• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schrade

josephdebono said:
What's that? Never seen anything like that.
I think it's a West Coast thing.

Its-Its are awesome, though. The description of what it is is on the bottom of the wrapper in the pic.

Is there any sat-nav software for Android where you can pre-install the maps, as opposed to relying on an internet connection to receive map data?

Driving home recently and went through parts of the country where mobile reception does not exist, Google Maps wasn't so handy then!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ZZMitch said:
Gaf, what do you think they will call the next software update after gingerbread?

I have been thinking about it... hot chocolate maybe? Hazelnut? I dunno :lol

Spotted_Dick475.jpg

No competition.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I read a rumour somewhere that Google is planning to remove custom manufacturer UI's with Gingerbread - does anyone know how valid this is? To me it makes sense, as their biggest development hurdle right now is fragmentation, removing custom UI's could make it easier for Google to develop updates for pretty much all the phones.

The only thing that worries me with getting an Android phone is being left behind when it comes to OS updates. My gf has the Hero and given that its still stuck on 1.5 (not for much loger hopefully) its annoying how many new features she is missing out on.

I'll probably be getting the Desire come July/August, but rooting and installing plain ol' Android is something I'll look into if I feel I'm being left behind in the OS stakes. Stopping custom UIs would be one way to ensure people stay up to date, but of course then you have the dreaded operator's custom firmwares to deal with!

Pimpwerx

Swype is awesome. I only use it in portrait mode though, and with two hands. The Evo screen is big enough, I can't do it single-handedly. It's awesome though. I wish I could set it as default for portrait and use the standard Sense keyboard in landscape mode. PEACE

Dommel

Kinitari said:
I read a rumour somewhere that Google is planning to remove custom manufacturer UI's with Gingerbread - does anyone know how valid this is? To me it makes sense, as their biggest development hurdle right now is fragmentation, removing custom UI's could make it easier for Google to develop updates for pretty much all the phones.

They're not planning to remove custom UI's but to improve the default UI so that there would be less need for a 3rd party to develop their own.

tabsina

Dommel said:
They're not planning to remove custom UI's but to improve the default UI so that there would be less need for a 3rd party to develop their own.

It is a shame that manufacturers such as HTC most likely won't let go, I hope there will be a way for us to simply choose in the future whether we want to use stock or desire rom, in an official way, rather than getting custom made roms, because sense ui isn't worth delayed updates

andycapps

Pimpwerx said:
Swype is awesome. I only use it in portrait mode though, and with two hands. The Evo screen is big enough, I can't do it single-handedly. It's awesome though. I wish I could set it as default for portrait and use the standard Sense keyboard in landscape mode. PEACE

I like Swype and I left it installed but I ended up going back to the Sense keyboard. I'm really fast with it and with the time I was having to "swype" across the screen and then tell it what word I wanted half the time I could have already been done with the sentence with the regular keyboard. It definitely seems faster in certain cases, and yeah, portrait is definitely one of them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kinitari said:
They would then be invalidating several dozen other home replacement apps on the marketplace and backtracking on one of the intents of making Android open source in the first place. I don't see it happening.

Davidion

If they're going to attempt to marginalize the importance of manufacturer UIs, then I imagine that they'd have to do it through incentives and building the OS in such a way where the UIs will be more of a customizable skin and won't interfere with the ability to upgrade the OS.

That's all in an ideal world, anyhow.

SimleuqiR

Google Translate, Listen, and Sky Map just recently updated on the Market...

Sky Map has "Move to sdcard" option for 2.2 users :D

Looks like Google is getting ready to release Froyo soon.

sionyboy said:
Is there any sat-nav software for Android where you can pre-install the maps, as opposed to relying on an internet connection to receive map data?

Driving home recently and went through parts of the country where mobile reception does not exist, Google Maps wasn't so handy then!

yeah, im curious on this too

The problem isn't the UI's, it is the changes the companies make the the framework. If they would just do Blur or Sense similar to how the replacements in the Market work there wouldn't be a problem. Unless I am way off base.

Pimpwerx said:

I'm getting used to swype and liking it a lot. I can be pretty fast and it's nice to type one handed. Sometimes it defeats the purpose, since I proofread or it messes up and I have to try again or do some editing...but I'm not giving up. I really like it, and I was very hesitant and resistive to the idea before. Good thing I gave it a shot. It feels like the future, I want it for my PC somehow.

thaOwner

The Friendly Monster said:
Swype is so good. Showed it to work mates in the pub and they were absolutely blown away.
How are you guys able to get it work so well ? For whatever reason. It doesn't work for me at all.

Edit: Never mind works like a charm now.

skybaby said:
Not sure it's been posted before but mozilla has been doing nightly builds of Fennec: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/latest-mobile-trunk/
There's even a Windows version, so try it to look for changes before installing! I'm currently rocking the build from a couple days ago and it's much better than the original one from April.

Can you explain what this does better that the Dolphin browser..

The Friendly Monster said:
Swype is so good. Showed it to work mates in the pub and they were absolutely blown away.

Try typing the word "someone" with swype. It's so fun it's like you're doing laps around the keyboard once you get fast enough.

question,

I went to a restaurant and they had a sticker with a boardcode looking thing on it for you to scan. It said "find us in your favorites" with google in big words on the stick as well. What app on the phone are you supposed to scan the barecode with and how does this work exactly?

Kinitari said:
Either that or give us the option to disable the manufacturer stuff and go full on with the Android OS.

Mustaphadamus said:
question,

I went to a restaurant and they had a sticker with a boardcode looking thing on it for you to scan. It said "find us in your favorites" with google in big words on the stick as well. What app on the phone are you supposed to scan the barecode with and how does this work exactly?

Probably a QR code, which you can use Barcode Scanner or Google Goggles for.

Jayge

I have never felt more idiotic than I did this afternoon. I spent 4 hours trying to root my evo and it kicked my ass. Gonna reset and go for round 2 tomorrow.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kinitari said:

Absolutely no chance that's happening.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has Froyo improved general performance on powerful devices?

I used 2.1 over the weekend on an overclocked Droid and I've used a Nexus One and both of them seem to struggle with smooth scrolling. Simply flicking through home screen pages, scrolling along webpages or maps, or doing any other OS tasks is a choppy experience.

It looks nice and I like the functionality, but the high refresh rate of the iPhone makes it feel so much snappier.

Does Froyo actually improve such performance on such devices? Are there any Android phones capable of proper 60 fps scrolling? Phones like Nexus One seem quite powerful (more so than the iPhone 3GS, for instance), but the OS appears to be holding it back.

gcubed

dark10x said:

I used 2.1 over the weekend on an overclocked Droid and I've used a Nexus One and both of them seem to struggle with smooth scrolling. Simply flicking through home screen pages, scrolling along webpages or maps, or doing any other OS tasks is a choppy experience.

It looks nice and I like the functionality, but the high refresh rate of the iPhone makes it feel so much snappier.

Does Froyo actually improve such performance on such devices? Are there any Android phones capable of proper 60 fps scrolling? Phones like Nexus One seem quite powerful (more so than the iPhone 3GS, for instance), but the OS appears to be holding it back.

it definitely improves performance, but not sure on the home screen side of things. I think its a function of the launcher. If you use launcher pro its infinitely more smooth then google's main launcher (on 2.1)

tfur

dark10x said:

Froyo is much faster than 2.1. It was a night and day difference for me, but I use my phone constantly... so others may not notice that much difference. Remember that Froyo made the full 512MB of RAM available on the Nexus One. I believe the 30fps cap is only on the Evo. Also, AMOLED screens will have a faster response than LCD.

Here is a little clip from the dev conference, showing javascript/web browser performance. Froyo on the left, 2.1 in the middle, and an ipad on the right. Froyo really shines with web browsing. I have also found the Flash support to be really useful, especially during e3 and world cup. You just have to use flash "on demand" plugin use, so as to only load what you want and not 10 adds per page etc.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/20/android-froyo-speed-ipad/

From my observations, the battery life with Froyo has improved.

Fantasmo

dark10x said:

Yes it has. Not by a country mile, but a noticeable improvement.

Home screen still isn't as snappy. But Launcher Pro (free on the Market) fixes this and makes home screens and the app list very smooth and fast.

I recommend everyone with an Android phone get Launcher Pro. It's that good.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good widget for my text messages? I love the handcent UI and would love for one of my screens to be completely dedicated to just text messages.

Gabyskra

Banned
Hilbert said:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good widget for my text messages? I love the handcent UI and would love for one of my screens to be completely dedicated to just text messages.

Some people like ChompSMS donate version for its widget...

junkster said:

Home screen still isn't as snappy. But Launcher Pro (free on the Market) fixes this and makes home screens and the app list very smooth and fast.

I already tried that mess. It took minutes to add apps to the home page and often force closed when going in between apps and moving to landscape. I experienced problems that I never had while using the stock launcher. I unistalled it and wont be using any others.

tabsina

junkster said:

thanks, works great - one issue i have with it is due to the style of my scrolling through the app drawer.. i'll flick, but keep my finger on the screen - with stock (ie. sense) it didn't do anything, but with launcher pro, it thinks i'm trying to 'pick up' an app to put it on the home screen, i guess i can used to that though

Pimpwerx

Tinkered with Froyo for an hour or so just now. It's neat. The 3D menu is awesome. I thought 2.1 was supposed to have that. I can't wait for that. The speed increase I only noticed in the browser, but I didn't stick around long enough really. No camera means I'll wait longer. I'll stick with a custom 2.1 ROM instead. Gonna flash the wireless-n patch now. PEACE.

Thoughts on the Kobo app? It's disgustingly iPhone, from it's squished low res section buttons to the also low res iPhone style search bar, and seems to have some performance issues (can be slow turning pages, for one) but I didn't have issues like force close or trouble getting it to turn pages like others say in the app store.

I was going to use it to buy a book for tomorrow (girl with the dragon tattoo) but I don't know if I trust it. It's clearly an afterthought app, slapped together in less than a week for Android but it's not like I have Kindle or Google Editions to choose instead right now.

Gamble on quality or not...

P.s. After a few more days with Swype...when it works, it really works. Not only is it fast, it's just so convenient to type messages without having to lift your thumb, one handed. But a lot of times it gets words wrong and I spend time correcting it, or I think it's all good but don't trust it so proofread my messages (and often have to make a correction or two) which kind of defeats the speed and ease of use purposes. Giving it more time to see how it works out, but I don't feel like it's complete or ready for primetime.

Jayge

Gabyskra said:
Some people like ChompSMS donate version for its widget...
There is no ChompSMS donate version. Just an option in-program to donate via paypal and remove ads. Otherwise all functionality is the same.

Muerte_X

ChackanKun said:
Forget the T9 request, what I want is this:

32.png

Dunno what it's called :S

Do you have Sense UI? It has the phone keypad style keyboard built into it, with or without predictive text.

If not, search around android forums or XDA for the HTC_IME. It's a version ported to non SenseUI android phones.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
ChackanKun said:
Forget the T9 request, what I want is this:

http://betterandroid.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/32.png[IMG]

Dunno what it's called :S[/QUOTE]
That looks so crummy. It's called Better Keyboard and its on the [URL="http://betterandroid.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/better-keyboard-5-0-is-released/"]site [/URL]you got the image from...

Killthee said:
That looks so crummy. It's called Better Keyboard and its on the site you got the image from...

Can't find it in the Market.

Muerte_X said:
Do you have Sense UI? It has the phone keypad style keyboard built into it, with or without predictive text.

If not, search around android forums or XDA for the HTC_IME. It's a version ported to non SenseUI android phones.

I tried, but it always crashes after installing :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom