• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Madness

And how many times have you played Halo 5 versus those campaigns? I can tell you which track is playing for that bit ("Crossed Paths", fyi.)

This reminds me I haven't replayed the campaign through with my surround sound setup though. Have to do that.

If you read my earlier post I stated I played Reach exactly one time back in 2010 and yet still remember every major theme or moment. The music note right as Kat gets hit with the Sniper bullet etc. Again to each his own. Never said others wouldn't remember H5 music more than Reach or ODST, I just can't and I only beat the campaign what, maybe 1.5 years ago.

I go by game only. I couldn't tell you what song it is called for those moments. I mean if you listened to the OST after/before and know what the songs called, of course you'll pick it up more than others at parts. Same reason so many loved the H4 OST by Davidge but it sounded pretty poor in game, no?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i definitely expect a halo 6 teaser (cg trailer) at e3. i also hope 343 continues what they started with the early EARLY halo 5 beta and we get something similar for 6. obviously because i'll be excited as hell to play it as soon as possible but also because it could be a powerful tool to tweak
and fuck up the aiming
before the final game launches.

Haruko

Well this happened at least, despite venue issues

http://pro.eslgaming.com/halo/world...breaking-digital-viewership-for-halo-esports/

The Halo World Championship 2017 Finals by ESL broke digital viewership records across the board. At its height, the broadcast reached over 135,000 concurrent viewers across Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, and Beam. In addition, more than 13 million unique viewers tuned in over the weekend to see competitive Halo played at the highest level across digital platforms. 10.3 million of these unique viewers watched the competition live on Twitter—a first time streaming destination for Halo esports.* These metrics exceeded last year’s tournament and make the Halo World Championship 2017 Finals the most watched digital broadcast in Halo esports history.

CyReN

Halo WC did alright on the viewership figures.

I love watching Halo 5 Pro League and I love playing the game. I really don't want the mechanics to be changed. Altering radar and adjusting weapons is fine.

13 million my ass, they forced a stream on twitter users without their permission.

No word on refunds yet either.

Haruko

13 million my ass, they forced a stream on twitter users without their permission.

No word on refunds yet either.

I got the promoted button to watch on Twitter a few times during the event, but never any forced autoplay. Was that a thing?

Obviously 10.3mil uniques on twitter with a max concurrent of 135k across all platforms means the vast majority of twitter views were very brief. Exposure is good, but I'd be curious to know how many stuck around for at least 30-60 minutes

belushy

Banned
I like it, means Halo reached a lot of people on Twitter. Yes the vast majority probably don't watch esports or don't watch Halo esports but if it made anyone even mildly interested in watching again, I'm cool with.

I do question the peak viewers though, and whether or not twitter viewers should count towards that. I see twitter streaming as more of live advertising, and shouldn't really be counted towards peak viewership imo. If there is a way to distinguish between who stayed and watched on twitter, that is one thing.

CyReN

I got the promoted button to watch on Twitter a few times during the event, but never any forced autoplay. Was that a thing?

Obviously 10.3mil uniques on twitter with a max concurrent of 135k across all platforms means the vast majority of twitter views were very brief. Exposure is good, but I'd be curious to know how many stuck around for at least 30-60 minutes

It was forced on me.

4aaf4c638e443a41f1b316063d3ef204.png

Don't know I think Halo 5 had some memorable tracks:

~Light is Green:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHt0tRnnPBc

~Scavengers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bBbp1haY0

~Advent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXFpFMUbwU

~The Trials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2FVLt5eBdw

~Walk Softly (H4's mantis remix):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrl3uHQ_dj0

~Blue Team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFgGhYu2RxQ

~Osiris Suite, Act 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_qlej-1ew

"Rock and Ice" would've been added too if they kept the OST version the same as the game version.

That still doesnt make them memorable to me. I usually dont need to go on youtube to remember how memorable music was. You either remember it or you dont.

The only truly memorable part of H5's soundtrack to me is this cool guitar part with a chorus effect somewhere in the Osiris suite. I tried really hard to like the H5 OST but I just can't. But I can't hurt listening to it in its entirety again to see if my love for Marty and Mike is irrational or not.

I've been searching for an interview from Marty during the Reach era for a couple of years now. He talked about his theoretical approach behind the music and it was super interesting. I know it's a longshot but does anyone know which interview I'm talking about?

IHaveIce

Banned

343 is such a embarassing shithole.
I was one of the few people on many platforms still defending them, but this PR statement is basically the same dumb spin around like their "14 play and trial" dlc phase for Halo 4.

Flooding the numbers by counting autoplay vids on twitter, having only 1% of all unique viewers as concurrent viewers as peak( because of autoplay)

Frankie's post on the Venue is also disheartening, there was criticism? you listen to fans? Well, how about you listen to one of the most important org owners in console esports, factor mlg in, listen to proplayers like Ninja( who even defended Halo 4 for a long time) but now is fed up with how the HCS is run.

looking at venues for proleague.. lol dreamhack is doing that for you guys.

edit: also choosing reddit as the platform to post, because the mods there would suck every dick of 343 to get them to post there.

jem0208

If the fucking venue gets a gaming side thread then that should get one as well.
I guarantee that it would be 2 pages at max with most people saying that's rubbish compared to CS:GO, Dota etc.

Also how do we know they're including Twitter autoplays as views? We don't.

Also where else should Frankie post that? Reddit has by far the widest reach for the biggest variety of people. Of course they'd post it there.

I agree with a lot of the complaints about how the HCS is run etc. but complaint about pointless shit like that is useless.

Madness

Well we do have 7.9 million esports enthusiast!

-----

Seriously though, stop thinking 13 million people actually watched this.

No kidding. They had to have counted it. I would just click on twitter homepage to login and the stream was playing. Same goes for when you log in. It was autoplay all the time. There is no way in hell 13 million people willingly watched Halo 5 eSports. This is the statement they release after all of this? Damn. Twitch is the best metric. Maybe you can say Beam as well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ninja, spartan, and Saiyan running matchmaking again. Spartan streaming. Ninja too.

I sware, ninja better not leave Vic x again. They are a terrific duo and cam still has it

...and monster joins them.

Cranster

Banned
So we lost the first round of a Firefight match because the last 8 Grunts we needed to kill did not even spawn... How is that possible?

SHAMEFUL that 343/Ms is trying to spin this inflated number for some positive PR. This is from a high up MLG employee on team beyond "Nearly double the uniques of our Csgo major that peaked at 1.67 million peak concurrent and had 47,000,000 hours consumed" Double the uniques yet the max concurrent was less than 1/10th....yeaaaa

Reminds me how they said Halo 5 grossed 400mil for the biggest halo opening ever. Bundling all hardware together and not a single mention of copies sold.

343 is turning into Sean Spicer.

SHAMEFUL that 343/Ms is trying to spin this inflated number for some positive PR. This is from a high up MLG employee on team beyond "Nearly double the uniques of our Csgo major that peaked at 1.67 million peak concurrent and had 47,000,000 hours consumed" Double the uniques yet the max concurrent was less than 1/10th....yeaaaa

Reminds me how they said Halo 5 grossed 400mil for the biggest halo opening ever. Bundling all hardware together and not a single # of copies sold.

343 is turning into Donald Trump

What the fuck is that Donald trump comparison from? Maybe should just calm down. Even with the inflated numbers the peak is what was important and that was decent for how halo is on the decline. It's good for the game to get as most exposure as possible no matter how short.

If you're going to get pissed off at them trying to be a little proud about something maybe should yell at some kids at their sports game and destroy any participation medals they get cause apparently it's turning people to Donald trump.

Edit: nice try with the stealth edit ;)

mo60

So we lost the first round of a Firefight match because the last 8 Grunts we needed to kill did not even spawn... How is that possible?

In the final round of a WFF match once some of the banshees that spawned during that round flew outside of the map so my team in that match couldn't kill them

IHaveIce

Banned
I guarantee that it would be 2 pages at max with most people saying that's rubbish compared to CS:GO, Dota etc.

Also how do we know they're including Twitter autoplays as views? We don't.

Also where else should Frankie post that? Reddit has by far the widest reach for the biggest variety of people. Of course they'd post it there.

I agree with a lot of the complaints about how the HCS is run etc. but complaint about pointless shit like that is useless.
you can't be that dumb jem?
Where he should post it? They should put up an official apology and explanation of what went wrong and how they try to fix it and what changes are made to the HCS staff.

If you think 10 million people watched the hwc by intention but only 1 % of them actually stayed you are kidding yourself.

What does it do for you to try to defend that? Hoping for free reqs? If all proplayers, org owners and even mlg's head are criticising the event and questioning these numbers you may have to realize you are just shilling without reason.

What the fuck is that Donald trump comparison from? Maybe should just calm down. Even with the inflated numbers the peak is what was important and that was decent for how halo is on the decline. It's good for the game to get as most exposure as possible no matter how short.

If you're going to get pissed off at them trying to be a little proud about something maybe should yell at some kids at their sports game and destroy any participation medals they get cause apparently it's turning people to Donald trump.

Edit: nice try with the stealth edit ;)
Actually we are more angry that they feel the need to boast about inflated numbers but the problems are only adressed by 'it will be better, believe'

Also your comparison was just as dumb as the trump one, so congrats

Trup1aya

Honestly guys, you think the numbers are high? They are actually modest when you consider how massive the Twitter platform is and how broad its reach is.

First of all, a decent portion of the total unique viewership is actually coming from twitch. When you see a concurrent viewership of say 30k, it's easy to forget that thousands of viewers are rotating in and out of the stream. So an hour at 30k concurrent could easily mean over 100k unique viewers. Over the course of a 3 day tournament, you'd easily have millions.

Twitter would see the same phenomenon - people rotating in and out of the stream. But if autoplay was counted, concurrent viewership would have been MUCH higher, since people wouldn't rotate out unless they manually closed the ad window or navigate away from their timeline. The fact that Twitter only added about 70k concurrent during the finals tells me that people had to open the window to count.

The large gap between peak and concurrent suggests that over the weekend, a TON of people clicked the ad out of curiosity, and then closed it.

Think about it, that tweet bashing the venue was seen like 1.4 million times, and it wasn't promoted by twitter. Is it really that farfetched that ~10 million people would have clicked on this ad, with it popping up on just about everyone's page?

Obviously this is great news for Twitter streaming. It can quickly broaden ones reach far being beyond what twitch can do. But maintaining a Twitter users interest is going to be much more difficult since the population is less likely to be within the interested niche.

Considering all that, i dont think these numbers are all that impressive to the point id question the veracity.

Im more concerned that we got a esl press release about the numbers and not one about the inadequacy of the in-person experience. They'll talk to their shareholders, but not the people buying their product.

Fuchsdh

Pokemon Go in 2017 lul

I'm still amazed how many people I see in Central Park doing it (you shall know them by their cords attached to battery packs...)

Nothing like how crazy it was last summer, but it's still a noticeable amount. Will probably increase when the temps do.

Honestly guys, you think the numbers are high? They are actually modest when you consider how massive the Twitter platform is and how broad its reach is.

First of all, a decent portion of the total unique viewership is actually coming from twitch. When you see a concurrent viewership of say 30k, it's easy to forget that thousands of viewers are rotating in and out of the stream. So an hour at 30k concurrent could easily mean over 100k unique viewers. Over the course of a 3 day tournament, you'd easily have millions.

Twitter would see the same phenomenon - people rotating in and out of the stream. But if autoplay was counted, concurrent viewership would have been MUCH higher, since people wouldn't rotate out unless they manually closed the ad window or navigate away from their timeline. The fact that Twitter only added about 70k concurrent during the finals tells me that people had to open the window to count.
I dunno if they're counting only opening windows, but I don't think it's served video either. Twitter has to have metrics for "views" the same way Youtube does—I'm sure the numbers are Twitter users who watched >N amount of it, whether that's a minute or two or longer.

Are you sure they didn't spawn? Especially with Jackals I've found that they'll be in some nook or cranny of the map (especially Apex.)

Sordid

It'd be great if I didn't get matched against Onyx players when I've always been Gold and US based players when I'm Scotland. I didn't think it was possible but the matchmaking experience is getting worse for me, the skill ranks were usually pretty close even if the connections were awful.

Trup1aya

I dunno if they're counting only opening windows, but I don't think it's served video either. Twitter has to have metrics for "views" the same way Youtube does—I'm sure the numbers are Twitter users who watched >N amount of it, whether that's a minute or two or longer.

Yeah. I'm just saying that if they were simply counting how many unique users had the popup as skeptics alledge, both the concurrent and unique user totals would have been WAAAAY higher.

I'm not sure exactly what they were logging, but it clearly required, at a minimum, the user to manually interact with the ad window.

It'd be great if I didn't get matched against Onyx players when I've always been Gold and US based players when I'm Scotland. I didn't think it was possible but the matchmaking experience is getting worse for me, the skill ranks were usually pretty close even if the connections were awful.

Yes they are terrible right now, especially in Proving Grounds.

Are you sure they didn't spawn? Especially with Jackals I've found that they'll be in some nook or cranny of the map (especially Apex.)
No, it's a known glitch. We've had rounds before where if you kill the first wave to quickly, it never counts them as dying and never spawns the rest and you have to wait until the end of the round. Also, sometimes they'll jump or otherwise find themselves outside the playable area of the map where you can't kill them. One time I even failed a round because the boss jumped off of the map and it never counted.

TCKaos

I guess its sort of sweet they believe their own lore that the Oathsworn is the actual legendary shotgun and not the Blaze of Glory.

Seriously. A shot from the Blaze of Glory can stop Warthogs at full speed and Ghosts mid-thrust (and repel the ghost long enough to actually destroy it!), it should be the one Kelly has in the next game.

Top Bottom