• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigswords

rpmurphy said:
Milestone XT720 will have it as well.

Galaxy S has one as well, also it has DNLA (wireless) to stream video to any DNLA Samsung TV also it has the ability to become a remote control to any DNLA Samsung TV as well.

skrew

Banned
I really hope that the whole AdMob not being allowed on iOS thing makes google even more aggressive with Android. Not necessarily in how fast they pump out updates but introducing more disruptive tech to the base Android OS. Someone in google must feel validated to see their reason for creating an open mobile OS come true.

andycapps

Pimpwerx said:
I'm with Sprint. How long can ringtones be? I thought it was 30 seconds. PEACE.

Are you talking about with making them with Ringdroid? I don't seem to have had any issues making them over that time limit. I just made the sections I wanted anyway and don't remember it cutting them off. Works great. (EVO btw)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The stock Android music app lets you set any song on the phone as a ringtone and doesn't seem to have any time restrictions, so I'm guessing the limit on ringtone length is a lot longer than 30 seconds, if there even is a limit.

gcubed

andycapps said:
Are you talking about with making them with Ringdroid? I don't seem to have had any issues making them over that time limit. I just made the sections I wanted anyway and don't remember it cutting them off. Works great. (EVO btw)

yup, i would recommend ringdroid to make it on the phone, real real easy, but i havent hit a limit on them

Pimpwerx

Titanium Backup REQUIRES ROOT from what I understand, but is actually a great backup tool to use before you root...?

How?

Get the Unrevoked app from unrevoked.com and use that to temporarily get root access. Then download Titanium Backup and use that to do your backup of your apps and user data. I'm not quite sure I've seen an app get a perfect rating before, but this one deserves it. I'm using it to restore as well. It might be the first paid app I put on my phone. PEACE.

Anyone else notice any difference with the Flash update? Some of the reviews on the marketplace said it made viewing flash heavy websites smoother but I don't really notice anything different.

Chairhome

I've been messing with my mytouch slide for a while and I love it, especially coming from the G1. I didn't know there was a flash player already. It doesn't work very well, though, haha. Glad to hear that all mytouch devices are going to get 2.2, though.

daw840

One quick question. Why are some things on the market listed in Pounds? Can I purchase these? How do I know what the US dollar amount is?

Jayge

daw840 said:
One quick question. Why are some things on the market listed in Pounds? Can I purchase these? How do I know what the US dollar amount is?
Because the makers live in Britain. You can buy them like any other item. It will tell you the approximate dollar amount when you make the purchase.

Stryder

daw840 said:
I think I saw an option in the Market to automatically show things in your own currency as well

Jayge

Stryder said:
I think I saw an option in the Market to automatically show things in your own currency as well
There is one on AppBrain, I haven't checked if there is an option for that on Market.

Any suggestions on an app that can help me connect to my schools wifi. They use WPA2 Enterprise that requires both a username and a password. I am running Eclair on my G1, but it doesn't give me an option to use a username.

The only app on the market that seemed to do this is now broken. Help!

rpmurphy

LivetoFollow said:
Any suggestions on an app that can help me connect to my schools wifi. They use WPA2 Enterprise that requires both a username and a password. I am running Eclair on my G1, but it doesn't give me an option to use a username.

The only app on the market that seemed to do this is now broken. Help!
Is it asking for something like credentials password? If it is, just put down something you can remember and then you get more stuff to fill out. That's what I did for my school's wifi.

I wonder if there's a way for Google to handle Google Talk better. I always have a Gmail window open on my computer. Sometimes I get a message in one place and not the other, and sometimes I get duplicates. Once I start a conversation it's mostly ok, but, hmmm. I think a better approach is possible.

Also, why haven't they made it so that if you try to send a SMS with GVoice and there's no network service, the message goes to an outbox where it waits for coverage? "Failed to send" is an annoying message.

rpmurphy said:
Is it asking for something like credentials password? If it is, just put down something you can remember and then you get more stuff to fill out. That's what I did for my school's wifi.

Yes it did, I'll give that a go tomorrow when I'm on campus! Thanks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just tuned onto an app called "Rings Extended". It replaces the standard ring/alarm selector and lets you go instantly to music folders and such to select ring tones and alarms (will even have a button to take you right to your ringdroid stuff). Example if you select alarm and use the default alarms, selecting the button to chose alarm will take you to your media folder. Really nice to alarms or other things where you just want to use the entire song. I have no problem with my Droid's deafault alarm program but this makes it really nice since all the default alarms sucked

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
daw840 said:

With all the economic wackiness, it varies. It will tell you before you purchase but if you want to make a rough estimate it's about 1.5:1 (pounds:dollars)

th3dude

The Google Checkout screen will always have the amount converted into USD or whatever currency you natively use. Not sure why they don't just put those converted amounts in the market listings, but oh well.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ZZMitch said:
I was just looking at some android games around the web, and I found out that gameloft released 10 of their most popular iPhone games on android a few weeks ago... but they arnt on the marketplace, you have to buy them from gameloft's site. Why would they not put the games on the market? Seems kinda crazy not to, no one is going to find it on their site :lol

Decided I'd buy one and give it a try. After downloading 135MB of data, it crashed. On restarting it crashed every time. Their tech support eventually got back to me to tell me it doesn't work on the Desire (something they should probably have pointed out somewhere on their website rather than letting people buy and download software that doesn't work on their phone).

They've very generously offered to let me have one of their other games 'in compensation'. If I'd wanted one of their other games, I'd have bought that game. Told them they'll be giving me a refund instead. :p

If you're looking for Android games, check out DroidGamer.com or on Youtube there are various "100 android games" or "50 android games" videos that show off some cool ones.

Gameloft sucks. It's been discussed a million times, all you need to know is they suck.

If anyone feels they need more battery power out your device, you NEED to try out JuiceDefender. Holy fuck...

From what I understand, it turns off data everytime you put the phone to sleep

Before, I would leave the house at 11 AM fully charged and my G1 would need charging by 5 PM, from sending texts and surfing neogaf for on and off during school.
Now, I don't have to charge the phone until I get home at night. It's amazing!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
pistolpete2940 said:
If anyone feels they need more battery power out your device, you NEED to try out JuiceDefender. Holy fuck...

Before, I would leave the house at 11 AM fully charged and my G1 would need charging by 5 PM, from sending texts and surfing neogaf for on and off during school.

How do you put the phone to "sleep"?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
pistolpete2940 said:
Press the red button??

That just turns the screen black right? And if data is turned off then how do you get a phone call if the phone is sleep?

Yeah, the screen is turned off. By data, I mean it only turns off edge/3g signals. Phonecalls and texts still come through and it still turns on data every 15 minutes or so to sync stuff like emails and facebook.

Yeah, I can speak for JuiceDefender(and it's companion JuicyPlot) for sure. I only used the free version(reduced features), but I have it set that it will check for data for 2 minutes every 30min.

If you select help in JuiceDefender, it will calculate the amount of battery preserved. I usually get x1.7-x2.0(twice the efficiency) over not having the program enabled. The JuicyPlot charts the percentage of the battery over time. By pressing help, it predicts either how much time to return the battery to a full charge while plugged in or how much longer the battery has until it is dead when discharging. Pretty nifty set of apps, and they integrate with each other if you choose to install both.

I've been using SiteShot a lot lately. Since giving up my iPhone I forgot how much more fun, easier and plain cooler it is to text friends a funny screenshot of something on the web. Today I edited a Wikipedia page to reflect an inside joke and sent the screenshot over. I wish Google would wake up and put screen capture into the OS but SiteShot's workaround is good enough. For now, Google.

Usually if my batterys getting low and I have to make it last I just turn everything off on the power control widget and that does the job. Normally my Droid makes it through the day but I'll give Juice Defender a shot. Wonder if this is what the Evo people are looking for.

Yeah, it is something that you can set once, then forget it is even there. There is like no need to really mess with it once you have it setup(for the free version, there are only a couple of things to set, so it'll take no time). Then when the phone is wakened, everything acts as normal, etc.

(1) go to androidtechnical.info
(2) click on "ANDROID ROM LIBRARY"
(3) type "Google OEM" into the search boy (of course without the "")
(4) click on "Search"
(5) click onto the "Google OEM" link that says "Nexus One Shipping ROM (Original)" in the "Version" column
(6) at the bottom you will find the download link
(7) happy downloading

(1) Do a Factory Reset via Android OS

(2) Reboot into Fastboot, go into Bootloader and click "Cleare Storage"

(3) Reboot your phone, plug it into USB and make Windows access it via USB (This step, does it require Android to boot up properly, and then turn on USB file transfer?)

(4) delete all files on the SD-Card, format it, and then copy the PASSIMG.zip onto your SD-Card

(5) Shut down your phone and boot it into fastboot again and go into bootloader again. Now the phone will regonize and load your PASSIMG.zip and ask you if you want to update.

Also, there are lots of .img files in the folder, do I keep them all in there, or remove some?

zoku88

anybody know of a good email app? The included when is fine for checking email, but for writing email, i really wished it kept the compose window open when i switch apps.

EDIT: And does it only allow things from the Gallery to be sent as attachments?

zoku88 said:
anybody know of a good email app? The included when is fine for checking email, but for writing email, i really wished it kept the compose window open when i switch apps.

EDIT: And does it only allow things from the Gallery to be sent as attachments?
Use Astro File Manager and you can send any file as an attachment, I believe.

zedge

Free on the market right now. Get it before its gone. :D

Fancy Widget

http://www.androidcentral.com/fancy-widget-looks-wee-bit-familiar

fancy-widget-qr.png

android-fancy-widget.png

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
pistolpete2940 said:

How does it compare to power manager?

Jayge

jonnybryce said:
I've been using SiteShot a lot lately. Since giving up my iPhone I forgot how much more fun, easier and plain cooler it is to text friends a funny screenshot of something on the web. Today I edited a Wikipedia page to reflect an inside joke and sent the screenshot over. I wish Google would wake up and put screen capture into the OS but SiteShot's workaround is good enough. For now, Google.

Usually if my batterys getting low and I have to make it last I just turn everything off on the power control widget and that does the job. Normally my Droid makes it through the day but I'll give Juice Defender a shot. Wonder if this is what the Evo people are looking for.
It might be. I've been trying to use JuicePlotter but I think I need to completely reset its data collection because it thinks it's 100% accurate now and it's been combining usage data from my OEM and Seidio batteries, which leads me to believe it's entirely fucked :lol

JuicePlotter does have a great widget for estimating remaining battery time though. I just need it to do it more accurately. I'll give JuiceDefender a try and see what happens.

Edit: JuiceDefender is annoying. They should at least offer a 5 day demo or something; the free version leaves a ton of options disabled, and the paid version offers up too many services that could easily function badly. I won't pay money for this if I can't even test it out first. I'll see what the free version can do anyway. Actually, I won't, since I mainly use wi-fi at home and keep 3G turned off unless I'm at school, so this is useless to me (for the weekend at least). Wi-fi settings are some of the disabled ones. Oh well. Uninstalling.

jersoc

ICallItFutile said:
How does it compare to power manager?

I haven't really used power manager so Im not sure if it does this but with Juicedefender, you can just enable it and forget it's there. No need to mess with it afterwards.

jersoc said:
for nexus one only?

eh, guess i'll hold off installing bugless then. I just want my market speed back :|
I'm on bb and its flawless bro. Market is blazing fast, so are my 3g speeds. Battery life is also pretty damn great. I didn't expect it to be this good. Feels like a brand new phone.

So I was looking around for a way to hide my txt messages or at least route them somewhere a bit more secure. I came upon a post touting an app called Super Private Conversation. I'll be damned if the thing doesn't do exactly what it says. I'm able route all txt messages to the app itself without them showing up in my regular messaging app.

I was also able to turn off all txt notifications from any incoming number I chose. The app itself is titled SPC in the menu with a somewhat nondescript looking icon. SPC automatically deletes the specified calls from your call log. You can blacklist certain phone numbers so they can't get through at all, but still keep keep track of them via log.

The app itself can be password protected. I also went along and turned off all notifications for the default messaging app. SPC can handle both notifications only showing you ones that are from numbers not hidden. The only gripe that I really have is while setting things up the number I was trying to hide would sometimes show up in the main menu for messages. It didn't show a name or the message so I guess it's not that bad.

Oh one more thing. All that was free.

Jayge

IcebergSlim3000 said:
So I was looking around for a way to hide my txt messages or at least route them somewhere a bit more secure. I came upon a post touting an app called Super Private Conversation. I'll be damned if the thing doesn't do exactly what it says. I'm able route all txt messages to the app itself without them showing up in my regular messaging app.

I was also able to turn off all txt notifications from any incoming number I chose. The app itself is titled SPC in the menu with a somewhat nondescript looking icon. SPC automatically deletes the specified calls from your call log. You can blacklist certain phone numbers so they can't get through at all, but still keep keep track of them via log.

The app itself can be password protected. I also went along and turned off all notifications for the default messaging app. SPC can handle both notifications only showing you ones that are from numbers not hidden. The only gripe that I really have is while setting things up the number I was trying to hide would sometimes show up in the main menu for messages. It didn't show a name or the message so I guess it's not that bad.

Oh one more thing. All that was free.
Even I am not that paranoid, holy shit. Why the need for so much secrecy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom