Sigurd and Seliph.

TDLink

I'm legitimately glad they didn't include scrubs from the SNES era. Keeping it recent was probably the best decision they made because the majority of people actually care about those characters unlike nobodies like Sigurd and Seliph.

Except making Shadow Dragon one of the 3 is literally including an old game full of characters that are largely unfamiliar to most of the world.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The SS people weren't that popular, just the most recent so it kinda makes sense (I view Fates' position here in a similar way).

People love OOT like they love Gen 1 of Pokemon. Of course all the characters from that game, ie Shiek, Darunia, and Ruto were extremely popular. Skull Kid and Tingle are fairly popular too, but they're not close to the mainstream popularity of the OOT characters. And Tetra absolutely is not on par with Shiek (probably thanks to her inclusion in Smash Bros).

Midna from TP was also very popular and Zant was memorable. And yes, Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganondorf are very popular. It doesn't matter that they were "original characters" not from a specific game.

The weakest link on that roster was the OCs (which again they seem insist on throwing in these Musou games, taking up spots). At least Volga was cool though by way of just being fire Lu Bu.

Most of the world doesn't care one bit about Shadow Dragon outside of Marth. It should have been FE7 or FE9/10 as that third "Game" and then just also throw in Marth by himself.
FE1/shadow dragon is the game that started the series and what made the series what it is today, to disregard that especially when its a sense of nostalgia for Japanese players is absolutely disrespectful to the legacy and ruins the point of crossing over with fire emblem

LordKano

Except making Shadow Dragon one of the 3 is literally including an old game full of characters that are largely unfamiliar to most of the world.

They're including Shadow Dragon almost exclusively because of Marth, and they just can't throw him alone here.

kswiston

FE1/shadow dragon is the game that started the series and what made the series what it is today, to disregard that especially when its a sense of nostalgia for Japanese players is absolutely disrespectful to the legacy and ruins the point of crossing over with fire emblem

Western players also played Shadow Dragon. You can buy Shadow Dragon right now on the Wii U (Nintendo really needs to get on the Switch Virtual Console). There's no convenient/legal way to Genealogy or Thracia.

Azuran

Banned

FE11 and FE12 look pretty recent to me. Anyone can pick up Shadow Dragon and become familiar with those characters if they want.

Characters like Marth and Catria have more going for them than nobodies only Japanese-only niche diehards care about. People are straight up delusional to expect someone like Sigurd in a game like this.

RRockman

Banned

Bruv why are trying to make enemies?

Anyhow my opinion on this game hasn't changed.

No Echoes, No buy.

kswiston

FE11 and FE12 look pretty recent to me. Anyone can pick up Shadow Dragon and become familiar with those characters if they want.

Characters like Marth and Catria have more going for them than nobodies only Japanese-only niche diehards care about. People are straight up delusional to expect someone like Sigurd in a game like this.

Siguard will get his glorious push in 2019 or 2020 when they remake Genealogy using the FE Switch engine. Perhaps in time for a sequel to FE Warriors if this one does well.

TDLink

Get out of here with that "disrespect" nonsense. Put in Marth and Tiki if you want. But as the first game it's the most boring game with the least developed characters. They could have found a different way to "represent" the first game -- like how they used Zelda 1-style maps in Hyrule Warriors for adventure mode.

When other long running RPG franchises do crossovers, like Final Fantasy for example, they don't just stuff it with dudes from FF1. They throw in "Warrior of Light" and call it a day. Because while that game did start it all, it also was extremely basic, just like Fire Emblem, and later games had much more popular and interesting casts of characters.

Everywhere outside of Japan is -very- unfamiliar with the FE1/SD cast compared to the games we actually got. For most of the world FE7 was the first game, and that game also has a slew of the most popular characters in the franchise. Yet it's completely snubbed in every single crossover, including this. It makes no sense.

Plus shadow dragon was disliked so much outside of Japan, they didn't even think it was worth localising (apparently much better) direct sequel on the DS, which does really summarise how I feel about the game.

I agree with the final fantasy comparison above, just put Marth in as the warrior of light equivalent and bury the rest of the cast and game, never to be mentioned again.

kswiston

Get out of here with that "disrespect" nonsense. Put in Marth and Tiki if you want. But as the first game it's the most boring game with the least developed characters. They could have found a different way to "represent" the first game -- like how they used Zelda 1-style maps in Hyrule Warriors for adventure mode.

