• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayge said:
Even I am not that paranoid, holy shit. Why the need for so much secrecy?

Dude I own an EVO. People wanna hold that sexy beast. I'd rather not have them snooping their nose where it doesn't belong, along with other obvious benefits.

Jayge

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Dude I own an EVO. People wanna hold that sexy beast. I'd rather not have them snooping their nose where it doesn't belong, along with other obvious benefits.
See, nobody touches my shit unless I trust them with it and anyone I trust with it I don't need to worry about. Don't let strangers be touching your evo.

b.e.r.g

Jamesfrom818 said:
The change from the sun to the moon is pretty slow in Fancy Widget. At 8:30 PM, it was still showing the sun.
Sun sets at 10:30 PM here :D That kind of info should come with your location though...

Jamesfrom818 said:
Well the widget takes weather info from weather.com and it says yesterday's sunset was at 8:05
Well what's your refresh rate set at? Obviously the app isn't updating every second, bro. I have mine set to update hourly.

@Andrex: Yes. And its very smooth.

RJNavarrete said:
Well what's your refresh rate set at? Obviously the app isn't updating every second, bro. I have mine set to update hourly.

I went into the widget and manually refreshed it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RJNavarrete said:

Cool, thanks. :D I take it stock builds of the homescreen still don't respond to the accelerometer though? :p

Epix

Does anyone know of a good photo album widget that works similar to the one that comes with Sense? I just want it to show a single picture from my gallery on the home screen and when I tap it I get launched in to view the entire album. Everything I can find is like a live slide show widget. I'm just looking for something with the same functionality as the photo album widget included with Sense.

teiresias

So I have my personal default Sense UI "Scene" set up how I like it on my EVO, but I just loaded Launcher Pro Beta and, wow, I really like!! The "zoom in" effect on everything is really slick and fast, and it actually seems smoother on the device than either Sense or the standard Android launcher.

Unfortunately, I've come to like quite a few of the Sense-based widgets. Namely, the contacts widget where I can dedicate the screen to a 3x3 grid of my "Favorites" contacts. Does anyone know of a good replacement widget for this for use on something other than Sense. That's about the one widget I really would want to have outside of Sense. Otherwise, Launcher Pro is right up my alley right now.

Epix

teiresias said:
So I have my personal default Sense UI "Scene" set up how I like it on my EVO, but I just loaded Launcher Pro Beta and, wow, I really like!! The "zoom in" effect on everything is really slick and fast, and it actually seems smoother on the device than either Sense or the standard Android launcher.

Unfortunately, I've come to like quite a few of the Sense-based widgets. Namely, the contacts widget where I can dedicate the screen to a 3x3 grid of my "Favorites" contacts. Does anyone know of a good replacement widget for this for use on something other than Sense. That's about the one widget I really would want to have outside of Sense. Otherwise, Launcher Pro is right up my alley right now.
Just create a shortcut to the contact on your home screen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't take the android keyboard any more. Its so ridiculously pathetic and inadequate compared to its iPhone counterpart that its painful. I took the ridiculous step of actually purchasing a frickin keyboard app for three bucks (better keyboard) in the hopes that it would compare somewhat to what iPhone does, but no dice. Im doing my first refund. What do you guys without a hardware keyboard do? After two years on iPhone, typing on this shit keyboard plain sucks. If I had never been exposed to iPhone maybe I wouldn't mind, but dammit, I can't ignore the ridiculous substitutions. The dumb lack of autocorrect on obvious words, etc. I can't even go in and edit the dictionary and get rid of stupid words ill never use? Shit.

VanMardigan said:
I can't take the android keyboard any more. Its so ridiculously pathetic and inadequate compared to its iPhone counterpart that its painful. I took the ridiculous step of actually purchasing a frickin keyboard app for three bucks (better keyboard) in the hopes that it would compare somewhat to what iPhone does, but no dice. Im doing my first refund. What do you guys without a hardware keyboard do? After two years on iPhone, typing on this shit keyboard plain sucks. If I had never been exposed to iPhone maybe I wouldn't mind, but dammit, I can't ignore the ridiculous substitutions. The dumb lack of autocorrect on obvious words, etc. I can't even go in and edit the dictionary and get rid of stupid words ill never use? Shit.
Swype

snacknuts

we all knew her
VanMardigan said:

Someone needs to fix your tag.

