• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debating between a Switch and X this holiday (hear me out)

Neoxon

"- I fear the droughts. Main reason why I didn't keep my Wii or U around for long. Indies should solve that though"

-march zelda botw
-april mario kart
-may : street fighters
-jun arms
-july splatoon 2
-august mario + rabbits
-september pokken DX
-october super mario odyssey
-december xenoblade 2

next :
-kirby
-yoshi
-travis strikes again
-metroid prime 4
-pokemon
-retro studio game ?
-super smash bros ?

+ all other games

ok i think it's worth (you can play everywhere decent games, i think it's fantastic), but if you don't care about these games buy the X
If you can in the future, buy both it's two verry different ways to play games ^^
I doubt that we’ll get Metroid Prime 4 next year (& Pokémon isn’t for sure next year, either, though I’m more hopeful than I was before about its chances). Otherwise, you have a point.

Based on everything in OP

Sell:
- PRO
- Xbone

Get (in the following order):
- Xbonex
- A cheap regular Ps4
- Switch

Xbonex will be your console for 3rd party and its exclusives, Ps4 exclusives will still look great on the regular PS4, and either get a switch eventually or right away for the mobility/ninty games.

OP you are not into Nintendo games, Zelda would have sold you by now just upgrade you XBOX and don't look back. Nintendo is killing it right now so it is telling that you have not gotten a Switch if nothing has moved you.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Not sure if serious, but the Switch line up has an oasis compared to other Nintendo launches. BUT, us fans know the big D is coming, it's just a matter of when.

If you were a Wii U owner the Switch's first two months were technically droughts, as you could play both Zelda and Mario Kart 8 on the hardware you already own.

jdstorm

Banned
There will always be more games to play then time to play them. If you like the Xbox brand enough to care about the XoX then probably get one. Plus you will be helping one extra person who really wants a Switch get one this christmas.

For what its worth though i dont see the Switch having game droughts. Nintendo has been pretty consistent in its messaging about avoiding this and even pointed to that being the reason that the Switch was delayed.

To me, it is a pretty easy decision.

Sell stuff:

• Xbox one - $ 150-170
  • 3 or 4 game you will never ever play again - $15-20 each
  • Old Gaming memorabilia just gathering dust -$100

Unless you don't town a lot of gaming stuff you will easily be able to find all of this and sell it so that the X comes out to a decent amount or free.

Then do the same for the Switch or just get it since you got the X for cheap. Hell, you can even try to make it so that you end up paying the price of the X for both an X and a Switch.

Renna Hazel

Normally I'd say Switch but your post makes it sound like you want to get the XBX. Also, if you're not a fan of Nintendo games it's pretty hard for me to recommend the Switch. It's a good place for indies but most of those games will also be on PS4/XBO.

Femto.

Which one has CupHead?

"I don't read OPs"

image.php

ozfunghi

From your phrasing, i'm feeling you really want to buy the XOX, so get that and don't bother us with your insecurity, lol. You know the logical choice would be the Switch, but obviously you are leaning more towards the XOX or you wouldn't be asking.

Switch seems like the obvious choice here - You already have access to the PS4/XB1 libraries. Switch would be the only option that gives you access to new games you can play.

Looks like a no-brainer on my end, but you do you!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Switch.

But it seems like you already know what you want with the Xbox One X.

You'd have a hard time convincing most folks to plunk down $300 plus another $60 just for Mario Kart 8's battle mode and Breath of the Wild's slightly higher resolution.
As if the people who owned a WiiU are the group that would need to be convinced to get the Switch.

And it's not like those people aren't allowed to pick any other titles next to or after Zelda and MK8D... Your scenario doesn't add up lol.

brawly

Get the Xbox. It's where you game most of the time.

Not right now but with the X, sure.

"- I fear the droughts. Main reason why I didn't keep my Wii or U around for long. Indies should solve that though"

-march zelda botw
-april mario kart
-may : street fighters
-jun arms
-july splatoon 2
-august mario + rabbits
-september pokken DX
-october super mario odyssey
-december xenoblade 2

next :
-kirby
-yoshi
-travis strikes again
-metroid prime 4
-pokemon
-retro studio game ?
-super smash bros ?

