• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Time with Bill Maher : Maajid Nawaz Interview

I dislike that sentiment. It's wrong regardless of whether it's hard to prove or rarely practiced. It's wrong despite the fact some say it's 'no longer needed'. The fact that it was ever needed is a problem
You're not here for discussion then, only to bash religions. There are 1.5 billion Muslims out there, and like it or not they follow the scripture. The best bet for you if you want a liberalized society is to back positions from Scholars within the Islamic community who say Hadd punishments are impossible and/or no longer needed, rather than just putting the religion on blast 24/7 or supporting charlatans like Maajid. Lord knows we have enough of that already.

So it's not about being moderate. I think it's highly detrimental for the discussion at hand to mix in the same pot "accept islamic gay marriage" and "ISIS". To say that a muslim/christian/jew wedding is between a man and a woman is not an extremist view. You can call it conservative or traditional but i don't think it's amount to hate speech.

Take somebody like Yasir Qadhi, he actively call US muslims to support gay marriage, but he still hold conservative views. It's like progressives with hijabs. I don't care if somebody don't like hijab, the most important point for me is that they agree to fight for every right of hijabi women to be recognized and respected in our societies. It's what make us political ally, not that they adhere to my creed or moral conceptions. The same goes for interfaith dialogue. I don't have to say that Judaism or Christianity is true as Islam to respect them and have a fruitful relationship with them. The sames goes for atheists. I don't need to say "maybe you're right, maybe there is no God" to respect them and treat them as equals.

One thing is to teach to respect everybody and not harming anyone in anyways, another thing is to change to religion to whatever modern progressist want it to become. The most important thing is that you want me to have my rights and i want you to have yours.

However, to show you that i'm not attacking Maajid because of his positions, i can add that some muslim thinker like Khaled Abu Fadl is supporting muslim gay marriage and i have nothing to say but praise about him, even if may disagree with him on several issue. I think he is sincere and academically sound.

I agree with the last part. There should be no confusion. The role of the muslim "reformist" is to clear the confusion on those issues. However , the vast majority of western muslim reject them instinctively, for being contradictory with God's Mercy.

Conservative viewpoints aren't extremist, but I feel like they can lay the groundwork for bigotry and exclusion. There are many examples of this around the world and from different religions so I do want to get rid of those. Telling a gay muslim that they are sinning and will go to Hell if they don't stop being gay and repent is disgusting.

If Christianity can work with people believing some parts of scripture and ignoring others then it should happen with Islam as well. I'd want somebody who reads an adultery/homosexual acts punishment scripture to automatically say this is wrong rather than a lecture about how certain scholars think differently and that they think one makes 'legal sense'.

I really dislike the discussion around the hijab. I don't like anything in religion to be considered an obligation especially something trivial like covering hair. So many islamophobes and atheists jump on this issue when it sounds more like hate. This might just be cultural explanations, but I find it revolting that women should cover up so they don't tempt men. I want to defend their right to wear it and define it for themselves as cultural indentifier or empowerment, but those sort of primitive ideas about women tempting men or it being an religious obligation I would strongly push back against.

You're not here for discussion then, only to bash religions. There are 1.5 billion Muslims out there, and like it or not they follow the scripture. The best bet for you if you want a liberalized society is to back positions from Scholars within the Islamic community who say Hadd punishments are impossible and/or no longer needed, rather than just putting the religion on blast 24/7 or supporting charlatans like Maajid. Lord knows we have enough of that already.

I want to support people like Maajid who say these punishments are categorically wrong and that they would ever be allowed in some kind of ideal Islamic state. Christianity can work by just ignoring certain pieces of scripture and the same should be true of Islam. It's ultra-orthodox people who say that there's only one way to follow scripture and I would champion anybody who's for more tolerance and acceptance because they believe in those ideals rather than it just making 'legal sense'.

I really dislike the discussion around the hijab. I don't like anything in religion to be considered an obligation especially something trivial like covering hair.
So many islamophobes and atheists jump on this issue when it sounds more like hate. This might just be cultural explanations, but I find it revolting that women should cover up so they don't tempt men. I want to defend their right to wear it and define it for themselves as cultural indentifier or empowerment, but those sort of primitive ideas about women tempting men or it being an religious obligation I would strongly push back against.

I suggest you to found your own religion. Religion is not about "I like, i don't like" it's about accepting authority from other than yourself. If you see only the external aspect of religions, the effects, you'll be always unable to understand it. I don't follow religion because i like the rules but i try follow the rules because i love God. It's about obedience, so if i like all the rules, where is the obedience ? Also anybody saying to anyone he will go in Hell for something should repent since even the Prophet ﷺ have no autonomous authority to send people in hell or in heaven. In Islamic doctrine, nobody deserve paradise, it's only by God's grace that we can be saved. Also, everybody can be forgiven.

And also, hijab is not about men temptation. We have an hadith where our Prophet ﷺ said to his wife to keep her hijab in presence of a blind man because "if he can't see you, you can see him".

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
That stoning would ever be acceptable, at any time, with any level of proof, is morally reprehensible. I hope that you can come to understand that isn't an attack on your religion, but a blanket humanitarian judgment. I don't think so lowly of muslims to think they must be literalists or otherwise accept morally reprehensible views once shared by their forefathers.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think she's talking about people like this. Who do present themselves as "moderate Muslims" and upon closer examination of their views reveal themselves to be Islamists.

