• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Windu said:
yeah no custom ringtones at launch. I'm sure the first update will add it though.

That's honestly really lame. I mean FFS phones for years have been able to do this. WTF is the hold up on THIS one? :lol

Firestorm

I've had my iphone on vibrate only for the past year so I can't find myself caring =P my silent switch actually broke off so it's annoying to switch it x.x

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Brettison said:
That's honestly really lame. I mean FFS phones for years have been able to do this. WTF is the hold up on THIS one? :lol
they had to make their release date

Brettison said:
Yeah, I don't get this. What's the excuse this time? They didn't have enough time to implement it? Sure, you can't side load files, but you should be able to load ringtones from the Zune software to your phone.

they had to make their release date
Really? It's custom ringtones, not multi taskting.

dLMN8R

It seems silly that "simple" things like custom ringtones and copy+paste are missing, but you gotta remember, the entire thing was built from scratch in a short amount of time.

All of those "simple" things still need to be fully implemented and tested. And sometimes they're not as simple as they seem.

-copy+paste introduces potential security issues since everything is sandboxed
-custom ringtones have all the minutiae of where can you install them from, a service to host them on zune, format support, etc.

Building it from scratch, all those things take time, and something's gotta give. A couple weeks here or there add up when it's a bunch of smaller things.

When it comes down to it, it's a hell of a lot easier to add in features like copy+paste and custom ringtones later on, than it would be to, say, add customizable hubs later on. Or support for plugins like Youtube. Or Facebook integration.

It's not a defense or a justfication - if you want those features, depend on those features, by all means don't get the phone! But at least Microsoft's explanations make sense here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ZOMG...

Live Mesh is out of beta and fuck'n 5 gigs free .... holy shit couple that with a Win 7 Phone... NOM NOM NOM NOM :D :D :D :D

Firestorm

Ok well I've hit a snag. A while ago I installed Zune 4.7 and the next day I turned on my computer and it would not boot. Hit a blue screen right after the Windows boot thing and I had to System Restore to fix it. I thought it was a freak occurence.

Apparently not.

Yesterday I installed Zune 4.7 again and now I have the same issue.

Ugh.

bedlamite

Brettison said:
ZOMG...

Live Mesh is out of beta and fuck'n 5 gigs free .... holy shit couple that with a Win 7 Phone... NOM NOM NOM NOM :D :D :D :D
Does Live Mesh have any similarity to MS's SkyDrive service? SkyDrive gives you 25GB free

Firestorm

CDMA providers will get W7 phones early next year I believe.
bedlamite said:
Does Live Mesh have any similarity to MS's SkyDrive service? SkyDrive gives you 25GB free
SkyDrive is storage space. Live Mesh is sync software that also lets you sync to 5GB of SkyDrive space.

Firestorm

I'd wait two weeks for the phone you actually want. I don't know about you, but I've gone two years with my past two phones (then again, that's how long it takes before we can upgrade here!).

Also from the Ars review:
I'm also surprised that there's no first-party Windows Live Messenger program. There's an apparently authorized third-party one from a company called Miyowa, but it's fundamentally useless to me because it doesn't support the new Messenger protocol that permits signing in from multiple locations. So if I sign in on the phone, I get booted out from any other machines. This means if I start a conversation on my PC and want to continue it on my phone on the train, I can't see what we were talking about. What I want is for the phone to sign in alongside my PC. Given that phone Internet connections are not 100% reliable, this feels to me like a pretty obvious thing to want to do, too. Maybe we'll have to wait for an official, Microsoft-branded program. You know, like they have on the iPhone.
Fucking Microsoft. Why does it keep treating one of their most popular products in the world with 330 million users like a second class product on its own goddamn platforms. I can't believe I can get a native client for Messenger on iPhones and BlackBerries but we get stripped down bullshit on Windows Phone 7 and the Xbox 360. Ugh. Just because the US doesn't user Messenger doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

MCD

MCD said:
Will WP7 support East Asian/multilingual support by default?

As in, can I read/write Chinese/Arabic...etc using the web browser or the messaging hub?
Anyone?

