• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Nice picks. And it is indeed. Feel free to PM if you want more details.

Always fantastic and interesting scans, Amy!

I might. I haven't tried my copies (I have it on the PC-98 and Saturn) to see how beyond my language level it is. I'll try it out this weekend.

The plot twist is handled REALLY well in the game. I'd consider playing the game first.

I played the game ages ago. I've been feeling like playing it again recently.

AmyS

Thank you for these Amy. Great spreads for some amazing games. What issues were these in?

I'll have to look them up again. Will try to update on the weekend.

I just hunted down a bunch of previews & reviews for Saturn X-Men vs Street Fighter, which was a pretty big deal back then because of the 4MB RAM cart and the essentially flawless port because of it. Announced at or around Sept. '97 at the Tokyo Game Show and released before the end of the year in Japan, it got a lot of coverage in U.S. magazines into early '98

EGM
e5RhdpR.jpg
vT8v9jt.jpg

6Xp3EQD.jpg
O5T6SaI.jpg

GameFan (Nov, Dec '97, Jan '98)

pIWT7iA.jpg

TYEs6zG.jpg

GamePro.

For whatever reason GamePro reivew says it's *almost* arcade perfect, but missing some animation, I don't quite believe them here, since that contradicts 99% of all other reviews and comments I've read over the years).

Aaand CVG (UK mag)

piggychan

sigh* just received an item that was auctioned as "very good" from an ebay seller and the disc doesn't have a regular scratch but instead a crack and doesn't load. Contacting seller....

XOYwR8d.jpg

Vespa

Aww man :( Was the case damaged? kinda suspect if it wasn't.

@AmyS Thanks for posting those scans, the CVG review makes me miss my magazine collection which was thrown out because of water damage. Probably my favourite video game magazine along with a few others.

piggychan

Aww man :( Was the case damaged? kinda suspect if it wasn't.

@AmyS Thanks for posting those scans, the CVG review makes me miss my magazine collection which was thrown out because of water damage. Probably my favourite video game magazine along with a few others.

nope everything arrived perfect just the game disc. I haven't even bothered looking at the manual or 2nd disc.

AmyS

piggychan, oh man that's awful -- I hope the seller makes things right ASAP.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a gray Japanese Saturn, and separately some games and a 4MB RAM cart.

I've almost bought one a half dozen times this week, and backed off at the last moment.

piggychan

I can tell you although it's somewhat impressive seeing all those sprites bouncing around the screen it does feel a bit rushed with it's slowdown and some sprite flicker in the background particularly with Blackhearts background. I can remember waiting outside my importers back in the day along with several others for the game to arrive and be sold at the CEX shop based in central London.

Keio for the Saturn costs like 130 on eBay but when I got my copy in Akihabara it was only about 20. Did it shoot up in the past few years or was I lucky?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Keio for the Saturn costs like 130 on eBay but when I got my copy in Akihabara it was only about 20. Did it shoot up in the past few years or was I lucky?

I got it for $80 from Japan so ebay prob not the best place to by anything if you can help it. Got Blast Wind for $100 same guy.

piggychan

Falcom Classics 2? Bummer

yup got the first classics disc which I'm digging. The Ys bosses are harder on there compared to the turbografx CD version especially on the Saturn mode. The version I got has 2 discs which I think the 2nd one runs with the MPEG card and has fan service stuff with the voice actors and Falcom shop many moons ago.

yup got the first classics disc which I'm digging. The Ys bosses are harder on there compared to the turbografx CD version especially on the Saturn mode. The version I got has 2 discs which I think the 2nd one runs with the MPEG card and has fan service stuff with the voice actors and Falcom shop many moons ago.

I have this but haven't played it yet. Are they the PC versions or is it uniquely Saturn?

piggychan

I have this but haven't played it yet. Are they the PC versions or is it uniquely Saturn?

i only know the famicom, Master System and Turbografx versions of Ys.

According to Hardcore gaming:

JVC published two Falcom Classics compilations for the Saturn. The first package, released in 1997, contains a remake of Ys, alongside Xanadu and Dragon Slayer. The graphics obviously look a lot more detailed, but they're all a bit drab compared to the bright palette of the TurboGrafx-16 game, despite some nice new character portraits. The music, despite being redbook, also pales greatly in comparison, with very MIDI-esque arrangements. There's no voice acting or even much of an intro. But while the presentation screams "budget title," the gameplay has at least been suitably beefed up. While it takes a long time to level up (like in the old computer versions), Adol can finally run, as well as move diagonally. These small gameplay enhancements almost, almost make it better than the TurboGrafx-16 version. As a bonus, a certain version of the Falcom Classics bundle comes with an additional CD. It contains a CD drama, as well as a video of one of the voice actresses taking a tour of the Falcom store in Japan (and losing terribly at a game of Ys).

