• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wtf BS2 is great and the dlc is even greater. People shouldn't skip those games. They have creative and entertaining narratives.

smr00

Banned
Is the D&D bundle on GOG worth it?

Baldurs Gate: The Original Saga
Baldurs Gate 2: Complete
Icewind Dale Complete
Icewind Dale 2 Complete
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Dungeons and Dragons: Dragonshard
Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition
Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete
Planescape: Torment
-$21.10

Sad to say i have never played any of these games other than BG1 back in the day. Past few weeks i have been getting deep into WRPGs but is it worth it?

Blizzard

Banned
Laps for scraps.

-Amazon is fucking terrible about awareness. I wouldn't know about 99% of their sales if people didn't repost stuff from CAG. They send me emails about videogame deals. Did I get one about Borderlands 2 today? Nope.
-I would never heard of GMG if it wasn't for GAF. They have zero advertising power.
To be fair, there probably used to be more awareness about Amazon here until their representative got themselves banned. =P

If you mean that they should send more email alerts about game alerts, then that's probably fair enough.

To be fair, there probably used to be more awareness about Amazon here until their representative got themselves banned. =P

If you mean that they should send more email alerts about game alerts, then that's probably fair enough.
They need to have a not shit page design that just shows me what's on sale.

Bioshock Infinite could be a Rip Off of Twillight Zone or every second Sci-Fi Book while Spec Ops is based on a Book. Its the same thing. While Bioshock Infinite only presenting a better Art Style. While Bioshock feels more like a COD game (Yes you can use your skills and crows and stuff to kill people) but it was actually more tense without those crow/fire stuff (makes the game even on 1999 Mode easier). So while you go into cover and blow stuff up in Spec ops you kill people with crows and guns in Bioshock. To me its only about killing people. Bioshock uses these tears that help you. In Spec ops its sand. They said you could actually go trough an area without having to battle... nope. In the end it plays nearly the same with only a bit difference here and there.

I dont wanna say that Bioshock Infinite hasnt a good story or is a bad "game". Its only overhyped. While Spec Ops presenting also a good story with bad gameplay and nobody gives it credits for that.

Dr Dogg

Wtf BS2 is great and the dlc is even greater. People shouldn't skip those games. They have creative and entertaining narratives.

Well from what I've read opinion on 2 is mixed at best and to be fair I've tried many times to like it but I'm just not feeling it. As a counterpoint though I have heard nothing but good things about Minerva's Den so if there ever is a sale on GFWL Marketplace I might give it a shot.

nexen

Icewind Dale Complete
Icewind Dale 2 Complete
Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete
-$21.10

Sad to say i have never played any of these games other than BG1 back in the day. Past few weeks i have been getting deep into WRPGs but is it worth it?

I am ... uh ... just ... wow. Ok, yes. Yes most definitely worth it.

edit: wrong thread though.
Planescape: Torment is a masterpiece.
Baldur's Gate 2 is amazing. (some say this is the best game ever made. Not me, but some.)
TOEE's story isn't anything but the combat is the best out of any turn based CRPG in the history of forever.
NWN is pretty good.
NWN2 is pretty good.
Icewind Dale 1/2 are pretty good.
Demon Stone is not good.
Haven't played Dragonshard.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I'm saying that if they want me to be aware of their DD sales they should be on top of emailing stuff about those promise the way they do for me already with boxed console games. Visibility is everything and they do a terrible job at it.

Macmanus

Icewind Dale Complete
Icewind Dale 2 Complete
Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete [Mask of the Betrayer]
-$21.10

Bolded are worth it alone.

Joe Molotov

New bundle at Bundle Stars: Catnip.
http://www.bundlestars.com/

All of them look really bad, at a glance ... Anyone played them? All are Steam except the first one.

£1.00 (UK), €1.17 (EU), $1.26 (USD)
Pushcat (Desura)
Metal Drift

£3.94 (UK), €4.64 (EU), $4.99 (USD)
Wasteland Angel
Obulis
Nicopol: Secrets of the Immortals
Chains
Post Mortem
Avencast: Rise of the Mage
+ 2 secret games that aren't unlocked yet.

yJ63g1P.png

Catnip? More like Catshit bundle. Post Mordem is okay, but we've already gone past the bottom of the barrel and are half-way to China.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Using a single guy to spread the word about your company's sales is so mickey mouse you'd think it was run by the digital equivalent of guy-selling-speakers-out-of-his-trunk, not the world's largest online retailer.

nexen

Using a single guy to spread the word about your company's sales is so mickey mouse you'd think it was run by the digital equivalent of guy-selling-speakers-out-of-his-trunk, not the world's largest online retailer.

True, but you got to admit he is pretty good at his job.

New Get Loaded Go from Get Games.

Choose 2 for €8 (every one activates on Steam) 72hr time limit:

Mafia 2
Darksiders 2
Spec Ops The Line
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Arkham City
Deus Ex: HR
Op Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Civ V
Borderlands GOTY
Just Cause 2
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7
Arkham Asylum GOTY
Dirt 2
Quantum Conundrum

morningbus

Bioshock Infinite could be a Rip Off of Twillight Zone or every second Sci-Fi Book while Spec Ops is based on a Book. Its the same thing.

Spec Ops is literally based off Heart of Darkness. Bioshock is an original story.

Just because Bioshock wouldn't be out of place on the Twilight Zone (which it would, mind you), does not mean it isn't an original story in an original universe exploring original concepts.

True, but you got to admit he is pretty good at his job.

Cheers

Mafia 2
Darksiders 2
Spec Ops The Line
Arkham City
Civ V
Borderlands GOTY
Just Cause 2
Arkham Asylum GOTY
Dirt 2
Quantum Conundrum

Being able to choose Qunatum Conundrum actually invalidates the concepts of democracy and free choice. Authoritarianism and fatalism are truly the only things that exist.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Mafia 2
Darksiders 2
Spec Ops The Line
Arkham City
Civ V
Borderlands GOTY
Just Cause 2
Arkham Asylum GOTY
Dirt 2
Quantum Conundrum

Surprisingly solid list. It would seem GGG's X for $Y deals are becoming increasingly competitive.

HoosTrax

They need to have a not shit page design that just shows me what's on sale.
Amazon is just shitty interface-wise compared to specialized stores. Newegg has a way better browsing interface that lets you narrow down tech products with specific criteria, and compare products easily.

I just don't think any one Amazon division has the authority to make their section look and browse differently from the rest of the site.

MRORANGE

Mafia 2
Darksiders 2
Spec Ops The Line
Arkham City
Civ V
Borderlands GOTY
Just Cause 2
Arkham Asylum GOTY
Dirt 2
Quantum Conundrum

Seriously go play Mafia 2 it rips chunks out of GTAIV's 'Oscar worth story'

Other bold are worth playing as well.

smr00

Banned
I am ... uh ... just ... wow. Ok, yes. Yes most definitely worth it.

edit: wrong thread though.
Planescape: Torment is a masterpiece.
Baldur's Gate 2 is amazing. (some say this is the best game ever made. Not me, but some.)
TOEE's story isn't anything but the combat is the best out of any turn based CRPG in the history of forever.
NWN is pretty good.
NWN2 is pretty good.
Icewind Dale 1/2 are pretty good.
Demon Stone is not good.
Haven't played Dragonshard.
Yeah i noticed right after i posted it was on the wrong thread, sorry :(

I just saw some talk about D&D games and would ask. I bit on it and bought the pack and currently downloaded them all. Quick question, when you download via installer do they auto-install or just download the games for you to install later? Because i kind of want to throw them all on my external after dling then deleting the files off my PC except 1 or 2 games so i can just leave 1-2 games at a time that i am playing. I have the space i am just a clean freak on my PC where i only want games i am currently playing installed.

JaseC

Come to think of it, I still need to finish Just Cause 2; if memory serves, there are only 2 or 3 areas that need completing. Blanketing a town with explosive charges and watching the resulting chaos from a distance as you "slingshot" yourself out of the area never gets old.

didamangi

Mafia 2
Darksiders 2
Spec Ops The Line
Arkham City
Civ V
Borderlands GOTY
Just Cause 2
Arkham Asylum GOTY
Dirt 2
Quantum Conundrum

Somebody should buy these 2 games and post so we could hear some more amazing poetry from morningbus.

Come to think of it, I still need to finish Just Cause 2; if memory serves, there are only 2 or 3 areas that need completing. Blanketing a town with explosive charges and watching the resulting chaos from a distance as you "slingshot" yourself out of the area never gets old.

I spent so much time looking for that one hidden something on a small village to achieve %100 on that village, I never actually played the missions.

Glass Rebel

I'm tempted to pick up Mafia 2 one day but the complete edition has some additional DLC you can't buy separately *I think*.

Can't wait for the summer sale to pick up Bioshock Infinite. Just got X-Com this week from a GAFer this week, so it will hold me until then.

Dr Dogg

I'm tempted to pick up Mafia 2 one day but the complete edition has some additional DLC you can't buy separately *I think*.

I think it's just the Made Man pack with it just a car, gun and digital clobber. Was available in the Digital Deluxe edition. Only DLC worth it is Joe's Adventure, Jimmy's Betrayal and Jimmy's Vendetta. Good game though it's not really like GTA at all.

Sanjay

I dont wanna say that Bioshock Infinite hasnt a good story or is a bad "game". Its only overhyped. While Spec Ops presenting also a good story with bad gameplay and nobody gives it credits for that.

