• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Time with Bill Maher : Maajid Nawaz Interview

Zampano

I know Hirsi Ali from when she still lived in the Netherlands, firstly she lied a lot about her past. She says it's because of being afraid of her ex, I'd say it's also partly to make her past more dramatic than it really is. Changed parties and got a parliamentary seat as a gift. Made a movie and worked together with Muslim hater Theo van Gogh (really the only migrants working with him all ended up being far right afaik). Just read her wiki page.

I don't think she is evil but rather that she is useless. Just another talker not a changer.

To write off a man who was murdered in the street by Jihadists as a "Muslim hater" for the sole purpose of smearing Ali is pretty disgusting. Disagree with his views but he was a human with a family, friends and a legacy of work behind him. He was killed for his words and nearly decapitated in the street. A note threatening Ali was pinned to his body with a knife. A memorial to him and free speech stands in Holland.

Funny how you omit that.

This is disappointing

rula1rurj.png

She was a great guest and I was wondering why she hadn't been on since 2014. That was the time they got into over his commencement speech at Berkeley. And in that episode she even brought up that Muslim's are underrepresented in the media and he pointed out that she was there and he has Reza on all the time, but neither of them have been back on his show since 2014.

Jumeira

Banned
If any passersby read this and want a rebuttal watch that Rubin interview I posted above and decide for yourself if Ayaan is no better than Robinson and Wilders. Jeeez. This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw12EEamFBc or the one above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJuHWTZqRg&t. Of course getting people's attention span to actually watch a 1 hour long video or read a book these days is ever harder. It's much easier to just retweet 140 characters about how someone is "Tommy Robinson". Calling Ayaan Robinson is like calling Maajid an Uncle Tom. All flair no substance.

A lot of this reminds me of what the Christian fundamentalists used to do in the 90's and 2000's when it wasn't about debating/rebutting criticism of their doctrine/politics/beliefs but just using smears/attempts to assassinate one's character to the highest degree. Add in threats to one's safety these days too. It was a mixed bag back then getting bystanders to pile on and just believe anything, but it appears to be much easier to do that these days. As above all you need to do is tweet someone is an extremist and people mindlessly believe you without doing any homework. Tactics are getting smarter too, if it's not calling Ayaan directly an extremist it's the guilt by association ~ Call her Tommy Robinson instead, or say "she appeared on Bill Maher so she must be a racist". Again, all flair no substance. I urge people to actually do homework rather than just let other people think for them.

0 problem with people not being happy their faith may appear to be being criticised, and wanting to argue back, but I do find it incredibly tasteless to see some of the levels of argument arise to things like what I bolded above. It's intellectually dishonest and it disrupts a free societies ability to challenge beliefs. Leave serious labels and accusations for when they are justified.

I know of her background and her experience, many muslims from that part of the world have endured the same but are sensible to distinguish what is extremism and religion. She's distrusted by muslims and promotes ideas like war with islam, muslims are death cults and anyone that follows islam are inherently violent, yet most muslims see Finsbury park mosque imam as a representation of a modern muslim and Islam. Its people like him who are doing good for Muslims, have the ear of young muslims and should be supported. Imams/Leaders like that are impacting muslim lives and so has influence. Unless Ayaan reframes her ideas and be more like Maajid who does openly recognise the good in Islam and separates muslims from extremists shes simply appealing to a hateful audience, she's seen as a extremist by muslims, no better then Hopkins/Anjem/Robinson, sorry if that doesn't sit well with you. I do hold her partly responsible for anti-muslim violence, her exaggerated claims is hurting muslims so fuck her.

This is disappointing

rula1rurj.png

She was a great guest and I was wondering why she hadn't been on since 2014. That was the time they got into over his commencement speech at Berkeley. And in that episode she even brought up that Muslim's are underrepresented in the media and he pointed out that she was there and he has Reza on all the time, but neither of them have been back on his show since 2014.

Thanks for this, i'll search for the episode!

This is disappointing

rula1rurj.png

And he'll bring Milo, someone who is bigoted against Muslims, back on. Damn it's all just too transparent.

To write off a man who was murdered in the street by Jihadists as a "Muslim hater" for the sole purpose of smearing Ali is pretty disgusting. Disagree with his views but he was a human with a family, friends and a legacy of work behind him. He was killed for his words and nearly decapitated in the street. A note threatening Ali was pinned to his body with a knife. A memorial to him and free speech stands in Holland.

Funny how you omit that.

A murdered bigot is still a bigot

Audioboxer

I know of her background and her experience, many muslims from that part of the world have endured the same but are sensible to distinguish what is extremism and religion. She's distrusted by muslims and promotes ideas like war with islam, muslims are death cults and anyone that follows islam are inherently violent, yet most muslims see Finsbury park mosque imam as a representation of a modern muslim and Islam. Its people like him who are doing good for Muslims, have the ear of young muslims and should be supported. Imams/Leaders like that are impacting muslim lives and so has influence. Unless Ayaan reframes her ideas and be more like Maajid who does openly recognise the good in Islam and separates muslims from extremists shes simply appealing to a hateful audience, she's seen as a extremist by muslims, no better then Hopkins/Anjem/Robinson, sorry if that doesn't sit well with you. I do hold her partly responsible for anti-muslim violence, her exaggerated claims is hurting muslims so fuck her.

Thanks for this, i'll search for the episode!

Like the Christian fundamentalists they too can see anyone even 1% in disagreement with them as extremists. It's not hard to throw around labels, it can be hard to backup such labels with substance other than "she's critical of religion and says things that offend me". A big difference between a religious commentator who's been brought up an athiest or led an easy-going religious family life pre-adult and Ayaan is she's been through things many others won't go through. Or those that do go through it routinely have no voice and suffer in silence. Hence why I do routinely see it as always men throwing some of the worst labels possible at her. Many feminists (and yes I know men are feminists too) know there are shades of truth in many things she says and discusses, whether they are religious or not. Even if you disagree with some of her theological talking points, many of her political points are spot on. Very often she is very clear a lot of her criticism is aimed at what is coined political Islam. Those in places of power wanting to rule by force, and worse. Those sympathetic to that get caught in the crossfire too (it's just other people's culture to do FGM/gay killings/jailing heretics and atheists), but that's the same as those sympathetic of Christian LGBT abuses being criticised in years gone by and even now. Leave the Christians alone, God says in the bible man should only be with women! It's just their religion! No, it was by routine and continual critique and debate we've got gay marriage and more.

Asking us to watch The fucking Rubin Report? Come on, man. I'm sure there are better sources you could be linking to.

You can watch whatever you want, but they are good long form interviews. Very little Dave speaking most of it Ayaan. I accept in the modern world there is a vicious inability to listen to an interview unless the interviewer passes through a 100 point checklist, but the videos are there for the purpose of hearing from Ayaan not Dave. I think it's less bothersome to ask passerby's to listen to either one of those interviews than it is have it unchallenged that someone thinks she is literally Tommy Robinson.

MUnited83

For you.
This is disappointing

rula1rurj.png

Hardly a surprise, Bill Maher is a coward, he ain't going to invite people that are not going to join is anti-muslim circlejerk.

Hyams

Hey, Majid, why don't you take a break from undermining the left with this bullshit "regressive left" term. We're all aware of the extremist problem within Islam. We don't need to frame it, hang it on our walls and invite everyone over to see it. The British left are actually doing a great job of helping British Muslims from conservative backgrounds to adopt liberal values.

Jeremy Corbyn has done more work helping young muslim boys and girls integrate into a liberal society in the last month than Majjid Nawaz will do in his entire lifetime. You will only influence minority groups by embracing them, not by highlighting their scars and providing fuel for people on the right.

If there's anyone who is part of a "regressive" group, it's this man. And it's time he started using the word "Islamophobia". Because it's real.

