• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

MarionCB

Wow, the Doctor Who boards will be on fire. No way I'll look at them again, I left them long ago for toxicity reasons but I remember how the mere suggestion of a female doctor was handled.

Bluth54

I thought she did a decent job in Broadchurch (the only thing I've seen her in) but she never really has made me think Doctor. I'm still very much looking forward to seeing her take on the Doctor.

Why does the key materialise in her hand though? I wonder if this has any storyline implications or just for the reveal. Have we got an air date for the next series?

survivor

Banned
Haven't kept up with any of this so I'm surprised by the announcement. She was great in Broadchurch so this should be good.

Oh, she is the mom from Broadchurch. This is intriguing, so I'll tune in to Doctor Who for the first time in a long time to see how Chibnall handles this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DE3d1gUXUAEXxnr.jpg

Liking the look.

Two thoughts out of this:

- How are the show and critics going to navigate the inevitable trans readings of the Doctor now being female?
- Are we going to avoid having a young male companion because of sexist double standards of the idea of 'predatory older women'?

Is it too much to ask for gaf to not spoil it in the thread title for once, christ.

Over half an hour before I was expecting and would have been nice if the OP was just the bbc tweet and trailer. Notice how they had the common sense in the tweet to not include the name? =_=.

timberger

Shit... didn't see that one coming.

I'm on board to see what they do with this... but I hope they don't feel the need to do the obvious and have a male companion just to balance things out.

DE3d1gUXUAEXxnr.jpg

Liking the look.

I wouldn't bank on this being the way she looks on the show. This looks very thrown together.

Is it too much to ask for gaf to not spoil it in the thread title for once, christ.

Over half an hour before I was expecting and would have been nice if the OP was just the bbc tweet and trailer. Notice how they had the common sense in the tweet to not include the name? =_=.

This isn't a spoiler. It's a casting announcement.

Watch along with the reveal if you were that bothered mate.

Fury451

Banned
UDCHBwm.png

That first reply.

Well Chibnall doesn't have the strong rest record with consistency, but ruined is a bit extreme.

Oh.

Oh I see. He's mad that a woman is playin a fictional alien that can regenerate into anyone. I hope he's ok.

This isn't a spoiler though

liquidtmd

Banned

It's news.

New news, new thread.

It's an announcement. It's not a spoiler.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Casting announcements for who is going to play the lead in a television show is not a spoiler.

Others have pointed out its bits of Capaldis costume.

So it could be in the normal first episode thing where the new doctor is still wearing the old doctors suit.

They haven't shot anything yet. People are reading too much into this. The hood was basically for effect in this case.

Zyae

dude its an announcement lol.

jwk94

- How are the show and critics going to navigate the inevitable trans readings of the Doctor now being female?
- Are we going to avoid having a young male companion because of sexist double standards of the idea of 'predatory older women'?

Not sure what you mean here, but I'd just like a male companion because we don't really get those much. The show's primarily been about female companions and The Doctor's borderline romantic relationships with them. As someone who loved Rory and especially Mickey's time on the Tardis, I'd love it if we got a season with just a male companion. Next could be a female companion, and then after that a mixture.

PowderedToast

as a trans person I doubt most people will genuinely expect a gender dysphoric character other than a few opening lines mentioning it

obin_gam

Great choice!
Looking forward to
1) All the upcoming bitching and complaining about at female doctor
2) the show which will feel new and exciting for the first time since 2011

SpaceWolf

Banned
I absoloutely love this choice.

I have to wonder whether the casting of a female doctor is going to have more of a positive or negative impact on the ratings going forward, though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm actually so happy with this :)

she wasn't my first choice but it just feels so right. it's gonna be a long wait to see capaldi regenerate into her and then for series 11. i need a tardis right about now.

MartyStu

Hmm, I think only people who REALLY want a trans icon would do that I think.

A nonbinary, non-conforming reading makes much more sense. The Doctor is the gender she currently is until she is not.

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

Top Bottom