• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

DigiMish

I agree with whoever said FUCK THAT to the the encounter with the flame dudes in that room where there's literally no cover. Even on normal, I died on that part like 5 times. Gonna be a huge pain in the ass on Crushing. And yes, I know that there's a lot of RPG's and Hammers in there - but when you have to go find a new one - the enemies just swarm you.

Not to mention they can just teleport right near you. Easily, the worst combat section of the game, probably just ran out of time.

DigiMish said:
I agree with whoever said FUCK THAT to the the encounter with the flame dudes in that room where there's literally no cover. Even on normal, I died on that part like 5 times. Gonna be a huge pain in the ass on Crushing. And yes, I know that there's a lot of RPG's and Hammers in there - but when you have to go find a new one - the enemies just swarm you.

Not to mention they can just teleport right near you. Easily, the worst combat section of the game, probably just ran out of time.

I find the TAU pistols to be really effective against them though.

jett

D-Member
DigiMish said:

They die from two Tau shots or two-T-Bolts. Just blindfire the things. It's really not that hard, even on crushing.

Jarmel

Banned
we.are.the.armada said:
You know I think that Drake has lived up to the name as Marlowe asked in question - he made the name his own - in UC1 he finds Francis and believes that he died as a loser later to find out that Francis saved the world. Drake saves the world too. In UC2, Drake is sort of a hero (even though he kind of ruined that village) and finally in UC3, he tries to save Marlowe, the person that damaged him emotionally at that young age and gave him a reason to be obsessed with proving he's something he is not. I think that Drake has earned the name for himself.

Thinking back, the decision by ND to have Nathan fake his name is a genius move. In one moment they make Nathan, the everday man. He wasn't great because he was born into it or had some distant ancestry but rather his actions and like Sully said at the end "It's what you do with the hand given to you". It makes him even more impressive as an individual seeing what he's accomplished. There's nothing noticeable about Drake except his intelligence. He wasn't born wealthy, he's not the best fighter, he doesn't have a name or important parents. He is where he is because of himself. And I think the overarching theme of the story is Nate coming to grips with that himself in that he should be proud of himself and his own achievements even if he was born a nobody. He's more of a heir to Francis Drake than if he had been blood-related to the man.

Elena looked really good.
KuGsj.gif
@ alien.

And seriously... the spiders. Does anyone have an explanation. I thought they would be guardians led by some Gohma spider of an ancient artifact but they were just placed all over the map and a conclusion was never drawn. Nothing there for us to infer either.

not being related to Sir Drake kinda makes Nate look like a crazy person in Uncharted 1. I guess that's why I'm not feeling it. If it was something that was hinted at in the beginning I could get behind it but it feels like something that was added with no thought about the previous games.

I was happy enough to find out Sir Drake did have children with a mistress and the family line was hidden away. Too bad it's a lie though

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Marius_ said:
would explain why he dumped her
Its not implied that he "dumped" her, just that there were too many issues with his obsession with treasure hunting. I think one day he just left treasure hunting without saying a word. They never really explain these things though, like in UC2 its implied Elena broke up with Drake between UC1 and UC2 when Chloe said "awe, she broke your heart" after they met Elena.

Too many break-ups between these two... That's another one of my issues, its like those stupid shows where they can't let the couples stay together just so they can "reunite" them again at the end.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
WTF happened to Clhoe and Cutter?

cluxdeluxe said:
I guess forums are just for complaining but I thought the game was incredible. Reading all these posts after beating the game made me feel like I shouldn't of had fun while playing the game.

also this. I thought the game was phenomenal. The desert scene was probably the most immersed I've ever been in a game. I swear I got thirsty during that scene lol.

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:
Thinking back, the decision by ND to have Nathan fake his name is a genius move. In one moment they make Nathan, the everday man. He wasn't great because he was born into it or had some distant ancestry but rather his actions and like Sully said at the end "It's what you do with the hand given to you". It makes him even more impressive as an individual seeing what he's accomplished. There's nothing noticeable about Drake except his intelligence. He wasn't born wealthy, he's not the best fighter, he doesn't have a name or important parents. He is where he is because of himself. And I think the overarching theme of the story is Nate coming to grips with that himself in that he should be proud of himself and his own achievements even if he was born a nobody. He's more of a heir to Francis Drake than if he had been blood-related to the man.

slowclap.gif
Must remember this post for later quoting.

Represent. said:
The desert scene was probably the most immersed I've ever been in a game. I swear I got thirsty during that scene lol.

Yeah, that scene was great. I actually felt excited when he found that little bit of water.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Represent. said:
WTF happened to Clhoe and Cutter?

also this. I thought the game was phenomenal. The desert scene was probably the most immersed I've ever been in a game. I swear I got thirsty during that scene lol.
As someone had mentioned before I think they didn't have more cutter because his VA had a starring role in the hobbit and it caused schedule conflicts.

Jarmel said:

Damn Jarmel, you put it perfectly :)

If I may add that this sort of insecurity in a person often leads to introspection, which in Drake's case, he never let it hinder his ambition. You nailed it in the bolded area man.

LiK

I finished it last night and the final 1/3 was INCREDIBLE.

When they faked Sully's death, I thought it was real too. Really loved how much Sully was in the game and was there at the end as well.

Elena was great too. I dunno why but when she finally appeared, she made the game really warm up. I guess her presence is just as important as Drake himself.

I was a bit disappointed how Chloe didn't play a big a role as UC2 but it's understandable from the story's standpoint. Cutter was awesome. Great voice actor for a design that looked like your usual goon in the UC series.

Also loved the final shot. Brings back memories of the first game. You win ND.

hamchan

So Nate was just a lonely, adventurous kid with no parents, so he made up that he was a descendant of Sir Francis Drake. That's kinda sad :(

Also Sully is super awesome. Now thinking back to Uncharted 1, Elena even suggesting that Sully could have betrayed Nate to Roman is hilarious. Sure, she didn't know that Sully had known Nate for 16 years and is pretty much a father to him, but it's still funny to look back with the knowledge we gained from UC3.

I was a little disappointed that there was no further explanation of Sully hanging out with the old lady 20 years earlier, or did I miss something?

Also, the spiders. No explanation of that?

LiK

BruiserBear said:
I was a little disappointed that there was no further explanation of Sully hanging out with the old lady 20 years earlier, or did I miss something?

Also, the spiders. No explanation of that?
Sully mentioned in one cutscene w/ young Drake that he was hired to help her in so many words. As for their relationship, he probably banged her too during his job.

I think the spiders are probably the result of the hallucinagen chemicals and maybe the brass container is the main source.

LiK said:
Sully mentioned in one cutscene w/ young Drake that he was hired to help her in so many words. As for their relationship, he probably banged her too during his job.

I think the spiders are probably the result of the hallucinagen chemicals and maybe the brass container is the main source.

Yeah, I remember Sully saying he was just hired, but I sort of hoped there might be a deeper storyline there.

But didn't all of them see the spiders when inside that well in Yemen? Did all 3 of them drink something?

LiK

BruiserBear said:
Yeah, I remember Sully saying he was just hired, but I sort of hoped there might be a deeper storyline there.

But didn't all of them see the spiders when inside that well in Yemen? Did all 3 of them drink something?
Oh, I mean the spiders probably soaked up the chemicals and mutated. They were real, not hallucinations. Dunno why they were in all the locations you visited tho.

hamchan said:
The spiders were real. There is no explanation for them, like those man eating beetles from The Mummy.

Here's what I think:

The people responsible for hiding the temple that showed the constellation map to pinpoint Ubar's location used the spiders as a way to kill intruders that entered the area.

The spiders themselves were possibly mutated by the chemical in the water, although we never see them in Ubar (except Drake's hallucination).

In Marlowe's library, there is a spider in a jar - this possibly links the spiders to the water to the hallucinogen that Talbot uses in his darts.

I think that ND should have used the spiders one more time, perhaps at the very end of Ubar's final act, showing that they are the last inhabitants of the city and linking their connection to the two knight graves and the constellation temple.

I guess the spiders got to France/Syria through eggs already in some of the artifacts or on stones taken from the constellation temple.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I really wish Talbot had survived - it was cool seeing an anti-Drake. I also liked that Charlie wasn't an idiot and had his own journal figuring out things. I hope the secret society comes after Drake and Co. in the fourth game.

I'm watching my girlfriend play through the game, after I finished it..
My top 3 moments in the game:

1) The horse vs caravan setpiece - jumping back and forth on your horse was amazing
2) Entire plane chapter especially when you get thrown off it
3) Inception moment when you're climbing out of the sinking ship

This game makes you feel like a fucking badass, way more than UC2 or any FPS's out there IMO.

Also the attention to detail in this game (graphically) is so incredible.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I'm watching my girlfriend play through the game, after I finished it..
My top 3 moments in the game:

1) The horse vs caravan setpiece - jumping back and forth on your horse was amazing
2) Entire plane chapter especially when you get thrown off it
3) Inception moment when you're climbing out of the sinking ship

This game makes you feel like a fucking badass, way more than UC2 or any FPS's out there IMO.