When other long running RPG franchises do crossovers, like Final Fantasy for example, they don't just stuff it with dudes from FF1. They throw in "Warrior of Light" and call it a day. Because while that game did start it all, it also was extremely basic, just like Fire Emblem, and later games had much more popular and interesting casts of characters.

Everywhere outside of Japan is -very- unfamiliar with the FE1/SD cast compared to the games we actually got. For most of the world FE7 was the first game, and that game also has a slew of the most popular characters in the franchise. Yet it's completely snubbed in every single crossover, including this. It makes no sense.

FE7 wasn't snubbed in FE heroes or Awakening. Are you just talking about Smash (and the Project X Zone stuff no one bought)? This is the first major snub, and I am sure that the FE7 lords will show up as DLC.

Toxi

Banned
I think the reality is that, under a "we must include the main characters of each game" mindset and a limited roster, Zelda has a bit more freedom than Fire Emblem. You can include 1 Link, Zelda and Ganondorf and bam, you have room for characters like Ruto, Agitha or an original Impa. Even then, HW had only like 13+3 characters at release which was only enough for OoT, TP and SS. Meanwhile with Fire Emblem you'd be almost out of space for a base roster if you tried to include the main character, so instead you focus on the most important characters of one or two games. And then I guess you say "screw it" and include Lissa as an axe-user.
Exactly. People forget that Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda basically represent near every game in the series. Nobody complains about Smash Bros having Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf from Twilight Princess (+Wind Waker Link), because those also represent every other Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf/Ganon.

It's trickier when you have different main characters across games.

FSLink

Banned
FE7 wasn't snubbed in FE heroes or Awakening. Are you just talking about Smash (and the Project X Zone stuff no one bought)? This is the first major snub, and I am sure that the FE7 lords will show up as DLC.

The point is that they probably shouldn't have to be DLC.

But I guess they feel Awakening and Fates satisfies the western audience enough. :(

Plus shadow dragon was disliked so much outside of Japan, they didn't even think it was worth localising (apparently much better) direct sequel on the DS, which does really summarise how I feel about the game.

I agree with the final fantasy comparison above, just put Marth in as the warrior of light equivalent and bury the rest of the cast and game, never to be mentioned again.

Yeah, it's a damn shame they didn't bring over the sequel. It's one of the better games in the series.

TDLink

They're including Shadow Dragon almost exclusively because of Marth, and they just can't throw him alone here.

Why not? Seriously why the hell not? It's a crossover game with a random ass story. Why can't a random guy show up without anyone else from his game? I'd settle for that with Ike, but it seems that won't happen.

At this point FE11 is barely more recent than any of the other previous games released in the West. And it's certainly not the most popular.

And FE12 didn't even come out in the west so no one played it.

I'm not expecting Sigurd or anyone else from FE4-6 for exactly the same reason I don't like the inclusion of Shadow Dragon as one of the three exclusive games they're pulling from.

I want the characters I know and like from the games I know and like. People like Lyn and Hector or Ike and Ellincia.

NeonZ

PoR's and RD's situation is kind of odd, because the games did so poorly IS considered going in a JRPG route for the next title, dumping the SRPG genre, but it always seems to do well in polls.

Is it just SD or also Mystery of the Emblem?
Cause the latter is a great game.

It's just Shadow Dragon. Marth's design is even specifically based on Shadow Dragon rather than Mystery (so no chest plate unlike his Smash version).

This is actually kind of weird in a way because the game that really made Fire Emblem explode as a franchise in Japan was Mystery of the Emblem, not FE1. It's still the best selling FE game in Japan even.

kswiston

That had more to do with NoA's priorities at the time than it had to do with Shadow Dragon. NoA stopped localizing pretty much everything that didn't look like a million seller at the tail end of the generation.

Shadow Dragon sold more in the US than either of the Tellius games did. It was overshipped, so some of those were sold at a discount, but I am pretty sure that it was substantially over Radiant Dawn even so. We missed FE12 because NoA couldn't be bothered to pay for a localization for a game that was probably heading towards 150-200k sales.

LordKano

Why not? Seriously why the hell not? It's a crossover game with a random ass story. Why can't a random guy show up without anyone else from his game? I'd settle for that with Ike, but it seems that won't happen.

Because they want to tell a certain story and want characters that would interact logically between themselves. They've expressed that many times.

TDLink

The Project X Zone games were very successful, so don't project your own tastes on to what was or wasn't successful. So yes they aren't in those two games.

And yes they're not in Smash. They're not in Tokyo Mirage Sessions either.

