• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Shadow of the Colossus On PS4 Is A Remake Not A Remaster

CHC

Pretty much what I wanted to hear. No new colossi is, as far as I'm concerned, good news. The game was lean and minimalistic, and 16 is a nice even number anyway. I wouldn't complain if there were new ones, I suppose, but there is a definitely risk they could get redundant.

And a control update is much needed. Glad there will be a classic option for the pedantic fans, but really the controls of that game would be something of an issue for most modern players. They don't feel good.

It has new remade animations. The engine is clearly different as what is shown in the OP definitely can't run on a PS2. Textures are completely remade. Geometry/3D models are completely remade. Hmm, it seems I used the word "remade" quite a lot just now. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

Could it be because it's a remake? You know what, I bet it is!

Aren't those also the case for this game?

header.jpg

Macka

I mean, it's not a true remake. They're using the same base code and just giving it a complete visual overhaul, no?

It has new remade animations. The engine is clearly different as what is shown in the OP definitely can't run on a PS2. Textures are completely remade. Geometry/3D models are completely remade. Hmm, it seems I used the word "remade" quite a lot just now. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

Could it be because it's a remake? You know what, I bet it is!

Aren't those also the case for this game?

header.jpg
hmmm.

higher res textures, impossible on a ps2? check
higher poly models, impossible on a ps2? check

hmmm

Alienous

Port
Remaster
Remake
Reimagining

Games exist on a spectrum, but they are closest to one of the above.

Tomb Raider Anniversary is a remake.
Ratchet and Clank is a remake.
Tomb Raider (2013) is a reimagining.
Resident Evil REmake is a remake.

Shadow of the Colossus is a remaster. Updating assets on the same 'skeleton' of a game is a remaster. Those assets can be textures, sound, geometry - still a remaster.

Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy is technically a remake, as it was built without the original games' source code, but effectively a remaster.

What a weird thread lol truly will find something new to debate everyday. I could tell you why I think its a remake, I could tell you why it's not a remaster but I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain so I'll take shu's word

Don't get me wrong, Shadow is one of my favorite games of all time, but if it's just the same game content-wise...just...why? Seems like such a weird thing. I figured they were going to add some of the cut Colossi, but apparently not. This one really baffles me.

For one, they have to redo the hub temple as it currently fits 16 colossi. Then there's the world itself.

They're remakes.

When George Lucas added special effects to the original trilogy was that a remake?

They're remakes because they copy the original, except actually remade everything.

Like SOTC, copying the original, but remaking everything.

SOTC is not taking the original and adding stuff.

Macka

Is it really so hard to understand?

Remaster = same game with tweaked textures, up-resed UI, maybe a new effect or two
Remake = remaking the game and all of its assets and functionality with the intention of following the original as closely as possible
Reimagining = taking the original as a base and remaking it without really giving a fuck for how faithful it is

ICO/SotC HD were a remaster. This PS4 SotC is a remake.
It's not remaking the game from the ground up, though. It's using the same code from the original game.

It's like instead of buying a brand new car, you just take the engine of your old one and put it in the body of a sports car. It's partially 'new', but it's also essentially the same car.

klee123

Wasted opportunity in my opinion.

Should have added the cut colossi and made a 'director's cut' mode exclusive to the remake.

Personally unless it was super cheap to make, it would have better just to port the HD remaster to the PS4 and use the funds on a new game.

Branduil

When European movies are remade in the US with exact same story, dialogue and camera shots, just with English speaking actors, do you think it's a remaster?

I think a better analogy for something like this would be the Star Wars Special Editions, which add a bunch of new effects/visuals and a few new scenes. While the quality of those changes is very debatable, no one would call the Star Wars SE a remake.

Generally, I think remakes involve significant changes and alterations to the fundamental structure of the work. The obvious examples in gaming are stuff like FFVIIR, Ratchet and Clank, REmake, Metroid: Samus Returns, Black Mesa, Final Fantasy IV DS, Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, etc. This game seems much more along the lines of enhanced remasters like the Zelda 3D games: completely overhauled visually, with all-new assets, but other than a few quality-of-life upgrades, the base gameplay and content is identical.

Alienous

They're remakes because they copy the original, except actually remade everything.

SOTC is not taking the original and adding stuff.

SOTC isn't remaking everything. It isn't remaking game logic, it isn't redesigning boss battles. It's taking a game and increasing the fidelity of the audio and visuals, just like a remastered song might re-record instruments or vocals to current day standards. A remastered game does the same with the other aspects of a visual medium, such as textures and geometry.

A remake, however, starts from 'scratch' with the original being a guideline to follow.

Macka

They aren't remaking everything. Visuals alone are not a game.

Shadow of the Colossus for PS4 is only remaking the graphics and animations from scratch.

The code of the game is the same.

I don't get how this is hard to understand.

It's a remake. The same game, but remade, with entirely new assets.
This applies to you as well.

KiNolin

It's the same stupid discussion from Ocarina of Time 3D days. Everything was new. Higher poly 3D models, textures, additional mechanics. But it used the original version's codebase so you weren't allowed to call it a remake.

Ocarina of Time is a remaster because it "only" polished the original game, even if its efforts were above the average of typical remasters. The 3DS version still has the same glitches as the N64 game, i.e. the core game is still underneath its new textures. Crash Bandicoot would be a remake because it's a completely new production with nothing of the PS1 games "underneath" - it's just immitating the original games.

Persona7

Banned
It was pretty clear from the trailer
The same can be said of the new crash bandicoot yet it was confirmed that old map data from the original games was baked in.
Ocarina of Time is a remaster because it "only" polished the original game, even if its efforts were above the average of typical remasters. The 3DS version still has the same glitches as the N64 game, i.e. the core game is still underneath its new textures. Crash Bandicoot would be a remake because it's a completely new production with nothing of the PS1 games "underneath" - it's just immitating the original games.
Incorrect. A recent interview confirmed the use of original assets.

coughlanio

I've always considered a remaster to be the game running on the original engine with some tweaked values (resolution, both viewport and texture, and additional features such as enhanced lighting and anti-aliasing).

This looks like they're using a new engine and everything else that comes along with that.

Remake.

Nozem

So it's a remake that's functionally almost the same as a remaster: exactly the same game but prettier.

I'd rather have a reimagining though.

SMG

This feels like the sort of thing big franchises do to bridge the gap between big release. Makes me think a fourth Ico world game might be in the works.

Remaster = same game with tweaked textures, up-resed UI, maybe a new effect or two
Remake = remaking the game and all of its assets and functionality with the intention of following the original as closely as possible
Reimagining = taking the original as a base and remaking it without really giving a fuck for how faithful it is

It really isn't this simple. Persona 4 Golden and Tactics Ogre: LUCT could be a remaster or a remake by your definitions.

Just a heads up: I'm just posting an article. I don't even close agree with that statement.

It's clearly a remaster, with just way more effort than other remasters lately.

So, if people come in here and claim: "I thought this was obvious."

Then:

1. Either you are trolling

or

2. You have no idea what a remake is.

No, YOU have no idea what a remake is. Or you don't seem to understand what the sentence "The game content is the same as the original version, but all the assets are being remade" actually MEANS.

God, this is 4chan-levels of pointless contrarianism.

Nozem

FFVII remake begs to differ.

Macka

Was it confirmed that the game is using the original code or is this a guess/assumption?
It hasn't been outright said to my knowledge, but every single interview about it has only mentioned updating the assets. Plus, Bluepoint Games mainly only work on remasters. I really can't see them being the studio that would be granted the task of actually rebuilding Shadow of the Colossus from the ground up.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Who would have thought words could have different meanings in different contexts huh. Us language users huh? Haha!

Considering this game was on the PS2 (where I completed it) and the PS3, wouldn't the PS4 version be a remake of a remaster?
Or a remaster of a remake?
Or a remake of a remake?
Or a remaster of a remaster?

No. Those models were updated and the textures were updated, and the engine is the same. SotC all of the assets are not just an update of old textures, or models, they're completely remade from start to finish.

Wait, please clarify what you meant by "update", first. Because it's not like they just took, for example, a Tidus 3D model then mold it around into the Remastered Model. They remade that model from scratch, too.

Don't get me wrong, Shadow is one of my favorite games of all time, but if it's just the same game content-wise...just...why? Seems like such a weird thing. I figured they were going to add some of the cut Colossi, but apparently not. This one really baffles me.

It doesn't baffle me, the game didn't sell amazingly well (I'm not sure it even cracked above 1 million) and yet it's looked back on so fondly.

Speaking for myself, there's an awful lot of old games I'd love to experience and understand why people love, but those games often require context as to why they were so good - the timeless elements of their quality remain but they're wrapped up in an often dated package.

Reintroducing a game like this, allowing people to play it as if it were a modern title opens it up to another audience. And to be frank, this game mechanically will probably always hold up well. Especially if they fix niggling response time issues and introduce new control schemes for people.

Dare I say it, BotW took plenty of hints from this game.

I am so happy this is happening and I cannot wait to replay as if it were a new release again.

RomeoDog

Banned
Considering this game was on the PS2 (where I completed it) and the PS3, wouldn't the PS4 version be a remake of a remaster?
Or a remaster of a remake?
Or a remake of a remake?
Or a remaster of a remaster?

This is the golden truth I already revealed in the thread. Its the remake of a remaster. So its still a remaster.

Top Bottom