• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Hycran

Banned
I've seen a lot more shaman lately running the evolve devolve bloodlust package. It doesn't seem like a bad deck but if you don't let them play to their outs it's absolutely trash tier. I felt bad for the shamans I played as I always clear their board, even while making sub optimal plays, just to prevent shenanigans.

Also, some guy volcanoes me with my two minions and armor smith on the board, got an unreal amount of armor and AS survived as the only minion on the board with 1 hp

I think going 50% with crystal rogue over a lot of games is pretty much expected. Looking at the VS data reaper power rankings it shows that Crystal/Quest Rogue has a 48% winrate across the field.

The reason people love to play it, is the same reason Jade Druid was so popular. It has extremely polarized match ups and sometimes in bad match ups it just wins. A good quest rogue draw is just impossible to beat.

If you want to climb with it you just need to plug away at it and hope you don't see a ton of aggro and let the winstreaks do the work.

OK thanks, and thanks Blizzard above too (the poster here, not actually Blizzard). That's good to know and I just need to remember that a 50‰ win rate isn't actually bad. I really need to try and be less stressed and salty about the whole thing.

I'll carry on with quest rogue for the rest of the season and then reevaluate what I want to do in June.

Magnus

Glimmerroot is too easy imo. I think I've seen it failed maaaybe twice, even when I was running a non meta deck stealth rogue.

Lol. I've used it three times in play myself and all three times I guessed the wrong card. When it's been played against me, 2 out if 3 were fails too. It's been a terrible card in practice imo.

fertygo

too bad Hoej turned into smorc player too now

its ok tho, Evolve Shaman will punish those aggro malfurion by now and then now people know that shaman list is damned good

2 devolve instead hex is damn good in this meta

manhack

The competition at the end of the month really falls off a cliff if you haven't been playing.

Yeah most people playing at the rank 20-10 range are pretty terrible.

It doesn't help that 50% of my opponents are quest rogue and they are all running different variations of the deck.

It goes back to the discussion above. It is not a high win-rate deck, but it absolutely floods the ladder due to popularity and polarized match ups and ez win games.

Meanwhile those players aren't making swift progress they are just bottlenecking certain deck archetypes from other players.

Szadek

I know this is the worst that I have personally done by a mile. I was on an uptrend too when it came to predicting cards but man this time I am going to be pulled through the shitter.

Ok it's not that bad but it's still my worst set prediction wise.
I learned that I shouldn't do these ratings at 4 am.
Even if I didn't, it wouldn't look that much better.

I need to take more way more time thinking about these cards next time.

Dragner

Returned to the game after being away because trash meta before ungoro. Made a quest rogue deck and a control paladin deck and made it to rank 3 easily. Right now it seems that interaction is at its lowest ever. Every deck do its thing, theres no good reactive control decks right now. Even control warrior has a streamline do my quest theme now.

Still better than the garbage we had before, but not the amazing meta everybody sold me.

Grief.exe

How do I add the person I last played? I click the last played, then press enter.

It doesn't seem to be showing up in my friends list.

patchday

Glimmerroot is too easy imo. I think I've seen it failed maaaybe twice, even when I was running a non meta deck stealth rogue.
I've never seen someone miss nor have I ever guessed wrong when I play my silence priest for quests.

Something bout priest just hate playing against them

I did finally log on yesterday to play a tiny bit of ladder to clear my quests. Didn't see a single priest I felt so blessed.

wiibomb

I feel priest is very close to be an OP class, it has a lot of tools and very solid early and midgame play, glimmerroot is really good and easy to complete, shadow visions is quite good at replicating spells and the new elemental is a solid second turn play even with no spells to go with, but the class lacks endgame tools, the moment it gains a reliable big threat, It might become a really good class

Blizzard

Banned
I feel priest is very close to be an OP class, it has a lot of tools and very solid early and midgame play, glimmerroot is really good and easy to complete, shadow visions is quite good at replicating spells and the new elemental is a solid second turn play even with no spells to go with, but the class lacks endgame tools, the moment it gains a reliable big threat, It might become a really good class
I feel the usual endgame goal besides fatigue is to get a bunch of decent-sized minions and/or dragons on the board, and/or get a double HP + match attack to HP combo for a massive damage punch.

wiibomb

I've seen Glimmeroot fail more than succeed by a significant amount. But I've only seen the card played against me in Arena.

Of course it's going to fail completely in arena. This is a constructed card.

I've see it played in constructed a lot in high tiers

I feel the usual endgame goal besides fatigue is to get a bunch of decent-sized minions and/or dragons on the board, and/or get a double HP + match attack to HP combo for a massive damage punch.

Which is a very unreliable combo, you need to use all the pieces to make it work, and a lot of times those pieces will need to be used to keep the player alive from another big minion from the opponent. Often times, those pieces could be just another better card.

There is a reason why the combo isn't contantly used since HS release, it is still very circumstancial.

Grief.exe

I've seen Glimmeroot fail more than succeed by a significant amount. But I've only seen the card played against me in Arena.

That card is going to be a crap shoot in Arena.

No one is going to play Piranha Launcher in constructed, but you bet that shows up in Arena.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Finally won up to 10 this weekend. Don't think I'm going to bother trying for 5. The extra effort I'd have to put in isn't worth it. I'll just watch Netflix and play silly decks for my quests. I really enjoy the ranked floors. Lets you experiment against decent opponents.

Mulgrok

I still say they should have retired ice block over ice lance. Ice lance without emperor and ice block to back it up is mediocre at best.

KuroNeeko

Think I'll be taking a break for a bit. I enjoyed the new meta and all, but vS Reaper report and Quest Rogue has basically made the game boring again. vS, or sites like it, are always going to be a thing--that's just the nature of the beast, but I have never had less fun playing Hearthstone then when playing against Quest Rogue.

Does it have counters? Sure, but none of them are decks I like playing. Better to stop playing all together and let that meta data (and lack of purchases) speak to Blizzard about my dissatisfaction with the game.

Shadowverse right now is faring MUCH worse, so I guess I'll be taking a break from TCGs in general for a bit.

Good luck to all you guys trying to climb.

Think I'll be taking a break for a bit. I enjoyed the new meta and all, but vS Reaper report and Quest Rogue has basically made the game boring again. vS, or sites like it, are always going to be a thing--that's just the nature of the beast, but I have never had less fun playing Hearthstone then when playing against Quest Rogue.

Does it have counters? Sure, but none of them are decks I like playing. Better to stop playing all together and let that meta data (and lack of purchases) speak to Blizzard about my dissatisfaction with the game.

Shadowverse right now is faring MUCH worse, so I guess I'll be taking a break from TCGs in general for a bit.

Would you like to play Hearthstone and its aggro meta?
Or Eternal and its aggro meta?
Or Shadowverse and its aggro meta?
Or Duelyst and its aggro meta?
Or Infinity Wars' balanced meta along with the other 40 people who play it daily on Steam? :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
even if you really super hate quest rogue, it's at most like 10 percent of the decks you run into

I don't get it

Or Infinity Wars' balanced meta along with the other 40 people who play it daily on Steam? :(

Only PW and token druid are aggro decks being played atm. Everything else is midrange, control, or combo.

Ketch

I feel like the elders scrolls card game isn't very Aggro dominate

patchday

If I play another card game it would be Gwent since there is no aggro or control. I've never played the game but I enjoy watching Lifecoach stream it

I've been playing injustice 2 though cause I love superheroes plus there is still the 1v1 aspect and also the bonus I can play it with Gaf

tempo is something that develops throughout a game it's not an archetype. Secret Mage is still running 2 of each frostbolt, fireball, firelands portal and medivh's valet in addition to a much lower curve.

patchday

even if you really super hate quest rogue, it's at most like 10 percent of the decks you run into

I don't get it

at higher ranks you'll see more. I've just logged on to do my quests on ladder (standard) and I've had to fight 2 of them.

its depressing every rogue is a Quest rogue. it is capable of so much more

edit- at rank 13 right now. just havent played much at all this month. I think I'm happy with the game but just huge backlist of games I am trying to burn through

Finally won up to 10 this weekend. Don't think I'm going to bother trying for 5. The extra effort I'd have to put in isn't worth it. I'll just watch Netflix and play silly decks for my quests. I really enjoy the ranked floors. Lets you experiment against decent opponents.

I feel you. I played a bunch to get to high ranks last season but this season just want to lay back and chill. just want to play fun decks and grind golden hero wins

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
When you get "comboed" on turn four or five can you really say the deck is not aggro? Midrange is something that has also lost all meaning. Hunter is a little slower to push damage out than other aggro decks so people just call them "midrange". It's the same for something like Murloc Paladin really. Hearthstone's meta right now just feels like a bad joke. The transition between seasons was just brutal to loads of classes, so there are a bunch of binary gimmick decks floating around. A number of these deck types will not survive once the card base is built out more solidly with another expansion. I don't think any of the quests will be played one or two expansions down the road.

tempo is something that develops throughout a game it's not an archetype.

Secret mage is a tempo deck as it reduces the cost of your secrets to 0 with cards like kabal lackey (recently being cut) or kirin tor mage. Another example is tempo mage reducing spell cost with sorceress apprentice and gaining huge tempo swings off flamewaker by spending very little mana for huge board impact.

Firelands portal is another tempo card, as it creates a huge tempo swing. It's impact is much higher than 7 mana, more like 8 or 9 mana when all is said and done.

Medivh valet is a 2 mana card that plays a 2/3 and removes 3 health. Another example of a tempo card.

Frostbolt is not your typical 2 mana spell because of the freeze effect being stacked on top and fireball is more like a 5 mana spell.

Then we have the 5/5 which is reduced by every secret played by 2 mana. Yet another card designed around tempo. Even a 4 mana 5/5 is a strong tempo push.

Secret mage is definitely a tempo deck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

The desire to climb is holding you back from enjoying the game. I instantly concede against quest rogue and am happier for it.

Only PW and token druid are aggro decks being played atm. Everything else is midrange, control, or combo.
I can't speak to your experience, but Pirate Warrior is a huge % of my matches, as is Token Druid.

I feel like the elders scrolls card game isn't very Aggro dominate
I never hear anything about that game. How is it doing?

secret mage is also aggro

It's tempo or midrange. Aggro mage is much more burn oriented, like gunther mage but faster with less value cards and more card cycle.
I think the deck is undeniably a tempo deck, but it can play out as an aggro deck if you draw all the nuts perfectly.

If I play another card game it would be Gwent since there is no aggro or control. I've never played the game but I enjoy watching Lifecoach stream it

I've been playing injustice 2 though cause I love superheroes plus there is still the 1v1 aspect and also the bonus I can play it with Gaf
Gwent puts me to sleep. So little interaction.

tempo is something that develops throughout a game it's not an archetype. Secret Mage is still running 2 of each frostbolt, fireball, firelands portal and medivh's valet in addition to a much lower curve.
A tempo deck is one that attempts to create a board swing at some point through using multiple cards that have a high impact on the board for their cost. Tempo Mage is the clearest example - it's not an aggro deck unless you get a perfect hand. You bide your time until you get Flamewaker plus Sorcerer's apprentice and some cheap spells. Then you unload on the board and the opponent never gets control back. I think Secret Mage plays similarly unless you get a perfect curve and just the right secrets.

Sande

When you get "comboed" on turn four or five can you really say the deck is not aggro? Midrange is something that has also lost all meaning. Hunter is a little slower to push damage out than other aggro decks so people just call them "midrange". It's the same for something like Murloc Paladin really.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I was saying a few days ago. If your gameplan involves killing me by turn 10, you're playing an aggressive deck. I don't really care at that point whether the average game length is 6 turns or 8.

Hunter in particular concedes on the spot when they can't burst you down immediately, so it's definitely still an aggro deck.

Of course there's some use in making a distinction between the most balls to the wall face decks and decks that are a bit slower, but that doesn't make "there are only 2 aggro decks" a reasonable response to people being sick of how aggressive HS is.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally decided to spend the 400 dust for a second Southsea Captain. Unfortunately, I still only went 5/6 with it at rank 10. I now have the ideal pirate warrior deck, as far as I know, besides Captain Greenskin + Leeroy (I still use a substitute).

The worst part is, even if I had won an additional game for a 60% win rate, that's only 1-2 stars gained over a 1 hour period. Unless I got lucky with winstreaks, it would take 10+ hours of playing with that winrate to rank up to 5, which is just nuts.

I keep thinking that finishing up decks will improve my winrates, but it hasn't held out in practice. I could go through the work of posting replays again but it's so close to the end of the season I'm not sure if I'll have time to play.

If it matters, my last 10 opponents were:

1x warlock
3x warrior (1-2 quest, 1-2 pirate, I forget exactly)
2x priest
2x mage
1x hunter
1x druid

Top Bottom