• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

vg260

Nah, they are not the type to pull a Capcom.

I understand how non-Capcom fans are skeptical of new Capcom fighters in the same way, but let's not pretend it's a Capcom-only thing. Both GG and BB had multiple iterations. For fence-sitters this is a barrier to entry, even if the game has a year-life. Only SC and Tekken seem to stray from this pattern. Fighters take a lot of time to learn. It's a legit consideration for many fighters.

I'm just curious if they've said anything on future expansion plans.

mjc

I'd really like to get this but I haven't played through P3 or P4 yet, and I don't want the story to be spoiled (for 4 especially.) I suppose I could just play the quick fight matches and avoid story mode or something, right?

BlackJace

well they did give it about a 1 year timeframe for each version. Unlike mvc3 to umvc3 which was released in the same year.

It's a fighting game. they can do it.

But with what justification?

Did the enhanced BlazBlues have a lot of necessary things? I wouldn't know, I only had Calamity Trigger vanilla.

But with what justification?

Did the enhanced BlazBlues have a lot of necessary things? I wouldn't know, I only had Calamity Trigger vanilla.

Well, the last one was pretty much just one character plus story for it and the DLC chars and two or 3 extra modes >.>

Say what you want about UMVC3, but at least its roster update was big.

vocab

I'd really like to get this but I haven't played through P3 or P4 yet, and I don't want the story to be spoiled (for 4 especially.) I suppose I could just play the quick fight matches and avoid story mode or something, right?

That's what im doing.

kewlmyc

Arcade mode will be fine for you. Story mode spoils P3 and P4 (mostly P3 though surprising).

_woLf

I'm getting the PS3 version. Add me!

PSN ID: x_Delta_Wolf_X
Main: Mitsuru/Chie, though I'm looking forward to Yukiko and Labrys.

Beckx

Aw man. Well, at least this is official word. Hopefully we'll hear news before Aug 7 of patch timing.

Otherwise - please stop me from being insane: my friends list is on 360 and I will want to play them, but I'm considering getting a PS3 copy as well for the rest of my online play. And despite knowing that's completely fricking nuts, part of my brain keeps whispering "dooo iiiiiiit!"

Nyoro SF

360 has a promise to be fixed.

No amount of promises can fix the PSN players using wireless on a shared router with 5+ people then crying about lag on forums.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I don't see how they can make an enhanced version. Everything in vanilla seems definite.

More characters, stages, music.

What makes me wonder if they will release another is the whole P-1 Grand Prix name. Which would mean there could be a P-2, P-3, etc.

Btw my new best friend arrived today!
TrfN5.jpg

WYQxE.jpg

Touched the buttons and feels so good~

zlatko

Banned
For those who didn't play P4 and want to get in on the story-just watch the anime. It's 26 episodes or some shit and up on Hulu for free.

Get on dat.

Infinite

360 has a promise to be fixed.

No amount of promises can fix the PSN players using wireless on a shared router with 5+ people then crying about lag on forums.

The same thing goes for 360 users as well once they actual problem is fixed of course.

For those who didn't play P4 and want to get in on the story-just watch the anime. It's 26 episodes or some shit and up on Hulu for free.

Get on dat.

Oh shit it's on Hulu? Done.
I've been watching the Endurance Run and I was just gonna buy the game after I finished that. Watching the anime sounds like a better
/faster
plan.

SerRodrik

More characters, stages, music.

What makes me wonder if they will release another is the whole P-1 Grand Prix name. Which would mean there could be a P-2, P-3, etc.

Btw my new best friend arrived today!

Touched the buttons and feels so good~

That's actually the first thing that I thought when I heard the name P-1 Grand Prix. It sounded like it was being set up for followups.

Parakeetman

Well yeah but you underestimate the population of 360 users that own the slim.

Btw Ive been meaning to ask, what is that avatar of yours from? lol its been bugging me for some time now.

That's actually the first thing that I thought when I heard the name P-1 Grand Prix. It sounded like it was being set up for followups.

I demand to see Brown vs. Yosuke
BrownHead.jpg

For those who dont remember

zlatko

Banned
Oh shit it's on Hulu? Done.
I've been watching the Endurance Run and I was just gonna buy the game after I finished that. Watching the anime sounds like a better
/faster
plan.

That'd take foreeever. Anime is good in my opinion, and should more than suffice to let you like the characters and know what's up with the story for P4 to transition into P4 arena.

I think the only issue is you will have to hunt down the "27th" episode/movie, so you can see the secret ending or in the game the "true boss" for the best ending, since the last episode of the anime leaves it on the 2nd best conclusion you can get.

alstein

Well, the last one was pretty much just one character plus story for it and the DLC chars and two or 3 extra modes >.>

Say what you want about UMVC3, but at least its roster update was big.

That history is going to hurt Persona when it updates- people may be reluctant to buy DLC Yukari if people think you'll have to buy her again on a disc in a few months time.

B00TE

Man, I'm still so torn on which version to buy. Leaning towards the PS3 version now, just because it's looking like the community is gonna be much bigger. May just end up double dipping in the future, getting the 360 version now and the PS3 one later. Glad I still have a week to mull this over.

Arcade mode looks pretty damn nice.

BlackJace

The way they move their mouth seems kinda off. I'd have preferred if they left their mouths still like in regular games.

But I'll get over it.

Parakeetman

From the idol group Berryz Koubou inspired by their single Be Genki Naseba Naru. That particular idol in that avatar is Momoko Tsuganaga. Not sure if idol music is anyone's cup of tea here so it doesn't surprise me that you went completely blank on it.

Kazunoko wrecking dudes with Yu. Well was.

For a while I had kept thinking it was some fan art from Fire Emblem or something. I know who Berryz are but I havent listened to music in a long long time lol

dokish

Banned
Looks pretty similar to Blazblue except with added transitions. Not bad at all

This is my first time hearing new Chie. The voice doesn't bother me that much, it's actually pretty decent

Still gonna pour one out for husky Chie

RIP :(

I'm so relieved.

When you guys said that they changed the Chie voice actress, you were meaning the ENGLISH one?

The japenese one is still Horie Yui, riiiighttt?????? She's perfect

Infinite

For a while I had kept thinking it was some fan art from Fire Emblem or something. I know who Berryz are but I havent listened to music in a long long time lol

That's a damn shame. You're missing out

Judging by how mainstream is going, you haven't missed anything haha.

"Mainstream" music isn't the only kind of music around but I digress.

Kazunoko playing a variety of characters on the God's Garden stream

BlackJace

"Mainstream" music isn't the only kind of music around but I digress.

Kazunoko playing a variety of characters on the God's Garden stream

Oh yeah I most definitely agree. I'm just stating what I've seen a lot of teens and young adults listen to, which is mainstream. Total garbage all around.

Parakeetman

I'm so relieved.

When you guys said that they changed the Chie voice actress, you were meaning the ENGLISH one?

The japenese one is still Horie Yui, riiiighttt?????? She's perfect

Ya all the JP VAs are exactly the same.

Solune

I don't see how they can make an enhanced version. Everything in vanilla seems definite.

Pretty much every revision between BB CT > CS1 > CS2 > EX was like a new game changing characters completely sometimes for better or worse and often having to relearn characters.

Parakeetman

Pretty much every revision between BB CT > CS1 > CS2 > EX was like a new game changing characters completely sometimes for better or worse and often having to relearn characters.

All of the versions is why I have not bought another BB game since the vanilla one... was worried they would release another right after I buy the "latest". Now its a bit too late to get into it considering how long its been since its out. That and never was that good at ArcSys fighting games lol

I just noticed something you using Labrys. The strong persona attack, the 2 part one where first is a double shot, then multiple follow ups, if the opponent is blocking the follow up shots you cant walk up and throw them when they are blocking. There is even a frame of invincibility when they return to the idle position. Interesting. Makes sense since would be massive cheese otherwise.

alstein

All of the versions is why I have not bought another BB game since the vanilla one... was worried they would release another right after I buy the "latest". Now its a bit too late to get into it considering how long its been since its out. That and never was that good at ArcSys fighting games lol

I just noticed something you using Labrys. The strong persona attack, the 2 part one where first is a double shot, then multiple follow ups, if the opponent is blocking the follow up shots you cant walk up and throw them when they are blocking. There is even a frame of invincibility when they return to the idle position. Interesting. Makes sense since would be massive cheese otherwise.

I think they got rid of throwing in blockstun period. Good riddance.

Shito

Ok, for people who were wondering about the asian version: I can confirm from first hand that the asian version works on a japanese PS3.
Now, I'm off to enjoy the game... :)

Parakeetman

Ok, for people who were wondering about the asian version: I can confirm from first hand that the asian version works on a japanese PS3.
Now, I'm off to enjoy the game... :)

Usually though isnt that the case since they dont RL stuff from Asia / JPN? I would have thought people would be more interested if the Asian version worked on a US system.

You would think with the burst system and such it would be easy to get out of if you manage your super meter well and or are good at counter throw timing. I just found that odd, since usually most games had always left things like that in. Man I remember back in the days fights would break out over shit like that in the arcades. Watch Street Fighter II in the arcades or out in the parking lot hahaha

---

Man am not doing Labrys justice am getting stuck on #19 in the challenge mode, but having a stick makes a HUGE diff for pulling off some of this stuff.

Cowie

Decided to splurge on a PS3 Hori Fighting Edge for this (and, I guess, an invested future in buying fighters on the Triple.) Scheduled delivery is August 2nd, so it should be here in plenty of time to learn P4A on! hypehypehype.

Honestly, I‘m of the opinion that why worry about possible future versions if the game interests you? All you‘ll get is a smaller community and a harder time catching up to everyone else.

Why? It was damn easy to tech.

Parakeetman

For the JP voices I love how Madao (Hasegawa from Gintama, VA Tachiki Fumihiko) is the announcer.
4b2c73ffdb289.jpg

Top Bottom