• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games: The Final PS I Love You XOXO

killroy87

Also the morale of their fanbase is way down. I feel like their are a ton of people who have interest in the company due to the amount of time they devoted to them in the past, but don't enjoy them anymore. The Kinda Funny Reddit page is really negative :/

To be fair, people are taking a massive "Grass is always greener" stance here. Colin was at times an incredibly toxic person not just to the channel, but the games community in general. It's fair to say you enjoyed his more level-headed approach that grounded the others (I agree that that person is needed), but the dude could be a straight up dick.

If Kinda Funny is on a downward trend, it's because the content straight up isn't engaging enough. Their content output is incredibly weak, it's almost all podcasts and live shows, where they just ramble on about the topic of the day (without properly researching the topic of the day). Sites like Giant Bomb and Easy Allies actually play games, and do recurring segments featuring actual games. GB not only Quick Looks almost every game released, but they have recurring segments featuring Yakuza 0, PU Battlegrounds, and special content like Mario Party Party, Demo Derby, Unprofessional Fridays, and so many more. Easy Allies also does a fair amount of Let's Plays, as well as proper Gametrailers-caliber reviews, two gaming podcasts (that aren't split up over multiple days, because who the fuck wants that), each of them are always doing their own long play of a game, they play Tabletop, and even just paint Gundam figures. It's a steady stream of a bunch of different content, featuring a variety of people.

Kinda Funny? I just now took a look over the last month of KFG uploads, and it's literally all Gamescast vids, and three Let's Plays (two of which are Mario Kart, 15 minutes long each). That's all. The last time they did a Let's Play of decent length, it was Mass Effect, which was a sponsored video (the amount of sponsored content KF do is a whole different thing). People might enjoy the Morning Show because of the personalities, but it's truly fluffy content. There's no reason to watch at all, unless you just really enjoy those people that much. They do a yearly live show (great!)...but then they treat it as a weird concert variety hour...and charge money to get in. What?

In the past year they moved to this awesome looking office, with legit production values. But I'd much rather they spend those resources in beefing up the content, and putting some creativity in their output. There's a reason people sing the praises of sites like Easy Allies, and it's because the passion shines through despite them working out of their living rooms and use cheap Blue mics.

CamHostage

Smart to end the show. Clean break, start fresh again. PS I Love You was those two guys, continuing on and reforging new chemistry under the name of a show from a bond of two dudes who lived together just doesn't fit. Greg's good at starting things up, I'm not sure what the format or host will be but I wish the project well.

no a lot of people on GAF gave him shit for his questionable opinions on things unrelated to video games

Plenty of people gave Colin shit for his opinions related to video games as well.

I like the guy, but even when I agreed with his opinions I felt like the opposing side was getting short shrift.

They need to bring in someone with opposing opinions

It would help. It's easy to get insular, especially when you depend on the people you're friendly with on-air to also run a business. That said, bringing on somebody new would be very difficult for chemistry, so it's not easy.

Every single Gamecast/GameOverGreggy for the last few months when Colin was on it was clear he wasn't interested anymore and was dragging the Podcast down, Its hard losing a member in your Podcast especially one you bounce off on I think it will improve once they get another member.

That's kind of what I remember people saying when news broke that he left, that it was clear Colin had already checked out. I'm surprised people are saying the other shows have visibly changed since then; I feel like it's more that the network is under closer scrutiny now, looking for differences or just noticing what previously flowed without evaluation. There's certainly a missing element of the clash that Colin could bring, and his sense of humor and style of delivery was a little different, so that being missing is a big gap, but the idea that it's more or less rambly without him around I don't think has anything to do with anything.

Definitely a noticeable dip, i didnt agree with his politics, but he always offered an outlier view on games that tim or greg would then have to challenge, it made for good listening. I loved beyond because for the most part he was very well informed on the news. The gamescast feels like its devolved into greg rambling too fast about a game and tim just listing upcoming 2017 titles. Colin, as controversial as he is, created good and well thought out conversation on those shows

newjeruse

PS ILY started off well but actually got stale over the last 6 months. Any type of third chair scenario would have broken up their tendency to reprise the same arguments show after show. Also, segments where they list new releases and trophies? Kinda lame in this day and age.

Colin was becoming bad for the show. He made lazy, oftentimes factually incorrect arguments and was quite confrontational with guests who didn't agree with him. Him leaving was good for Kinda Funny overall.

The problem is that they didn't replace him with someone who balances out Tim and Greg. Tim and Greg are very positive and enthusiastic about everything, and also very surface-level in their discussions about games specifically. They need someone who is knowledgeable and differs from them.

Agreed. Colin forced me to stop listening but they definitely need a Austin Walker/ Patrick Klepek type to balance them out.

Having said that, I've found the past months gamescast to be enjoyable and they've had great guests.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Agreed. Colin forced me to stop listening but they definitely need a Austin Walker/ Patrick Klepek type to balance them out.

Having said that, I've found the past months gamescast to be enjoyable and they've had great guests.

Yup the weeks where they have a guest have been good. I kind of hate when the guest is a random patron though.

Just listen to Easy Allies.

Easy allies is all about love and respect. You are showing neither of those characteristics with your comment.

If nothing else easy allies probably would not exist without kinda funny. Kinda funny brought Brandon onto there set and showed him the sort of set up he would need. Tim urges him to start a patreon.
At kinda funny live 2 they brought brandon on stage and Colin kept talking about how much he liked easy allies.

Podcast beyond was an institution in the world of podcasts. It's easily one of the most important video game podcasts. Podcast beyond was a refined and detail oriented show that wasn't afraid to talk about super niche things in a time when other shows were just running down headlines. Ps I love you became the number one playstation podcast before they even uploaded there first episode. All they had posted was the mp3 of the intro song, let that sink in.

All of that being said I ask that you pease act like a human being and allow others to remorse the end of a legacy.

L&R

Regardles of what happened, it was clear to me that Colin was burned out of games for the last year and it hurt the quality of the show. You can't have gaming podcasts when one of the members is no longer playing them. He even mentioned on Twitter that he hasn't played video games since he left Kinda Funny so his heart is not in games anymore. Colin was always cynical but he backed them by actually playing the games. You can't be an aggressive critic without playing the game it felt forced and often erroneous.

Yeah, agreed. I don't think history can be re-written: a lot of people were very critical of Colin's gaming coverage over the past year or so. It's clear now he was done -- mentally and emotionally.

But I feel so many were critical because many of us had spent years listening to peak Colin, and when he was on form he was fantastic.

I, like some others in this thread, don't really have much interest in Kinda Funny without Colin. I like Greg a lot and wish all of the team the very best, but as others have said Colin humanised the content and crucially brought a level of understanding and knowledge that, frankly, his former colleagues don't share.

Yeah count me in the group who just can't really get into Kinda Funny anymore now that Colin has left.

Don't get me wrong Colin would annoy the shit out of me sometimes but him and Greg had an interesting balance between the two and when they were on content together it just kinda clicked.

Staf

I miss Colin. I especially miss Colin and Greg together. They were a great ying and yang. Have basically stopped watching now that he is gone.

baberunisei

Easy allies is all about love and respect. You are showing neither of those characteristics with your comment.

If nothing else easy allies probably would not exist without kinda funny. Kinda funny brought Brandon onto there set and showed him the sort of set up he would need. Tim urges him to start a patreon.
At kinda funny live 2 they brought brandon on stage and Colin kept talking about how much he liked easy allies.

Podcast beyond was an institution in the world of podcasts. It's easily one of the most important video game podcasts. Podcast beyond was a refined and detail oriented show that wasn't afraid to talk about super niche things in a time when other shows were just running down headlines. Ps I love you became the number one playstation podcast before they even uploaded there first episode. All they had posted was the mp3 of the intro song, let that sink in.

All of that being said I ask that you pease act like a human being and allow others to remorse the end of a legacy.

L&R

This summarizes what I think.

Colin and Greg are probably the most important dudes in the history of videogame podcasts. So much influence. It's really sad to see their podcast end. Hope the best to them and also the other KF guys. Gonna keep following any video game related show they decide to make.

Lothars

Colin and Greg are probably the most important dudes in the history of videogame podcasts. So much influence. .
That's not even remotely true, they definitely deserve some recognition but i can name way more influential podcasters. It sucks the show is ending though

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Any remaining respect and goodwill I had for Colin went out of the window when he offered signed pictures of his offensive tweet as a patreon reward.

meanspartan

Colin have you played the latest game this week? *Why yes I have..half an hour of it its ok I guess, but games these days are not as good NOW MEGAMAN that was a good game!* *That is great and all but what about this political topic"
Every single Gamecast/GameOverGreggy for the last few months when Colin was on it was clear he wasn't interested anymore and was dragging the Podcast down, Its hard losing a member in your Podcast especially one you bounce off on I think it will improve once they get another member.

It is indeed true that he lost some passion the last couple of months, but I still loved PSILY, and his knowledge about Playstation is unrivaled.

Besides, if you have been listening to Colin for a while, you know he has period where he isn't feeling gaming as much, but he falls back in hard. Colin Was Right was a great example of this, those interviews he did were so good I am sad he left soon after and we won't get more.

meanspartan

Man, I can't think of a single gaming podcast that can fucking touch Beyond with Greg, Colin, and Goldfarb. Not a single fucking one

It is the undeniable GOAT to me. Their Beyond was always good, but right around 2011 until 2013 (when Clements was fired right after the ps4 reveal event) was a god damn golden age.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Colin is a piece of shit and it legitimately depresses me that he accounted for that much of their patreon

I don't think there would have been such a dip if he hadn't consciously framed himself as a victim of political correctness or whatever--like, if he was truthful about leaving because he was burned out or bored then it wouldn't have impacted KFG nearly as much.

Temascos

Neo Member
I really liked PSILYXOXO for a good while, but as they kept doing weekly episodes rather than monthly the content got boring for me after a while, while there's always a lot happening in the games industry doing a focused podcast on one particular company each week just didn't have enough interesting things to talk about.

Plus there were moments when I got frustrated with how they often did long tangents about ordering food or whatever, I felt like screaming "Edit this damnit!"

And finally, there's Colin deciding to be a complete idiot with his political stuff. I understand differing beliefs, heck there's a great point of discussion to be had with how it affects the industry and the people but when it's just trolling and antagonising people something's gonna give.

itshutton

Sadly, I haven't really listened much since Colin left. There's a big lack of diversity of opinion. If they're not hiring someone new, I would be very surprised.

jono51

Banned
Another casualty of this election if you think about it. Trump has broken apart families, friends, and podcasts by friends.

In a lot of respects though, I am glad he is off the podcast. The thing that annoyed me most was how he talked shit about the PS4 Pro, completely ignoring the fact that we paid him (and the others) to talk positively about Sony.

Poutine

Banned
I remember the days and weeks following Colin's departure how Tim had this attitude and smug look on his face that everything would be fine without Colin. Greg also had this kinda attitude that first week or two.

Kinda funny how they thought wrong.

Nick is the only one who looked genuinely sad about losing Colin. Almost thought he was gonna tear up on that aftermath show. He's really the only other person I find entertaining at KF. They are lucky he's still around. Kevin, Tim, Cool Greg dont cut it. Andy is still finding his stride. Greg Miller has his new wife to thank to get his mind off all the negativity lately but I really dont think the sinking ship has a chance to recover no matter what plans they have post Kinda Funny Live 3.

Simply No Colin no Kinda Funny.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I remember the days and weeks following Colin's departure how Tim had this attitude and smug look on his face that everything would be fine without Colin. Greg also had this kinda attitude that first week or two.

Nick is the only one who looked genuinely sad about losing Colin. Almost thought he was gonna tear up on that aftermath show. He's really the only other person I find entertaining at KF. They are lucky he's still around. Kevin, Tim, Cool Greg dont cut it. Andy is still finding his stride. Greg Miller has his new wife to thank to get his mind off all the negativity lately but I really dont think the sinking ship has a chance to recover no matter what plans they have post Kinda Funny Live 3.

I think your personal dislike for the other members of the group has created some weird narrative in your head here.

Moosichu

c737e408b3925f79109fbbe437cb61fe.jpg

Roufianos

I haven't listened to them since Colin left. Greg and Tim are good as hosts and have enthusiasm but that's about it, Colin was the only one who had anything insightful to say.

zkorejo

Everyone who said Collin was negative and brought the show down, I disagree with that. In fact to me personally Collin made it a much better show. He used to bring in different perspectives into the discussion which made it much more interesting. If you dont have two different perspectives then it is not an argument or an interesting discussion... more like 30 minutes of circle-jerk.

I started watching because of just Greg but slowly I became a Collin fan. So much so, I started not watching any videos he was not in. I stopped watching after Collin left because it just doesnt feel like KF anymore to me.

People handle grief differently. Why analyse their body language and coping responses like that and just assume the worst of it? Do you really believe they have some kind of snide intentions? NEWS FLASH: A LOT of people use humor to cope and lighten the mood. Greg cried saying "sorry, i love you" to him at the end of his last GoG for fucks sake.

Ellite25

It's sad seeing how all of this messed up Greg and Colin's friendship. They seemed for a while like they were inseparable. It's crazy to look back on everything to see how it played out. How ultimately when they decided to venture out from IGN and do their own thing it also meant an end to their long time friendship, at least as far as we know.

zsynqx

Any remaining respect and goodwill I had for Colin went out of the window when he offered signed pictures of his offensive tweet as a patreon reward.
It sucks.

I was a big fan of the dude, even when I often disagreed with his opinions. Now he's just become obnoxious.

Another casualty of this election if you think about it. Trump has broken apart families, friends, and podcasts by friends.

In a lot of respects though, I am glad he is off the podcast.The thing that annoyed me most was how he talked shit about the PS4 Pro, completely ignoring the fact that we paid him (and the others) to talk positively about Sony

Is this a joke?

Maximo

What's crazy is Colin is almost making that much by himself.

When the narrative makes you "look" like the victim, especially one who says he fights back against the *overly sensitive and the far left* in these political times it makes for some good money if your well known in a industry that is male dominated.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It sucks.

I was a big fan of the dude, even when I often disagreed with his opinions. Now he's just become obnoxious

Yea same, was always a fan but in the last 6 months it required more and more effort to ignore his ignorant and offensive viewpoints. It seems the fans he acquired from KF's success really let his ego off the leash. Shame.

When the narrative makes you "look" like the victim, especially one who says he fights back against the *overly sensitive and the far left* in these political times it makes for some good money if your well known in a industry that is male dominated.

He became incapable of admitting that he was wrong, which was plain to see in the PSILY thread when he threw a tantrum and left GAF. Then there was the tweet.

Since Colin left I've enjoyed their Games Cast a lot, with all the special guests they have had on lately, I'm cool if that carries on.

Before Colin left, you could tell he wasn't that interested in gaming like he used to be, as he wanted to do his politics and other things so I'm glad he left to do what he wanted to do.

Markitron

Since Colin left I've enjoyed their Games Cast a lot, with all the special guests they have had on lately, I'm cool if that carries on.

Before Colin left, you could tell he wasn't that interested in gaming like he used to be, as he wanted to do his politics and other things so I'm glad he left to do what he wanted to do.

It was amazing how often he shoe-horned his political opinions into a games-focused podcast. It's bound to come up naturally at some point but I couldn't tell you how many times I heard him talk about being the only republican in the games industry, and I didn't watch the GOG show (only the gamescast and PSILY).

Podcast and KF in general was going to pot even when Colin was there (he seemed apathetic to everything) but now with him gone it's even more prevalent.

I won't deny that I really do miss Colin's voice and the banter/chemistry with Greg.
Tim and Greg is too much of the same.

Hope they have a new podcast format that works better than PSILY.

Great post.
Their YT page is simply boring af now.

The Gamescast as well seems to be a few weeks behind the gaming news (I get patreons get early access) but they cover topics 2-3 weeks old at times which just leaves me feeling meh as I've listened to others cover the same stuff.

Ultimately though, none of this matters as they are more beholden to their patreons who seem to be perfectly fine with how things are going which is fair enough on their part.

Feels weird to see it end, but it's nice that Greg got Dunham to show up. I've been listening to these guys since the early Beyond days, and the only Sony system I owned back then was a PSP, I only bought a PS3 around 2010, lol.
I stopped listening last year because of Colin but it's still bittersweet. I look forward to what Greg has in store next.

It was amazing how often he shoe-horned his political opinions into a games-focused podcast. It's bound to come up naturally at some point but I couldn't tell you how many times I heard him talk about being the only republican in the games industry, and I didn't watch the GOG show (only the gamescast and PSILY).

Yeah, as someone interested in games and have very little interest in politics, I did find it became annoying and for me, KF has been better without all that.

ironmang

Just listen to Easy Allies.

Why do fans of that podcast use any excuse to practically beg for new listeners?

PS I Love You was my second favorite gaming podcast after Beyond so I'm sad to see it go. What are some other good Playstation/gaming podcasts that could help fill the void? Easy Allies is decent, but not as good as the others.

I'm wondering the same thing. Something weekly around 1-1.5 hours would be ideal.

EmiPrime

KF having really nice sets and equipment is just putting lipstick on a pig. Everything they put out is minimally researched and edited, it's just a bunch of guys having an uncut conversation and maybe once a week a video with actual game footage will get uploaded. Good for them for ditching Colin but their content remains low quality.

I loved Beyond back in its heyday (I wasn't there for the Clements era, but Miller, Moriarty and Goldfarb together was gold), and I watched a lot of PS I Love You to begin with. But two things happened...

1. Easy Allies.
2. Colin just seemed to stop caring.

I really valued Colin's opinions back in the day, and always found him to be an engaging presence, but clearly somewhere along the line he just fell out of love with his hobby. He was playing less games but still forming (shoddy) opinions of them, cynicism was setting in and ehhh... the podcast lost me as a result.

It's a shame these things have to come to an end, but nothing good ever lasts forever, and so it's probably for the best that the podcast is put to an end. It was always about Greg and Colin anyway, so without one or the other, you don't really have the show that people crave anymore. It's kinda painful really when you think back on the last Beyond podcast they did for IGN and how emotional they got to be leaving it. Now they're not even together discussing games in front of a camera anymore.

Top Bottom