• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Announcement Trailer | PS4

I mean, it was a bad game then and it's still a bad game now... but it's good that they are doing this just for the sake of games preservation.

KtSlime

Thought it was lame when my friend first showed it off in 6th grade, but I guess it proves that there is a market for anything.

I hope it proves to be worth the effort for them.

I proudly own many bad horror movies--most of them special edition Blu-Rays--so I'll happily buy a physical copy of this delightful bastard.

Did you folks know the guy that wrote this train wreck also created that awful soap opera Passions? 'S'truth.

rezn0r

I'm assuming (most likely wrongly) that everyone saying "isn't this supposed to be shit" "i thought this was supposed to be garbage" etc are the GAF young crew

I'm not saying being older makes the game better, it just seems very clear to me who wasn't around when this showed up

People will talk about this a lot, and feign enthusiasm online, but it's going to sell like absolute shit. I have no idea why they're bothering.

Drencrom

tumblr_m15cu6v2Xl1qa68j2o1_r1_500.gif

The song is all I wanted thanks :)

http://www.screamingvillains.com/nt25.mp3

NIGHTTRAP HOOOOOOOOO- and that Guitar Riff- goddamit.

Damn, this is some glorious late 80s intro theme song shit

man excited to play this - i missed out on the fmv games other than maybe 7th guest in the 90s.

that one girl is a babe and that song is a banger

I mean, it was a bad game then and it's still a bad game now... but it's good that they are doing this just for the sake of games preservation.

Yeah, Night Trap was never really a well executed game. But people like it for it's cheesiness. Plus it does have dubious honors for being the reason why we have an ERSB now, and the game itself is kinda like the original FNAF.

I think it is cool that this game is getting a re-release, even if it is for preservation's sake. It is something that the developers of this game wanted to do for quite a while now. They do have the original masters of the recorded footage and are using it to crate a higher resolution version of the game. Also, the new UI looks like it will add some minor improvements to the game as well. I would also like to see Sewer Shark get the same treatment.

It's amazing how cyclical video games are.

The game came out, everyone loved it. Within a year, everyone hated FMV and said it needed to die a horrible death. Now, suddenly, people want them again.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

The game came out, everyone loved it. Within a year, everyone hated FMV and said it needed to die a horrible death. Now, suddenly, people want them again.

Everyone loved it? Are we still talking about Night Trap here?

Valonquar

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties next please.

I remember working at an EB when that game was out on 3DO. Someone came in to buy it and me & another guy working warned the dude buying it that it is reaaaaaaly terrible. I stressed that the game was so terrible that he would want to return it immediately after trying it for 5 minutes. I told him I would only sell it to him if he understood that we would not accept a refund/return of any kind for the game, because it was THAT BAD. He still bought it.

1 hour later he showed up asking to return it, said we were right. Refused to refund, offered $1 in trade in. He still traded it in. L O L

I feel like it was less a case of stuff like Night Trap and more a case of "let's use this new tech to do something!" and everyone put something into it as the gimmick it was. Ya know, like motion control and camera games (Kinect, PSEye, etc) and now, apparently, VR.

Sewer Shark being a pack-in game and sucking a whole lot of ass didn't help. God I hated that game.

Gonna need a Sega CD collection to come out soon after this.

I'm making sure this isn't April 1st still. I think I still have the issue of EGM with the article about Night Trap's "controversy".

I remember working at an EB when that game was out on 3DO. Someone came in to buy it and me & another guy working warned the dude buying it that it is reaaaaaaly terrible. I stressed that the game was so terrible that he would want to return it immediately after trying it for 5 minutes. I told him I would only sell it to him if he understood that we would not accept a refund/return of any kind for the game, because it was THAT BAD. He still bought it.

1 hour later he showed up asking to return it, said we were right. Refused to refund, offered $1 in trade in. He still traded it in. L O L

The funny thing about Plumber's Don't Wear Ties is that somebody discovered an unreleaed PC port a few months back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354349&page=1

All that nonsense 25 years ago, and it ends up rated Teen. Those were different times I guess.

Teen is what the game should have always been rated. Even back then, it was pretty cheesy and didn't show anything explicit. The reason why this game was put into the spot light was because it featured a scene with a woman wearing a nightgown in a bathroom, while a cheesy monster thing tries to capture her. They blew it out of proportion as a "rape scene". But it was also used as an example of games becoming more 'realistic' (full motion video in games were still a new thing in 1993) , and this could become a real concern if there were no ratings to inform parents.

cj_iwakura

I think calling it cheesy is giving it too much credit. It's really just plain old boring.

I'd love to see a show of hands of who actually played the game versus who watched some people play it, and often badly.

GameGrumps, for instance, were awful at it.

Again, I've replayed the game literally dozens of times. It has a LOT of hidden secrets. More than it has any right to.

cj_iwakura

So, uh, the new cover's done...

C-WxNG-XkAEmneg.jpg:large

To compare:
nighttrap.jpg

Well, A for effort.

I'd rather they have JUST used the original, TBH.

Also:

C-WQgxFUAAAR1lt.jpg

Wow.

cj_iwakura

Also, in the 32x and 3DO version's of Night Trap, there is a scene where the "SCAT Commander" (or whatever he's called) holding up a prototype version of the Control-Vision game pad.... or at least that is what the claims are.

QnxSErV.png

For the Sega CD version, they re-filmed this guy's scenes holding a Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive pad.

lpaO23P.png

I know it'll never happen, but his actor posts in the FB group, and he said this:
I haven't been contacted yet but would be more than willing [to do a new scene]. Haven't spoken to Deek or Arthur for some time but Heidi is local. PS...I'm no longer the black haired, young Commander of S.C.A.T., so there will be 'make up'. Ha!

So, uh, the new cover's done...

C-WxNG-XkAEmneg.jpg:large

To compare:
nighttrap.jpg

Well, A for effort.

I'd rather they have JUST used the original, TBH.

Also:

C-WQgxFUAAAR1lt.jpg

Wow.

I have a feeling that they don't have the rights to the original box art, since it was published by Sega. This recreation is alright, but the SCAT guys in the top left corner look a little sketchy. Not a bad alternative.
I could do better >_>

cj_iwakura

I have a feeling that they don;t have the rights to the original box art, since it was published by Sega. This recreation is alright, but the SCAT guys in the top left corner look a little sketchy. Not a bad alternative.

It's a valiant effort, but you can tell this didn't have half the work put into it. Check out the detail behind the SCAT team, the window in the background, even the stairs.

I'm being nitpicky, but the original cover had an eerie amount of love put into it.

The more I look at the new one, the uglier it looks, lol.

I was working at Software Etc at the time. We sold quite a few of them. I remember it specifically because I had to ID people and I wasn't even old enough to buy it.

Going by this old article from 1993, Night trap sold over 100k copies on the Sega CD alone:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/17/nyregion/toys-r-us-stops-selling-a-violent-video-game.html

"Aided by compact disks and computer chips, Night Trap is part of a new wave of more advanced video games that feature live-action characters that look like real people rather than the animated cartoon figures in Super Mario Brothers and similar games. Mr. Zito said that about 100,000 copies of Night Trap have been sold at roughly $60 each."

But then again, Tom Zito also said this in the past:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=PT...,000 copies a week after the hearings&f=false
"you know, I sold 50,000 copies a week after the hearings" - Tom Zito.

This was after 1994, so no idea if he is talking about the 3DO, DOS, Mac OS, and 32X versions as well. It is possible that the Sega CD version sold more than +150k in sales. The senate hearings did cause a spike in interest. I am pretty sure that Night Trap was one of the best selling games on the Sega CD add-on, even though the system itself wasn't a huge seller in NA.

Put some penises in it, to annoy the censors, and hopefully generate some sort of controversy.

It isn't the full Night Trap experience without Congressional hearings.

Top Bottom