Also the attention to detail in this game (graphically) is so incredible.

Yeah, those 3 moments were probably my highlights as well, and yes, they were most definitely badass.

Mudron

Just posting a note that the (wonky) podcast I host with a friend just went live with our Uncharted 3 spoiler episode - we talk about a lot of the things brought up in this thread - what the hell is up with Talbot, the significance of Nathan Drake not actually being a Drake, etc.:

http://boyhowdy.org/

Theres one thing that bugs me, and this is in retrospective after the first game. This whole mystery has been fueling Nate since he was a kid. But in DF, he was willing to leave the ring with Francis, knowing that Marlowe still had the decoder. Of course the stories are made up as ND go along but it's just something that bothered me.

Course you could rationalize it as originally intended and Nate just thought the ring should be with Francis.

Just beat the game last night. Loved it, but holy shit some of those gun fights....so fucking frustrating. We all know now that the gameplay videos ND put out were probably them playing on easy or with god mode. I mean did they even test some of these encounters all the way?

I am going to take like a week break before I even go through on crushing. Many things in my living room with be broken.

Ra1den

Domcorleone said:
im surprised people didnt like the ship graveyard, that was one of my favorite parts. ?

From what I can tell, most people loved that part. I consider from that chapter onwards to the end of the ship scenes (chapter 17 or so?) to be the best part of the game by far.

Anyone else kind of disappointed that they didn't include weapon bonuses in single player after beating the game? I mean fuck, I loved replaying U2 with the magnum.

Still, any theories as to why the tarot cards were involved and/or their effect on Charlie? Was Talbot just playing games and being theatrical or did he lace the card with drugs or something?

Ahhhh yeah! Your Uncharted 3 tastes like sweet ________.

I love how the series always makes you feel like one man, a flawed man, against all odds and you barely make it out. Not the typical "I'm a fucking too cool for school badass" kind of guy. Drake's an everyman.

vicmackey.jpg

LiK said:
We never got Drake's real name right?

Nathaniel Dog

LiK said:
The horse/convoy level was so gorgeous

Oh yeah, definite Last Crusade vibes from that entire last portion of the game with some of The Mummy tossed in. But that was a fantastic chase level.

Someone in the official thread pointed out the clever use of memes in the game and I will definitely admit I laughed at most of those quotes. 'Bitch be tripping balls' and 'This is why we can't have nice things' made me laugh out loud, especially since they were so apt for the situations.

Mikey Jr.

Loved it.

Some parts though it felt like you could stealth all of it, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't.

1. On the cruise ship level, the part with the 2 chandeliers swinging, can you stealth it? I can take out maybe 2 guys before I get spotted. Too many bad guys not moving.

2. That large arena in the level before you get onto the plane. Its night time, and there are bad guys walking around with flashlights on them. I can kill almost all of them, but near a door, there are 2 dudes just standing with their backs against a wall. I'm guessing you have to set off the alarm?

Auron_Kale said:
Oh yeah, definite Last Crusade vibes from that entire last portion of the game with some of The Mummy tossed in. But that was a fantastic chase level.

Someone in the official thread pointed out the clever use of memes in the game and I will definitely admit I laughed at most of those quotes. 'Bitch be tripping balls' and 'This is why we can't have nice things' made me laugh out loud, especially since they were so apt for the situations.
Funny but felt soo out of place lol.

Mikey Jr. said:
Loved it.

Some parts though it felt like you could stealth all of it, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't.

1. On the cruise ship level, the part with the 2 chandeliers swinging, can you stealth it? I can take out maybe 2 guys before I get spotted. Too many bad guys not moving.

2. That large arena in the level before you get onto the plane. Its night time, and there are bad guys walking around with flashlights on them. I can kill almost all of them, but near a door, there are 2 dudes just standing with their backs against a wall. I'm guessing you have to set off the alarm?
lol we just talked about both sections. I think the answer is no to both.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Synless said:
I hope they make on last game to clear this up. It really was the one part that by the end of the game had me shaking my head.
Not sure we need another game to clear up that his name is John Somethingsomething. This game explains that he had a troubled childhood, was fascinated by adventure, and he built this "long lost descendant of a famous explorer" persona as an escapist fantasy he never got over. I doubt there's anything interesting needing to be told here (unless the fans make a fuss and another story is shoehorned to flesh it out).

Quick

Banned
One of my favourite moments in the game was at the ghost town while Nate's shooting up bad guys. As he kept going, more enemies kept coming. At one point, I said to myself "these assholes won't stop coming! And a second later, Nate said almost the same thing in-game. I started laughing, and I thought I really had to take on all of them until Salim came and rescued him.

Nate tripping out on the drug and running off around the city was awesome. The desert scene was amazing. I thought they were going to do some mystical thing to get Sully back, but I liked that it was only Nate tripping out on the water. Can't lose Sully just yet!

My favourite puzzle had to be the
room with the various bodyparts skewered on poles. It was actually pretty creepy, but solving it was very satisfying. Took me a good 10 minutes to figure it out.

I would usually give up on a puzzle after a couple of tries and look it up online, but I decided not to in this game, and it felt good solving them. Some of them were easy, some of them took a good few minutes to really figure out.

And I know it was in the trailer or a preview, but I still had to laugh out loud when Sully said "well, well, well" when they opened up the well, and Nate said "cute," and had to explain the joke to Elena.

The final fight with Talbot was awesome. It was easy, but I enjoyed how cinematic it was. People say that Uncharted is too cinematic for their taste, but I find that it works, especially with that fight. Marlowe getting sucked into the sinkhole is such an Indy moment. Love it.

I don't know if it's because Nate kept saying it in the game, or if I kept saying it while playing, but "Oh crap" has re-entered my vocabulary. :lol

keltickennedy said:
Anyone else kind of disappointed that they didn't include weapon bonuses in single player after beating the game? I mean fuck, I loved replaying U2 with the magnum.

YES YES OH GOD YES.... why do developers make stupid decisions.

I finished this game and there are a lot of things that made cringe. The thing that made me cringe the most was the repetitive Drake fake falling sequences, and him hanging at a ledge or bars at a ship etc... I mean how many time do we have to do the same thing? The spiders did not make any sense. Drake´s real name was not explained. The zombie like body in France made me think that there are super natural elements in the game. How did Cutter got involved in all of this? And why? Marlow´s past. The set piece were made just to show the tech of the game, and not to benefit the overall story. Why there are no cutscene videos when we finish the game. I always watch cutscenes when i finish a game. And finally the aiming did not work well.

Overall it´s a good game but i enjoyed U2 much more.

I always kept thinking that Cutter will betray Drake at any moment in the game. It´s nice that it was not predictable.

You realize there is just as much platforming and probably more puzzles in UC3 than 2 right? And why the fuck would you want MORE Elena? Am I the only one that finds her incredibly annoying? Chloe > Elena
I agree with you on this one. The ending did not make any sense to me. There were clearly some deep division between Nate and Elena, yet they reconciled very easily. And when Sully points at the plane i thought it was Chloe and Cutter coming to pick them up. I am disappointed that they do not show Chloe and Cutter at the end.

LiK

Jocchan said:
Probably, time constraints. Which is extremely sad.

Wario asked Arne on Twitter and Arne said that it constantly broke the game when they allowed cheats or any other things not part of the main game. Kinda sucks, oh well.

Beam said:
I agree with you on this one. The ending did not make any sense to me. There were clearly some deep division between Nate and Elena, yet they reconciled very easily. And when Sully points at the plane i thought it was Chloe and Cutter coming to pick them up. I am disappointed that they do not show Chloe and Cutter at the end.

would've been nice if there was an epilogue showing them all together or something.

Quick said:
One of my favourite moments in the game was at the ghost town while Nate's shooting up bad guys. As he kept going, more enemies kept coming. At one point, I said to myself "these assholes won't stop coming! And a second later, Nate said almost the same thing in-game. I started laughing, and I thought I really had to take on all of them until Salim came and rescued him.

I did the same thing.

The final fight with Talbot was awesome. It was easy, but I enjoyed how cinematic it was. People say that Uncharted is too cinematic for their taste, but I find that it works, especially with that fight. Marlowe getting sucked into the sinkhole is such an Indy moment. Love it.

Definitely the best of the final bosses. I even missed a couple counters on purpose so Drake would get slashed. It seemed appropriate for Talbot to get a couple hits in.

Ra1den

Beam said:
The set piece were made just to show the tech of the game, and not to benefit the overall story. .

This makes no sense at all. What would be a setpiece they could have used that DOES benefit the story then?

Jocchan said:
Probably, time constraints. Which is extremely sad.

I hope this isn't a result of more time being worked on multiplayer, so features that were going to be in single player were dropped. Don't let multiplayer EVER effect this amazing single player experience.

LiK

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Definitely the best of the final bosses. I even missed a couple counters on purpose so Drake would get slashed. It seemed appropriate for Talbot to get a couple hits in.

Talbot was such an asshole. Really liked that fight as well.

Pranay

keltickennedy said:

They couldnt due to bugs

Top Bottom