Yeah they got to be in Awakening, but that is because Awakening actually included popular heroes from every entry in the series. And FE Heroes has a bit more leeway to include literally everyone by way of being a Gachapon mobile game.

The point is that they probably shouldn't have to be DLC.

But I guess they feel Awakening and Fates satisfies the western audience enough. :(

Yes exactly. Right now I literally do not care about the vast majority of the revealed roster. As a result, I'm not going to buy the game. I -know- they're going to charge $20 and then you'll be able to get those characters I do want. But that sucks. And then they won't even be part of the story either.

I don't know how some of you guys would be happy with just Ike.

If Ike is in. I want Lethe, Haar, Jill, Rolf, etc. as well. Don't just put one character in. Guess I'm not upset about the roster choice since if there's a sequel, other games will get their repected cast in it.

NSESN

Being a SNES character means nothing. Reinhardt is a Thracia character and Julia is a genealogy character and both are now really popular because of heroes. If anyting Heroes did a good job making characters more popular.

And I want to dire thunder my enemies to death in warriors too.

LordKano

Being a SNES character means nothing. Reinhardt is a Thracia character and Julia is a genealogy character and both are now really popular because of heroes. If anyting Heroes did a good job making characters more popular.

And I want to dire thunder my enemies to death in warriors too.

Note that the game was in development way before Heroes was even announced. All the characters have been chosen before Heroes was released.

NeonZ

The Project X Zone games were very successful, so don't project your own tastes on to what was or wasn't successful. So yes they aren't in those two games.

The first game was surprisingly successful. The second seemed to do significantly worse at least initially. Although I haven't seen numbers for it afterwards.

But that sucks. And then they won't even be part of the story either.

I really want someone to ask if the bond conversations are part of the story mode or something separate. If they're separate then DLC characters and someone like Female Robin, who isn't in the main story, still could get some character interactions.

TDLink

Because they want to tell a certain story and want characters that would interact logically between themselves. They've expressed that many times.

Oh, that's why in all the screenshots of Marth so far he's interacting with their random original-for this game characters or characters from other games. Makes sense.
fire-emblem-warriors-marth.jpg

chara04_03.jpg

PLY_TRA_839_ND_E3_2017_06.00_01_19_07.Still004.jpg

NSESN

Note that the game was in development way before Heroes was even announced. All the characters have been chosen before Heroes was released.

This doesn't excuse them for not including Echoes characters. I am sure Alm and Celica are now more popular than Lissa.

kswiston

The first game was surprisingly successful. The second seemed to do significantly worse at least initially. Although I haven't seen numbers for it afterwards.

I have seen the second game on sale for $10 new pretty much everywhere, so I figured it was at the very least massively over shipped.

I see now that the first game hit 400k, which is pretty good for a game of that type. Were FE characters even in the first game?

NeonZ

I have seen the second game on sale for $10 new pretty much everywhere, so I figured it was at the very least massively over shipped.

I see now that the first game hit 400k, which is pretty good for a game of that type. Were FE characters even in the first game?

Nope. FE and Xenoblade were only in the 2nd one.

ryseing

If Ike is in. I want Lethe, Haar, Jill, Rolf, etc. as well. Don't just put one character in. Guess I'm not upset about the roster choice since if there's a sequel, other games will get their repected cast in it.

I'd be fine with Ike, Soren, and Sephiran. I feel like those three would be a great way to represent the duology.

Reki

I'm sure some of it is fatigue. People are starting to get tired of seeing Shadow Dragon/Awakening/Fates in every crossover:

You're right, but I'm not sure that excuses some of the responses.

This doesn't excuse them for not including Echoes characters. I am sure Alm and Celica are now more popular than Lissa.

The roster was surely finished before Echoes came out and those character became more popular.

Maybe we'll get them as DLC.

Lynx_7

I think there's a few reasons why the three games FE went with seems more egregious than Hyrule Warriors. [...]

I think the simpler reason is just that Fire Emblem has a lot more viable characters that people actually care about. In Hyrule Warriors the only big omission for a game like that was Skull Kid and people were pretty vocal about his absence there (well, there was also Groose in a half-jokingly, half-serious manner). Most of the obvious fan favorites were there, Zelda has a smaller cast to work with and they're generally supporting characters, so missing a few popular characters was understadable.

On the other hand, here you have a celebration of FE with like 80% of the fan favorites missing, and major characters at that. Hell, when over half the protagonists from the series are missing, it's pretty understandable why people would be a lot more upset at FE Warriors than Hyrule Warriors.