So when Muslim women in the Labour Party wrote to Corbyn asking for help as the men in their community were preventing them for running as councillors, why did he completely ignore them?

Read about the issues they've faced here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35504185

Notice how the Labour Party leadership just completely ignored the issue.

To say that the left (and the Labour Party in the UK in particular) doesn't have an issue with allying itself with regressive causes is objectively wrong. See also: anti-semitism.

Maajids story is crazy. That is why I was fascinated when I heard him speak in interviews. By what he went through, it's hard not to think that his perspective is interesting given the extreme sides he has seen.
But the hate on him comes from all sides, and the attacks remind me of Reza in a way.

I think it's too easy to dismiss everything about a persons arguments and points by purity tests, guilt by associations and so on. Maajid can be wrong on many accounts, but still bring home a good point or naunced perspective even if his conclusion is open to scrutiny. It's a shame that people don't critize the ideas he talks about, but focus entirely on him.

But this is not new. I think we've seen Islam 2.0 reformers throughout the last ten years face the same style of top-down accusations with little actual criticism pushed towards the ideas.

I don't think being critical of aspects in Islam or arabic culture is bigoted or discriminatory. You are free to call out injustice as you see fit. That doesn't mean anything. The key is to not generalize people, make blanket hyperbolic statements about all of islam or all muslims. Specific criticism is needed.

You can watch whatever you want, but they are good long form interviews. Very little Dave speaking most of it Ayaan. I accept in the modern world there is a vicious inability to listen to an interview unless the interviewer passes through a 100 point checklist, but the videos are there for the purpose of hearing from Ayaan not Dave. I think it's less bothersome to ask passerby's to listen to either one of those interviews than it is have it unchallenged that someone thinks she is literally Tommy Robinson.

Yeah, I regret clicking on the link you posted, and I encourage others not to give someone like him any more views. If you want to learn about Ayaan, there are other means of acquiring information. We're living in the modern world, we don't need to resort to people giving airtime to actual bigots.

5222a65e65f7594fb0c7b712c3dba6e8.png

4dff793f9ac6ca1521ddde30dd1bbc43.png

2ad4d9a6be2e0296a5912a4dd4cadea6.png

223e15594843b4f88b4b41f0c123f2d9.png

Condom

Funny how you omit that.
Just because he got unjustly killed by a maniac doesn't mean I have to like or respect him. Weird reasoning.

Jumeira

Banned
Like the Christian fundamentalists they too can see anyone even 1% in disagreement with them as extremists. It's not hard to throw around labels, it can be hard to backup such labels with substance other than "she's critical of religion and says things that offend me". A big difference between a religious commentator who's been brought up an athiest or led an easy-going religious family life pre-adult and Ayaan is she's been through things many others won't go through. Or those that do go through it routinely have no voice and suffer in silence. Hence why I do routinely see it as always men throwing some of the worst labels possible at her. Many feminists (and yes I know men are feminists too) know there are shades of truth in many things she says and discusses, whether they are religious or not. Even if you disagree with some of her theological talking points, many of her political points are spot on.

Yet these are reasonable well rounded people/organisation from within and outside the religion saying hysterical rhetoric isn't valid criticism and isn't doing anyone any good, only harming innocent people. Sorry these arnt fundamentalist.

Audioboxer

Yeah, I regret clicking on the link you posted, and I encourage others not to give someone like him any more views. If you want to learn about Ayaan, there are other means of acquiring information. We're living in the modern world, we don't need to resort to people giving airtime to actual bigots.

The battle of ideas and debate across the world isn't won by youtube views. You do you, but I know many people can listen to interviews and take them for what they are. Dave largely follows in the steps of Larry King who could interview anyone, no matter how much scandal it would cause. There are many people who have been on interview shows I seriously dislike, it doesn't mean I personally cannot listen to some of it and ignore other parts.

What you're saying doesn't even always correlate into fact either. You routinely see people on this very board who say they'll never watch a Maher interview again watching the following weeks Maher show. I'm not actually being critical there, it's human nature to consume, listen and want to hear what can be opposing views. Although I know some probably give themselves 50 lashes that night if they end up watching Maher. It's daft, if you want to listen or watch something, do it. You can control your own destiny and part of that destiny may be challenging yourself or listening to viewpoints you seriously dislike. Without it meaning the second your ears hear something terrible you transform into a goblin. People are way too fundamental around their own ability to consume media at times, and no that does not mean forcing yourself to watch or listen to things you do not want to, it means not having such a dogmatic view of the world. Then again, if you just label everyone you want an extremist it does mean you can just hide from EVERY opposing viewpoint even if it's coming from a genuine source (again, Ayaan is NOT Tommy fucking Robinson or even in his league).

I expect the follow up to this is still going to be around "you're normalizing problematic views". The best short answer I have is since humanity has walked the earth we've had lots of ideas/beliefs all put out across the table and people pick and choose what they want. It's often our duty to try and engage and convince people to pickup ideas based around facts, truth, evidence, humility and compassion. This isn't always possible though, and trying to use force to push people doesn't always work. Neither does trying to use force to eradicate bad ideas. I'm glad the UK has hate speech laws more robust than the USA, but these are largely in place to allow the State to go after those who genuinely incite violence, or direct hate. It's veering back to 90's Christian fundementalism again if simply critiquing the religion, whether via genuine open thought, or down to satire (jokes/drawings/etc) is continually pressured to be viewed as "hate speech". I seriously do not like this continuing trend from some that I will push back against. All of that including satire has been needed to get most of our Western socieities to where they are with separation of Church and state and being able to challenge the dogmatic views of Christianity/Catholocism to let ideas such as gay marriage be debated and become legal. Islam now has to be included in this as it's been a growing religion in many of our countries since the likes of the 90s, and many of the global issues going on in other countries continue to be observed thanks to the internet/MSM. I'm more so talking views on women, homosexuality, child-marriage, penalities for heretics, FGM and so on. The dogmatic issues with political Islam that someone like Ayaan talks out about because of what happend to her. If you do not do any of these things or believe in them the criticism isn't aimed at you, like it wasn't aimed at Christians who supported LGBT rights. Unfortunately whether you like it or not many do practice attrocities in the names of Religion, and as I mentioned earlier others get caught in the cross-hairs of criticism not for doing it themselves but for being apathetic or hand-waving, often because they don't want anyone to be offended. A battle of any group of ideas is always going to cause offence because when people get their core beliefs challenged it's human nature to process that as being/feeling offended. It's just not productive when offence steps in the way of societal progress, because no one is trying to take your personal religious views away (as long as they do not harm/oppress/do anything illegal). I and many others even as athiests will fight tooth and nail for freedom of religion forever and always.

Yet these are reasonable well rounded people/organisation from within and outside the religion saying hysterical rhetoric isn't valid criticism and isn't doing anyone any good, only harming innocent people. Sorry these arnt fundamentalist.

You do not have to agree with every single thing Ayaan or Maajid say. Heck, Christians who came around to gay marriage after years of debate and challenges would still disagree with the majority of what someone like Hitchens said. Precisely because they still hold a faith. Nothing wrong with that, no one sane is asking for people to 1:1 agree with anyone, let alone asking for religious people to all become atheists. That's nonsense and not something that will ever happen. Freedom of religion allows people to BE religious, but to do so without the state enforcing a religious system or political system that favours one religion over another. Largely it's being asked serious debating points, whether theological, political or philosophical at least get allowed to be aired, without people running straight to ad hominem and attempts to silence (either by labelling extremists or worse, threats). Disagreement isn't an attempt to silence, so long as it doesn't take an extremist form itself.

Dude Abides

Banned
Yes.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ists-list-includes-scholars-reformist-muslims

National Review is a respected mainstream conservative publication. Agree or not, but I'm not the only one who's said it.

