• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Gamerloid

iwPV3xemaoo2o.png

Developer: Media Molecule
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
Designer: Rex Crowle
Platforms: PlayStation Vita
Genre: Platformer
Release Dates:
NA: November 22nd 2013
EU: November 22nd 2013
IND: November 22nd 2013
JP: December 3rd 2013
Creative Web Site: Tearaway

irAulCrKyJrlw.png

PlayStation Vita Hardware Features:
Front Sensor
Rear Touchpad
Gyroscope​
This game makes use of almost all of the Vita's hardware capabilities. The Front Sensor is used to detect blowing in the Vita's Microphone which will create gust of wind in the game. You can make use of the Rear Touchpad you launch your Messenger, tear through paper, and flaunt your God-like powers. It doesn't end there, the gyroscope allows you to shake the whole world of Tearaway to help guide your Messenger. Shake and turn, the world truly is in your hands.

Because of the extensive use of the Vita's Hardware capabilities, this game is not Vita TV compatible.

ibvn0wIY3OEWkC.png

Considering Iota and Itoi are made of paper, it's only natural you'd be able customize them! During your adventure, you'll find many paper craft models that can be used to really make your envelope hero your own. You can remove any or all of their features and replace them with whatever you like, either choosing from a list of pre-made animated items such as eyes, mouths, and various shapes like hearts or stars, or you can make your own from scratch. The pre-made ones must be purchased with confetti, colorful paper fragments that you’ll collect as you play, but making your own is free!

Not only will you be customizing your own messenger, but you'll be using your creativity to customize your world and help others as well. When the time comes to get crafty, you’ll be presented with a virtual cutting mat, and a selection of colored paper sheets.

That's not where it ends either. At Tearaway Me, you'll be able to share your photos from in game and your papercraft plans! So make you design lots of papercraft and share with the community. Papercraft allows you to customize your world and the people in it. You unlock them with each level cleared. So you not only get achievements, but papercraft too!

ib1BhrJHyYG3c3.jpg

Tearaway Review Thread

ibbigDLBcPTi4W.png

ib17PMta28opkQ.png

aerts1js

I didn't even know this game was coming out so soon. I don't have a vita but I'm going to keep an eye on the reviews for this.

GulAtiCa

I look forward to this game. But it being $40, yet near half that in Europe kinda pisses me off to be honest..

Oh well.. Hopefully the game is great.

foamdino

itoa = int to char
atoi = char to int

in C - nice programmer reference.

(doh! -it's iota, but atoi is correct)

Skyzard

Banned
Wait just how big do these levels get? What I saw was really linear which put me off, but these comparisons to Super Mario 64 are exciting me.

It's pretty linear from what I've heard but some levels are bigger than others with areas to explore. I also read a lot of reviews bringing up Mario 64 and I think that might be less to do with the specific levels but how you felt when you played Mario 64 (back then). Link to quotes.

When's the review embargo?

Not sure, been wanting to know how long it is for a while now, don't want it to end quickly.

Man, I have to get this game to support the Vita and Media Molecule but I just bought a PS4 and the One is next week along with all the Nintendo games. Busiest two weeks of gaming ever.

Nice OT by the way, always appreciate the work people put into these.

itoa = int to char
atoi = char to int

in C - nice programmer reference.

(doh! -it's iota, but atoi is correct)

Hahaha, I was gonna call you on this. ;)

Atoi is mostly just Iota reversed, I think... but hey, it kinda works. :D

--

Damn you Vitamuffins, you've got me considering this. However, it's not launching at EU/UK prices, so I won't be picking it up anytime soon. Thanks, SCEA Obama.

foamdino

I really dig the art style. Is this Vita only or is it one of these new-fangled cross-play (ps vita/ps3/ps4) games?

Nope I see it uses Vita hardware, so exclusive - very nice.

whitehawk

Banned
Same day as XBox One? I want to line up at midnight for this game just for kicks.

"Are you lining up for the Xbox One?"
"Nope, a Vita game."

Alchemy

Want this, but its being released at the worst possible time. Already dropped a bunch of money on PS4 stuff, and Mario 3D World and Zelda come out the same day as this. Bad decision.

they're giving the blueprint for all character in the game so you can make one yourselves right? totally gonna make some papercraft from this, especially Atoi and that Pig. :D

Lijik

I just about died at the n64 cartridge, great work on the OT!

I unfortunately wont be able to play this till late december, but let me tell ya this game right here sold me on a vita and I cant wait to play it.

Xeno_V

I was lucky enough to be able to play (and finish) the game already, it was a really great experience. I am using spoiler tags, although there aren't any actual spoilers (about the plot etc), but reading through what follows might ruin the experience for some people, so read at your own risk.

The game might be easy and it doesn't take too many hours to complete (although it is not that short), but going through Iota's journey was an experience that I will remember for quite some time.

The graphics are great and the OLED screen helps to perfectly deliver the colourful and vivid environments that the developers were going for. The soundtrack of the game is even better, it made playing Tearaway a real joy and it's one one the game's strongest points.

The basic gameplay is very simple and the platforming part is easy, but all of Vita's capabilities are utilized pretty well. It might feel a bit gimmicky at times, but the overall balance is definitely good. As you go through the game even when you believe that things won't get more interesting and innovative, it eventually turns out that it's one of the moments that you are glad to be proven wrong.

I have played the majority of the more "artistic" games that were released for Sony platforms and I could compare in a way Tearaway to Journey (quality-wise and maybe concept-wise too). The approach is obviously different, but in the end both are about going through the protagonist's journey. There are several times when you are impressed by the landscapes that you see, and thinking about where you started from and what followed next makes you realize how the game keeps on improving as you move on.

I was lucky enough to be able to play (and finish) the game already, it was a really great experience. I am using spoiler tags, although there aren't any actual spoilers (about the plot etc), but reading through what follows might ruin the experience for some people, so read at your own risk.

Don't you tempt me!

Top Bottom