TDLink

Because if they had to put more lords, there would only be sword users in the game. Again, that's also what they said.

This is lame reasoning. They literally made up two new characters that use swords. Ike and Lyn both use completely different types of swords compared to the other FE lords. Hector uses an axe. Micaiah is a mage. Ephraim is a lance-wielder.

Tripon

The fact that they were even considering removing Lucina and the entire child generation is concerning. I don't think these guys really understand Fire Emblem and the roster being limited to SD/Awakening/Fates is not good.

I think I might end up waiting for Fire Emblem Warriors Legends.

I mean fuck at least they could include the most popular character in the franchise. No Lyn no buy.
There is no Lyn. There are keeping it to those three Fire Emblems to stay away from character creep. (Awakening, Fates, Shadow Dragon)

Draxal

You are not going to get those but Soren, Mist and Titania will have a much stronger chance.

This is lame reasoning. They literally made up two new characters that use swords. Ike and Lyn both use completely different types of swords compared to the other FE lords. Hector uses an axe. Micaiah is a mage. Ephraim is a lance-wielder.

Will never understand the reasoning to avoid using Lyn, Ike and Hector and other characters . Would spice up the gameplay and show better representation of the series. I've already decided on skipping the game until I see more appealing dlc content or the base roster has some surprises.

I think the simpler reason is just that Fire Emblem has a lot more viable characters that people actually care about. In Hyrule Warriors the only big omission for a game like that was Skull Kid and people were pretty vocal about his absence there (well, there was also Groose in a half-jokingly, half-serious manner). Most of the obvious fan favorites were there, Zelda has a smaller cast to work with and they're generally supporting characters, so missing a few popular characters was understadable.

On the other hand, here you have a celebration of FE with like 80% of the fan favorites missing, and major characters at that. Hell, when over half the protagonists from the series are missing, it's pretty understandable why people would be a lot more upset at FE Warriors than Hyrule Warriors.

That too, totally. It was touched upon later but there's so much ground to cover with Fire Emblem that any attempts to impose limits or rules around that just makes every inclusion and exclusion subject to that much more scrutiny. I was more touching on how people kept bringing up "Hyrule Warriors only had three games, why is FE doing the same an issue?" when there's context that makes it understandable why people would be disgruntled here. But your points/expansions are totally right as well.

Draxal

One thing people have to realize is that Westerners really don't matter at all to Int Systems designs choices.

They really have no clue on what western players like so something like Sacred Stones is especially going to be hurt by that.

Giga Man

Lissa isn't a main character.

I'm not sure Alm or Celica Is more popular then Lucina or Robin.

For sure not Lucina.

They aren't, and they never will be. Thanks to Awakening's success and Smash Bros., Lucina and Robin are among the most popular FE characters ever conceived.

TDLink

One thing people have to realize is that Westerners really don't matter at all to Int Systems designs choices.

They really have no clue on what western players like so something like Sacred Stones is especially going to be hurt by that.

Okay but this game is going to be sold worldwide and likely garner more sales in the west than Japan anyways. It doesn't make sense to not acknowledge what would work well in terms of selling it to literally the rest of the world. And yeah, Sacred Stones is one of the least popular entries but at least people in the west are aware of it and know some of its characters. They're treating the actual popular entries that we got prior to Awakening and the characters from those games in the same way.

Draxal

Okay but this game is going to be sold worldwide and likely garner more sales in the west than Japan anyways. It doesn't make sense to not acknowledge what would work well in terms of selling it to literally the rest of the world. And yeah, Sacred Stones is one of the least popular entries but at least people in the west are aware of it and know some of its characters. They're treating the actual popular entries that we got prior to Awakening and the characters from those games in the same way.

Its more complicated than that, Int Sys loves tellius as does alot of its fans, but its was a financial disaster that forced them to retool their staff after RD.

The only really big poll that international fans contributed on was the heroes poll, and this game's roster was finalized way before that.

Oberon

Banned
To be honest, I am not that impressed of the game from what I've seen so far. It's understandable that they use characters from the recent games because they're popular, but I was hoping it would introduce some more obscure characters.

NeonZ

I don't think it's IS itself, but other Japanese companies that seem to overlook the international market. Note that Heroes included FE7 characters from the beginning for example. Amiibo support meant Ike was playable in Steam and Fates right alongside Robin and Lucina.

Exclusive focus on Shadow Dragon and Awakening/Fates only came with #FE and now FE Warriors, two collaborations.

Top Bottom