• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here has quit gaming because of the rise in toxicity?

SuperBudgie1582

Neo Member
Playing video games is a form of entertainment first and foremost. Your personally making it into a hobby by viewing it as anything more than that.

Most of the time, these toxic people are children, who tends to read the internet dictionary in order to come up with witty comebacks. Why would you let them ruin something as fun as gaming?

george_us

That's why, unless I already know you, I've had all of my games on mute for the past 8 or so years I've been gaming online. Ain't got time for that shit anymore. I'd also be lying if I said it didn't somewhat diminish my love of gaming. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE it, but the past couple of years have really made me rethink if I want to be apart of this hobby. I play games to get away from that shit. It's not even so much the fans really. It's really more the fact that the industry at large secretly condones this shit as GamerGate showed. To the "You shouldn't let it get to you crowd", when someone constantly hurls insults at you because you were born a certain way come back and see me.

shaneo632

I mean, you could just pull away from all the gaming discussion nonsense and just...play games? Seems very reactionary to throw the whole hobby away.

I would understand quitting multiplayer only games, but quitting gaming as a whole seems unnecessary.

For what reason would you need to quit playing single player games?

Eh, you're mixing gaming and gaming community.
I get it for multiplayer games, but single player ones ?
Heck, even for MP, just play with people you like.

Fred-87

Because I use to read them for people's viewpoints on articles and the like but lately all everything is the worst of everyone circle jerking over how edgy they are.

Because I'm paying money to keep the system going. I feel like any dollar I put into it means these people are sharing the same eco system with me. I feel like my money indirectly supports their platform and I don't want to anymore.

Then dont go to football matches anymore (soccer for you Americans) because of the hoolingans. You support that indirectly. Dont go to supermarkets because you support the destroyment of local bakers and butchers.

I dont understand you. There are millions of gamers. The majority are normal people wether you want to believe that or not. Same like the majority of football supporters are normal people. Just the 2000 hooligans have a louder voice in the stadium and the camera's are on them.

Quonny

I'd hate to be the kind of person where a small subset of a group of people effect my enjoyment of a product, especially when I in no way have any contact with them.

You do you, though.

brawly

I haven't come across what you describe. Not really my circles.

All I know is that the Xbox One/PS4 is kindergarden compared to the early 360 days. That was when people actually used the mic in-game. That shit was crazy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Don't understand this. It's everywhere, even on GAF. Also don't understand people who think you avoid it by being Nintendo exclusive (See when that reviewer gave Zelda a low score and GAF Nintendo fans started stalking and harassing the reviewer)

Well I am mostly Nintendo exclusive, but I'm not going to pretend I'm not aware of some of the negative aspects that can occur in some gaming communities.

However, I don't recall that behaviour from Nintendo GAF. Personally I didn't even read most BotW reviews. I just played it and enjoyed it on my own terms.

oni-link

What kind of way is this to live your life?

Athlete doping scandal? Never watch sports again

Film director commits an awful crime? Never watch films again

Idiot is elected president/prime minister? Never engage with politics again

Musician says something shitty? Never listen to music again

Fewr

Eh, I'm 47 and been playing since I was 12. Was there for the birth of online on pc, Xbox live etc etc... Sometimes you find great people, which makes it an amazing experience.

Nowadays I play single player almost exclusively as I can't be bothered with all the trash.

I stick to Neogaf for news as it's pretty well managed. Even then I mainly just lurk.

Hey ho, just the way it is I guess. I don't really feel bad about it.

I feel bad for my kids who play crappy games on their tablets and think its perfectly fine to spend half there time watching ads every few minutes. Glad I was around before that phenomenon.
This is how I feel.

Diablos

Everything today has too much 'toxicity'. Look at the election last year even. You'll still find it other places even if you walk away from gaming.

Stay away from multiplayer games for a while or play them only very casually. No one is going to interfere with your single player experience.

13ruce

Banned
Reason why i quit talking with randoms in open voice chat if people need me invite me to a party but ingame chat? Never again shit is toxic AF. Especially in cod and gta but that does not surprise me at all.

And yeah twitch and yt comments even social media ones have been garbage at times. It's sad tbh how some gamers ruin it for the decent ones.

Peltz

I started gaming on the NES when I was 3 years old way before the internet became what it is. So I never really associated myself as part of a community. It was always this thing I did out of pure enjoyment.

Even though I'm on NeoGAF, I more consider this as just a place to discuss my hobby more than an aspect of my "identity" as part of a gaming community.

Videogames are honestly way too prolific at this point to have their own "culture" which needs to be applied to every person who plays.

Renna Hazel

This is one of the main reasons I don't bother with online games, though I feel sexism in online gaming and the gaming community in general is not a new thing and it's something I noticed since I was a little kid. This is one of the main reasons I never bothered with online gaming, since one of it's main draws is meeting and playing with new people. When most of those new people are really lame, the allure is gone.

With that said, I rarely encounter this stuff while playing Nintendo, so I feel pretty comfortable doing that for now.

rager

Banned
Eh, I'm 47 and been playing since I was 12. Was there for the birth of online on pc, Xbox live etc etc... Sometimes you find great people, which makes it an amazing experience.

Nowadays I play single player almost exclusively as I can't be bothered with all the trash.

I stick to Neogaf for news as it's pretty well managed. Even then I mainly just lurk.

Hey ho, just the way it is I guess. I don't really feel bad about it.

I feel bad for my kids who play crappy games on their tablets and think its perfectly fine to spend half there time watching ads every few minutes. Glad I was around before that phenomenon.

Agree. I'm 49 and still love videogames but It's mainly single player and some multiplayer with no voice chat unless with my close friends.

It's definitely got harder for me to feel good about gaming as a hobby and deterred me from a lot of community driven stuff in gaming, whether it be online or in person. Altogether quit though? Not really. I'm definitely playing less than I used to (although that's also a side effect of having more on my plate) and tend to focus on games that remind me of why gaming is a fun hobby in the first place vs super immersive big games.

I don't blame you for not being able to tune out on the bullshit. Find other things to focus on, there's a plethora of great media out there without an internet hate mob.

This seems unnecessarily dramatic. Video games are played to have fun. In some cases, as escapism from the trials of regular life. To let external factors influence that seems a little silly. Just ignore it and enjoy yourself.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Quitting gaming isn't going to make the garbage go away. It's on the news. It's on Twitter. Facebook. It's right outside your front door.

No, I enjoy gaming way to much to walk away. It's an escape. I don't follow gaming personalities on Twitter. I don't watch Twitch. I don't communicate online unless it's with personal friends. I'm pretty far removed from any of the crap, unless I read about it here.

I don't pay attention to negatively charged news articles or site threads, especially if they are of personal basis and don't directly effect me or anyone else. I don't even know what nonsense from a couple years ago you're referring to, honestly. But as long as I keep enjoying playing video games, I'll continue to indulge in the hobby.

We live in an age where everyone has an opinion on everything, and everyone has a platform to announce said opinion to the world. Just swerve the negativity, and focus on what makes you happy.

Izuna

Banned
Don't understand this. It's everywhere, even on GAF. Also don't understand people who think you avoid it by being Nintendo exclusive (See when that reviewer gave Zelda a low score and GAF Nintendo fans started stalking and harassing the reviewer)

I just try to avoid most toxic communities and 99.9% of my gaming is single player.

What I haven't noticed, is a rise

I hate the word "toxicity" but it's the best word I can think of currently.

I think I've reached that point. Tomorrow I'm packing everything up gaming related and taking my cash bounty of 1300 dollars from GameStop and more than likey never touching this hobby again.

Since that nonsense happened a couple of years ago it's been really, really hard to look at gaming in a positive light and wanting to be associated with it.

I read an article, it's politically charged. The comments are a shit show on both sides filled with adults who are way too old to be displaying behavior fit for 3rd graders.

I try to watch streams and people are sexually harassed and being threatened with violence constantly.

I read about museum and video game archival projects that have interested me being shut down because of gamergate.

There's no fun anymore. Everything in gaming has such a large amount of politics and shit people associated with it that I can't by association support it anymore. The dregs of society have won yet again and I guess they got what they wanted by running people like me away from gaming to save "gamers"

I just can't deal with it anymore.
So... you're quitting gaming because of events happening that don't directly affect you at all?
If everyone else's ideals and opinions bother you that much, you should reflect on your own life. Seriously, who cares what other people think about something you enjoy?

I quit playing mmos because of toxic people I pretty much only play fighting games now because there's no chat and everyone I've met in the FGC has been super chill.

whyman

I think the internet and not gaming might be your problem. Try playing some of the awesome single player games out there and don't look online.

zenspider

Quit games, but gaming?

I've stop reading reviews and most news sites as I find review culture (journalists, "journalists", the commentariat, hype cycles, hot takes, backlash, etc.) to be detrimental to my enjoyment of games.

Even at my most dispassionate, I've still found solace in retro games.

Thebonehead

Banned
There is a pervasive rise in anti-intellectualism across many areas. Gaming is just the latest.

Take a look at the craven, imbecilic comments that are tolerated on other sites such as gamefaqs and n4g.

I wonder if they sustain it for the clicks?

It's worse than it's ever been.

What kind of way is this to live your life?

Athlete doping scandal? Never watch sports again

Film director commits an awful crime? Never watch films again

Idiot is elected president/prime minister? Never engage with politics again

Musician says something shitty? Never listen to music again
Spot on. It's so unnecessarily dramatic. No matter where you go there's going to be shitheads. Brush em off and keep on truckin'.
Imagine if someone bumps into OP at a grocery store and doesn't say, "excuse me." NOPE, never buying groceries again.

It's like that Bill Hicks bit about watching the TV News and its Death, Bombs, War, Famine, Death, Misery etc and then he looks outside his window and its Birds chirping and the mailman walking past.

So no I don't see me quitting games because there are horrible horrible people who also play games who project their inadequacies online with hate speech and misogyny. I am not seeing it as I hit start on a game. That said I only play single player so I can't talk to what MP gaming is like. I imagine it's a shitshow. But again it wouldn't stop me doing something I enjoy. If you are straight up not enjoying playing games then by all means give it up. I for one am looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2 something fierce.

Well... no, and I've racked up 2 thousand hours of Dota.

Simply moved on to console multiplayer gaming, where the lack of people with keyboards and headsets makes casual MP gaming fun.

Used to be Overwatch, now Splatoon.

edit: OH, gamergate?

Nope. They aren't the ones developing the games. but I do make it a principle not to buy games from bigoted devs.

N30RYU

simple solution. keep games close and comunities away.

if you are so in in a comunity you will find eventually assholes. so why stop doing what you like if you'll find them elsewere.

edbrat

There have been a few online gaming communities... or at least little pockets of them which have been v welcoming and great to play with over the years personally speaking, made many friends and played many hours of RE5 mercs, Blur, Wipeout, Souls etc etc etc

My theory is that people tend towards people who are like them. So if you're positive, not a dick, up for just having some good times with the game then hopefully you'll find a crew of like minded individuals over time. And conversely, if you're a prick then guess what.

Overwatch recently has intrigued me - obv I've read a lot about the community and the negative aspects, and experienced them to a small extent. I may have been very lucky but over time I've grown my friends list with similar-ish mentality players and usually can find someone not inhuman to play with. Any toxicity and we mute, drop from the group if necessary, report and leave. No engagement necessary, they're not worth the time and we're there to play...not bicker. But this has been mercifully rare (in the shit tiers of EU PS4 if you must know).

eXistor

Do what I do: ignore all the industry bullshit (and there's a lot of it admittedly, this very forum is becoming a scary place) and focus on playing actual games. It's what it's all about anyway: having fun with a hobby. Don't let all this bullshit taint the best hobby in the world.

I understand what you are saying, OP. I was like this a couple of years ago, but what I noticed after some self reflection is that I was spending too much time reading gaming news, browsing gaming forums, listening to gaming podcasts, etc. Everything was about gaming. So, I made sure my free time was spent doing other things like exercising, reading, etc. and I cut back on my gaming media intake. I have more of a surface knowledge when it comes to gaming now instead of knowing every single detail in the gaming industry. I also started to focus more on single player games. My experiences with gaming have been better since making this change.

horkrux

You want to quit playing videogames for fun because of idiots on the internet?

7nPIzZg.jpg

Coxy100

Banned
No I wouldn't let someone else ruin what I enjoy doing.

I also have no interest in multiplayer / comments etc so I don't see that side of things anyway

Zoon

For that same reason I never cared about politics related to gaming. I want my hobby to be just for fun. I feel lucky that when there's a " famous person said/did something bad" I'm like who the fuck is this guy. There have been countless times where I almost replied to a thread but the last moment I'm thinking that it isn't worth it ruining my mood over some dude's words on the internet. I probably would have quit as well if I could find something better to do on my free time.

The main reason gaming is becoming so toxic is that people started using their positions (devs,"authors", etc.) to express political views. Go thank those guys.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I hate the word "toxicity" but it's the best word I can think of currently.

I think I've reached that point. Tomorrow I'm packing everything up gaming related and taking my cash bounty of 1300 dollars from GameStop and more than likey never touching this hobby again.

Since that nonsense happened a couple of years ago it's been really, really hard to look at gaming in a positive light and wanting to be associated with it.

I read an article, it's politically charged. The comments are a shit show on both sides filled with adults who are way too old to be displaying behavior fit for 3rd graders.

I try to watch streams and people are sexually harassed and being threatened with violence constantly.

I read about museum and video game archival projects that have interested me being shut down because of gamergate.

There's no fun anymore. Everything in gaming has such a large amount of politics and shit people associated with it that I can't by association support it anymore. The dregs of society have won yet again and I guess they got what they wanted by running people like me away from gaming to save "gamers"

I just can't deal with it anymore.

You should try giving up Internet instead.

Aske

What I haven't noticed, is a rise

Truth. I've been into videogames since before people used the term "gamer". There were jackasses in arcades, and there have been jackasses online since minute one.

I never play online, and the only gaming media I engage with is GAF; so aside from an awareness that GG happened, and a kind of weird misogynist terrorist cell coalesced out of the worst elements to harass women who have been critical of aspects of games, I don't view people who play games in a generally negative light.

I'm lucky. If I mostly cared about online play with randoms, I could see myself bailing on games; although I'd have done so long before GG. But your feelings are valid, OP. I'm sorry the dirtbags have killed the fun for you.

Top Bottom