The second Falcom Classics package was released in 1998, featuring a remake of Ys II, as well as an older Falcom game called Asteka II: The Temple of the Sun. It seems like JVC put a bit more effort into this one - there's some voice acting, as well as an anime intro, and even scenes from the original Ys game with voiceovers, as if the publisher was trying to make an apology for the previous release. Otherwise, the enhancements are pretty much the same: more detailed graphics but less vibrant, and mediocre arrangements of the music. The second CD included with the limited edition simply has some music selections from Ys II and Asteka, since they aren't redbook on the game CD.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm

i only know the famicom, Master System and Turbografx versions of Ys.

According to Hardcore gaming:

JVC published two Falcom Classics compilations for the Saturn. The first package, released in 1997, contains a remake of Ys, alongside Xanadu and Dragon Slayer. The graphics obviously look a lot more detailed, but they're all a bit drab compared to the bright palette of the TurboGrafx-16 game, despite some nice new character portraits. The music, despite being redbook, also pales greatly in comparison, with very MIDI-esque arrangements. There's no voice acting or even much of an intro. But while the presentation screams "budget title," the gameplay has at least been suitably beefed up. While it takes a long time to level up (like in the old computer versions), Adol can finally run, as well as move diagonally. These small gameplay enhancements almost, almost make it better than the TurboGrafx-16 version. As a bonus, a certain version of the Falcom Classics bundle comes with an additional CD. It contains a CD drama, as well as a video of one of the voice actresses taking a tour of the Falcom store in Japan (and losing terribly at a game of Ys).

The second Falcom Classics package was released in 1998, featuring a remake of Ys II, as well as an older Falcom game called Asteka II: The Temple of the Sun. It seems like JVC put a bit more effort into this one - there's some voice acting, as well as an anime intro, and even scenes from the original Ys game with voiceovers, as if the publisher was trying to make an apology for the previous release. Otherwise, the enhancements are pretty much the same: more detailed graphics but less vibrant, and mediocre arrangements of the music. The second CD included with the limited edition simply has some music selections from Ys II and Asteka, since they aren't redbook on the game CD.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm

Cool. I have both but I haven't even opened them from the wrapping Traders puts them in. I should play them some time and compare to the X68000 version, which is the one I know best. Obviously, the graphics will be a lot different from that one but I was curious how close they made it to the MSX and PC-88 versions. Looks like they did more than the MSX Classics Collection which are pretty much the same as the originals.

Galdelico

Some real heavy hitters! Nice.

Seriously. I love Astra SO much.

Btw Warnen - out of my OCD collector's curiosity - are all those games complete with spine card, reg. card and all the paper crap usually included? If so, is it difficult to get games in such conditions in the wild? I ask because I always assumed they are more like eBay-only material, for maximum profit.

AmyS

These early development / pre-launch / post-launch Saturn articles from EDGE are spectacular.

LbxvZIq.jpg

FiHAVbs.jpg

sR8aDJP.jpg

zGLj2PO.jpg

tFQRdmZ.jpg
OSKN96Q.jpg

Hxx3x8M.jpg

9zVhAir.jpg

Edit:

I also remember a late 1993 issue of Diehard GameFan had three artist renderings of Saturn from three different Japanese magazines.

Tstzn5p.jpg

Also, Video Games The Ultimate Gaming Magazine: July 1994:

And the July 1994 issue of EGM2 had a great special feature.

Warnen

Seriously. I love Astra SO much.

Btw Warnen - out of my OCD collector's curiosity - are all those games complete with spine card, reg. card and all the paper crap usually included? If so, is it difficult to get games in such conditions in the wild? I ask because I always assumed they are more like eBay-only material, for maximum profit.

Think wolf is the only one in that group that has both the spine card and registration. I would say only 1/8 of the games I have have both, maybe 1/3 has one or the other. Its not impossible to find but even if you don't get from ebay its going to cost extra to get them. They are not hugely important to me (especially the reg card) so if I had a choice I'd usually opt for the cheapest version.

AmyS

amazing AmyS those last scans I have the exact issue of edge mag.

I remember some of these articles, in the form of their U.S. Next Generation versions, but because EDGE magazine started much earlier than NG, I never got to see the early ones.

You know guys, sometimes I fantasize that NEC w/ Hudson had made the PC-FX into a console that played tons of awesome 2D sprite based games (like the PC-Engine family did, only at that time, with arcade quality 32-bit capabilities) plus at least some games that used the originally planned 3D polygon hardware that was meant to be in Project Tetsujin aka Iron Man.

i.e....
Really, a 32-bit PC-Engine successor, instead of a console that mainly targeted anime and FMV, which is what the PC-FX was, and stayed in Japan....
....But then I stop and realize that the Japanese Sega Saturn and its games are exactly what I was looking for, all along!

Galdelico

Think wolf is the only one in that group that has both the spine card and registration. I would say only 1/8 of the games I have have both, maybe 1/3 has one or the other. Its not impossible to find but even if you don't get from ebay its going to cost extra to get them. They are not hugely important to me (especially the reg card) so if I had a choice I'd usually opt for the cheapest version.
Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

Astra and Keio are lovely, in my opinion. Curious to hear your opinion on those two. ^_-

Warnen

Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

Astra and Keio are lovely, in my opinion. Curious to hear your opinion on those two. ^_-

Haven't tried Keio yet, only get an hour or so a day to play so working to it. As for Astra, played it thru with Lettuce last night. I'm really liking the movement in the game, ducking under attack or going over then is new and fun. Kinda like fighting on a trampoline. Took me a few seconds to figure out I had to jump at the bosses head to do any damage.

I'll get more into after I try everything else I have. Got a few more games coming (only other big ones are Radiant Slivergun and Kingdom GPX), after that probably not going to be buying anything until the holidays so I'll have time for them all.

IrishNinja

Amy S stays a treasure trove of info on here - the hype for Saturn was real. i was sour grapes on that shit for a solid 15 years afterwards before finally digging in, haha

MikeMyers

Somewhat off-topic, but I played Panzer Dragoon Orta for the first time. Twas fun, but it didn't feel as atmospheric as the Saturn games.

IrishNinja

Somewhat off-topic, but I played Panzer Dragoon Orta for the first time. Twas fun, but it didn't feel as atmospheric as the Saturn games.

i get this, but it's a worthy sequel - in my mind, Saga still finishes the series & Orta still feels like a well polished gaiden, but i get it

MikeMyers

I'm not saying it is bad. I like it, but just not as much as the originals.

Just wish SEGA didn't have to harakiri the series by putting it on the Xbox.

IrishNinja

yeahhhh...but if eidolon's inn (RIP) is to be believed, the team chose that system, maybe they did so back when DC backwards compatibility was on the table? hard to say, not much from that era is really known, sadly.

Orta (especially over component) is fucking beautiful, but man does it get hard.

MikeMyers

Well that wouldn't surprise me. Sega kind of has a history of making bad decisions lol.

Do you think the game would have been a success if it was on PS2 and/or GC?

IrishNinja

Well that wouldn't surprise me. Sega kind of has a history of making bad decisions lol.

Do you think the game would have been a success if it was on PS2 and/or GC?

i wanna agree but if the theory holds: sega leaving the hardware game at like their peak was unprecedented; asking which team wanted to continue on what hardware was really forward thinking, even if it clearly split the base

and i adore the GC but nahhhh any game not on the PS2 was gonna bomb, even the ones that did needed their shitty launch window to do well, cause sony brought the fire by the end of year 1 hardcore

I really wish SEGA hadn't decided to drop Megadrive BC at the last minute. Same with Saturn on the Dreamcast actually.

i wanna co-sign this but with the cart slot we saw on the saturn, ehhhhhh

MikeMyers

PS2 versions would have sold more but I still don't know if some of the games like Jet Set Radio Future would have been a success on there either.

VF4 was PS2 exclusive but I think that one was better as a multiplat or on another system lol.

IrishNinja

you're prolly right but contemporizing the PS2, think of this

looking back, it had an okay launch: SSX, tekken tag, timesplitters etc

but i bought in on summoner (...) which would soon be used for credit towards shemue cause if you had a launch PS2 it was dope for DVD's but the dreamcast was ON FIRE for actual quality

but yeah, like 13 months later & you had Devil May Cry, FF X, Metal Gear Solid 2 etc etc (dont let nobody convince you Bouncer was a good game). as the biggest sega fan on here, when GTA 3 dropped it was a wrap.

my point is: sony doesn't usually prep (vita aside) launch software worth a shit, so year 1 releases like a port of Orta would've killed, in my opinion.

Galdelico

Haven't tried Keio yet, only get an hour or so a day to play so working to it. As for Astra, played it thru with Lettuce last night. I'm really liking the movement in the game, ducking under attack or going over then is new and fun. Kinda like fighting on a trampoline. Took me a few seconds to figure out I had to jump at the bosses head to do any damage.

I'll get more into after I try everything else I have. Got a few more games coming (only other big ones are Radiant Slivergun and Kingdom GPX), after that probably not going to be buying anything until the holidays so I'll have time for them all.
You saved the best for last (I've got a huge soft spot for Radiant...).
And yeah, Astra is super bouncy! :)

Top Bottom