• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here has quit gaming because of the rise in toxicity?

Because I use to read them for people's viewpoints on articles and the like but lately all everything is the worst of everyone circle jerking over how edgy they are.

Because I'm paying money to keep the system going. I feel like any dollar I put into it means these people are sharing the same eco system with me. I feel like my money indirectly supports their platform and I don't want to anymore.
So you would deny money to all the indie game devs,minorities and POC in the game industry because a few people are assholes?
Makes sense.

LUXURY

There have always been assholes in gaming. And there are plenty of ways to avoid it by playing single player games and muting people that act nasty. There isn't a need to sell off everything you have if you truly love the hobby. Dickheads have always been present in gaming, it's just become more prominent now because it's 2017 and everyone thinks they can stream.

Ronin7th

Neo Member
It's been pretty much covered here, but party chat and single player is my chalice of choice. Don't let shitty people taint what you enjoy.

kinberg

Neo Member
Quit gaming for good due to toxic people and/or community? No!

Quit certain games due to a really crappy and toxic community? Sure!

Most multiplayer games now a days let you turn off text chat and voice chat, which helps an awful lot to avoid toxic behaviour from other players. I also play a lot of sp games which completely negates the negative sides of player to player communication.

Personally I feel like giving up a hobby just because of the fact that people involved in it are shitty is letting the bad apples win. But can't blame you OP! If you feel that it's gone way to far and you just can't take it anymore it sounds like a good solution. Life is way more than just video games, and finding another fulfilling hobby shouldn't be that hard.

Best of luck to you buddy!

Bastos

Play solo or grow a thicker shell.

It was always like this, there was always trash talk and crappy stuff like that. It only affects you if you give any importance to that.

But I understand that not everyone can deal with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but there are no other options in this case, or you play solo or just ignore the dicks.

Freeman76

I wouldnt give up my hobby over it, but the gaming community does really piss me off more and more all the time. As you said, almost every thread you read is people telling everyone how wrong they are, looking for reassurance over some petty opinion or generally dismissing everyones point of view in favour of their own.

I read very few threads nowadays, turn off general chat in MMOs and generally just enjoy games for myself.

Pau

This is why I only played single player and local multiplayer games for most of my life. Only multiplayer game I play is Splatoon where I don't have to hear people chat but even then I see graffiti like "Hitler was right." :/

Not

Banned
This makes total sense. It's a shitshow what kind of people have embraced gaming culture.

I'm still going to play Nintendo games every so often, but damned if I'll ever call myself a "gamer."

I play games by myself and for myself. When I play online I don't chat at all unless it's a game that requires that level of strategy (I don't play those games). As far as the "gaming community", I don't give a fuck about it.

mcarlie

Banned
Most people just play games without in any way being involved in some larger gamer community. I think you spend too much time on forums.

MAX PAYMENT

Playing games online definitely gives you some exposure to the toxicity. But as soon as you involve yourself in the communities and forums it gets really, really bad.

I think GAF is pretty guilty of embarrassing behavior itself. Unfortunately, it just seems to be the nature of the beast.

I play a lot of multiplayer games these days for some reason, but I just don't talk to anyone at all besides using the "Hello!" And "Thanks!" Emotes in Overwatch. You really don't know what kind of Alt Right psycho is behind the screen these days.

kennyamr

Careful of quitting life later because the world also have a good amount of 'toxicity' as well.

If you don't want to play video games anymore just don't play them, simple as that.

If you just don't want to deal with people, play single-player games.

If you don't want to deal with bad comments, then don't read comments on websites.

If you hate people in general, it's time to stop socializing.

You know what you really want to do, no need to do a big deal about it.

The best thing about it is that you can quit gaming or anything and no one will stop you or care, that's the beautify of a free world.

low-G

Because I'm paying money to keep the system going. I feel like any dollar I put into it means these people are sharing the same eco system with me. I feel like my money indirectly supports their platform and I don't want to anymore.

For every asshole there's at least 5, probably more like 10, good people who would 'suffer' from your choice as much as the one asshole.

But if you're going all the way to overthrow capitalism I wish you luck.

DrZeus

It's a certain demo of people who are ruining these commonalities. They need to grow up but that'll never happen.

My suggestion: stop interfacing with gaming message boards and stop playing games online with people you don't know. Games are way more fun when played with existing friends anyway. If that's not an option then just don't play online games for awhile or don't play them with voice chat for awhile. As yesterday proved these issues are WAY further reaching than just games. Some people are just naturally shitheads and I unfortunately don't know what can be done about that. Either way, maybe taking a small break from gaming and selling off any stuff you don't play would be a good way to go as well.

Astery

I see your point OP, the general gaming community has been more childish and more elitism fueled than I would like to see comparing to a decade ago due to various reasons and changes to gaming journalism (high profile youtubers are more influential now a days).

However, I'm not going to quit gaming, and it would be unfortunate if you do so. I just won't touch games with a toxic community, just hang back and play solo or quite exclusively with real life friends.

JordanN

Banned
I wont lie, the more I've read about the industry and what goes on inside, the more it has opened my eyes to the harsh realities of life.

I think what disturbs me the most is that I always pictured the industry as being this very new and young business, so that should translate to it being the most progressive compared to all other jobs/sectors out there.

Ahahaha, boy was I wrong on that. That said, I wont quit games because I personally always wanted to make them, but I have learned to be cautious about everything and never fall into a state of delusion.

Silvawuff

I'm firm in the belief that games are designed to be fun. If they're anything but this for any reason, play or do something else. A lot of games have tools to limit contact or block people out to spoil your fun; use them!

Play solo or grow a thicker shell.

It was always like this, there was always trash talk and crappy stuff like that. It only affects you if you give any importance to that.

But I understand that not everyone can deal with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but there are no other options in this case, or you play solo or just ignore the dicks.

Yep. I remember playing Q3A and Unreal Tournament nearly 20 years ago and it was probably worse than it is now. Shit talking, threats, doxxing, etc... were all present then. It didn’t get the same, or any, media attention then that these issues do now. I think that probably contributes to a sense that things are worse than ever.

RPGCrazied

No. I just don't play multi player games. When I play WoW I just turn all the chat channels off.

Thankfully I mostly only play single player games.

well OP it's your life anyway, anything I say definitely won't affect you. But in my humble opinion that's a real shame cause it's your hobby. If I were you I'll still be gaming but without headset

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
It has certainly affected my enjoyment and participation in multiplayer games, depending on the game and it's community.

Because I use to read them for people's viewpoints on articles and the like but lately all everything is the worst of everyone circle jerking over how edgy they are.

Look if you dont want to have a hobby that has a bunch of arseholes doing arsehole things then good luck having any hobby at all.

Sports - plenty of people hating others because they dont support their team

Films - changing a character from what they think is right or something equally dumb get death threats sent to creators

Basically anything - people bitching about pointless crap because people are people and will always be this way.

Enjoy the actual hobby of what ever you find fun. Only take part in the community aspects of that hobby you like.

My closest friend has played games just as long as me and he has no clue about even neogaf. He reads like 1 gaming site for new games coming out and thats it. He just plays and enjoys games.

Jumeira

Banned
Not quit but often in shock at the toxicity. I mean that in terms of prominence of racist gamers, and the entitlement to hold that view.

You do what you will be most comfortable with. Gaming for me is a hobby I've had my entire life, I keep up with the industry everyday, and I won't have dirtbag people change what I do for fun. It's hard to find a hobby that does not include bad things and people. You just have to cut them out of what you do.

I only get into some select online games because of it. I'll probably grab COD WW2 and Battlefront 2, that's it this year.

Right now I only play Siege, which unfortunately is half full of complete shitbags. It's another reason I haven't used my mic in the game, which I really WANT to use when playing with a good group because its so damn important to have instant communication. But oh well.

Previous COD's and Battlefield have been pretty good. I guess most people are too busy playing the game.

I try to not associate community happenings with my enjoyment of video games. I disassociate the two.

This in a nutshell for me.

I play alot of solo games and the only real time I get heated is when I see a thread on Gaf with some form of discussions of politics in gaming and I've learned to just X out the browser or go to the Pokémon community thread.

Edit: I mainly play multiplayer on the Nintendo Switch now and lol.. it can't get toxic if you have to move the heavens to talk to someone.

Why do you let how others feel about this hobby affect the way you feel about it? You know you could ignore all of this, right? NeoGaf, Youtube, and livestreams are all optional in this thing we call video games. You could just ya know, play the games?

This is why I only played single player and local multiplayer games for most of my life. Only multiplayer game I play is Splatoon where I don't have to hear people chat but even then I see graffiti like "Hitler was right." :/
I bet there are more nazis on Splatoon 2 now after recent events.

llien

Well, since we are talking about anecdotal evidence, here is mine (EU):

WoW - I played as a healer on a RP-PVP player. I was getting ganked (you get killed, then ogressor waits you to resurrect to kill you again, and again, and again) like no tomorrow, but i don't consider that harassment.

First rude encounter I got was when Blizzard implemented cross realm groups. But even then, it was occasional swearing here and there and rather quite rare.

SC1, most games were:
-Hi, you're from?
-Hi...
<a bit of friendly chat>
If game was long, it normally ended quite friendlish.

The only insults I recall is a single case, and it was from my own party in random 2vs2 (and I sucked, so, get why he/she got mad at me).

SC2, most games are:
hi, gl hf (good luck, have fun)
hi, tx u2
gg or gg wp (good game, well played)

but sometimes, and chances are much higher if I rush (I prefer not to, but super adventurous Zerg leave me no choice) defeated opponent gets mad.
I'm to thick skinned for plain swearing, but once some human wished me and my family death from cancer, and that felt... bad.

Posting on some gaming forum isn't part of being a gamer for me, so, don't even want to mention that.

Ninjimbo

Don't think I'll ever quit gaming because of trolls. They exist and they're going to be part of game culture for as long as it continues to pander to a young male demographic. Although it's important to note that trashy behavior is not limited exclusively to young males, they're probably majority.

I honestly think it's a lack of perspective that perpetuates these kinds attitudes and perspective only comes with age and that's if the individual in question cares about stepping outside their own bubble. Some humility is required for personal growth and how many people do you meet in real life that have that sort of thing? Meme and Twitter culture have only giving narcissistic people power, so good luck changing an entire generation's mentality when it comes to respectful, nuanced discourse.

Both sides are guilty of antagonizing one another as well. It's only led to a retreat for most fair minded people like what happened with OP.

llien

Don't think I'll ever quit gaming because of trolls. They exist and they're going to be part of game culture for as long as it continues to pander to a young male demographic. Although it's important to note that trashy behavior is not limited exclusively to young males, they're probably majority.

Are you talking about some research, or your personal experience?

bennibop

Sorry op I disagree with your actions but I do agree with your view of gamers in general. The answer is denture twitch, don't use n4g and do not use voice chat. No matter your hobby there will always be people that believe they are better, there view is Gospel or their views are more worth while.

mikelarry

While I understand your sentiments, you can just ignore the immature people, you have the tools to block/ mute people or even avoid the conversations that you know are just gonna irritate you.

The thing is there will always be shitty people no matter where you go or what hobby you take up next so are you telling me you will quit every-time you feel the way other people act or interact with a hobby you associate yourself with

Petrae

Trolls and other shitty people don't ruin video games for me because I almost exclusively play solo. The only time I open myself up to nonsense is when I jump online to read news, and that's because the community is loaded with jerks, empowered by the anonymity of the internet-- and the community population has grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade.

I also watch and enjoy sports, which has its own communities of shit. I'm not going to stop watching; I simply disconnect myself from the communities and watch on my own or with close friends/family.

Shitty communities are everywhere. If you can't separate yourself from them, you're going to have to give everything up-- not just gaming. Good luck.

Ninjimbo

Are you talking about some research, or your personal experience?
Experience. I would like to see if an actual study has been done on it. But for as long as I've been playing games and all the multiplayer games I play, I'm always playing with young guys in their teens and early twenties. An important thing to keep in mind is that I'm only talking about the most visible games on the planet.

Dynasty8

No offense, but you're way too overly sensitive.

Life is full of this shit, learn to ignore the idiots and move on.

Quitting gaming isn't going to change anything.

Top Bottom