• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games: The Final PS I Love You XOXO

Alias03

It is a problem when his only credentials is a history degree he got ages ago, a career writing about video games and occasionally mentioning "I love history and politics" on podcasts

If you're going to Colin for politics, then yikes

What's exactly wrong his his credentials? He has a history degree and is talking about history... Seems relevant to me. Even if you disagree with his "credentials" YouTube is a way of hopefully reaching an audience that shares similar interests or passions you have and starting a conversation. Even if you don't agree with the content at least he's trying to start conversation about history.

Gator86

A vast amount of people don't know or care much about a lot of history. If a personality that they enjoy engaging with can present history in ways that are interesting to them, I see no problem with that.

Plus, history is only half of Colin's content. The other half is political and culture reactions, opinions, and discussions and engaging with his viewerbase.

Hopefully anyone who listens to Colin and becomes interested in history actually moves toward an educated professional who is actually informed on the topic afterward. There are incredibly informed, nuanced, and articulate historians out there - Colin is not one of them.

But yeah, it's great he will devote the other half of this show to hot takes about the menace of political correctness. I genuinely expect him to do incredibly well monetarily. There's a voracious appetite out there for people espousing his views.

n051de

I remember giving them listen when they left IGN, never was a fan but crazy to see it's all over now. Ouch Patreon.

JoeNut

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to become a shit show. He's not even there now, so why keep posting shit about him? this thread is about the final show, not about colin.

Justified

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to become a shit show. He's not even there now, so why keep posting shit about him? this thread is about the final show, not about colin.

Its the final show as a direct result of Colin leaving. So the discussion is relevant IMO

I remember giving them listen when they left IGN, never was a fan but crazy to see it's all over now. Ouch Patreon.

Their Patreon's taken a dive, but it's not like they're in dire straits. In terms of popularity/audience it's definitely a sign of people losing interest, but unless they continue to drop drastically, they'll still be making bank.

pelican

I find their material flimsy populated by inaccuracies. Greg Miller in particular is far too hype hype hype.

Also the whole best friends thing is cheesy. Might work on kids and young teens, but I would hope that no rational adult would fall for it.

No idea, but it's rarely people who are active in the EZA OT. If you're in to KF, I wouldn't recommend EZA.

Eh, I disagree. KF and EZA are probably my two favorite gaming groups. They're different, but they both have high energy and are generally optimistic in nature. KF has more juvenile, vulgar, "R rated" humor, whereas EZA has more geeky humor and is family friendly. They seem to be friends as well, and reference each other fairly regularly.

XandBosch

Have you even listened to the final show? colin isn't on it

Have YOU listened to the final show? All the way to the end?

And he's right. The show is ending as a result of Colin leaving. Not bringing him into the discussion would be ignoring the elephant in the room.

Justified

Have you even listened to the final show? colin isn't on it

Ok and, nothing to do with my comment.

It's the final show largely due to the departure of Colin. So the discussion that lead up to the reasoning that this is the final show is relevant

Ending PS I Love You XOXO wasn't an easy decision, but I think it's for the best. This show without Colin wouldn't be the same.

I find their material flimsy populated by inaccuracies. Greg Miller in particular is far too hype hype hype.

Also the whole best friends thing is cheesy. Might work on kids and young teens, but I would hope that no rational adult would fall for it.

Greg's definitely over-positive, and that's why the dynamic with Colin worked, since he brought a more cynical perspective and they could easily play devil's advocate to each other.

The best friends thing worked well when they were just starting out and talked a lot about trading reach for intimacy with their fans, etc. Not in the sense of actually being best friends, but in the sense of how they wanted their content to speak to the audience. That's definitely disappeared though, despite the "Year of the Community" joke.

Hopefully anyone who listens to Colin and becomes interested in history actually moves toward an educated professional who is actually informed on the topic afterward. There are incredibly informed, nuanced, and articulate historians out there - Colin is not one of them.

But yeah, it's great he will devote the other half of this show to hot takes about the menace of political correctness. I genuinely expect him to do incredibly well monetarily. There's a voracious appetite out there for people espousing his views.
You think that Colin isn't articulate? You guys really like dragging the guy down, why not let the man live.

ArmageddB

Don't feed the trolls people. If you ignore them, they get bored and move on. You're not going to change anyone's opinion on Colin.

To those of you lamenting the end of the podcast, if you listen to the episode it sure sounds like many elements of the show will be coming back in some different form.

Don't feed the trolls people. If you ignore them, they get bored and move on. You're not going to change anyone's opinion on Colin.

Nor should it be changed.

Excited to see what Greg has next. I'll for sure check it out.