Why is she wrong to think this is a problem?

She does a poor job separating them in any case. I can see how it could be read the way you explained.
Being careful to not lump in groups of people, if you do you need to, clearly explain the differences and define the type of person you are referring to. You don't want to ostracize those who are not extremely dogmatic and litteralist.
I believe one of the reasons for increased acceptance of Gay people is exposure. If you isolate reasonable people, you won't befriend them or get any cooperation.

Don't see why some of you guys are giving Ayaan Hirsi Ali a pass, lady's the definition of an Islamophobic bigot. This isn't even going into her lying about her past, and being a massive hypocrite who is also the definition of "fuck you, got mine".

And no, being an atheist doesn't mean being an anti-theist, it just means you disbelieve in a god. In fact, it's completely possible to be a religious atheist (as in they adhere to a religion, not that they're zealously anti-theistic).

She does appear to have moderated her positions in recent years. Some people are familiar with her from several years ago and not more recently.

I suggest you to found your own religion. Religion is not about "I like, i don't like" it's about accepting authority from other than yourself. If you see only the external aspect of religions, the effects, you'll be always unable to understand it. I don't follow religion because i like the rules but i try follow the rules because i love God. It's about obedience, so if i like all the rules, where is the obedience ? Also anybody saying to anyone he will go in Hell for something should repent since even the Prophet ﷺ have no autonomous authority to send people in hell or in heaven. In Islamic doctrine, nobody deserve paradise, it's only by God's grace that we can be saved. Also, everybody can be forgiven.

And also, hijab is not about men temptation. We have an hadith where our Prophet ﷺ said to his wife to keep her hijab in presence of a blind man because "if he can't see you, you can see him".

I just don't like the idea of religious obligations for trivial things. It's fine if you want to believe that, but I wouldn't want other people to have to believe in it.

I know that God is the only one who will judge people, but it feels like a way to dismiss the issue. Would you still support your God if you found out on judgement day that gay muslims specifically for the fact that they are gay, are going to Hell?.

I stated that hijabs being about temptation may just be cultural.

Next

You're not here for discussion then, only to bash religions. There are 1.5 billion Muslims out there, and like it or not they follow the scripture.

Sorry but that's just a clear cut case of Islam being in the wrong. Saying he's here to bash religion because he opposes stoning people is a deplorable stance. Islam should be called out on it's bullshit, and you just provided a good example of the kind of people who call Sam Harris etc islamophobic.

The best bet for you if you want a liberalized society is to back positions from Scholars within the Islamic community who say Hadd punishments are impossible and/or no longer needed, rather than just putting the religion on blast 24/7 or supporting charlatans like Maajid. Lord knows we have enough of that already.

Christianity already went through their reformation and turns out ignoring the ugly parts is the way to go. Dunno why you'd expect everyone to throw women and lgbt under the bus for your make believe story.

"I think X is a problem within this religion."
"Well, go found your own religion!"

That doesn't really seem like such a strong argument. If a religion has rules that are up for debate, the answer should not be that you do it anyway because you love your god, but an actual answer to the issue. Otherwise we can just go start waving away a ton of human rights abuses and oppression because you file it under your religion and we can't even start a discussion about it.

finowns

It's not even the atheist community he was specifically speaking about, but his own brand of 'new atheism' which manages to be even less welcoming to women than the larger community. Which is no shocker when he apparently "jokes" about women being less rational. He actually attempted to explain the quote further saying ...

Basically rehashing the gender norm that women are nurturers.

You honestly think Sam Harris is a sexist?

"I think X is a problem within this religion."
"Well, go found your own religion!"

That doesn't really seem like such a strong argument. If a religion has rules that are up for debate, the answer should not be that you do it anyway because you love your god, but an actual answer to the issue. Otherwise we can just go start waving away a ton of human rights abuses and oppression because you file it under your religion and we can't even start a discussion about it.

I agree when we speak about stoning or discriminating against people because their sexual orientation, but then saying "I don't like hijab, i don't like obligation" well it's not the subject.

I think this kind of discussion really shows how the debate on Islam is trapped and toxic: everything from hijab to ISIS can possibly deemed as extremism. Until we don't get our terminology clear, there is no discussion possible. As far as i am concerned, extremism is represented by groups like ISIS or AQ. We can speak about conservatism, but it's another matter. Anybody have the right to be conservative. It dosen't make you a threat to mankind like AQ/ISIS.

I just don't like the idea of religious obligations for trivial things. It's fine if you want to believe that, but I wouldn't want other people to have to believe in it.

I know that God is the only one who will judge people, but it feels like a way to dismiss the issue. Would you still support your God if you found out on judgement day that gay muslims specifically for the fact that they are gay, are going to Hell?.

I stated that hijabs being about temptation may just be cultural.

Ok sorry i didn't read your last statement.

Again, i don't think we're discussion each others taste about that or this. Trivial/Essential are subjective category. Hijab is not a pillar of Islam, it's secondary. You can be a pious woman and don't wear it.

I think that your question about God is really weird. God don't ask for my support, i don't have a saying about His Judgement. I do believe that God is Just and Merciful. So i don't believe he will plight people with a different sexual orientation and then send them to Hellfire for that. I do agree that the question of gay muslim is a very tough one and i don't have a clear answer for that. I know it's highly debated among muslims intellectuals and scholars, but the vast majority of scholars (if we take into consideration the wide spectrum of muslims reformists) follow the position of the catholic church: the tendency is not sinful, acting on it is. It is linked to the medieval muslim conception that sexuality is not defined, that everybody is potentially attracted to the same sex. I do agree that if we accept that sexuality as predefined (as we now understand it in the west), it's a very problematic issue since it's not a matter of choice. I do believe there is a possibility to find a solution for this issue, but i'm not doing to do so or explain further since i'm not a muslim scholar.

I recommend a book called "Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800."

I agree when we speak about stoning or discriminating against people because their sexual orientation, but then saying "I don't like hijab, i don't like obligation" well it's not the subject.

I think this kind of discussion really shows how the debate on Islam is trapped and toxic: everything from hijab to ISIS can possibly deemed as extremism. Until we don't get our terminology clear, there is no discussion possible. As far as i am concerned, extremism is represented by groups like ISIS or AQ. We can speak about conservatism, but it's another matter. Anybody have the right to be conservative. It dosen't make you a threat to mankind like AQ/ISIS.
Those things are the subject when we have countries that force those things upon their citizens in the name of the religion the state uses.

Everyone has the right to be conservative, but not to force that upon others through legal or social pressure, which is the problem. If you want to be obedient to a set of rules, go ahead. The issue is that those set of rules are forced upon others also and that needs changing.

These conservative views are problematic when they have the backing of people in power.

Those things are the subject when we have countries that force those things upon their citizens in the name of the religion the state uses.

Everyone has the right to be conservative, but not to force that upon others through legal or social pressure, which is the problem. If you want to be obedient to a set of rules, go ahead. The issue is that those set of rules are forced upon others also and that needs changing.

So we should speak about hijab being forced by the State, which is only imposed in two country: Saudi Arabia (for muslims) and Iran (for everyone).

I don't have any kind of issue to says it's totally absurd and oppressive. The issue here is not the hijab but it's imposition. For me it's the same as imposing to take it off, like did Ataturk in Turkey and the Pahlavi dynasty in Iran (or France in a lesser extent).

Ok sorry i didn't read your last statement.

Again, i don't think we're discussion each others taste about that or this. Trivial/Essential are subjective category. Hijab is not a pillar of Islam, it's secondary. You can be a pious woman and don't wear it.

I think that your question about God is really weird. God don't ask for my support, i don't have a saying about His Judgement. I do believe that God is Just and Merciful. So i don't believe he will plight people with a different sexual orientation and then send them to Hellfire for that. I do agree that the question of gay muslim is a very tough one and i don't have a clear answer for that. I know it's highly debated among muslims intellectuals and scholars, but the vast majority of scholars (if we take into consideration the wide spectrum of muslims reformists) follow the position of the catholic church: the tendency is not sinful, acting on it is. It is linked to the medieval muslim conception that sexuality is not defined, that everybody is potentially attracted to the same sex. I do agree that if we accept that sexuality as predefined (as we now understand it in the west), it's a very problematic issue since it's not a matter of choice. I do believe there is a possibility to find a solution for this issue, but i'm not doing to do so or explain further since i'm not a muslim scholar.

It's problematic if you have to rely so much on scripture and find interpretations to suit that. If you go in with the idea that there's nothing wrong with being gay and that they should be allowed to have sex with anybody they want, that should require muslims to ignore certain parts of scripture that goes against that. I know muslims tend to think the Qu'ran is infallible, but that viewpoint is not helpful to reform.

Do you not see how leaving this issue of gay people being punished up to the scholars is crazy to a lot of people?. It's why I'd like to see more people like Maajid Nawaz who just says it's wrong.

So we should speak about hijab being forced by the State, which is only imposed in two country: Saudi Arabia (for muslims) and Iran (for everyone).

I don't have any kind of issue to says it's totally absurd and oppressive. The issue here is not the hijab but it's imposition. For me it's the same as imposing to take it off, like did Ataturk in Turkey and the Pahlavi dynasty in Iran (or France in a lesser extent).
I think the social pressure on it is just as important. And changing that means that conservative branches of Islam need to change and reform to something more open and accepting.

Just like with other religions btw, such as the anti abortion and anti gay marriage opinions you see with conservative Christians.

I don't think forbidding it is a solution, but the people need to become more accepting and open, and not let the conservative interpretations lead their lives, or use that to judge others. But those are the ways a lot of people are taught and grow up with still.

It's problematic if you have to rely so much on scripture and find interpretations to suit that. If you go in with the idea that there's nothing wrong with being gay and that they should be allowed to have sex with anybody they want, that should require muslims to ignore certain parts of scripture that goes against that. I know muslims tend to think the Qu'ran is infallible, but that viewpoint is not helpful to reform.

Do you not see how leaving this issue of gay people being punished up to the scholars is crazy to a lot of people?. It's why I'd like to see more people like Maajid Nawaz who just says it's wrong.

Nobody is allowed to have sex with anybody you want. There is a lot of regulation. A straight man cannot have sex with a woman out of wedding (in the hanafi school, the punishment for heterosexual sex out of wedlock is way harsher than the punishment for homosexual sex). You cannot have sex with somebody blood related. You cannot marry somebody who is not christian/jewish/muslim. I won't go further about homosexuality in Islam since i'm constantly accused to derail thread.

Shari'a is like a path. It's like a code of conduct. You are free to follow it or not. But you shouldn't change it except for valid reason. It's why we rely on scholars. Reasons like "I feel that it should be different", "most of people today think that..."are not valid.

The subject of what would happens to homosexuals in the hereafter is totally theoretical and don't make any sense islamically. It's not a matters that scholars can resolve. I was speaking about muslims gays, if they could one day marry islamically and be recognize by the community as a valid way to form a family. This can be solved by muslims scholars only. Like in judaism, you have very progressive reformist rabbi who accept it and celebrate it and the orthodox who don't. I think that Islam will follow the same trend in the West, it will follow a divide between reformist and orthodox. It's already the case in a way. Islam is closer to judaism than christianity in its religious structure.

I think the social pressure on it is just as important. And changing that means that conservative branches of Islam need to change and reform to something more open and accepting.

Just like with other religions btw, such as the anti abortion and anti gay marriage opinions you see with conservative Christians.

I don't think forbidding it is a solution, but the people need to become more accepting and open, and not let the conservative interpretations lead their lives, or use that to judge others. But those are the ways a lot of people are taught and grow up with still.

Social pressure exist on anything. I dress accordingly to social pressure, i'm pretty sure you do also. We just accept it as our own values. If i was truly free, i'll be wearing feathers.

We cannot really make a special issue around hijab. The vast majority of muslim women who wear it feel it's their choice and linked to their faith. Maybe it's not, maybe it's just alienation. There is no way to give a definitive answer on that without throwing everyone agency into the bin.

It's also exist in both way, like in Egypt where wearing the hijab is perceived as backward and can be an impediment to find work.

Nobody is allowed to have sex with anybody you want. There is a lot of regulation. A straight man cannot have sex with a woman out of wedding (in the hanafi school, the punishment for heterosexual sex out of wedlock is way harsher than the punishment for homosexual sex). You cannot have sex with somebody blood related. You cannot marry somebody who is not christian/jewish/muslim.

Shari'a is like a path. It's like a code of conduct. You are free to follow it or not. But you shouldn't change it except for valid reason. It's why we rely on scholars. Reasons like "I feel that it should be different", "most of people today think that..."are not valid.

The subject of what would happens to homosexuals in the hereafter is totally theoretical and don't make any sense islamically. It's not a matters that scholars can resolve. I was speaking about muslims gays, if they could one day marry islamically and be recognize by the community as a valid way to form a family. This can be solved by muslims scholars only. Like in judaism, you have very progressive reformist rabbi who accept it and celebrate it and the orthodox who don't. I think that Islam will follow the same trend in the West, it will follow a divide between reformist and orthodox. It's already the case in a way. Islam is closer to judaism than christianity in its religious structure.

The valid reason is that gay individuals are people too. They deserve the same rights as everyone else and they should be able to live happy lives. If you don't think that's valid then you are a bigot.

Muslims will only accept gay people in their community if other muslims actually come out and express their support for them. Leaving it up to a bunch of scholars will just drag this issue along for who knows how long. Saying that you will let it eventually resolve itself so people don't have to do anything, is basically saying you don't care.

Social pressure exist on anything. I dress accordingly to social pressure, i'm pretty sure you do also. We just accept it as our own values. If i was truly free, i'll be wearing feathers.

We cannot really make a special issue around hijab. The vast majority of muslim women who wear it feel it's their choice and linked to their faith. Maybe it's not, maybe it's just alienation. There is no way to give a definitive answer on that without throwing everyone agency into the bin.

It's also exist in both way, like in Egypt where wearing the hijab is perceived as backward and can be an impediment to find work.
Then do you agree that conservatism within Islam - or any religion really - should preferably change so people are able to make those choices with as little pressure from their country, community or family as possible? Because that is the problem I think, that we see a lot of conservative ideas within Islam, that are not changing at the pace we would like, and when trying to discuss this it is too easily seen as an attack on Muslims and as islamophobia. While we do see the dangers when those conservatist ideas gain more power, for example now in Turkey and Indonesia.

The valid reason is that gay individuals are people too. They deserve the same rights as everyone else and they should be able to live happy lives. If you don't think that's valid then you are a bigot.

Muslims will only accept gay people in their community if other muslims actually come out and express their support for them. Leaving it up to a bunch of scholars will just drag this issue along for who knows how long. Saying that you will let it eventually resolve itself so people don't have to do anything, is basically saying you don't care.

You don't understand. I don't speak about supporting gay people and their rights, i'm speaking about changing the religious rules in order to accept gay marriage as islamically correct. I 100 % support that they "deserve the same rights as everyone else and they should be able to live happy lives". I support civil gay marriage.

I have no problem with accepting gay in muslims communities and many perfectly orthodox scholars have speaking out and call for that.

Then do you agree that conservatism within Islam - or any religion really - should preferably change so people are able to make those choices with as little pressure from their country, community or family as possible? Because that is the problem I think, that we see a lot of conservative ideas within Islam, that are not changing at the pace we would like, and when trying to discuss this it is too easily seen as an attack on Muslims and as islamophobia. While we do see the dangers when those conservatist ideas gain more power, for example now in Turkey and Indonesia.

I don't believe in changing the core moral values but i believe it's not the role of the state to enforce them. Of course, it depend of what you call "conservatism". I don't believe in the conservative stance on women for instance, but i do believe that is it sinful for a muslim to have sexual relation outside marriage. The role of the state is to maintain the peace and social cohesiveness, not piety. I don't think there is something worst than a religious state since it's produce nothing but hypocrisy. I believe a muslim state is a civil state, who treat citizens without regarding their religions or their religious practice.

Azzanadra

I've like Maajid before, so I'l make sure to watch this later.

I don't always agree with the Harris/Nawaz types, but at least they have something interesting to say that is well articulated. I won't be home for a while, but could someone bullet point some of Nawaz's points? One of my problems with Harris is his claims that Islamophobia doesn't exist and this tilts me because I find it hard to believe someone as smart as Harris willfully ignores terrorist attacks like Finsbury park or the post 9/11 hysteria that targeted not only Muslims but brown people in general.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's the difference in your opinion between "anti-Islam" and "Islamophobia"?
One criticizes/opposes an ideology. The other is discrimination against a group of people.

Not exactly rocket science...

Is it bigoted to be anti-Christianity? If not, why not?
No. Opposing Christianity isn't inherently bigoted.

Atheism exists in opposition to religion. If religion wasn't a thing, 'Atheism' wouldn't be a word.
What? No, atheism is just the lack of belief in god. That's it.

religion is as much as choice as who your parents are and what physiology you have when born.
wut

Even under the "right conditions", adultery is nearly impossible to prove. It's burden of proof is so incredibly high that the Judges simply dismissed the cases, and instead the law was used as a deterrence. Even if you saw a man laying on top of a woman (or vice versa), it's not considered evidence. Even if you see a woman get pregnant while her husband is away for years, it's not considered evidence. It's so difficult to prove that records indicate that Ottoman Empire in it's nearly 500 year rule carried out only one instance of stoning, and that too had a checkered history to it. The Shariah principle is to maximize leniency when it comes to Hadd punishments (hand cutting for major theft, stoning for adultery, etc).

Either way, many scholars have argued, using Islamic guidance itself, that Hadd punishments are no longer needed in society. The reasoning is completely within Islamic thought, and completely legitimate.

Read this article on Islamic jurispudence regarding Hadd punishments, and a brief history of how it was actually practiced in history by Islamic Caliphates.
Interesting that your response to this question is to handwave it with, "oh, it's hard to prove anyway". Instead of, you know, "no, stoning for adultery, even if 100% proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, is 100% wrong and I don't believe in it one bit and no one with any sense of decency or moral compass should believe in it".

Interesting, but also depressing.

are you sure? I mean, you've got me completely convinced of the opposite at this point.

Based on the 26 hours of podcast that I've heard I was under the impression that he was, if anything, a big lefty. Going off the Reddit for Martyrmade it seems quite a few people have been caught out like me. I don't twitter or facebook so that's all I had to go off really.

I don't believe in changing the core moral values but i believe it's not the role of the state to enforce them. Of course, it depend of what you call "conservatism". I don't believe in the conservative stance on women for instance, but i do believe that is it sinful for a muslim to have sexual relation outside marriage. The role of the state is to maintain the peace and social cohesiveness, not piety. I don't think there is something worst than a religious state since it's produce nothing but hypocrisy. I believe a muslim state is a civil state, who treat citizens without regarding their religions or their religious practice.
But what if those moral values are in conflict with human rights and leading to those people thinking they are better then others and wanting to oppress them?

The type of conservatism we talk about thinks being gay is wrong, that women do not have the full same rights as men, that believing in a different faith is wrong. If those are the core moral values of some people, they definitely need to change. Otherwise you are just hiding behind a religion to excuse things like discrimination and sexism.

thefil

My basic summary of the Nawaz/Harris/Rubin perspective on Islam (I'm sure they'd disagree to some extent with each other):

1) The majority of Muslims believe in enforcing Islamic "law" (as interpreted from texts and disputed within the community) to some degree or another. Whether it be prosecuting depictions of the prophet, or killing people who leave the faith, is a matter of degrees. These are the Muslims that are generally referred to as "Islamists". The statistic I see most often for this are the Pew research polls.

2) Islamic law as commonly practiced among Islamists is regressive towards woman, homosexuals, and individual liberty (for example, towards leaving the religion).

3) In an over-reaction to the unjust islamophobia post-911, the Left no longer acknowledges the regressive nature of Islamists and this enables oppression.

4) ISIS and other jihadist terror is not a political phenomenon masquerading as religious fundamentalism, but religious fundamentalism taking advantage of political instability. You cannot divorce the terrorism from the religious ideals.

5) The reaction to Islam should be both to support progressive/reformist voices within the faith and to, potentially, engage in warfare when there are clear human rights violations.

I've pretty much picked all this up in the last few months. Most of it relies on the fact (which you can dispute) that Islamists make up the majority of Muslims in the world.

Anyways, those are the ideas AFAIK divorced from the personalities.

Thought I would share this link as it seems relevant to this thread libral mosque stays open despite fatwa from Egypt

As someone who considers themselves as liberal, I find it hard to ignore certain parts of the Muslim faith. Segregation of sexes during prayer time being one of them. When someone tries to do something good or different to bring the faith up to a modern standard they have to get security and are subject to death threats?? This is not right

BajiBoxer

Banned

From what I've seen of the Quran passages regarding the dress code it is all about temptation, with rules in place supposedly aliviating being tempted and tempting others.

PSlayer

Maher has only spoken out about THIS problem. Only once or twice did he speak about Jewish extremism and then it was mostly about "Silly Sabbath rules". ANd that was in Ridiculous. It would suit him if he also dared to go after JDL, but he doesn't dare and knows he can't score with his ALt Right fanbase with that.

In what timeline are we where the alt right wouldn't have a blast when a mainstream personality criticize the jews? Also, as people pointed out Bill spent years criticising cristianity.

From what I've seen of the Quran passages regarding the dress code it is all about temptation, with rules in place supposedly aliviating being tempted and tempting others.

Nope, the Quranic verse that speak about temptation (linking it with private parts) gave the order to men to don't gaze at what tempt them.

Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do.
Surah Nur

Then it says the same to women, then the part about hijab is revealed but it's not linked to temptation since even other women are concerned by it:

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

So, adding to that the hadith i mentioned about Aisha and the blind man, it's evident that the issue here is not tempting men.

As someone who considers themselves as liberal, I find it hard to ignore certain parts of the Muslim faith. Segregation of sexes during prayer time being one of them. When someone tries to do something good or different to bring the faith up to a modern standard they have to get security and are subject to death threats?? This is not right

It's not right that they have to face death threat. Conservative prominent muslim speaker face death threat all the time but it get way less mediatized.

There is nothing wrong about separation between men and women during prayer. I don't understand how it have anything to do with "modern standard". Does bathroom are not up to "modern standard" ? It's pretty obvious, giving the different gesture of the muslim prayer, that many women would feel bad to have to prostrate like this in front of a multitude of men. However, in Mecca, men and women pray together.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've like Maajid before, so I'l make sure to watch this later.

I don't always agree with the Harris/Nawaz types, but at least they have something interesting to say that is well articulated. I won't be home for a while, but could someone bullet point some of Nawaz's points? One of my problems with Harris is his claims that Islamophobia doesn't exist and this tilts me because I find it hard to believe someone as smart as Harris willfully ignores terrorist attacks like Finsbury park or the post 9/11 hysteria that targeted not only Muslims but brown people in general.
I have definitely heard Harris describe the problem of "anti-Muslim bigotry", which is an obvious and real problem.

I'm sure he doesn't use the word "islamophobia" because it is considered problematic in many circles. It presumes that being critical of Islam as a doctrine is bigotry, when it's the same as criticizing communism, capitalism, Christianity, Nintendo fanboyism, or what have you. Criticising ideas is what we do in free society.

I have definitely heard Harris describe the problem of "anti-Muslim bigotry", which is an obvious and real problem.

I'm sure he doesn't use the word "islamophobia" because it is considered problematic in many circles. It presumes that being critical of Islam as a doctrine is bigotry, when it's the same as criticizing communism, capitalism, Christianity, Nintendo fanboyism, or what have you. Criticising ideas is what we do in free society.

My secret debate with Sam Harris: A revealing 4-hour dialogue on Islam, racism & free-speech hypocrisy

Also, the infamous defense of Torture by Sam Harris.

Great stuff, really.

Trokil

Banned
Thought I would share this link as it seems relevant to this thread libral mosque stays open despite fatwa from Egypt

They will never ever do that, because any form of criticism is already offensive. 52% of British Muslims saying homosexuality should be illegal, no problem. Honor killings, not a topic. And that is exactly what Bill Maher says and that is why they hate him so much, because he remembers them about that.

They will never ever do that, because any form of criticism is already offensive. 52% of British Muslims saying homosexuality should be illegal, no problem. Honor killings, not a topic. And that is exactly what Bill Maher says and that is why they hate him so much, because he remembers them about that.

So, British Muslim's, including many who come from a Third World nation have the same policy toward homosexual as basically, a majority of British White people did only a few decades ago.

Also, more Muslim's in America support gay marriage than evangelical Christianity, so have you ever considered the issues with Islam in places such as Europe are due to terrible policies as opposed to the inherent terribleness of a religion?

Trokil

Banned
So, British Muslim's, including many who come from a Third World nation have the same policy toward homosexual as basically, a majority of British White people did only a few decades ago.

And that is good in what sense?

Also, more Muslim's in America support gay marriage than evangelical Christianity, so have you ever considered the issues with Islam in places such as Europe are due to terrible policies as opposed to the inherent terribleness of a religion?

Yes, sorry that is true. Outside of Europe, for example in the middle east or Turkey they are way more open to homosexuality.

BocoDragon

Completely unrelated to my post but great, an attempt to smear his character so ,what... all his points are invalidated? I guess that's what we do with these people: Hirsi Ali, Nawaz, and Harris, find some little sliver of a reason to call them all Bad People. And then we don't have to listen to them! Great.

Harris released the audio of the first "secret debate", which reveal Omer Aziz in that "debate" to be uncharitable, mean spirited, and hard headed. Listening is believing: he wasn't interested in an open debate. And you can see why it was "secret", Aziz was painful to listen to and a very poor guest. I wouldn't have released it either. Listen to it yourself if you want https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/the-best-podcast-ever

I'm not interested in defending Harris on torture but it's nothing to blacklist over. He made a philosophically dry argument that I don't care much for, but it's hardly a dismissible position unless you're on a moral crusade.

Just so you know, Harris isn't considered a stigmatized source outside of certain bubbles (some subset of strident LiberalGAF will back you up I'm sure), so trying to paint him as a Bad Person just isn't going to work for people who've actually engaged with his work. I honestly believe it wouldn't work on others who've taken the time to engage with his work either. Fareed Zakaria was on his podcast this week, so he isn't exactly a pariah.

Advocating torture is not a big deal apparently. I don't care if Sam Harris is well respected or not, he is an islamophobe who speak about Islam with a big I as a danger represented by muslims and their "barbaric practice". He just allowed to that by certains sector posing as liberals under the guise of criticism of religion. Antisemitism is not the critic of Judaism, Islamophobia is not the critic of Islam.

Defending the usage of torture is just a moral failure and not a very good point in favor atheist ethics, for those who take him as a champion of atheism (as an ex-atheist, i never recognized him as such).

I know very well the french left and among the biggest defensor of muslim rights, they have absolutely no problem to criticize Islam. I don't consider that to be islamophobia. Everybody have the right to have his opinion about any religion. Now, framing the critic as a civilizational struggle recycling anti-muslims argument is pure islamophobia.

Anybody who think that Islam is a religious who teach secularism and all the ideals of the western left is seriously deluded. I have yet to meet such a person. So Sam Harris, Bill Maher and the likes are just using the "islamophilia of the left" to attack any position in favor of the rights of muslims (to have the same right as anybody else), the opposition against war and the support of the palestinian cause.

Arkeband

Banned
I still can't believe Maher wasn't told to take the stick out of his ass when he condescended about Harry Potter and Voldemort.

BocoDragon

Advocating torture is not a big deal apparently. I don't care if Sam Harris is well respected or not, he is an islamophobe who speak about Islam with a big I as a danger represented by muslims and their "barbaric practice". He just allowed to that by certains sector posing as liberals under the guise of criticism of religion. Antisemitism is not the critic of Judaism, Islamophobia is not the critic of Islam.

Defending the usage of torture is just a moral failure and not a very good point in favor atheist ethics, for those who take him as a champion of atheism (as an ex-atheist, i never recognized him as such).

I know very well the french left and among the biggest defensor of muslim rights, they have absolutely no problem to criticize Islam. I don't consider that to be islamophobia. Everybody have the right to have his opinion about any religion. Now, framing the critic as a civilizational struggle recycling anti-muslims argument is pure islamophobia.

Anybody who think that Islam is a religious who teach secularism and all the ideals of the western left is seriously deluded. I have yet to meet such a person. So Sam Harris, Bill Maher and the likes are just using the "islamophilia of the left" to attack any position in favor of the rights of muslims (to have the same right as anybody else), the opposition against war and the support of the palestinian cause.
I'm sure there is no difference between the type of criticism of Islam that you seem to accept from the "French left" and the types of criticism that Harris makes. The only difference is that Harris is a singular figure and he's been presented as pre-stigmatized "islamophobe/bigot" to you. That's how they dismiss criticism, by demonizing people.

Personally, I reserve the term "islamophobe" for such people as the redneck on the bus who was telling a Muslim girl to get out of Canada a few weeks ago, who I personally walked up to and told to STFU and I escorted the girl off the bus at her stop. Not being friends with, hiring, or peacefully co-existing with Muslims is Islamophobia.

The way this word is used to smear people who are actually looking at Islamic doctrines in a rational way, and asking what they actually amount to in society in a fair and open debate, is a disturbing overreach.

It's not right that they have to face death threat. Conservative prominent muslim speaker face death threat all the time but it get way less mediatized.

There is nothing wrong about separation between men and women during prayer. I don't understand how it have anything to do with "modern standard". Does bathroom are not up to "modern standard" ? It's pretty obvious, giving the different gesture of the muslim prayer, that many women would feel bad to have to prostrate like this in front of a multitude of men. However, in Mecca, men and women pray together.
Again you defend conservative Muslim views here, so I ask you again, should those views not change when they are in clear conflict with modern standards about gender equality, acceptance of gay people and choosing your own faith. Those are things that are not accepted right now among a not insignificant amount of Muslims, as seen in opinion polls and research around the world. We see countries like Turkey and Indonesia becoming more conservative on these topics - with this week the in Turkey we see the Gay Pride again being banned and protesters and journalists arrested.

Can we then not conclude that a change needs to happen among these people in regards to the interpretation of the faith they follow?