Its the direction of how the story is told and its execution which a lot of games get awfully wrong. Bioshock Infinite really is like watching a moving painting with Oscar-caliber drama like The Tree of Life, by Terrence Malick.

JaseC

I spent so much time looking for that one hidden something on a small village to achieve %100 on that village, I never actually played the missions.

Haha, as frustrating as that is, my inner completionist won't allow me to ignore missing factors. I remember spending a good day or two chasing down water tanks in one of the game's largest cities -- I eventually had to painstakingly follow a particularly thorough video guide to hit 100%.

Is Darksiders 2 a decent PC port? In fact is it any good full stop?

As a guide I got to the desert-whatever-it-was area on the original and gave up due to other games getting in the way. And never felt the need to go back.

I have a feeling I have answered my own question.

Dr Dogg

Nah, you can't buy Jimmy's Betrayal on Steam. At least I can't.

exactly :lol

Well you learn something new every day. According to 2k's support it's only available in Czech Republic, Poland, and Russia. What is this? 1989? Eastern Bloc trade embargo or something?

Haha, as frustrating as that is, my inner completionist won't allow me to ignore missing factors. I remember spending a good day or two chasing down water tanks in one of the game's largest cities -- I eventually had to painstakingly follow a particularly thorough video guide to hit 100%.

I'm sure you got the Strategy Guide on Steam though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just about to finish Bioshock 1 and I'm loving the atmosphere and the story, but don't care for the action particularly. I read that Bioshock 2 has less story/more action so would I be ok to skip it and go straight to Infinite?
My exact experience. But you're stronger than me, as I couldn't play for more than 2 hours.

nexen

My exact experience. But you're stronger than me, as I couldn't play for more than 2 hours.

I honestly feel that BioShock 2's combat is a vast improvement over BioShock 1's combat.

Everything else is about the same, except the narrative which is worse.
The main issue with BioShock 2 is that it feels so unnecessary. It is like the gaming equivalent of a run-on sentence.

if combat is what turned you off from BioShock 1, you might want to give 2 a spin.

JaseC

Is Darksiders 2 a decent PC port? In fact is it any good full stop?

As a guide I got to the desert-whatever-it-was area on the original and gave up due to other games getting in the way. And never felt the need to go back.

I have a feeling I have answered my own question.

As a console -> PC port, it's not the best: performance is reasonable, although the max shadow setting severely impacts performance for no discernible quality gain; kb&m controls are not at all intuitive; and the UI is such a mess that there are a few cases of the button prompts not actually aligning with the binds themselves.

Generally speaking, however, the game is a bug-filled mess. Since THQ was teetering at the edge of bankruptcy when the game went gold, it saw just a few weeks of post-release support -- some of the remaining bugs are potentially game-breaking.

morningbus

Somebody should buy these 2 games and post so we could hear some more amazing poetry from morningbus.

His son asks before bed, "Can I be anything I want, Papa?"
Tears welling in the corners of his eyes, "Son..." he trails.
The pillow flips and the struggle is over.
He could have been Serious Sam 3. He couldn't take that chance.

What's funny here is that I am actually a published poet. Not a joke.

Grief.exe

I missed out on the first 4 pages
What did I miss?

AoE II unlocks in an hour.

I honestly feel that BioShock 2's combat is a vast improvement over BioShock 1's combat.

Everything else is about the same, except the narrative which is worse.
The main issue with BioShock 2 is that it feels so unnecessary. It is like the gaming equivalent of a run-on sentence.

if combat is what turned you off from BioShock 1, you might want to give 2 a spin.

2K loves money though.

I have a feeling we will see them take a similar direction with Infinite. Farm out the assets and engine to another developer so they can turn around a cheap sequel.

It doesn't really make sense from a narrative perspective, but from a publicly traded corporation perspective? It makes perfect sense to a suit.

JaseC

Steam is telling me I recently received four 25% discount coupons for Bit.Trip Runner 2. I know others have received them recently, but I had assumed that they were being given to those who owned the game.

I'm sure you got the Strategy Guide on Steam though.

Haha, now that you mention it, I do now.

Nabs

I missed out on the first 4 pages
What did I miss?

Poetry.

So did Amazon sell out of BL2 Season Passes already? It's a shame you can't buy 'em and wait for the key to be added later. I wonder if they'll add more before the sale is over tonight.

Yeah. It isn't good don't get it. The games are boring, the training is just not enough and the nightlife involves just dragging the players into what they want to be doing. I only played an hour or so but there wasn't enough to do.

That's too bad. I felt like if executed right it would be an interesting take on the genre.

Steam is telling me I recently received four 25% discount coupons for Bit.Trip Runner 2. I know others have received them recently, but I had assumed that they were being given to those who owned the game.

Haha, now that you mention it, I do now.

I think the discounts are given to people who own other Bit.Trip games as well. Although I got 2 coupons while owning 3 Bit.Trip games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom