• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors interview (E3, casting, too many swords, Coliseum, more)

LordKano

Very interesting interview of Koei Tecmo by NintendoDream, and translated by NintendoEverything. I won't quote everything but there's much more to read.

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-...-lissa-lucina-frederick-robin-talk-much-more/

ND: Please tell us your impressions after E3 ended.

Hayashi: There were a lot of Nintendo’s titles out there so I was worried it would get buried (laughs), but I think we could convey that “these characters will be the core main characters of the game”. It’s still just about 20% of the whole contents though. And we’ve also been able to show actual footage of “controlling characters with quality that would have been only possible in pre-rendered movies”, which we have talked about previously. That’s why I think we could assure all our fans that “it’s real”.

ND: (Laughs) We’re going to ask about what Hayashi-san talked about in Treehouse Live. First of all on the existence of the Coliseum [mode]; What kind of thing will this be?

Hayashi: The Coliseum will be one of the modes for replayability outside Story Mode.

Usuda: Yeah. It will be something like ‘Passing through a number of battles!’ In the first place, the mode with replayability is going to have several [consecutive] battles, so if it didn’t have variety people would get bored with it. So when we were going to make something brand-new that’s never been in past Warriors games, someone said “Doesn’t Fire Emblem have the Coliseum after all?” That’s why we included the Coliseum which will have fun battles and gameplay with large-scale special rules.

Hayashi: We’ll properly announce the details at a later date, so please look forward to it.

ND: By the way, people are also discussing about “Why did they give swords to both twin protagonists despite many of the appearing characters also having swords as their weapon type?”

Usuda: Yes indeed. Because there are many sword characters, there were talks during development to give an axe to the boy (Shion/Rowan) and a spear to the girl (Lianna). However, the twins are Lords, and while we were designing the game prologue, we wanted those who don’t really play action games to be able to properly play it too, so we wanted to create the right kind of tutorial. In that case, the enemy positions and gameplay experience would change, and it wouldn’t feel right if they would change based on the protagonists’ weapons. We want people to understand the weapon triangle starting from the sword. We want people who don’t even know about Fire Emblem to be able to grasp the rules, so we made [the tutorial] to stay the same regardless of the choices for the two.

ND: I see. But it must be hectic to choose characters based on their relationships with each other. You might even end up having too many characters that couldn’t be removed. For example if you were to add Chrom, then how about Lucina?

Hayashi: But actually, we used to stray away regarding Lucina.

ND: And what do you mean by that?

Hayashi: At first there were talks in the development team of, “Should we remove Lucina?” However, after we talked with Nintendo and Intelligent Systems, we reconsidered that, thinking “That’s just not possible after all” (laughs).

ND: Why did you want to remove her?

Hayashi: It’s an obvious thing; it’s not because we hated her or something, but the reasons are because there are already too many sword characters, and because she’s of the children generation.

Usuda: Which means, when we were contemplating on whether to add people from the children generation, if Lucina wasn’t added, then we would’ve come to a conclusion that we wouldn’t add anyone from the children generation.

ND: So finally, please share anything else you’d like to say!

Hayashi: I’m rather unwilling to say this… but there are still many more characters appearing. Please enjoy predicting who are going to appear! There are still more characters appearing from Awakening!

Usuda: We only announced characters from Awakening this time, but I think you should have a good grasp on which characters will be coming. I’d like you to also predict how the roster from Fates and Shadow Dragon will be like from here on! Also, this title, which is fully voiced, is filled with love from not only us development staff but also from the voice actors, so please kindly anticipate it!

Oddish1

Many people who played [the demo] also shouted “Oh! My husband!” and said things like “My husbands, please don’t fight each other for taking me.” I nonchalantly ended up asking if the waifu and husbando culture is also getting into America (laughs).

Well then

Dot-N-Run

The whole reasoning behind opting out of giving the twins an axe and a spear and instead giving them both swords is a bit strange to me. Does it really make it that easier for people to learn? The weapon triangle isn't exactly the most complex of systems, it is literally rock-paper-scissors. And why does the understanding of the weapon triangle have to start with the sword?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The whole reasoning behind opting out of giving the twins an axe and a spear and instead giving them both swords is a bit strange to me. Does it really make it that easier for people to learn? The weapon triangle isn't exactly the most complex of systems, it is literally rock-paper-scissors. And why does the understanding of the weapon triangle have to start with the sword?
Iono, I perceive the sword as the vanilla weapon of the triangle.

Oddish1

Whenever they do an interview about how they decide the characters it sounds like they're torn between characters that have to be in for story reasons, characters IntSys and Nintendo wants to be in, characters that are popular with fans, and characters the staff working on the game wants. I don't envy whoever had to decide the final roster.

Cerium

The fact that they were even considering removing Lucina and the entire child generation is concerning. I don't think these guys really understand Fire Emblem and the roster being limited to SD/Awakening/Fates is not good.

I think I might end up waiting for Fire Emblem Warriors Legends.

I mean fuck at least they could include the most popular character in the franchise. No Lyn no buy.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The fact that they were even considering removing Lucina and the entire child generation is concerning. I don't think these guys really understand Fire Emblem and the roster being limited to SD/Awakening/Fatesis not good.

I think I might end up waiting for Fire Emblem Warriors Legends.

I mean fuck at least they could include the most popular character in the franchise. No Lyn no buy.
Its not that serious, its called planning. And it goes into every crossover title ever.

That would still be Ike. Presuming you mean the choose your heroes results, Lyn only came first because Ike's votes spread across two different characters, which together put him above her.

But presuming that from a vote that only got around 50k votes for the most popular characters is a large jump anyway, all it tells you is the most hardcore fire emblem fans like Lyn and Ike more. If you polled literally every person buying the games, Lucina would probably win by a landslide
unfortunately

No Lucina would of been hilarious. She gets enough promo.

And if they wanted the protagonists to use the same weapons, it didn't have to be swords. Not a great explanation there.

Gradivus

Most of the FE stories start with brigands raid towns, so perhaps they want the players to at least have the weapon advantage from the get go.

Neghis

Neo Member
This article gives me hope that Shadow Dragon will not be just Marth and Tiki. Now we can only hope for loads of dlc to get the rest of the games represented.

The creative process for this game has been a mess from the start.

I just hope it's as fun as Hyrule Warriors. They are not allowed to make a game not as good.

NSESN

The creative process for this game has been a mess from the start.

I just hope it's as fun as Hyrule Warriors. They are not allowed to make a game not as good.

They know nothing about what they are doing. And looking how they taked about the child characters, it looks like they have more chances of appearing as DLC than characters from old games.

Memory

Awesome did not realize they were having a battle arena.

I hope it plays like the one in DW8 as i loved that one. I'd take the one from Orichi also but the DW8 was better.

Eager to see the season pass also, I hope it's full of content for a ridiculously cheap price like Hyrule was.

I really, REALLY don't like Nintendo's and IS's involvement in this game. Literally just sitting there to tell them you can't you this character and you must you that character. You look at their other cross-over titles and you see the devs were able to make something really great and interesting and something different than what Nintendo may have made themselves, especially with Mario Kingdom Battle and stuff. Here its clear they are on a short leash with these characters and thats fucking stupid.

NoName999

These are some weak ass excuses. Not to mention that it'll most likely mean that the children will be DLC and not pre-Awakening characters.

I mean fuck, Marvel vs Capcin Infinite may be MCU heavy, but at least we're getting shit from more than just three fucking movies. :/

Galang

Banned
Not to be mean, but they don't sound very smart at all. None of what they say makes sense. Why did Lucina's inclusion mean they HAD to include other characters from her timeline? Why didn't they make Lucina a higher priority than Chrom from the beginning of the development? If they had to remove someone then removing Chrom makes more sense as Lucina is easily one of the most popular FE characters. Love that Nintendo and IS clocked them real quick for even considering removing her lol...

Lynx_7

Couldn't they still teach the triangle with an axe and a spear? That would actually cover a lot more ground than two swords. That's some weak ass excuse.

The more I hear about this project the less interested I am. Hopefully they do something interesting with the campaign.

Draxal

Got to save the money makers for dlc.

Camilla and Takumi are most likely going to be the next reveals.

Not to be mean, but they don't sound very smart at all. None of what they say makes sense. Why did Lucina's inclusion mean they HAD to include other characters from her timeline? Why didn't they make Lucina a higher priority than Chrom from the beginning of the development? If they had to remove someone then removing Chrom makes more sense as Lucina is easily one of the most popular FE characters. Love that Nintendo and IS clocked them real quick for even considering removing her lol...

I'm cool with it, it means if we get say Tellius dlc, it will be more substantial than dumping Ike on the game and not having any other of the griel mercs.

FSLink

Banned
Couldn't they still teach the triangle with an axe and a spear? That would actually cover a lot more ground than two swords. That's some weak ass excuse.

The more I hear about this project the less interested I am. Hopefully they do something interesting with the campaign.

Yeah, pretty dumb.

They could easily just have the two protagonists have a lance and an axe, and Chrom can be sword like usual. Just have Chrom show up in the tutorial first or something if you really want to have to do swords first.

Not only that but this

ND: Well, you cannot even remove Lissa from the character roster in the first place.

Usuda: Yes. Since she's part of the Shepherds, it would feel weird if Chrom were to appear without her. For example, if only Chrom and Frederick appeared there, it would feel off to us. We also inevitably decided character appearances by considering such character relations.

Stuck out to me. Feeling obligated to include certain characters solely because of the in-universe relationships they have with others?

It's night and day with Sakurai's approach to SSB where he ignored that and left Chrom out of the Awakening trio because he didn't offer any unique gameplay opportunities. Reading the whole interview their logic just sounds so circular.

barber

I expect a lot of DLCs if we consider FE and the previous Zelda mussou. Still, want to see more gameplay and know when is the European release date.

Not only that but this

Stuck out to me. Feeling obligated to include certain characters solely because of the in-universe relationships they have with others?

It's night and day with Sakurai's approach to SSB where he ignored that and left Chrom out of the Awakening trio because he didn't offer any unique gameplay opportunities. Reading the whole interview their logic just sounds so circular.

To be fair to the developers Smash doesn't have much of a story so certain character's not being in because of group dynamics doesn't work. This game has some naritive so caring about how tbe group shows up makes since, and I imagine they wanted to avoide making her an NPC because then you'd have people asking why their not playable.

Though I will agree them almkst cutting Lucina is ridiculous. She's pretty much a series mascot at this point.

To be fair to the developers Smash doesn't have much of a story so certain character's not being in because of group dynamics doesn't work. This game has some naritive so caring about how tbe group shows up makes since, and I imagine they wanted to avoide making her an NPC because then you'd have people asking why their not playable.

Though I will agree them almkst cutting Lucina is ridiculous. She's pretty much a series mascot at this point.

Yeah but like, they go on about how they need to have Lissa because it would be weird having Frederick and Chrom without her. Who says they even need Frederick? Can't you make Lissa's absence part of the dynamic? Hell, do you even need Chrom? Would they have considered putting Lissa in the game if they didn't feel obligated to?

I think the developers are just getting themselves way too wrapped up in non-game reasons for why X character should be in and it's dragging the roster down. When you start feeling like characters are included out of obligation instead of because they would make cool additions to the game, that's what dilutes the overall roster quality. They need to stick to their guns a bit more and not spend so much time stressing over problems that they made up themselves.

Galang

Banned
Not only that but this

Yikes. I didn't even notice that. Why does these relationships matter for a cross over that's purely fan service and not even canon.

MegaPanda

Usuda: Yes. Since she’s part of the Shepherds, it would feel weird if Chrom were to appear without her. For example, if only Chrom and Frederick appeared there, it would feel off to us. We also inevitably decided character appearances by considering such character relations.

It's like they just played the Prologue of each game and then picked characters from there.

I kinda hate how this game has ended up in terms of character choices, but I'll buy it anyway because I'm a shameless FE fan. Part of the problem, I guess. I can't help but feel that this is supposed to be a celebration of the series like Hyrule Warriors was, but it sure doesn't seem panning out that way.

Top Bottom