You say there is nothing wrong with separating men and women during prayer. And when a mosque does something else and is threatened for it, you wave that away that by saying others get threatened too. You say that when someone disagrees with the interpretation of the faith, they should just start their own religion instead of seeing that maybe the faith can change to modern times. You say that gay Muslims should apparently wait on some scholars updating the religion instead of wanting to give them the same rights as everyone else.

If I would apply the standards you defend here to any other situation, you would not be defending them, yet when it comes to religion you are OK with sexism and discrimination it seems.

You talk in your posts about the rights of Muslims, who have and will always have the same rights as any other citizen., and how islamophobia is a danger to that. Yet when it comes to giving equal rights and promoting that within Islam, you fall silent and defend the current situation where that is clearly not the case for a lot of people. I can only call this hypocrisy.

Completely unrelated to my post but great, an attempt to smear his character so ,what... all his points are invalidated? I guess that's what we do with these people: Hirsi Ali, Nawaz, and Harris, find some little sliver of a reason to call them all Bad People. And then we don't have to listen to them! Great.

Harris released the audio of the first "secret debate", which reveal Omer Aziz in that "debate" to be uncharitable, mean spirited, and hard headed. Listening is believing: he wasn't interested in an open debate. And you can see why it was "secret", Aziz was painful to listen to and a very poor guest. I wouldn't have released it either. Listen to it yourself if you want https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/the-best-podcast-ever

I'm not interested in defending Harris on torture but it's nothing to blacklist over. He made a philosophically dry argument that I don't care much for, but it's hardly a dismissible position unless you're on a moral crusade.

Just so you know, Harris isn't considered a stigmatized source outside of certain bubbles (some subset of strident LiberalGAF will back you up I'm sure), so trying to paint him as a Bad Person just isn't going to work for people who've actually engaged with his work. I honestly believe it wouldn't work on others who've taken the time to engage with his work either. Fareed Zakaria was on his podcast this week, so he isn't exactly a pariah.
Harris is a bigot. He shouldnt be on any shows, but he is, because he unites liberals and conservatives in their hatred of Islam nd suspicion of Muslims. He defends torture and advocates profiling of Muslims, but for you these arent red flags, because he says what you want to hear. You will even defend his censorship, which he finally relented to because of the outcry. The fact is he lost on that point of speech. Saying "I would have done the same" shows complete bias and lack of awareness. You know if Omer did the same, Harris would have hung him dry. Wouldn't you? And if Omer would have done the same, regardless of the merit of Harris' arguments, I'd have gladly thrashed him here, not go bat for him.
I've listened to the debate. No matter what you think of Harris, Omer's inability to participate with even the slightest measure of candor and honesty was embarrassing to say the least.
Can you cite examples of all those points?

televator

I'm sure there is no difference between the type of criticism of Islam that you seem to accept from the "French left" and the types of criticism that Harris makes. The only difference is that Harris is a singular figure and he's been presented as pre-stigmatized "islamophobe/bigot" to you. That's how they dismiss criticism, by demonizing people.

Personally, I reserve the term "islamophobe" for such people as the redneck on the bus who was telling a Muslim girl to get out of Canada a few weeks ago, who I personally walked up to and told to STFU and I escorted the girl off the bus at her stop. Not being friends with, hiring, or peacefully co-existing with Muslims is Islamophobia.

The way this word is used to smear people who are actually looking at Islamic doctrines in a rational way, and asking what they actually amount to in society in a fair and open debate, is a disturbing overreach.

It's not uncommon for a non-bigot to fail to identify a bigot. Especially if it's someone they already respected. I myself used to think highly of Harris, but once he defended profiling not too long after the SB 1070 debacle in Arizona happened (Me also being Mexican born myself) I started to see some cracks in Harris' veneer. Then he went down the rabbit hole with the "regressive left" and anti SJW bullshit.

Since then, my discord only grew to other atheist figureheads and the whole "new atheist movement." Congregation of shitlord good old boys is what they all look like to me now.

thefil

I just recently learned of Harris/Rubin, who I would say have a pretty similar perspective on Islam and free speech which puts them in combat a lot with progressives.

Are there any other interview-type shows people who dislike Harris/Rubin could recommend? Always looking for more viewpoints. I tried out a couple more news-oriented podcasts and found with such regular release it was difficult to keep up.

I think the most glaring problem right now in this whole debate is that muslims need to acknowledge that there is something wrong with the texts.

There is something that needs to be reformed in the texts. The texts are going to be a eternal problem if they are not handled.

It is very hard, very tough, to argue for a peaceful progressive islam if you discuss it with any fundamentalists because they will have Gods literal words on their side.

Your will only have your interpretation of those words. I've tried countless of times, it's impossible. We need reform

cackhyena

I think the most glaring problem right now in this whole debate is that muslims need to acknowledge that there is something wrong with the texts.

There is something that needs to be reformed in the texts. The texts are going to be a eternal problem if they are not handled.

It is very hard, very tough, to argue for a peaceful progressive islam if you discuss it with any fundamentalists because they will have Gods literal words on their side.

Your will only have your interpretation of those words. I've tried countless of times, it's impossible. We need reform
I've already said it earlier, how do you change people's minds when it's been told to them that a deity literally wrote it down? What possible ground do you have to stand on?

Top Bottom