As for Colin, thrilled he is gone. Towards the end of run on the podcast, he was largely an uninformed Skip Bayless clone who seemed disinterested in gaming in general and would double-down on misinformation or would bizarrely ignore any falsehoods he said no matter the feedback. Like, the podcast literally went months without mentioning the Playstation Pro due to some stupid battle they decided to wage for no good reason at all to the complete detriment of their listeners. Plus, he'd insert whatever dumb wacky political agenda he felt like waging in at inappropriate times. So happy he's now operating in a different part of the internet.

As for the new pod, they desperately need someone knowledgeable and with the time to play current games. XOXO struggled with the fact that Colin was always "tired" or whatever and rarely played new games and Greg was traveling or doing Kinda Funny business and they'd often have massive new releases that didn't "speak to them" or whatever. A third person on the Podcast would be a welcome addition as well.

I wish Greg the best of luck.

As for the new pod, they desperately need someone knowledgeable and with the time to play current games. XOXO struggled with the fact that Colin was always "tired" or whatever and rarely played new games and Greg was traveling or doing Kinda Funny business and they'd often have massive new releases that didn't "speak to them" or whatever. A third person on the Podcast would be a welcome addition as well.

I wish Greg the best of luck.

I feel the same, they need someone who is actually still fairly versed in the video game industry, as I think they've fallen farther and farther out of "the know" and it's shown in their content. They still have some connections, but their insider knowledge that came with the territory in their IGN jobs has seemingly dissipated, and that's a big part of what I loved in the beginning. Combine that with, like you said, them not really playing a lot of games (or if they do, not having much to say about them) and it's made for some pretty yawn-inducing content.

Smokey

The week before he left he had all those interviews too and they were great...He even picked people because they disagreed with him on certain things (like Adam Boyes). Combine that with Colin Was Right, PS I Love You, and the topics he brought up on the other shows and without him KF is just kinda...well its something...I hope they figure it out. Even though Greg and Colin aren't friends anymore I still have a huge soft spot for both of them so, best of luck.

They're not friends anymore?

ajanke

I like playstation the most so this was my go to for playstation podcasts. I sometimes listen to game informer and Easy Allies. But this one was my top. I can't listen to their podcasts or content anymore though most of the time because the other guys don't know jack shit about video games lol.

Spman2099

Just listen to Easy Allies.

Easy Allies are responsible for my top two favorite podcasts, but this comment is completely out of sink with the good vibes of that crew. They aren't about that life.

This sucks for all the fans of PS I Love You. It sorta sucks for everyone, as it means there is less variety. I will happily give Greg's new show a shot when it manifests. Best of luck to the Kinda Funny crew.

KLonso

They're not friends anymore?

Yeah, that's really shocking for me to hear. I remember listening to an episode of Podcast Beyond years ago and hearing Colin (very seriously) saying that he and Greg would be roommates for the rest of their lives

big fake

200.webp

it's not untrue? come on, you can't defend colin in that regard.

Some Nobody

Do you mean...PSILY? Cause everything else is still going strong.

Its rare that I forget this place is terrible, mostly because of posts like this.

Excited to see what Greg has next. I'll for sure check it out.

As for Colin, thrilled he is gone. Towards the end of run on the podcast, he was largely an uninformed Skip Bayless clone who seemed disinterested in gaming in general and would double-down on misinformation or would bizarrely ignore any falsehoods he said no matter the feedback. Like, the podcast literally went months without mentioning the Playstation Pro due to some stupid battle they decided to wage for no good reason at all to the complete detriment of their listeners. Plus, he'd insert whatever dumb wacky political agenda he felt like waging in at inappropriate times. So happy he's now operating in a different part of the internet.

Lmao. What's to mention? They said they weren't interested, but I think both said they'd get one if their current PS4 broke. About as logical an opinion as you're going to get tbh.

So what's a good PlayStation podcast? I tend to spend most of my time on my PS4, and I really appreciated listening to the rundown of all the new game releases. Even though I visit NeoGAF like all the time, I still found out about new things from the podcast. I don't know why they can't do a new PSX podcast but whatever. I still consume as much Kinda Funny as I can, because I find Greg, Tim, and Nick extremely fun to listen to and watch (oh and floating head Kevin too).
Maybe it's just me but I actually still really enjoy the Beyond Podcast a lot, more than I ended up enjoying PS I Love You XOXO. I might be biased because I like the Comedy Button, which Max Scoville and Brian Altano are apart of, but they all have a lot of very friendly banter and their guests are great.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Makes you wonder what the camaraderie was really like between guys off-camera. They were throwing out the "best friends" mantra but behind the scenes maybe they were more business partners than anything. You know what a lot of people tell you about going into business or living with friends.

