• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

scitek

Is there any way to access your existing save when using the 60fps patch? I had to create a new game and can continue that one, but my other saves don't show up without GFWL.

EDIT: Durante, have you gotten in touch with the 60fps mod's creator? He was trying to get your attention.

Ciastek3214

Oh my God. Dat 60 fps. I had to sacrifice SMAA, SSAO, and 540 DoF, and I play with 1024x768 resolution. I don't want to go lower, any other ways to make it more stable?

Durante

blax8jej.jpg

EDIT: Durante, have you gotten in touch with the 60fps mod's creator? He was trying to get your attention.
We have communicated quite thoroughly by email, and he sent me his source code.

Durante

The above is possible by only using stuff already out on the internet, by the way.

I hesitate to provide an easy to follow guide, since this could really get you banned from GFWL.

I could have used my existing save, but that's in blighttown and I can't manage 60 FPS there ;)

BloodyBonzai

Neo Member
Using DSfix 1.1 and NKDS 0.1. I turned off downsampling, SMAA, and SSAO, but my fps is still locked at 30. Running on an i7-860 @ 3.8Ghz. I figure I would have fluctuating fps, but it is a solid 30 fps. CPU usage is less than 50%. I havent been testing any of the newer versions of DSfix since 1.1 so I dunno what my issue is. GPU usage is 80% tho. Does the 60fps fix work where if you are not holding 60fps, you drop to 30fps?

scitek

http://www.abload.de/img/blax8jej.jpg[IMG]

We have communicated quite thoroughly by email, and he sent me his source code.[/QUOTE]

Nice guys, you two.

I don't mind having to use xlive and play offline, I just don't want to have to start over again. I'm like 15 hours in lol

[quote="BloodyBonzai, post: 42198635"]Using DSfix 1.1 and NKDS 0.1. I turned off downsampling, SMAA, and SSAO, but my fps is still locked at 30. Running on an i7-860 @ 3.8Ghz. I figure I would have fluctuating fps, but it is a solid 30 fps. CPU usage is less than 50%. I havent been testing any of the newer versions of DSfix since 1.1 so I dunno what my issue is. GPU usage is 80% tho. [B]Does the 60fps fix work where if you are not holding 60fps, you drop to 30fps?[/B][/QUOTE]

I think it's because, since it uses a D3D9.dll to inject itself, it's incompatible with D3DOverrider and its triple buffering.

BloodyBonzai

Neo Member
Nice guys, you two.

I don't mind having to use xlive and play offline, I just don't want to have to start over again. I'm like 15 hours in lol

I think it's because, since it uses a D3D9.dll to inject itself, it's incompatible with D3DOverrider and its triple buffering.

Well I tested that out by running the game w/o any MODs applied and with D3DOverrider enabled since it did the ringing sound upon starting Dark Souls which it doesnt do if a MOD is applied which means its not active. By turning the GPU and memory clock down to the minimum possible with EVGA Precision I was able to see that the fps still was locked to 15 and 30, so D3DOverrider is completely ineffective with Dark Souls even w/o MODs.
I also managed to find out that the 60fps fix is working since my GPU wasnt fast enough for the settings I was running to take the jump from 30 to 60 since it doesnt fix the issue of jumping from 15, 30, and now 60. The jump it takes from 60 to 30 is really bad, so now I have to build myself a new computer when Intel Haswell CPU and the next Kepler GPU are released...

Durante

No, it has nothing to do with vsync. The game has a separate animation engine, and out of the box it can only either run at the full rate of that animation engine, or at half of it -- no steps in between. So when running at 60 FPS modded you immediately drop down to 30. And due to the peculiarities of the game, dropping down from time to time is almost impossible to prevent when running at 60, and very jarring. Between that, the GFWL issues, the motion blur and the IQ hit you have to take I'm not sure if it's worth it for now.

RaffAO

I love seeing stuff in 60hz when I'm so used to it in 30 (or lower), especially games. Makes it look like a ludicrously elaborate puppet show or 1970s/80s TV scifi special effects.

scitek

No, it has nothing to do with vsync. The game has a separate animation engine, and out of the box it can only either run at the full rate of that animation engine, or at half of it -- no steps in between. So when running at 60 FPS modded you immediately drop down to 30. And due to the peculiarities of the game, dropping down from time to time is almost impossible to prevent when running at 60, and very jarring. Between that, the GFWL issues, the motion blur and the IQ hit you have to take I'm not sure if it's worth it for now.

Ah I see, it's the same as when the game drops below 30fps, just with the numbers doubled. Sounds like an implementation that would be fascinating to look at if I knew anything about programming due to its peculiarity.

Grief.exe

Here's a very short video I made super quick for those who want to see Dark Souls at 60fps. It's in low quality, but the framerate is locked at 60.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vhnhwz3lhq8p9aw
(60fps videos can be too demanding for weak cpus. Restart the video if you see framerate drops)

Its so smooth and glorious.

Had to watch it twice because the first time my eyes weren't ready for it or something. I can't explain it, but it just didn't feel right at first. about half way through I think I got used to it though, and when I watched again it felt so much better.

gogogow

If you don't see any shadows (your own and shadows of enemies), what settings shoudl be changed in the ini file? I don't know what happened, I used to see them.

Raide

60fps looks really weird. It is almost like the fps is just doubled, so everything looks like it is 2x speed, not that it actually has 60fps linked animations. I imaged it to Benny Hill music. I wonder if they makes the Parry stuff so much easier?

Maybe its just me but the 60fps gives the game a strange almost swimmy feel to it. Hard to explain but it just does not feel right after playing the 30fps version.

Raide

On the other side of that coin, I'll only play a game at 30fps now if it's of near-bullshot quality while doing so.

Agreed. Hell, I would happily play more 30fps games if they looked as awesome as Dark Souls PC does. Of course, if they built the game around a 60fps engine, then it might look even more awesome but you can kinda tell it was built for 30.

Yup, that 60FPS video is exactly what I don't want Dark Souls to look like. I knew it would look like that 120hz automotion plus feature on HDTVs. Glad you guys like it, but I HATE it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
All these people talking about 60fps looking weird or "unnatural" please gtfo. The game plays just like any other 60fps game and the animations look perfect. You've just gotten used to 30fps the same way people who always play on consoles get used to low fps. I guarantee that after playing at 60fps for about 30 minutes you won't be able to go back to 30fps.

scitek

Yup, that 60FPS video is exactly what I don't want Dark Souls to look like. I knew it would look like that 120hz automotion plus feature on HDTVs. Glad you guys like it, but I HATE it.

Lol no it doesn't. It immediately looked much better to me when I tried it for myself.

Durante

60 fps looks great, but I don't think I can give up SSAO and 3840x2160 just to have 60fps "most" of the time, so 30 it is!
Yeah, I played with the 60 FPS mod for a while and that's exactly it. I could live with giving up some IQ if it meant playing at 60 FPS locked all the time, but even with very low graphics settings that's currently not possible. And the drop from 60 to 30 is extremely jarring.

You're simply not used to the framerate. That, and 60 FPS videos always look "weird", whereas 60 FPS games are always amazingly smooth and creamy.

jediyoshi

Not actually an apt comparison regardless, it looks like any game that goes from 30fps to 60fps.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Man 60fps looks so good in this game. The 30fps lock wasn't bothering me before but it's hard to not be after you've seen it at 60.

scitek

Unless From does it that's very unlikely. You'd either have to significantly optimize the game code at a binary level or parallelize it without source access.

So it's something to put on the shelf and take back out for use when CPUs become fast enough to hold a framerate above 60 at nearly all times.

Let's put it this way, I'd rather it eventually be possible than never be possible.

Tried 60fps out. Not stable and not compatible online without crashing or potential ban = revert back to steady 30fps SSAA/4xMSAA/SSAO glory

Zeliard

All these people talking about 60fps looking weird or "unnatural" please gtfo. The game plays just like any other 60fps game and the animations look perfect. You've just gotten used to 30fps the same way people who always play on consoles get used to low fps. I guarantee that after playing at 60fps for about 30 minutes you won't be able to go back to 30fps.

Reminiscent of people saying that 30 FPS games are inherently more cinematic.

It's also not only about looks but responsiveness. The game just feels much better to control @ 60 FPS as every game does, but the lack of optimization and online means I'll stick with 30.

That's how I see it. Ultimately I wanted the game on PC for the better IQ; to show off the amazing art. Honestly the STABLE 30fps is completely acceptable. I'd take all the bells and whistles of your fix than 60fps and no online, etc etc. Guess that makes me a lowly console refugee who is "used to playing at low framerates".

IoCaster

That's how I see it. Ultimately I wanted the game on PC for the better IQ; to show off the amazing art. Honestly the STABLE 30fps is completely acceptable. I'd take all the bells and whistles of your fix than 60fps and no online, etc etc. Guess that makes me a lowly console refugee who is "used to playing at low framerates".

I was with you until you threw in that ridiculous and gratuitous bit of po'mouth. There's nothing wrong with people playing the game whichever way it pleases them. I like the tight feel and responsiveness of running @60. That said, I'll mostly be using it to try out different builds offline. When I want to get some online action I'll simply revert to DSFix @30 with jazzed-up graphics. From my perspective that's a win-win.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think I might be able to sacrifice some of the IQ if I could just use my save with the 60fps fix. Anyone know if there's a way that we can do this?

Sorry dude, I guess I just like responsive games. I guess you could say that I am a "gameplay over graphics" guy. It is a shame that a great action game like this is shackled at 30fps.

Top Bottom