+ all other games

ok i think it's worth (you can play everywhere decent games, i think it's fantastic), but if you don't care about these games buy the X
If you can in the future, buy both it's two verry different ways to play games ^^

I bolded the ones that I would buy. So yeah, Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey for now but after that, I don't know man. I'd need local friends to come over and would have to buy additional accessoires for Smash, probably even Mario Kart. Which is kinda daunting to me, because they're all on Xbox.

I'd get the Switch. Much better exclusives than Xbox.

The jump from Pro to the X isn't huge. If you truly want the best experience you'll need a PC.

Once you go 60fps you don't go back.

I'm the special snow flake who did just that.

BiggNife

See, if I were in your position, I'd personally get a Switch. But reading your OP, it honestly sounds like you'd be happier with an XOX because high graphical fidelity obviously means a lot to you and you're not super invested in Nintendo exclusives. So I'd recommend you get the XOX.

Easiest decision ever. (unless marginally better graphics over the already great pro is worth hundreds of dollars and exclusion from the switch to you I guess)

Switch. You have both an Xbox and a ps4 pro so all those bases are covered. Switch is actually something different.

Renna Hazel

If you were a Wii U owner the Switch's first two months were technically droughts, as you could play both Zelda and Mario Kart 8 on the hardware you already own.

That doesn't make the games not available on Switch. That's where I played Zelda when it launched. If you purchased a Switch at launch and got Zelda on Wii U, that's your own fault.

sinonobu

Banned
I would recommend Switch but it seems like X would be a better fit for you if you don’t really care about Nintendo exclusives that much.

Wamb0wneD

You'd have a hard time convincing most folks to plunk down $300 plus another $60 just for Mario Kart 8's battle mode and Breath of the Wild's slightly higher resolution.

I mean OP considers to plunk down $500 for... better resolution.

I bolded the ones that I would buy. So yeah, Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey for now but after that, I don't know man. I'd need local friends to come over and would have to buy additional accessoires for Smash, probably even Mario Kart. Which is kinda daunting to me, because they're all on Xbox.
Not even Metroid Prime 4? Splatoon 2? If you have the mindset of almost nothing besides Mario and Zelda interesting you then don't go for the Switch. I don't get that mindset but to each their own I guess.

The logical choice is to get a Switch, but you apparently need reassurance for some odd reason.

I don't think your Switch would collect much dust because it's getting lots of indies, and the portability factor will make it desirable in certain instances.

Even if you didn't use your Switch for a long time, you would still have tons of PS4 games to play in the meantime. There's a ridiculous number of games across all platforms right now, and you're really worried about not having stuff to play?

I just don't get it.

brawly

Not even Metroid Prime 4? Splatoon 2? If you have the mindset of almost nothing besides Mario and Zelda interesting you then don't go for the Switch. I don't get that mindset but to each their own I guess.

It's not a mindset. I can't help it if I watch videos of Splatoon 2 and Arms and feel absolutely nothing. There's no footage of MP4 and the name alone doesn't get me excited.

And Kirby looks like yet another Kirby and Yoshi looks like yet another Yoshi. Nothing wrong with that, but those certainly don't make me feel like I'm missing out on anything.

The logical choice is to get a Switch, but you apparently need reassurance for some odd reason.

I don't think your Switch would collect much dust because it's getting lots of indies, and the portability factor will make it desirable in certain instances.

Even if you didn't use your Switch for a long time, you would still have tons of PS4 games to play in the meantime. There's a ridiculous number of games across all platforms right now, and you're really worried about not having stuff to play?

I just don't get it.

I have this tendency to get rid of things that don't get enough use. I know it's weird but I can't help it.

As always, buying a Nintendo console comes down to how much you actually care about playing Nintendo games and the Switch has the added benefit of portability. If you're not really that interested in Nintendo games, there is zero reason to purchase a Switch.

I love Nintendo games so if I were in your situation, I would buy a Switch(I own one now). Reading your post though makes me lean towards advising you to trade in your OG XB1 and buy an X. Nothing wrong with that either. It'll have the best looking multiplats on console for the foreseeable future.

Justinh

OP you are not into Nintendo games, Zelda would have sold you by now just upgrade you XBOX and don't look back. Nintendo is killing it right now so it is telling that you have not gotten a Switch if nothing has moved you.
This is along the lines I'm feeling. I'd say get the console you'd actually use more, and I think if OP was into Nintendo games, then he wouldn't have even asked the question in the first place because of the already released, outstanding Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey which is coming out very soon.

I wanna say get the platform you don't already own, but if OP would use the X more than the Switch (which... I'm not positive but it sounds that way to me), I'd say get the X now, and then the Switch later on.

edit: yeah... pretty much what the guy above me said lol

Honestly it sounds like the thought only owning a Pro and watching another DF Pro vs X video in which the Pro comes off second best is a more unbearable thought to you than missing out on playing BoTW and Mario Odyssey this holiday season so just get the X. The bigger question is why do u even want us to convince you to make a decision you clearly don’t want to make?

AzaK

You'll be able to play all the games on your current XO so it seems like a no brainer to me. Unless you really need the newest and shiniest.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Get the Boner X

You're already writing it from a position of trying to convince us of that.

Go for that even if all things being equal I'd say Switch.

It's your purchase so don't feel you need to convince GAF. Follow your heart!

brawly

Honestly it sounds like the thought only owning a Pro and watching another DF Pro vs X video in which the Pro comes off second best is a more unbearable thought to you than missing out on playing BoTW and Mario Odyssey this holiday season so just get the X. The bigger question is why do u even want us to convince you to make a decision you clearly don't want to make?

If I hadn't had the Switch in an online basket a dozen times I wouldn't have made this thread.

I'd play Mario and Zelda in a heartbeat, but again, I like to make my purchases with the longterm in mind.

Wamb0wneD

It's not a mindset. I can't help it if I watch videos of Splatoon 2 and Arms and feel absolutely nothing. There's no footage of MP4 and the name alone doesn't get me excited.

That's because those games are purely gameplay focused. I didn't think I would enjoy Splatoon all that much, played at a friend for 2 hours and had a real blast. You can't judge these games without a controller in your hands imo.

It has always been the case that games not focused on graphics or story aren't as marketable. You should at least give them a chance if there is a free weekend or something, if you get a Switch that is.

Stick with the Switch. Wait for X1X to prove itself. You might even get if for cheap or with a bundle. You have to keep in mind, Pro patches are pretty weak and sometimes we might not even get one (and PS4 is market leader) . We have no idea how most of third party will support X1X patches. I would wait and see before jumping the gun.

I guess your dilemma comes down to extra bit of horsepower that you're not getting with Xbox1 & PS4Pro vs Indies and Nintendo exclusives on a hybrid platform.

I (like most people I'd imagine) will say grab a Switch since you have an Xbox and a Pro. You have your 3rd parties covered. If you're that much of a power fan, just save up and build a PC to scratch that itch as no console is gonna adequately cover your basis there.

I don't own a Switch and I don't plan to any time soon. The big + on the 'X' list is the "timed exclusives", but there aren't actually any exclusives, "timed" or otherwise on the X, because they are all coming to the 'S' as well, and since you already own that and have some money burning a hole in your pocket, just get a Switch.

ozfunghi

I just made a comment half an hour ago. And after reading some more of your posts, it couldn't be any more clear: get the Xbox, it's what you really want. You keep resisting the most obvious arguments favoring the Switch. It's ok, you don't need anybody 's approval. It's not because 99% of replies is telling you to get a Switch, that you have to get a Switch if it's not what you want. Maybe you should read your own comments in this topic again, and you'll see it's the xbox you really want.

Top Bottom