To be frank, Tim sucks. I've never been a fan of him, and without Colin to sort of rein the conversation towards a central idea/thread, Tim just sort of floats around without realizing what's going on (all the while shouting about Crash or something random).

Greg really needed to pull someone in for the show after Colin left. My first suggestion (in the initial Colin is leaving thread) was Marty Sliva, because I think that he and Greg could produce awesome quality while still providing on-topic talking points.

To be frank, Tim sucks. I've never been a fan of him, and without Colin to sort of rein the conversation towards a central idea/thread, Tim just sort of floats around without realizing what's going on (all the while shouting about Crash or something random).

None of that is true in the slightest.

Some Nobody;237942192
Lmao. What's to mention? They said they weren't interested, but I think both said they'd get one if their current PS4 broke. About as logical an opinion as you're going to get tbh.

The "#1 Playstation Podcast" said many easily provable falsehoods and ranted about the Pro for months. Then, when everyone was yelling about them to actually provide factual information, they straight up ignored the Pro for the months around the release. A brand new mid-gen PS4 console release is huge f'n news and the "#1 PS" podcast straight up ghosted on it. To mislead the listeners was just a weak move for such a massive podcast. They (mostly Colin spearheading this, but Greg was guilty, too) straight up acted like the Pro didn't exist. Then they bitched about not receiving a free one on release to Keighley.

Not wanting the Pro is a 100% fine opinion, but for months their show was dominated by Colin blustering about how massive a mistake the Pro would be and how nobody wanted it. Being wrong is fine, but own up to it. Colin straight up quit Neogaf because of it.

AmyS

I like the discussion late in the podcast about console generations.

https://youtu.be/SizoEoyombE?t=1h43m

(paraphrasing here)

"In ten years, around 2027 we'll have PlayStation 6 by that time"

"then we might be beyond physical media, digital only" "If the U.S. gets fiber networks".

But with PS4 Pro and Scorpio, its iterative mid generation upgrades. Regardless, consoles will be around for a long time.

Overtech

Neo Member
I personally have found KF podcasts a little flavorless since Colin has left. I feel like the podcasts are playing towards a younger audience and maybe I am just aging out of them at 33 years old. Colin always brought a level of seriousness that balanced out the silly quite well. It's just difficult to relate to them now. I'll probably listen to whatever the new podcast is, but for now I've dropped my $10 pledge I had for 3 years.

Thorrgal

It is a problem when his only credentials is a history degree he got ages ago, a career writing about video games and occasionally mentioning "I love history and politics" on podcasts

If you're going to Colin for politics, then yikes

Exactly this. His content is bad. Really, really bad. Just go watch the one about Le Pen...laughable! He has 0 insight into european politics.

His followers think it's good because they are clueles about this topics, but any outsider with a minimun background in politics sees the content for the garbage that it is

Really? I didn't know that. Thought they were for real best friends. Link?

I haven't listened, but I've seen enough people mention it to believe he went into it a bit more in his appearance on The Tom Woods Show. Apparently he more or less says that he and Greg aren't friends anymore on there.

Edit: Listened to a bit, and he mentions how the tweet and Greg's response were "at the nexus of our unraveling" so that's relatively black & white.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I personally have found KF podcasts a little flavorless since Colin has left. I feel like the podcasts are playing towards a younger audience and maybe I am just aging out of them at 33 years old. Colin always brought a level of seriousness that balanced out the silly quite well. It's just difficult to relate to them now. I'll probably listen to whatever the new podcast is, but for now I've dropped my $10 pledge I had for 3 years.

i'd be curious as to what the age range is for patrons in the lower tier subscriptions. i'd guess those skew younger as i'd throw them into the mix as "youtube influencers"

Toe-Knee

Wow the last minute of this podcast is real sad...

I will go back and listen to it. I bailed as soon as it got to the next friend section which is what I've been doing pretty much since day one.

Edit. Just did that. It's pretty sad but it really highlights just how much Colin changed.

Toe-Knee

I've kinda found it to be a little true. He's not as big of a gamer as I would like so he kinda just rambles sometimes because he can't go to deep into the topics. That's why I've stopped listening. :/

Same here. He's the reason I stopped listening to kinda funny.

Liamc723

Exactly this. His content is bad. Really, really bad. Just go watch the one about Le Pen...laughable! He has 0 insight into european politics.

His followers think it's good because they are clueles about this topics, but any outsider with a minimun background in politics sees the content for the garbage that it is

Yup, Colin's Last Stand is terrible.

While not on the same subject, Danny O'Dwyer puts him to shame in terms of both video quality and production values. And Danny gets half the money that Colin does from his own Patreon.

Top Bottom