• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

louiedog

At first I thought Moffat made The Master a woman because they weren't going to let it happen with The Doctor.

Maybe they were just establishing canon so assholes on twitter would have no reasonable place from which to argue anything and just look stupid.

rtcn63

They got a woman and it's not Olivia Coleman?! THE BEEB CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGH-it's the woman from Attack the Block? I'm okay with this.

I'm guessing she's most recognizable as the mom from the original Broadchurch (which Coleman was also in).

Jodie_Whittaker_as_Beth_Latimer.jpg

Vormund

This sounds great.

The doctor should do a surprised self boob grab when he/she/it regenerates.

only slightly joking

adj_noun

These are all false comparisons.

We're talking about a fictional alien space being here that is part of a whole-body cellular regenerative species, not a human being. There are no rules. Anything is possible, and that's why the show is so fantastic.

Yeah. They also set it up as a possibility with both Missy and that one Time Lord they showed changing gender.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
At first I thought Moffat made The Master a woman because they weren't going to let it happen with The Doctor.

Maybe they were just establishing canon so assholes on twitter would have no reasonable place from which to argue anything and just look stupid.

i've always thought that making the master a female was them testing the waters for/warming people up to a female doctor.

I feel like she has the right look somehow. I guess that sounds silly, especially with this series, but she looks Doctor-y.

Now to just catch up on this entire past season I missed because I ditched TV.

Hell, this year's finale had whole bits of dialogue to establish the Doctor may have been female before, and that Timelords really don't give a shit about gender in the way humans do.

The second was my take away from the first time we saw the female master, classic plant and payoff. The next doctor was always going to be a woman, so now it's time to drink the tears.

slider

Only seen her in Broadchurch and, based on that limited exposure, thought she was a bit parochial. But seeing as I don't even watch Dr Who wishing her lots and lots of luck. Know there'll inevitably be haters using phrases like "parochial".

jwk94

This has me so excited. The outfits better be on point. I want to see dresses, suits, short hair, and long hair if she stays for more than a season. I want it all!

I don't watch the show, but my GF is a massive fan. From my understanding, the doctor's role passes on and changes form. So it would make sense for the role to change genders. It wouldn't make sense to keep it as a guy, because the gender literally doesn't matter.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
This has me so excited. The outfits better be on point. I want to see dresses, suits, short hair, and long hair if she stays for more than a season. I want it all!

same! i can't wait to see all the dresses and hair styles she has. they better give her plenty of them.

Sheroking

If nothing else, we learned that when the odds all of the sudden shift to someone two days out.. it's always going to be that person.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Doctor's gender rather than outwards sex characteristics. Will he necessarily switch to using 'she' - he has a had a male identity for thousands of years, after all. Then again, I'm not sure they'd experiment with something that complicated and potentially controversial.

Missy was hopefully a preview as to how Time Lords deal with that sort of thing.

Kinsei

Banned
She's a good choice.

So this is canonically possible in Dr. Who? I am not very exposed to the series. Thats pretty cool.

Yes. There's been instances of Time Lords (the species that The Doctor belongs to) changing race and gender while regenerating in the past.

So this is canonically possible in Dr. Who? I am not very exposed to the series. Thats pretty cool.

Yes. We haven't had a female one yet, but they've been doing a lot of groundwork to establish this is possible. And it's the sort of show that'll wobble with its canon for the sake of whatever they want to do regardless.

The Master, an evil Time Lord, became a woman (Missy) when that character returned in Series 8. Also the Doctor shot a Time Lord general and he went from wrinkly old guy to black woman.

My only concern is the possible social connotations and response should the 14th, or subsequent Doctors be male. It could get messy.

Social attitudes and response how they are right now, I just don't see the return to a male actor after her for a while.

Now that we broke the boundaries I would like next one to be a woman also, to see another female doctor take, and then a man to change a little bit again.
Maybe a non white man/woman would be cool in the future also

jwk94

same! i can't wait to see all the dresses and hair styles she has. they better give her plenty of them.

Yep! If you're gonna go with a female doctor, don't hold back. Now if we could get a male companion, I'd probably fall out of my chair.

If I remember correctly a few women where in the short list for 12 but they went with Capaldi and TBH I cant blame them. You dont get a actor of that caliber, who was also a life long fan often so yeah.

But Moffat was making it clear as day during the Capaldi run that Timelords can regenerate into different genders with the Master and that one timelord during Hell Bent.

If Moffat's crusty ass stuck around longer I could have seen 13 still being a women. It seemed increasingly the direction the BBC wanted to go.

jwk94

Yes. We haven't had a female one yet, but they've been doing a lot of groundwork to establish this is possible. And it's the sort of show that'll wobble with its canon for the sake of whatever they want to do regardless.

There was that time Mr. Bean regenerated into a woman =P

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yep! If you're gonna go with a female doctor, don't hold back. Now if we could get a male companion, I'd probably fall out of my chair.

i was wondering how they'd go about that. we've always got young females. apart from the odd males here and there such as jack, rory, danny, nardole.

we need a full time male companion now :)

rSpooky

I would lie if I said I was not disappointed in the direction. Not that I have a valid reason beyond it has always been this way. It just feels little forced to me. That said I was not liking the Capaldi series much anyway so perhaps the writing will pick up . I will give it a shot. My daughters are happy at least. lol

Top Bottom