It's debateable whether that rhetoric is helpful (out of context, it certainly isn't), but the substance of Ayan Hirsi Ali's position is in winning in the marketplace of ideas, not Trump-style legislation against actual Muslim lives.

"An anti-Islam rag thinks the SPLC sucks. If we ignore the terrible things Ali said she's not so terrible!" Surely you don't think this is a serious argument.

I don't understand why people are so opposed to any kind of reformation of Islam or making Muslims, as large and varied as that group is, overall a more tolerant group. Obviously there are plenty of Muslims who are tolerant and just want to live a decent life all over the world. Like Maher was saying the Muslims living in the U.S. are NOT the problem, aside from a handful of radicalized individuals. However, there are a still far too many Muslims who are opposed to the ideas we as liberals defend such as feminism and LGBT rights. Take the 52% of British Muslims who think homosexuality should be illegal. This number is almost certainly greater in countries like Pakistan or Saudi Arabia in addition to the oppression of women and human rights violations. Even if that number was smaller we still need to fight these toxic beliefs like we fight the toxic beliefs of evangelical Christians.

I think the greatest problem many Liberals seem to have is that they believe in Identity Politics and view Muslim as an identity and anyone who criticizes one version of Islams is viewed as criticizing all Muslims. There is a miscommunication going on between liberals and people like Nawaz. Islam is not one thing. There are many different interpretations of Islam. So when Nawaz criticizes the abhorrent aspects of Islam that some Muslims believe in he is not criticizing the tolerant and peaceful Muslims that you are trying to defend. Just because multiple groups of people call themselves Muslims, doesn't mean they share the same beliefs.

Can someone explain what is wrong with the ideas Nawaz and Maher put forward in this interview? In parts of the Muslim world the human rights violations are horrific and the way to stop this is to reform the religion from within in the model of American Muslims. Why is anyone who suggests this immediately called a racist? Obviously violence will solve nothing, nor breeding fear of Muslims like Trump is doing. The Nawaz approach is really the only option in my opinion.

I know talking about Islam spurs peoples emotions, especially in the U.S. but it breaks my heart to see so many liberals just defending the abuse of gays and women that occurs in parts of the Muslim world. I don't think it is intentional but many liberals are so concerned with defending their Muslim friends who are cool as fuck that they don't realize that people like Nawaz and Maher aren't even talking about them, They are talking about an entirely different group of people who also call themselves Muslims. It can be confusing, which is why we need to remain calm and listen to what people are actually saying before we decide they are racist and start hating them,

dakun

This is disappointing

rula1rurj.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlm4o6he74

she just looked bad and tried to take over the show with a bullshit argument.

To say that Bill doesn't invite people that challenge his views is idiotic given how often he argues with his guests. She was just a bad guest. Period.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Please provide me the name of a prominent muslim speaker in the US/UK who have not condemned terrorism or extremism ? I mean someone who really have an influence, not somebody like Anjem Choudhry, far more known in the far-right than in muslims circles.
I mean, that's a low standard. Heck, Erdogan in Turkey, Saudi Arabian leaders, and the Pakistani government condemn terrorism and extremism all the time, then turn around and fund those things.

I'm asking for prominent Muslim speakers that the public should listen to who have similar views to Maajid. So far I've been provided with none. To be honest, I think Maajid is basically smeared to avoid engaging with his ideas, which are utterly reasonable and should be uncontroversial. Basically, that the dominant forms of Islam need serious, deep, positive reform.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So when does he have Bill Cosby on to talk about black people pulling their pants up and how men shouldn't get caught for rape?

She views this group as a problem, saying:

So, still ways to go it seems. But maybe not a lost cause? I don't know if she is still pushing the lie that she called her backstory. She does not use it to bolster her argument in the Op-Ed.

You can read her op-ed here.

I think she's talking about people like this. Who do present themselves as "moderate Muslims" and upon closer examination of their views reveal themselves to be Islamists.

Why is she wrong to think this is a problem?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"This guy lied about his past!"

Says Gaffers while defending religions, which are all factually, without a single doubt, institutionalized reinforcements of lies about the past.

So much wasted energy over made up stories.

But hey "Science fuck yeah!"

Good luck with that. The Left's defensive obsession with Islam and it's backwards views is baffling.

When Ben Affleck was on the show is the perfect example of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60&t=4s

Childish and irrational.

I love how the left is held up as the bogeyman by using an example of Batman. Meanwhile, right wing governments in control of most Western countries continue policies to strengthen and support state actors (like Saudi Arabi and beyond) actually funding terrorism. It's almost as though all the anti-Muslim rhetoric is simply a device to get elected by riling up the rubes.

I love how the left is held up as the bogeyman by using an example of Batman. Meanwhile, right wing governments in control of most Western countries continue policies to strengthen and support state actors (like Saudi Arabi and beyond) actually funding terrorism. It's almost as though all the anti-Muslim rhetoric is simply a device to get elected by ruling up the rubes.
US + UK != Most Western countries, thank you.

cromofo

I love how the left is held up as the bogeyman by using an example of Batman. Meanwhile, right wing governments in control of most Western countries continue policies to strengthen and support state actors (like Saudi Arabi and beyond) actually funding terrorism. It's almost as though all the anti-Muslim rhetoric is simply a device to get elected by riling up the rubes.

Yeah but what about...cmon man

Most of Western countries? Yeah no.

Metrotab

Banned

Can you name any anti-Islam speakers and intellectuals that the left wing doesn't consider a bigot/racist/Islamophobe/...?

US + UK != Most Western countries, thank you.

Show me a conservative western government challenging Saudi Arabia for not letting women drive.

What is childish, irrational and insane is equating the opinion of a millionaire occasionally known as Batman as the speaker and defender of the monolithic 'liberal' response to extremist Islam.

cromofo

What is childish, irrational and insane is equating the opinion of a millionaire occasionally known as Batman as the speaker and defender of the monolithic 'liberal' response to extremist Islam.

No one is doing that. All I'm saying is that he's an example of how a lot of liberals think regarding this issue. People can't have shared opinions now?

Show me a conservative western government challenging Saudi Arabia for not letting women drive.

Show me a progressive / left wing one? Any of them doing sanctions or anything like that for the human rights abuses there?

But most Western countries do not have right wing governments. Or at least not what many see as right wing, because the European right wing is not at all comparable to the US right wing, and even within the EU there are a lot of differences there.

Metrotab

Banned
What's the difference in your opinion between "anti-Islam" and "Islamophobia"?

To me, Islamophobia seems to be a meaningless term used to ascribe bigotry towards intellectuals and public speakers who criticise abhorrent practices in the Islamic religion and Islamist ideology, in order to avoid having to actually engage with the criticisms these speakers produce. Nearly every prominent critic of Islam seems to end up being called islamophobic, usually by left-wing voices, which is why I don't consider that term to hold much weight anymore.

That's why I ask: is there any prominent anti-Islam critic that the left wing doesn't consider an Islamophobe?

emag

Apart from the misleading statistics at the end there and the first half spent complaining about being on the SPLC list, this wasn't nearly as bad as what we've come to expect from Bill. He even briefly mentioned that US Muslims are more liberal than others.

That's why I ask: is there any prominent anti-Islam critic that the left wing doesn't consider an Islamophobe?

Being "anti-Islam" or "anti-Judaism/Jewish" or "anti-Hispanic" is, by definition, bigotry. It's incredibly disingenuous to twist or redefine the common meaning of words to claim otherwise.

There are many prominent and vocal critics of particular practices and interpretations of Islam, both Muslim and non-Muslim, who are not considered Islamophobic (by the left or others) in the least. As a recent example, Johari Abdul-Malik made both local and national news last week relating to FGM. In fact, such vocal criticisms are common among US scholars and imams. But since they're neither radical hatemongers nor celebrities, they're not going to be booked on the late night talk shows or Fox News.

Apart from the misleading statistics at the end there and the first half spent complaining about being on the SPLC list, this wasn't nearly as bad as what we've come to expect from Bill. He even briefly mentioned that US Muslims are more liberal than others.

Being "anti-Islam" or "anti-Judaism/Jewish" or "anti-Hispanic" is, by definition, bigotry. It's incredibly disingenuous to twist or redefine the common meaning of words to claim otherwise.

There are many prominent and vocal critics of particular practices and interpretations of Islam, both Muslim and non-Muslim, who are not considered Islamophobic (by the left or others) in the least. As a recent example, Johari Abdul-Malik made both local and national news last week relating to FGM. In fact, such vocal criticisms are common among US scholars and imams. But since they're neither radical hatemongers nor celebrities, they're not going to be booked on the late night talk shows or Fox News.

saying being against the teachings of islam is equivalent to bigotry is absolute bollocks, frankly

I'm not a bigot because I don't believe in teaching kids that mohammed flew to the moon and back.

Hyams

Is it bigoted to be anti-Christianity? If not, why not?

emag

Is it bigoted to be anti-Christianity? If not, why not?

Yes, of course.

The other examples are more applicable in the US, as minorities are subject to incredible rates of discrimination and hate crimes, and (rightful or not) criticism of particular cultural/religious elements is often a thin veil over alt-reich sensibilities.

Yes, of course.
Is being anti-religious bigotry then, even if you just attack the ideas of that religion and not the people following it?

Do we also extend that idea to political beliefs or other worldviews? Am I a bigot if I disagree with people not believing in evolution, vaccinations and other things like that?

Can you name any anti-Islam speakers and intellectuals that the left wing doesn't consider a bigot/racist/Islamophobe/...?

There are millions of people who criticise Islam. Not all of them are Islamophobes. Unfortunately, there are many anti-Islam speakers that flirt with some form of anti-Muslim bigotry. For some reason, there is a strong correlation between people who specifically target Islam and people who say diet racist shit. I wonder why.

emag

Ah, so you're anti-Atheism. I'm not sure if that makes you a bigot or not.

Not being anti-Atheism and not being anti-Christianity are not mutually exclusive.

Put another way, one can be okay with people practicing religion and also okay with people not practicing religion.

There are millions of people who criticise Islam. Not all of them are Islamophobes. Unfortunately, there are many anti-Islam speakers that flirt with some form of anti-Muslim bigotry. For some reason, there is a strong correlation between people who specifically target Islam and people who say diet racist shit. I wonder why.

Having a rational, unemotional discussion about the nature of Islam is next to impossible thanks to idiots on both extremes and a gaping centre that doesn't have the time or inclination to learn the history and facts related to it.

Even someone like Tom Holland, a historian and world renowned authority on classical and post classical studies, has spent a lot of time fighting accusations that he's a bigot and people who use his writing to justify their own particular racial hatred.

Not being anti-Atheism and not being anti-Christianity are not mutually exclusive.

Put another way, one can be okay with people practicing religion and also okay with people not practicing religion.

Am I a bigot because I disagree with the teachings in Christianity?

One can support someone's right to practice an ideology whilst one also criticises that same ideology.

I agree with this.

Hyams

Put more simply, one can be okay with people practicing religion and also okay with people not practicing religion.

One can also oppose an ideology whilst criticising the same ideology (or parts of the same ideology).

Edit: man, I truly messed that up. Let me try again:

One can support someone's right to practice an ideology whilst one also criticises that same ideology.

SummitAve

Banned
Atheism exists in opposition to religion. If religion wasn't a thing, 'Atheism' wouldn't be a word.

This isn't true at all. Especially the use of opposition, and that somehow spiritual ideas only exist within the structure of a specific religion.

Top Bottom