At any rate, I switched from an iPhone to a Droid and I prefer even the stock Android keyboard. However, I have been using Swype for a couple months now and can't imagine going back to the iPhone's keyboard under any circumstances or the default Android keyboard. I even prefer it to the hard keyboard on the phone.

VanMardigan said:

What phone have you got? I installed the HTC one to my N1. Would like to get Swype though.

gcubed

VanMardigan said:

use swype, you can get it even if you aren't in the beta. I've used it since the beta came out and i will buy it day 1 once it releases for sale

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Andrex said:
Wait, 2.2 does have it? That's what I'm asking about.
Do the homescreens rotate to landscape, you mean? No, not from I what I'm seeing in 2.2. If there's a setting for it, I haven't found it yet.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
gcubed said:
use swype, you can get it even if you aren't in the beta. I've used it since the beta came out and i will buy it day 1 once it releases for sale

How do you get it?

VanMardigan said:

The stock keyboard kinda sucks. The HTC keyboard is the best virtual keyboard there is.

snacknuts

we all knew her
VanMardigan said:
I hope you are not saying what I think you are saying.

I think I might be. Who knows, I have been using Swype since the third week or so that I got the Droid. If I were to compare the stock Android keyboard to the iPhone keyboard, I might not view it so favorably anymore.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
I hope you are not saying what I think you are saying.
I moved from iPhone straight to Nexus 1 and I can't say I see a big difference in stock soft keyboard usability either. Perhaps it's because the superior predictive text implementation on Android compensates, but I can't really say I've seen a big difference in my ability to peck at virtual keys on an N1 vs. an iPhone.

Zeppu

People who diss the android keyboard are just too scared when they hit the wrong letter.

KEEP TYPING GODDAMMIT - EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!

jayb

ESPN Scorecenter app is available now.

...and it's not as good as the iphone version (laggy and no swipe to switch panels). Lazy devs. :(

skybaby

If you don't like swype, use the HTC hacked keyboard (just google it, it's on XDA). I love swype but it's not in my native language. In the hacked HTC keyboard I can just swype up to change input languages. So awesome.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The two aren't even close. Pecking away works on iPhone, but is disastrous on my N1. I don't know if its touch screen sensitivity, a more narrow screen, terrible substitutions that require much more editing after the pecking is done, or a combination of all those things, but the experience is so much more inferior on my N1.

I just emailed the BK dev to see if he accepts suggestions or not, and landscape is more tolerable, but even typing this post was a terrible experience for me.

I have the benefit of having used an iphone for two years and still having access to a 3gs. This isn't a preference thing. One is obviously better, though I'm off to try swipe. *crosses fingers*

Edit: I'm using swype right now and I'm impressed. Let's see how it holds up over time. Typing this was effortless.

gcubed

VanMardigan said:
The two aren't even close. Pecking away works on iPhone, but is disastrous on my N1. I don't know if its touch screen sensitivity, a more narrow screen, terrible substitutions that require much more editing after the pecking is done, or a combination of all those things, but the experience is so much more inferior on my N1.

I just emailed the BK dev to see if he accepts suggestions or not, and landscape is more tolerable, but even typing this post was a terrible experience for me.

I have the benefit of having used an iphone for two years and still having access to a 3gs. This isn't a preference thing. One is obviously better, though I'm off to try swipe. *crosses fingers*

Edit: I'm using swype right now and I'm impressed. Let's see how it holds up over time. Typing this was effortless.

swype is easily the best keyboard to use on a phone. thumb or finger pecking is out

can someone tell me what the version of swype is that is in the open beta? I just updated it yesterday, not sure if its exactly the same version

teiresias

Installed Swype today, this is the most amazing thing ever - wow. I do find I have to think a bit more actively, since I'm used to touch typing, swiping around the keyboard causes me to actually think about where a letter is on the keyboard - something I don't even think about when typing. That's muscle memory for you.

This really is a great thing though, I'll definitely be buying it when it gets out of beta. Just wish there was a voice-to-text button or gesture or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom