• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lots of salty posts there. Love it.

CV93ZNc.png

lolol

[edit]
Vm4IxEU.png

Asian..BATMAN!?

iMax

One other thing I've noticed from both teaser trailers is a whole new visual look for the show.

New aspect ratio and a more cinematic look. Finally embracing the other BBC dramas!

Is it too much to ask for gaf to not spoil it in the thread title for once, christ.

Over half an hour before I was expecting and would have been nice if the OP was just the bbc tweet and trailer. Notice how they had the common sense in the tweet to not include the name? =_=.

lmao. it's a casting announcement.

RDreamer

Awesome. Looking forward to it and hoping it can feel fresh. Haven't watched this newest season yet, and I'm hoping that's good, too.

Since Chibnall is casting Broadchurch characters as Doctor Who folk, I want the kid who played Danny to be a radical new take on the Master.

jwk94

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

I fully expect anyone who knows the doctor in-universe to mention it. honestly, I wouldn't mind either. It'd be shocking as hell. Just don't dwell onit.

M.Bluth

Very happy they went with her and not that Marshall guy who's been rumored to be the favorite.
Though I was expecting she'd be ginger (or ginger-ish) xD

Bold One

I stopped watching Dr'ho years ago - well, after Matt Smith left.

But I'll be back for Jodie - loved her in ATB. Happy to represent.

Hope John Boyega sends a tweet her way.

Just brain farting now. Jodie is a very slim women. When they do the regeneration for the next doctor after her and if its a man of average or greater build they are gonna have to write around the whole wearing the same clothes post regeneration thing.

That could be fun.

Maddocks

Hopefully the stories will be good and for the love of god, not a bunch of jokes about being female. I think that would kill any and all enjoyment if the doctor all of a sudden became a 13 year old boy discovering boobs every episode.

I never seen anything she has done, but I will watch.

Went to Gallifrey base for the laughs, lots of people enjoy the next doctor, and of course you have some not so great posts by people who swear this is the end of times for the doctor and it will be cancelled after the first episode.

MartyStu

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

The are going to. At least for the first 2 episodes.

Same thing happened to Capaldi and how old he was.

She's wearing his old clothes. The usual "first episode after regeneration" thing. Not her final look I imagine, unless you mean the hair.

The hair looks great I think. Very fitting.

I am more curious about her regular attire. Are they going the missy route or will she have tailored masculine outfits?

linkboy

The people who are having meltdowns are the same group of morons who have a meltdown any time a woman takes a role predominately played by a man, looks at them or even exists.

Aka, self-absorbed assholes who think the world revolves around their gender.

I'm looking forward to the new series. After watching Broadchurch and the great job Jodi did (the entire cast, actually), I'm looking forward to her in the role. She's a fantastic actor and I think she'll do great.

Laieon

Was never able to get into Capaldi's doctor and Matt Smith was very hit and miss for me. Hoping she's as good as David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston were.

El Topo

To be honest, I think CFC Tweet has a point. An Asian as Batman would be great and if WW ever gets to the 13th movie incarnation they could certainly switch things up.

JoeM86

My only concern is the possible social connotations and response should the 14th, or subsequent Doctors be male. It could get messy.

Social attitudes and response how they are right now, I just don't see the return to a male actor after her for a while.

Mariolee

One other thing I've noticed from both teaser trailers is a whole new visual look for the show.

New aspect ratio and a more cinematic look. Finally embracing the other BBC dramas!

I don't know how much we should be looking into the teaser trailers as an indicator for how the new series will be shot.

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow, this is awesome :D I'll definitely start watching again for this!

the meltdowns are incredible and i live for them. every time i read one my skin clears up a little more.

Wiseblade

They got a woman and it's not Olivia Coleman?! THE BEEB CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGH-it's the woman from Attack the Block? I'm okay with this.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be interesting to see what they do with Doctor's gender rather than outwards sex characteristics. Will he necessarily switch to using 'she' - he has a had a male identity for thousands of years, after all. Then again, I'm not sure they'd experiment with something that complicated and potentially controversial.

Sheroking

My only concern is the possible social connotations and response should the 14th, or subsequent Doctors be male. It could get messy.

I don't think so.

At least, if they regress I don't see them facing anywhere near the heat for it as they would have this time out.

iMax

Oh man, the twitter reactions...

These are all false comparisons.

We're talking about a fictional alien space being here that is part of a whole-body cellular regenerative species, not a human being. There are no rules. Anything is possible, and that's why the show is so fantastic.

Top Bottom