• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Someone just played a Tortollan Primalist against me...

There were six cards on the board at the time

The opponent picked Firelands Portal from the three choices

It randomly hit their face

And spawned a Bomb Squad

That's the unluckiest turn I have ever seen

Blizzard

Banned
pretty similar to yours, I even run reckless rocketeer because I haven't found much difference from playing with Leeroy and it doesn't leave 2 bodies behind if I trade.

mulligan strategy? pretty straight forward, fish always for any 1 drop pirate, with a condition for southsea deckhand, if it is a priest opponent, you might keep it, but never play it to get patches out, potion of madness kills you in that situation. I usually don't keep bloodsail raider, I always keep fiery war axe, never keep upgrade or any spell.

3 drops are very very situational, but could work, for example, just last game I had a game against a paladin where I kept my frothing berserker, because I had the coin and I had N'zoth First Mate, see my play there? patches and N'zoth First mate would eventually trade, and my berserker would get out of control, all of that in turn 2, also before the paladin could take out a truesilver champion. only in those very planned situations you can keep one, everything else is thrown away.

this is my current list:

N'zoth First Mate x2
Patches
Shouthsea deckhand x2
upgrade x2
bloodsail raider x2
fiery war axe x2
Golakka Crawler
Heroic Strike x2
Bloodsail cultist x2
Frothing berserker x2
southsea captain
Dread corsair x2
Kor'kron elite x2
mortal strike x2
arcanite reaper x2
bittertide hydra x2
reckless rocketeer

I have found that Naga corsair is just too inefficient for a turn 4 and beyond play, +1 attack doesn't help much.

oh, also, eating your patches by golakka crawler on turn 2 might not be a bad idea, but it all depends on the situation (mostly if you plan to play cultist on 3 or if you have a captain or if the opponent could get rid of the golakka)

EDIT: also, check out the winrates of the cards while kept in had by hsreplays.net: https://hsreplay.net/decks/bzLdmSuM6erhbCmLlaQiod/
check out the percentage of players that mullingan each card, that can give you a pretty good idea about what you have to keep or not in each play. For example, if you get a patches from a mulligan, you pretty much lost with just a 35% chance of winning

Thanks for all the advice! Sadly I thought I had 2 bittertide hydra but I actually have 0, so that's another 800 dust I would need to experiment, lol.

It's kind of funny in a feels-bad way that you only have one southsea captain right after I spent 400 dust for a second one -- I thought I read the second one was very important.

*edit* Fresh night of pirate warrior! Second game, full 4-card mulligan for a weapon. No weapon until turn 7 upgrade, the same turn the enemy deals lethal. My luck is awwwwwful.

Blizzard

Banned
Right after my 4-mulligan, 6 turns of no weapon game, I face a priest.

They get shadow word pain + 2x shadow visions + 2x shadow word pain from shadow visions in their first 12 cards. They then use discover from amber and got a 12/12 Deathwing, Dragonlord. :|

*edit* I haven't had a pirate warrior winstreak in 31 straight pirate warrior ranked games.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Hit 5 in wild with ease using a homebrew anyfin/taunt paladin. If I can ever get to rank 5 by the 15th of the month I'll try for legend, I think. I think it's too late now.

wiibomb

Thanks for all the advice! Sadly I thought I had 2 bittertide hydra but I actually have 0, so that's another 800 dust I would need to experiment, lol.

It's kind of funny in a feels-bad way that you only have one southsea captain right after I spent 400 dust for a second one -- I thought I read the second one was very important.

*edit* Fresh night of pirate warrior! Second game, full 4-card mulligan for a weapon. No weapon until turn 7 upgrade, the same turn the enemy deals lethal. My luck is awwwwwful.

Bittertide hydra is nice and all, but it is also very risky and not really needed at all at your rank, it won't improve your winrate magically.

Also, yeah I run just 1 captain, 2 capatains are not escential, but I'm kind of sure a second would help.

Right after my 4-mulligan, 6 turns of no weapon game, I face a priest.

They get shadow word pain + 2x shadow visions + 2x shadow word pain from shadow visions in their first 12 cards. They then use discover from amber and got a 12/12 Deathwing, Dragonlord. :|

*edit* I haven't had a pirate warrior winstreak in 31 straight pirate warrior ranked games.

Do you have hsreplays to check some of your replays? I might be able to help you on your games.

sibarraz

Banned
After falling to rank 4 last weekend, I was able to return to rank 3. My best rank this month was 5 stars on 3, so the struggle to reach rank 2, yet alone legend is real

Sande

Opponent draws his Ooze for my Medivh before turn 8. I haven't drawn my Ooze for his Medivh on turn ~20.

I see how it is. Really sucks when matches are decided by shit like this.

Edit: Second opponent today who goes afk when they realize they've lost. Grow up ffs.

wiibomb

After falling to rank 4 last weekend, I was able to return to rank 3. My best rank this month was 5 stars on 3, so the struggle to reach rank 2, yet alone legend is real

That seems like my problem too. I reached once rank 2 at 2 stars, since then I have never again reached that rank. If only I had winstreaks I might be able to climb back there, since I have usually a very nice winstreak followed by a terrible losestreak.

Last night I was at rank 3 5 star, final boss to rank 2, then I lost.... 6 times in a row, now I'm at rank 4 again.

sibarraz

Banned
That seems like my problem too. I reached once rank 2 at 2 stars, since then I have never again reached that rank. If only I had winstreaks I might be able to climb back there, since I have usually a very nice winstreak followed by a terrible losestreak.

Last night I was at rank 3 5 star, final boss to rank 2, then I lost.... 6 times in a row, now I'm at rank 4 again.

I don't know how big is the psychological aspect in rank 5 to legend

wiibomb

I don't know how big is the psychological aspect in rank 5 to legend

more tryharding? certainly there is more in that aspect since everyone tries to fight the hardest to win.

I also know that in my case I just see that people knows my deck well enough to counter it badly a lot of times, I want to make one of the paladin or mage deck, but even then I feel that won't help get to legend.

Sande

Have they changed the interaction on "gain control of an enemy minion for this turn" + silence?

I thought it makes the minion yours but it just returned it back to the enemy right away.

wiibomb

Peléo;237795663 said:
Just played Coin + Innervate + Living Mana on T2. Never felt as dumb in my life.

oh no... ohhhhh no hahahahaha.

I think I saw a player once do that.

I have to say, if that interaction worked, the card would be out of the stratosphere busted.

wiibomb

Living Mana is a funny story. It's way better than people expected, or at least than I expected, but also as bad as people said for totally different reasons.

the moment you can have a living mana alongside a mark of the lotus, there are not much downsides, hell, if you have an innervate alongside with living mana, that can potentially mean lethal

Have they changed the interaction on "gain control of an enemy minion for this turn" + silence?

I thought it makes the minion yours but it just returned it back to the enemy right away.

I think they did change it because I remember that working. Well transforming it into another minion would work.

sh1fty

Went on a nice streak and was one star away from Rank 10 and now I'm just plummeting back to reality.

Every game is against Quest Rogue, Aggro Druid, Aggro Hunter and Murloc Paladin. I think Hearthstone has just shifted to meta's that alienate me as a Control player. I even played a Secret Mage who killed me on Turn 4.

Cthun Warrior? Lost.
Rogue who coined out Pagle? Lost.
Quest Rogue who used Stonehill Defender as his bounce minion? Lost.

Can't say Casual is boring.

wiibomb

Cthun Warrior? Lost.
Rogue who coined out Pagle? Lost.
Quest Rogue who used Stonehill Defender as his bounce minion? Lost.

Can't say Casual is boring.

I definitely like to play casual at hell lot more than ranked, there are a lot of weird decks there.

of course, not at the level of wild, but it is still more interesting than ranked standard

Ladekabel

Don't want to play neither Egg nor Jade Druid so I threw together a Wild N'Zoth Druid (which is basicall just Midrange Druid minus Ancient of Wars plus a N'Zoth). Won two games at Rank 25 and 24 in Wild. 10/10. Would recommend.

bunbun777

I'm about 28 wins away from golden druid and 48 wins away from golden shaman. Just those and rogue (374 wins away lol) to have all 9 golden portraits.

I love gold...

Q8D3vil

Hit legend for the 5th time using Kazakus dragon beast priest mostly and little Jade nzoth shaman.
ZMMOOA.jpg

Q8D3vil

With almost a a third of your deck legendary, I guess it's only fitting you became legend. :D Nice work.
Thanks, tbh i just play for fun and reached legend by wrecking​ aggro.
Btw i didnt create the decks. I just took them from hearthpwn or reddit and swapped some cards to fit my meta.

wiibomb

With almost a a third of your deck legendary, I guess it's only fitting you became legend. :D Nice work.

lots legendary cards are nothing if the player has a bad deck or doesn't know how to play it properly, control decks usually run a lot of legendaries because that is the nature of those decks, they really need a lot of value to win by out valuing the opponent.

Back in the release of WotOG I really wanted to have a control warrior, but it ran like 6 legendaries.

on the other hand, aggro deck are usually not that expensive.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, that priest purify deck with Lyra is really ridiculous sometimes. You can just go completely bonkers for a turn with spells and then end up with like a couple 22/22s at the end of it for an OTK. Really hilarious when it works out. And since I'm sitting at the Rank floor I don't have to worry about ranking down when I lose while learning to play the deck.

Learning stuff like don't pick many extra copies of Purify (it still sucks frequently enough that the card isn't worth it) off Shadow Visions or those times where you mis order the spells and silence off all the extra health for the self-GG. Good times.

Sheroking

the moment you can have a living mana alongside a mark of the lotus, there are not much downsides, hell, if you have an innervate alongside with living mana, that can potentially mean lethal

Until you play a Quest Rogue who Vanishes you or a Shaman who devolves them.

Top Bottom