Korey

Firestorm said:
I'd wait two weeks for the phone you actually want. I don't know about you, but I've gone two years with my past two phones (then again, that's how long it takes before we can upgrade here!).

Fucking Microsoft. Why does it keep treating one of their most popular products in the world with 330 million users like a second class product on its own goddamn platforms. I can't believe I can get a native client for Messenger on iPhones and BlackBerries but we get stripped down bullshit on Windows Phone 7 and the Xbox 360. Ugh. Just because the US doesn't user Messenger doesn't mean the rest of us don't.
WP7 doesn't support Windows Live Messenger?

L - O - L.

I'm waiting for the second round of hardware (ie non-bullshit phones) and for them to sort out all of these software issues.

Seriously thinking about getting an HTC 7 Mozart from Orange in the UK. Its either that, or an iPhone 4 (but I already have an iPad, so I dont really feel the need for another iProduct).
Decisions, decisions...

Walshicus

MessieurCouchon said:
Seriously thinking about getting an HTC 7 Mozart from Orange in the UK. Its either that, or an iPhone 4 (but I already have an iPad, so I dont really feel the need for another iProduct).
Decisions, decisions...
Not tempted to wait for the Omnia?

shas'la

Sir Fragula said:
Huge question time... do I get the HD 7 and stay on O2, or do I wait for a fortnight or whatever and get the Omnia 7?

HD7 for me, as soon as carphone warehouse get them instock. I like the idea of the screen being big enough that my clumsy man-hands will be able to send messages quicly without fucking too much up. Once i get used to it, then in 10 months or so ill pick up a smaller 2nd gen windows 7 device!

CiSTM

Banned
Man, I really like the look of the UI. It might be the sole reason for me to go from Android to WP7. Still without multi-tasking and copy/paste I'm not willing to jump over but soon as WP7 gets those functions I will be all over it. Any euro prices for HTC HD7/Samsung Omnia yet ? Or maybe I should see what MeeGo has to offer x_x Dunno, too many freaking choices! :lol

Sir Fragula said:
Huge question time... do I get the HD 7 and stay on O2, or do I wait for a fortnight or whatever and get the Omnia 7?

I'd take a Samsung WP7 over the HD7 any day. Twice on Sunday.

Seriously, the HD7 has a huge ass screen and that's it. According to the Engadget review it's not even a good screen.

that high-contrast Super AMOLED screen easily puts other LCD handsets to shame. No, really -- even though this isn't the first time that we've seen this vibrant display technology in action, and despite some minor trade-offs such as pixel density, we were still amazed by the staggering difference when comparing the Omnia 7 with the HD7 and Mozart. On top of that, we definitely love how WP7's black background blends in so beautifully with the screen's frame.
vs
where HTC lets us down is in the quality of the panel it's chosen. We noticed viewing angles weren't all that hot in our first hands-on experience with the phone and nothing's happened to make us think differently since. It's just not a high quality display by today's standards; it can reach high levels of brightness when you crank it up, but if you care about faithful color reproduction, we'd advise looking elsewhere. It's saddening to see, really, since HTC has a much better display installed in its own 7 Mozart, as you'll see in the video above, and the only conclusion we can reach is that the particular screen in the HD7 represents a conscious choice of quantity over quality. It's a bigger panel, which gives you all the benefits you might expect, but it's also a worse one than any other WP7 phone available today.

Now that the Garmin-Asus collaboration ends in January, I'm wondering what will happen to the WP7 device.

XRQnO.jpg
XmBAS.jpg

And three tweets from MobileTechWorld.com kinda confirmed that the European launch wasn't really one.

Unlocked/carrier-free Samsung Omnia 7 and HTC HD7 to by available on November 10 here... #wp7

So this confirms what I was told earlier... HTC and Samsung managed to screw things up...weird... #wp7

HTC and Samsung are apparently 2 weeks late on #wp7 devices shipments. Orange France is expecting the HTC 7 Mozart on November 2nd

Another report on the shortages.
WP7 just came out and we are already having shortages?

PG2G

A little disappointed in the lack of a Smart DJ in the Zune software. Makes Zune Pass a lot less appealing to me

Maybe we should update the OP with a list of things that people probably assume are in the OS, but aren't -_-

Tapiozona

Banned
Earl Cazone said:
what is your problem with it? i think it looks genuinely fresh and intuitive

I'm guessing because it doesn't look like iOS or Android.
Must have bubbly grid of icons, etc, etc, blah, blah.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
PG2G said:
A little disappointed in the lack of a Smart DJ in the Zune software. Makes Zune Pass a lot less appealing to me

Maybe we should update the OP with a list of things that people probably assume are in the OS, but aren't -_-
You mean, they didn't carry over Smart DJ to WP7 devices? Christ on a speeder bike, Microsoft.

Walshicus

Entry # 2131 in the Fragula-Gets-a-WP7 saga:
Got off the phone with Orange who are dispatching tomorrow for a Monday afternoon delivery. Happy days!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Firestorm said:

:lol

firestorm do you know how much windows phone 7 would cost unlocked in Canada (if they come unlocked in canada)?

thirty

Banned
wait so zune for phone, when playing videos, does not let you forward? wtf. no doubt this will be updated, along with the addition of smart dj, but these omissions are going to kill us early adopters or push us to wait for an update.

jagowar

thirty said:
wait so zune for phone, when playing videos, does not let you forward? wtf. no doubt this will be updated, along with the addition of smart dj, but these omissions are going to kill us early adopters or push us to wait for an update.

You can but not using the seek bar..... it will fast forward if you hold down the ff button. It isnt ideal but I'm sure that will be updated.

Engadget reviewed the LG Optimus 7.

8/10

The Good:
Outstanding fit and finish
Generously sized battery
Play To media streaming legitimately useful

The Bad:
Generic LCD is a step behind Super screens
Awkward microUSB port cover
Smallish power button

Wrap-up

We feel somewhat odd giving such a high grade to a device that really brings nothing new to the table in terms of hardware. LG might be making gorgeous retina displays for a certain other phone maker, but that IPS goodness is nowhere to be seen here. The camera is also only mediocre, while the internal spec can be had on literally any other Windows Phone 7 device. What's really got us hooked, however, is the inescapable feeling of a quality piece of mobile kit. From the very first time we picked it up, the Optimus 7 has been delighting us with its look and feel and that emotional connection just refuses to go away. It's a minimalist interpretation of what the best possible Windows Phone should be like, and its small design flourishes are augmented with an almost perfect record of intelligent design decisions. Throw in the actually valuable Play To media streamer and the fun Panorama Shot from LG's own software labs, and you get a very competent contender. It's hard to quite crown it the finest WP7 launch device -- after all, Samsung's Omnia 7 has a bigger and significantly better display -- but the LG Optimus 7 might just be the one we most enjoyed using.
LG Optimus 7 review

Not bad at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dLMN8R said:
It seems silly that "simple" things like custom ringtones and copy+paste are missing, but you gotta remember, the entire thing was built from scratch in a short amount of time.

All of those "simple" things still need to be fully implemented and tested. And sometimes they're not as simple as they seem.

MS doesn't get a pass because they took longer to give a fuck about smart phones than other companies did. If you enter the market late, you're expected to enter at the same standard your competitors are at now, not at the same standard that they were at when they first entered the market.

Blackhead

Redarse
Stumpokapow said:
MS doesn't get a pass because they took longer to give a fuck about smart phones than other companies did. If you enter the market late, you're expected to enter at the same standard your competitors are at now, not at the same standard that they were at when they first entered the market.
But features like Copy-and-paste or custom ringtones are no longer part of the minimun standard of the market place—if it were the most recent Symbian phone would have been better receive than this crop of WP7 phones. The iPhone was 'late' to the market, by over a decade, yet revolutionized the industry without those features. The new standard appears to be a touch-centric UI with very user friendly phone, text, mail and browser apps at a minimum. Custom ringtones and copy-and-paste can help make those better, and I'd love to have them regardless, but they aren't necessary

Dural

Custom ringtones being so easy to implement I'm worried that it is something we will never get, like on the iphone (unless it was added with the 4.0 software?).

numble

Dural said:
Custom ringtones being so easy to implement I'm worried that it is something we will never get, like on the iphone (unless it was added with the 4.0 software?).
Didn't the iPhone always have custom ringtones? Unless you're talking about custom texttones.

dLMN8R

Korey said:
WP7 doesn't support Windows Live Messenger?

L - O - L.

I'm waiting for the second round of hardware (ie non-bullshit phones) and for them to sort out all of these software issues.
Apple doesn't support iChat on the iPhone?

L - O - L.

In non-bullshit terms - I'd much rather have an easily upgradeable third-party application than something tied directly into the OS. And third-party chat apps will probably be available in the marketplace in short order.
Stumpokapow said:
I'm not giving them a pass. Which is why it's helpful if you read my entire post instead of just the first paragraph.

Firestorm

dLMN8R said:

L - O - L.
Microsoft themselves developed the Messenger app for iPhone and BlackBerry. It's really stupid that they outsourced this. This could have been their BBM killer =/ Hopefully it's an external app so they can create a fully integrated one later.

shadowcomplex said:
:lol

firestorm do you know how much windows phone 7 would cost unlocked in Canada (if they come unlocked in canada)?
You'll need to buy one of the companies' phones outright and then unlock it using one of the many websites / unlock codes usually. $500 - $550 + tax is what I'd peg most of them at for the outright price.

Stumpokapow said:
It's not exactly like Microsoft didn't give a shit about the phone market. They started the development of Photon (Windows Mobile 7) in 2004, had 1000 developers on that project, scrapped everything in September 2008 and had to start over. Sounds like Longhorn/Vista, huh? I'm pretty sure the market didn't develop as they expected (the iPhone came along and said 'Hi'). I mean, look at the old screenshots. It's a pretty Windows Mobile with gestures, but you still had to use a stylus for things like the file manager. You can see some bits an pieces of it in Windows Mobile 6.5.3. Fact is, Microsoft fucked up and now they're paying for it and it's not our problem and it shouldn't be. If you read the reviews, than it's clear that no one gives them a free pass for that.

Charred Greyface said:
But features like Copy-and-paste or custom ringtones are no longer part of the minimun standard of the market place—if it were the most recent Symbian phone would have been better receive than this crop of WP7 phones. The iPhone was 'late' to the market, by over a decade, yet revolutionized the industry without those features. The new standard appears to be a touch-centric UI with very user friendly phone, text, mail and browser apps at a minimum. Custom ringtones and copy-and-paste can help make those better, and I'd love to have them regardless, but they aren't necessary
But they want to compete with other smartphone OSs and not feature phones. Multitasking and copy/paste should be there from day one. They could've at least implemented a simple app switching functionality like 'double tap the back button to bring up the last 6 or 8 apps you used'.

dLMN8R said:

L - O - L.
That's not the same. It would be the same, if Apple offered native iChat apps for Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry OS, but they don't. Microsoft on the other hand has native WLM apps for iOS and BB OS.

dLMN8R said:
In non-bullshit terms - I'd much rather have an easily upgradeable third-party application than something tied directly into the OS. And third-party chat apps will probably be available in the marketplace in short order.
And I would much rather have a native first party app with multitasking support. They even released a WLM on a similar platform few weeks ago, why not just port it over?

Dural

numble said:
Didn't the iPhone always have custom ringtones? Unless you're talking about custom texttones.

Yes and no. You could create a ringtone in itunes and trick the iphone into using it but you couldn't use any sound file on the phone for your ringtone (this was using an iphone 2g up to version 3 of iOS). And yes, I was also talking about different sounds for texts and emails.

dLMN8R

brotkasten said:
And I would much rather have a native first party app with multitasking support. They even released a WLM on a similar platform few weeks ago, why not just port it over?
How do you know that's not exactly what they're doing? I mean, the things not even out yet...

Magni

dLMN8R said:
How do you know that's not exactly what they're doing? I mean, the things not even out yet...

Yes it is, I'm buying mine tomorrow if they have an Omnia in stock. I don't use WLM anymore, but still, there's no excuse for this. Imagine MS developing Office for Mac but outsourcing it for Windows. Preposterous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom