• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

I still don't care because I have to use an illegal modification of the exe to play... which I don't want to do, because I want to play online withou having my account going banned.

And I don't see gameplay differences with 30 or 60FPS. Only graphical differences. It looks smoother... alright... I don't think controls feel more smooth, at all, from my experience with many 60FPS games.

This is objectively false. 60 FPS simply does make controls smoother than 30 FPS in every game. There's not much else to say other than that.

Durante

So, does the release of the source code mean Durante has ended active development of the patch?
No. But I can't justify continuing to spend 40 hours a week on it like I did during the last few weeks, so updates will slow down a bit (unless someone else starts contributing).

Does GFWL ban Live accounts for cheating by default? I can't imagine that From added any PC-specific anti-cheating code so should we really be worried about bans if the current 60 FPS mod already works online?
GFWL has anti-cheat protection that continuously scans the address space of the executable and checks for modifications. The 60 FPS mod performs such modifications, so the only way to get it working is by explicitly disabling ("hacking" if you will) GFWL's anti-cheat protection. I'm really hesistant to include that in DSfix, because I'm 100% certain that even if I add a huge warning in 300 pt font, should someone ever get banned for it they will blame me.

Igo

It took me a while because the damn recording software didn't like Duante's fix, but here you go (remember that the video needs decent CPU to play properly):

(1080p/DSfix/60fps)

I tried to record Blighttown, but the framerate was all over the place, so it's basically just The Asylum and Firelink.
God damn!

What are you comp specs and settings?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is objectively false. 60 FPS simply does make controls smoother than 30 FPS in every game. There's not much else to say other than that.

I'd say that's true only if the controller pooling is dependant on the screen refresh rate.

For instance, doesn't one of the Forzas renders ar 30 fps, pools the controller at 60 fps and calculates physics at 120 fps (in wrong terms)?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Is it not theoretically possible for a game to render graphics at 60fps but only poll the controller at 30fps? This is a serious question I have no idea what I'm talking about mostly.

edit: beaten, and maybe I do know what i'm talking about

TheExodu5

Banned
I'd say that's true only if the controller pooling is dependant on the screen refresh rate.

Though that is true, you'll still get the feedback to your controls every 1/30th of a second instead of every 1/60th of a second, even if it does poll twice as often. In practice, the controls would be as responsive as a 60fps game, but the perception won't be the same.

edit: are controllers really polled? Not sure how they work, technically.

Is it not theoretically possible for a game to render graphics at 60fps but only poll the controller at 30fps? This is a serious question I have no idea what I'm talking about mostly.

Possible...but I doubt many games do that. That being said, Dark Souls could indeed work that way, since it sets its display rate in a very unorthodox fashion.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Though that is true, you'll still get the feedback to your controls every 1/30th of a second instead of every 1/60th of a second, even if it does poll twice as often. In practice, the controls would be as responsive as a 60fps game, but the perception won't be the same.

I just used a word I heard once in a similar discussion. No idea if it's the right one.

In any case, I think a person could be forgiven for not noticing the difference in Dark Souls which is a very deliberately paced game. The console version didn't exactly feel snappy and it was totally playable once they fixed the missed-input bug.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Possible...but I doubt many games do that. That being said, Dark Souls could indeed work that way, since it sets its display rate in a very unorthodox fashion.

Polling was just the word I used (and I wrote it as pool even!). Let's go with input detection.

If the screen rendering is linked to the input detection, as it was suggested in this discussion (since 60 fps automatically makes the controller responsiveness better), wouldn't that mean that when your FPS drops to 15 (the other available refresh rate possible in the graphical engine), your controller responsiveness would also be worse?

Think along the lines of the animation engine: Speeding up the game to 60 fps, normally, makes everything run twice as fast. Maybe, in that case, your controllers also get twice as "responsive". But since this patch somehow stops the animation from going twice as fast, maybe it prevents the "input detection" to be twice as fast also?

This discussion is going nowhere. What I really want to say is: Better FPS doesn't necessarily mean better controls - specially in a heavily animation prioritized game like this.

Sarcasm

God damn since when GAF is so unhelpful? :(

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2937696&page=4

Also..it disables a few of DSfix stuff..one easy example is skipintrocutscene stuff..I have to watch the intro.

I get 60 FPS loading and shitty performance. 30 in game..use a spell 10..where as before it was always 30 except bonfires. Bonfires EVEN worse now. Quick specs below. So either I am having that -only guy to be having problem so its my PC wise- or -its not worth it yet-

i7 3770k
GTX670

Pyrrhus

No. But I can't justify continuing to spend 40 hours a week on it like I did during the last few weeks, so updates will slow down a bit (unless someone else starts contributing).

I understand and I'm sorry if the question sounded ungrateful. You have certainly done more than enough to justify calling it a day as it is, but I'm glad to hear you're going to continue your fine work in some capacity.

Thrakier

Lol, I remember you were always asking questions and never getting answers.

image.php

Also..it disables a few of DSfix stuff..one easy example is skipintrocutscene stuff..I have to watch the intro.

I get 60 FPS loading and shitty performance. 30 in game..use a spell 10..where as before it was always 30 except bonfires. Bonfires EVEN worse now. Quick specs below. So either I am having that -only guy to be having problem so its my PC wise- or -its not worth it yet-

i7 3770k
GTX670

woah, with your specs your performance should be much better. I have to test it.

Carm

People keep saying a smooth 30fps, are you able to just brute force the game so it won't drop to 15 during certain bosses abilities? I assumed it was just a flaw not being fixable. I wonder what the cutoff point is hardware wise if so. Playing with just the internal at 1080p, all other extras in the mod turned off and it drops to 15 during certain bosses, mostly tied to abilities. Darkroot Basin and Depths bosses were pretty bad about it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

i7 3770k
GTX670

I think more important is what are the settings you're running?

What res are you rendering at, SSAO, SMAA, DoF res, all that jive.

If you post it we might be able to help.

Thrakier

People keep saying a smooth 30fps, are you able to just brute force the game so it won't drop to 15 during certain bosses abilities? I assumed it was just a flaw not being fixable. I wonder what the cutoff point is hardware wise if so. Playing with just the internal at 1080p, all other extras in the mod turned off and it drops to 15 during certain bosses, mostly tied to abilities. Darkroot Basin and Depths bosses were pretty bad about it.

I had drops to 15FPS sometimes and now to 30FPS even though my 660TI was only running with 320mhz...there is definitly some weird stuff going on in the engine.

Thrakier

Internal buffer set to 3840x2400. Play at 1920x1200. Using Flawless widescreen too.

Here is ini

Well no one wonder you get framedrops then. That resolution is way to high. Go back to just 1080p. Plays better anway imo.

So I tried the fix with 1080p, SMAA 4 and SSAO activated. I'm getting two kind of framedrops. Down to 30, often with no appearant reason. The same scene can run at 30 or 60, my GPU definitly isn't running at full force. It's a bit weird. Reducing SMAA etc doesn't seem like it helps a lot. F.e. that monster which shoots water in the garden basin, every time it shoots frames go down to 30. It's a bit jarring with all these huge jumps in frames. Game is much better with 60FPS but I'm thinking about just sticking with 30.

Sarcasm

Well no one wonder you get framedrops then. That resolution is way to high. Go back to just 1080p. Plays better anway imo.

So I tried the fix with 1080p, SMAA 4 and SSAO activated. I'm getting two kind of framedrops. Down to 30, often with no appearant reason. The same scene can run at 30 or 60, my GPU definitly isn't running at full force. It's a bit weird. Reducing SMAA etc doesn't seem like it helps a lot. F.e. that monster which shoots water in the garden basin, every time it shoots frames go down to 30. It's a bit jarring with all these huge jumps in frames. Game is much better with 60FPS but I'm thinking about just sticking with 30.

So my native is 1920x1200..set internal to 1920x1080? Also I use flawless widescreen.

Sarcasm

Yep that did the trick. I have internal set at 1920x1200 (should I try x1080?). I get 60..mainly steady. I set the two SSMA and something else to max now. Runs awesome.

This fixed input lag..I just parried 10 times in a row when I typ get 1 out of 12!!

Thrakier

Yep that did the trick. I have internal set at 1920x1200 (should I try x1080?). I get 60..mainly steady. I set the two SSMA and something else to max now. Runs awesome.

This fixed input lag..I just parried 10 times in a row when I typ get 1 out of 12!!

This is what I said before. Downsampled games always feel laggy to me.

Sarcasm

This game looks waaaay better with 2x2 supersampling. I vote for downsampling. No difference in input lag for me.

Yea I guess it comes down to:

60FPS (For me less input - I am actually parrying way more often)

or downsample from 2x2

I guess I could try 1.5..

2880x1800...see how that goes.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh yeah, there's most likely a difference in input lag in between 60/30. Just no difference if you're downsampling or not. Won't blame you for running at 60.

Sarcasm

I just tried the next highest resolution for my aspect and I get 60FPS. 4 AM and I need to sleep. Was going to test the difference between my native 1200 to that 2560x1600 resolution to see which one is more steady. I'd wish it would stay 50-60...this is for either but when it dips down to 30 really noticeable.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Played around a bit offline with 60fps, and to be blunt, right now it isn't worth it... Framerates in many areas are way too unstable to be any real use for serious gameplay sadly. I'm running it on:

2600k 4.4GHz (new OC)
GTX 690 SLI (using one card)

So I'm not exactly running a weak CPU, and I get frames all over the place, 60-42, 60-35, 60-27, Blighttown for me is a constant 40-28. So I'd rather just keep it smooth at 30 for now. For anyone wishing for a stable 60 on mid-high range machines, our best bet is From releases that patch or unicorns start sprouting from the ground. Whichever happens first...

TheExodu5

Banned
Played around a bit offline with 60fps, and to be blunt, right now it isn't worth it... Framerates in many areas are way too unstable to be any real use for serious gameplay sadly. I'm running it on:

2600k 4.4GHz (new OC)
GTX 690 SLI (using one card)

So I'm not exactly running a weak CPU, and I get frames all over the place, 60-42, 60-35, 60-27, Blighttown for me is a constant 40-28. So I'd rather just keep it smooth at 30 for now. For anyone wishing for a stable 60 on mid-high range machines, our best bet is From releases that patch or unicorns start sprouting from the ground. Whichever happens first...

Yeah, that's my main problem. If it was a constant 60fps I'd consider it. As it stands, it's far too erratic. Too many sacrifices need to be made for an erratic 60fps.

Well just think - when you come back to this amazing game next time you make a major upgrade (or well if you come back in like 10 years)... 60FPS is waiting for you.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah, that's my main problem. If it was a constant 60fps I'd consider it. As it stands, it's far too erratic. Too many sacrifices need to be made for an erratic 60fps.

Yep, not to mention one my favorite features of DSFix (skipintro) doesn't work. At least not yet. But hopefully some major advancements can be made here, but I'm not holding my breath unless From decides to patch it, and if so hopefully through Steam.

The problem isn't missing horsepower, it's the game.

Yeah, I am well aware. But unless your going to optimize this game yourself (without source!) then yeah your going to need more horsepower (specifically future CPUs) because I doubt From Software is ever going to touch this version of the game ever again.

Gvaz

Banned
It's an observation.

I generally do advocate for higher frame rates where possible.

I just think something looks a little off about the way the motion looks in the video that was posted up.

It's kinda like motionflow on TVs - the function that interpolates frames out of existing frames.

Some people are happy with it, but for some people, it looks 'off'.

Motionflow is shit. It's easy to tell because you have seen the same thing at 24fps and at 60fps it looks weird as shit because it was not made for it.

This however looks just like any other game at 60fps.

GFWL has anti-cheat protection that continuously scans the address space of the executable and checks for modifications. The 60 FPS mod performs such modifications, so the only way to get it working is by explicitly disabling ("hacking" if you will) GFWL's anti-cheat protection. I'm really hesistant to include that in DSfix, because I'm 100% certain that even if I add a huge warning in 300 pt font, should someone ever get banned for it they will blame me.

Yes, this is literally what I said needed to happen in order to go online earlier.

GFWL is shit anyways. No one should be using it. I wish there was a way to get some sort of dedicated server up instead of gfwl. The PS3 uses a system like that for DS and Demon Souls, right?

Thrakier

Yeah, I am well aware. But unless your going to optimize this game yourself (without source!) then yeah your going to need more horsepower (specifically future CPUs) because I doubt From Software is ever going to touch this version of the game ever again.

I still don't think that'll help. I get framerate drops albeit my horsepower is barely used.

scitek

Honestly I have to ask, what the fuck could have been the mindset behind making the game tank straight to 15fps once it dipped below 30? I mean, dropping to 30 from 60 sucks, but you're still left with a playable game. 15 isn't playable by any stretch of my imagination.

Top Bottom