• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront II to feature in-game currency, loot boxes, crafting (affects gameplay)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Rainbow 6, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, Rocket League, Killing Floor 2, Splatoon

Since when does Siege have free post launch stuff? last i checked they have season passes.

Since when does Siege have free post launch stuff? last i checked they have season passes.

The season passes in siege offer one exclusive skin per new DLC character, some extra currency and fast tracks the unlocks for the DLC characters.

All the maps are added for everybody and you can buy the DLC characters with in game currency directly if you don't have the season pass.

Swarna

I figure a cosmetic only approach wouldn't properly fund the type of support they have in mind. Not every game has desirable cosmetics like Overwatch.

You're giving the business analysts at EA too much credit.

Only recently have they swapped off the garbage and archaic season pass model when they realized they could make more money without it. Who is to say a cosmetic-only model wouldn't be more beneficial/profitable?

These companies are far too often short-sighted with developing consumer trust. EA's monetary models are probably one of the leading reasons for why PC gamers don't play Battlefield anymore. PC versions of BF3 and BF4 were competitive or more popular than the console versions at some point. Now these games bleed players. Battlefront died pretty fast, too.

In any case, as a consumer, you should be expecting more out of your product.

***ATTENTION EVERYONE***

I, as GAF's foremost expert on the Star Wars Battlefront series will explain how this works.

The loot boxes contain two types of items (maybe more like XP boosts), cosmetics and Star Cards of varying rarities. The Common level of all Star Cards are unlocked via normal gameplay. The higher rarities (5 tiers) can be obtained either through the RNG lootboxes or by spending in-game earned credits (no real money) to upgrade a specific Star Card directly.

So essentially you can sidestep the entire RNG.

The only real money payment is to buy extra lootboxes, they can also be bought with the non-real money in-game currency earned through normal play. From what I've been told the average earn rate is one box per 30 minutes of average play.
Quoting for new page.

Quoting for new page.

I'm still pessimistic (obviously) but if the grind really isn't that bad there's STILL the issue of them messing with the balance by having 5 different tiers of cooldowns/damage/whatever in abilities. And yes, this isn't Overwatch and I doubt there's gonna be any pro teams coming any time soon BUT if your game is unbalanced to the point of being unfun then... well it's not fun. tbt to bacta bomb pre-patch

How on earth are you supposed to balance stuff like that? What if a turret is weak with a 60 second cooldown but is overpowered with a 30 second cooldown? or if a rocket only does x damage at level 1 but 5x damage at level 5. Mess tbh

I'm still pessimistic (obviously) but if the grind really isn't that bad there's STILL the issue of them messing with the balance by having 5 different tiers of cooldowns/damage/whatever in abilities.

How on earth are you supposed to balance stuff like that? What if a turret is weak with a 60 second cooldown but is overpowered with a 30 second cooldown? or if a rocket only does x damage at level 1 but 5x damage at level 5. Mess tbh

But the balance of season pass holders in R6 getting operators immediately is ok? While you grind it out? Nothing is perfect man.

But the balance of season pass holders in R6 getting operators immediately is ok? While you grind it out? Nothing is perfect man.
I don't like that either, it's not perfect but you can still at least buy the operators directly with money or credits.

The problem here isn't "Ash vs. x DLC operator" it's "Ash vs. Ash who has an assault rifle that has more ammo, more damage and instead of 2 or 3 breaching rounds she has 7"

It will be theoretically possible for Ubisoft to get x operator = y operator. It will never be possible to get x operator = 2x operator or in this case x droid/clone trooper = 5x droid/clone trooper.

I don't like that either, it's not perfect but you can still at least buy the operators directly with money or credits.

The problem here isn't "Ash vs. x DLC operator" it's "Ash vs. Ash who has an assault rifle that has more ammo, more damage and instead of 2 or 3 breaching rounds she has 7"

It will be theoretically possible for Ubisoft to get x operator = y operator. It will never be possible to get x operator = 2x operator or in this case x droid/clone trooper = 5x droid/clone trooper.

You can purchase whatever they have with the in-game currency. It's the same grind. It's actually even better because they don't have the option of buying it immediately with real money.

I'm still pessimistic (obviously) but if the grind really isn't that bad there's STILL the issue of them messing with the balance by having 5 different tiers of cooldowns/damage/whatever in abilities. And yes, this isn't Overwatch and I doubt there's gonna be any pro teams coming any time soon BUT if your game is unbalanced to the point of being unfun then... well it's not fun. tbt to bacta bomb pre-patch

Right now the only hint of competition is the Battlefront Community ladder site. I don't expect an eSports scene, but for semi-casual competition setting rules like "common only" will be the way it's done.

Looking deeply into this stuff, I don't see much of the rarity bonuses having a huge impact on public play, no more than a regular vs upgraded star card in the 2015 game.
Are you sure there are cosmetics?
From what I've heard, yes. Different types of people and aliens for the Rebels and Resistance, different markings for the Clones, Droids, and both era Stormtroopers.

I'll take it over a split playerbase.

This for a game I actually like and want to play.... But will I want to play this if I'm at a significant disadvantage? The only kind of parity people will have is probably the first week of launch and then people will have builds and epic star cards and now players are going against their multipliers.

Zemm

Thankfully the first game was poor and the sequel doesn't look any better so this game can be ignored for me. I thought EA were on the right path with Titanfall 2, that didn't last long.

MUnited83

For you.
Overwatch had a pathetic launch barebone and $60 yet got 9+ reviews because the name of the dev was called blizzard.

I got plenty of hours on it with the launch content, it was only 40$ ( the actual price for the PC version), and I think it's a 9+ game despite disliking every other Blizzard game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's still despicable gambling aimed at children.
How is it aimed at children? That claim seems to have zero basis and doesn't make any sense.

Swarna

It's still despicable gambling aimed at children.

Where are the statistics to show the extent of mental or financial damage to children due to loot boxes?

Also, what is your stance on booster packs for Pokemon/Magic cards? And on unlimited credit card access for children under the age of 18 by their parents?

Experien

This for a game I actually like and want to play.... But will I want to play this if I'm at a significant disadvantage? The only kind of parity people will have is probably the first week of launch and then people will have builds and epic star cards and now players are going against their multipliers.

You are at a significant disadvantage if you aren't there, day one, for like all multiplayer games nowadays. They all have progression systems where the higher level you have, the better guns/abilities/loadouts you can have. This is all thanks to Modern Warfare, multiplayer will never be balanced unless you go back to old school.

You are only at disadvantage if you never really play. All of this stuff is eventually unlocked.

Sami+

Pass unless the campaign is amazing.

If I want something cosmetic I should be able to fucking buy it like a normal adult. This lootbox bullshit is just preying on gambling addictions.

Loot boxes are shit and should die. Just sell your shit direct, you scummy shits.

waste time and money creating assets that less than 5% of the community will use... smart

Loot Boxes give EVERYONE access to the assets you create. If you WANT to have a higher chance of rolling something awesome, you spend more money but it is completely optional without taking away the opportunity to attain said item. If anything, loot boxes are actually pro consumer in a way that a real money store could never be.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think gameplay enhancing items stuck behind lootboxes IS bad practice for this kind of thing, but getting rid of loot boxes is not how you fix that. If your goal is to trickle gameplay modifications to the player, than tie it to linear progression not RNG or a paywall.

gatti-man

waste time and money creating assets that less than 5% of the community will use... smart

Loot Boxes give EVERYONE access to the assets you create. If you WANT to have a higher chance of rolling something awesome, you spend more money but it is completely optional without taking away the opportunity to attain said item. If anything, loot boxes are actually pro consumer in a way that a real money store could never be.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think gameplay enhancing items stuck behind lootboxes IS bad practice for this kind of thing, but getting rid of loot boxes is not how you fix that. If your goal is to trickle gameplay modifications to the player, than tie it to linear progression not RNG or a paywall.

Loot boxes are not pro consumer. They are gambling RNG and result in people being hooked and spending far far too much money on them then if the assets were just sold straight up. That's the whole point of the RNG in them

Lol how is it pro consumer when you're forced to gamble your money for items you're not even sure you'll get. The entire point of lootboxes is to influence whales into spending even more money to get anything of value

Basically like a slot machine.

recursive

Yikes. Listening to these guys talk in the video was weird. I am sure some people are stoked for RNG progression like this guy but I don't like it. Hopefully the crafting system isn't shit and crafting levels the RNG aspect.

Pretty packed season, this may get bumped off my list.

While the upgrades the loot boxes provide look somewhat significant, I don't think it will make a huge difference in most encounters. I think the meat and potatoes of the combat loop looks to be skewed towards gunplay judging from the various footage that is out there so far.

Yeah, after watching a few videos, the crafting parts really make this system work just fine. Just upgrade your favorite abilities with those. Can skip the RNG completely.

Vic_Viper

Not sure if already posted but they were sending out Closed Alpha codes today. Check your Emials if you are a Origin user I guess, I didnt sign up for anything.

Yarbskoo

Yeah, what could be anti-consumer about a system in which people pay for something they don't want 95% of the time?

Perona

How is it aimed at children? That claim seems to have zero basis and doesn't make any sense.

I feel like people just took the sentiments of that tmartn thing months ago where he was actually advertising his gambling site to his audience of children and just applied it to all kinds of gambling things in games.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Loot boxes are the present.

Until some noble soul writes up a law that labels this shit the way it should be: as gambling.

Just let go of this nonsense right now unless you also think trading cards and gumball machines should be illegal.

Pretty sure that if there were no lootboxes people would complain there's nothing to work towards to.

I never pay for lootboxes, but I like them. Always look forward to what I get out of them. And since you can get Starcards with in game currency, this is not even a big deal.

Pandy

Same thing Blizzard meant with Overwatch. Hilarious that people still fall for it.
I dislike the system in Overwatch, because I think if you're going to pay for digital cosmetics you should at least get to pick the thing you want, but it's a long, long way from interfering with the actual game.

EDIT: Also, R6 Seige's system is a bit of a grind to get into now that there are a lot of DLC characters, but if you play regularly and don't waste in-game currency on cosmetic stuff you can pretty quickly have access to any character/gun in the game.

You are at a significant disadvantage if you aren't there, day one, for like all multiplayer games nowadays. They all have progression systems where the higher level you have, the better guns/abilities/loadouts you can have. This is all thanks to Modern Warfare, multiplayer will never be balanced unless you go back to old school.

You are only at disadvantage if you never really play. All of this stuff is eventually unlocked.

No, it's not eventually unlocked. This is entirely RNG, that's the problem here. You can play for a hundred hours and never get one of those Legendary Star Cards.

No, it's not eventually unlocked. This is entirely RNG, that's the problem here. You can play for a hundred hours and never get one of those Legendary Star Cards.
Ahem.
***ATTENTION EVERYONE***

I, as GAF's foremost expert on the Star Wars Battlefront series will explain how this works.

The loot boxes contain two types of items (maybe more like XP boosts), cosmetics and Star Cards of varying rarities. The Common level of all Star Cards are unlocked via normal gameplay. The higher rarities (5 tiers) can be obtained either through the RNG lootboxes or by spending in-game earned credits (no real money) to upgrade a specific Star Card directly.

So essentially you can sidestep the entire RNG.

The only real money payment into buy extra lootboxes, they can also be bought with the non-real money in-game currency earned through normal play. From what I've been told the average earn rate is one box per 30 minutes of average play.

Floody

And I'm out.
I'll never support a PvP focused MP game that sells power, especially if it's through loot boxes.
Might rent if the SP is any good, but it's DICE, so not getting my hopes up there.

Xyber

Do you really believe what you just said? That scenario is pretty much impossible. RNG or not, you will unlock plenty of legendary cards in hundreds of hours. It's most likely even programmed in for you to get a legendary card if you haven't gotten one for X amount of crates, it usually is or players give up on the game because they never get good stuff.

But as mentioned, you can still get any legendary you want by using the other currency. Just takes some time.

hawk2025

Lmao!

Now that is one spin I haven't even seen Publishers have the gall to try.

Top Bottom