• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

W1SSY

Zoibie said:
I think I remember Drake saying at that point "got to get a gun", although that might have been at a different place.
If that is true that part is brutal because you have no cover and have multiple guys shooting at you.

braves01

Banned
Zoibie said:
I think I remember Drake saying at that point "got to get a gun", although that might have been at a different place.

He definitely says that when he enters the settlement after the desert sequence and sees all of Marlowe's men. I don't know about the Cutter scene though.

Zoibie

Yeah, doesn't seem like he does say that, but when you run down the stairs, you can press square and jump on the guy running up the stairs to instantly take him out and get is weapon.

eLGee

There was a piece of dialouge that I thought would've been nice to have in the scene where Cutter confronts Sully about killing him like a rabid dog:

- You wouldn't really have shot me, right?
- Like a rabid dog.
- Oh. I mean that little to you, do I?
- No, he means THAT much to me. (referring to Drake)

These two extra lines may have been implied, but I think it really strengthens the idea of Sully's loyalty for Drake. Also, it would've tied up the strained dynamic between Sully and Cutter, I felt it was left a bit sloppy.

Raonak

Banned
eLGee said:
There was a piece of dialouge that I thought would've been nice to have in the scene where Cutter confronts Sully about killing him like a rabid dog:

- Like a rabid dog.

These two extra lines may have been implied, but I think it really strengthens the idea of Sully's loyalty for Drake. Also, it would've tied up the strained dynamic between Sully and Cutter, I felt it was left a bit sloppy.
I donno, i couldn't see sully saying something like that; would sound forced.

hamchan

I first thought Talbot was an immortal vampire or something because of that dead goon found in the Chateau. I thought Talbot sucked up his life juice. Then when Cutter shot him and he didn't get hurt. Another sign he was a vampire. Alas, my theory didn't come to pass.

Also Charlie Cutter is a great character. I'm so happy he didn't end up betraying the group. I really like how he's just a rougher looking British version of Nathan Drake. He even has the wisecracking abilities!

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
eLGee said:

- Like a rabid dog.

Oh look! George Lucas is a Gaffer!

;)

Am I the only one feeling that the ending was thoroughly rushed? I hate open-ended endings, so if it's to set up Uncharted 4, it's really annoying. I thought the whole last level was anti-climactic, compared. Not the set pieces, they were great and good looking as always, but the story was extremely disappointing and it left a sour taste aftwards. It doesn't really make sense to stop having supernatural elements in the middle of a series, imo, it's more believable to have them than not when it's been in the first two already. Maybe they wanted it to be a twist, since we all probably expected some supernatural enemies or stuff. The spiders are also seriously underplayed, it was obviously some unique kind of spider, some of which were afraid of light and some that weren't.

The whole ending feels like they had too little time, and was hellbent on getting the release out for the five pillars date (01.11.11). I was going to play it again after the first time through, but since the story ended in such an anticlimactic way, I don't feel like playing it again.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
StarEye said:
It doesn't really make sense to stop having supernatural elements in the middle of a series, imo, it's more believable to have them than not when it's been in the first two already. Maybe they wanted it to be a twist, since we all probably expected some supernatural enemies or stuff.
The game builds up certain expectations (based on past games/events) intentionally, only to subvert them and deceive the player.

First, even before the game released, the player thinks Cutter is one of the bad guys (he was even in the Villains team during the beta). He isn't, he's one of the good guys.
Then the player is led to expect him to betray the group. He doesn't, he's loyal to the end.
Then the player opens some door in Syria that should be leading the second knight's tomb. It doesn't, it's just a closet.
Then the player expects a supernatural twist to show up. It doesn't, it's just a hallucination.
Then the player expects the villains to unleash the djinn for the final boss fight. They don't, Drake stops them in time.

There are more examples throughout the game, I just tried to keep the list short, but it's easy to see how it was a pretty intentional motif, more than just a bunch of small twists (or non-twists for things not happening).

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jocchan said:
The game builds up certain expectations (based on past games/events) intentionally, only to subvert them and deceive the player.

First, even before the game released, the player thinks Cutter is one of the bad guys (he was even in the Villains team during the beta). He isn't, he's one of the good guys.
Then the player is led to expect him to betray the group. He doesn't, he's loyal to the end.
Then the player opens some door in Syria that should be leading the second knight's tomb. It doesn't, it's just a closet.
Then the player expects a supernatural twist to show up. It doesn't, it's just a hallucination.
Then the player expects the villains to unleash the djinn for the final boss fight. They don't, Drake stops them in time.

There are more examples throughout the game, I just tried to keep the list short, but it's easy to see how it was a pretty intentional motif, more than just a bunch of small twists (or non-twists for things not happening).

Yeah I get what you're saying, but I don't think decieving the player when it's done like that is a good thing in games/movies. That's kinda like promising your five year old son cake when he gets home, only to serve him broccoli. Wrong kind of deception, imo. I hate stories that only kinda works the first time through.

test_account

XP-39C²
we.are.the.armada said:
Yeah, it's almost like they wanted you to recognize it in that shot of the lid. It looked familiar, like it was drawn on something in the game. I wonder what was inside; what the "Djinn" was. Just a bunch of powder, or maybe a gross-ass shriveled up conjoined twin mummy baby.
Exactly. I wonder if Djinn, if that is related to the word genie (djinni). Probably not, but it sounds a bit the same at least hehe. But yeah, i wish that they opened it, so we could see what was inside the container =)

I also didnt realize before today that Marlowe was suppose to be like Queen Elizabeth, Talbot like John Dee and Nate as Francis Drake.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
test_account said:
Exactly. I wonder if Djinn, if that is related to the word genie (djinni). Probably not, but it sounds a bit the same at least hehe. But yeah, i wish that they opened it, so we could see what was inside the container =)

I thought a Djinn is a god?

hamchan

Considering the history this series has with the supernatural it probably is a real djinn locked up in that jar.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
StarEye said:
Yeah I get what you're saying, but I don't think decieving the player when it's done like that is a good thing in games/movies. That's kinda like promising your five year old son cake when he gets home, only to serve him broccoli. Wrong kind of deception, imo. I hate stories that only kinda works the first time through.
Oh, I agree. Expecting something to happen and then nothing happening leaves you with a feeling of something lacking (the payoff). Still, I like getting surprised, and the game did it quite well most of the time.

LaneDS

How much does co-op adventure spoil of the main campaign? Got a couple friends who aren't too far into single player that would like to try it this weekend, so I'd appreciate any info on this.

iNvid02

LaneDS said:
How much does co-op adventure spoil of the main campaign? Got a couple friends who aren't too far into single player that would like to try it this weekend, so I'd appreciate any info on this.

i've only played a few games but its got nothing to do with the story
i remember nd saying its a sort of alternate universe thing

Raonak

Banned
test_account said:
I just checked on Wikipedia and it says that it is either some type of spirit or demon.

well, nate(or was it sully) did say sometime about a genie (jokingly i think)

Raonak

Banned
LaneDS said:

ND and i heard in one of the reviews, it does spoil some SP stuff.

Finished on Normal. Dear Naughty Dog, you don't have to put a gunfight in EVERY chapter. I usually prefer the climbing portions of Uncharted. Somewhere after the sandstorm fight did fighting stop being fun, especially the fiery teleporting thugs.

I was so glad to see the game begin to go a route where it has its supporting cast call its protagonist out and ask him "Why do you do what you do?" and "What are you trying to prove?" and yet none of that seems to go anywhere by a rushed endgame. I know Drake tells Marlowe has has nothing to prove by that point but I never get that sense in the final scene.

I didn't care for playing as young Drake but I liked that they told that story, if it makes sense. I personally think we never really had to know Drake and Sully's history, but it's nice that they come out and establish a father/son relationship.

Great performances from the cast though, and it makes me wonder how in hell other games can't nail that kind of natural-sounding dialogue. This series manages the rare feat of playing because you WANT to see the cutscene. Some gorgeous looking environments and I can't wait until the soundtrack is available.

I think I still like Uncharted 2 more, but this game nailed it with the intense moments.

test_account

XP-39C²
hamchan said:
Considering the history this series has with the supernatural it probably is a real djinn locked up in that jar.
Indeed. Imagine running from a huge genie at the end before the whole city collapse and the genie is being trapped forever :)

Raonak said:
well, nate(or was it sully) did say sometime about a genie (jokingly i think)
Ah yes, that is correct, i forgot about that

Raonak said:
ND and i heard in one of the reviews, it does spoil some SP stuff.
There are some levels set pieces from SP in the coop, but story wise it is nothing from SP as far as i've played and remember at least.

test_account said:
Indeed. Imagine running from a huge genie at the end before the whole city collapse and the genie is being trapped forever :)

I was getting so excited to fight Ifrit, hallucination or otherwise.

The other villains were out of the way and no way would that pot survive all of that destruction, as Nate and Sully ride out all of the stuff that had been built up about Talbot was going through my mind, that he'd cheated death and walked through walls, obviously he'd survive the fall and open the jar or
fuse with the demon lol
and Ifrit would burst out in an eruption of flames kinda like Ganon in OoT. The music was pumping and I was sitting on the edge of my seat going "oh my god, oh my god.." and then the trophy came up for beating the game and the screen faded to black.

:(

test_account

XP-39C²
Spiffy_1st said:
I was getting so excited to fight Ifrit, hallucination or otherwise.

The other villains were out of the way and no way would that pot survive all of that destruction, as Nate and Sully ride out all of the stuff that had been built up about Talbot was going through my mind, that he'd cheated death and walked through walls, obviously he'd survive the fall and open the jar or
fuse with the demon lol
and Ifrit would burst out in an eruption of flames kinda like Ganon in OoT. The music was pumping and I was sitting on the edge of my seat going "oh my god, oh my god.." and then the trophy came up for beating the game and the screen faded to black.

:(
Hehe yeah, i agree that the end came a bit "sudden", eventhough i though that the last part was amazing. I actually got a bit chills when all that sand starting to pour down and all, such crazy scene and it looks so good :)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
W1SSY said:
If that is true that part is brutal because you have no cover and have multiple guys shooting at you.

Just dive on the guy running up the steps and take his gun. Its all set up for you.

Phenomic

The only complaint I have aside from the techincal aspect of the shooting and even that is whatever.

The damn blur effect when Drake was drugged just hurt the hell out of my eyes ... why the hell do they gotta put stuff like that in video games.

Gooster said:
Finished on Normal. Dear Naughty Dog, you don't have to put a gunfight in EVERY chapter.
It's funny you say that when this game had several chapters with no shooting at all. Far more than the previous two games combined.

Phenomic said:
The only complaint I have aside from the techincal aspect of the shooting and even that is whatever.

The damn blur effect when Drake was drugged just hurt the hell out of my eyes ... why the hell do they gotta put stuff like that in video games.

That part was one of my favourite parts of the game. Without that and young Drake it would have just been UC2.5. Saying that, QTE boss fistfight and crumbling lost city again. Come on ND guys, couldn't you have come up with something better than that?

Phenomic

Kenshin001 said:
That part was one of my favourite parts of the game. Without that and young Drake it would have just been UC2.5. Saying that, QTE boss fistfight and crumbling lost city again. Come on ND guys, couldn't you have come up with something better than that?

Don't get me wrong... the idea is totally cool. I just something about blur effects really makes my vision go goofy. I think that and the combination that I played to finished the game too long tonight just made me feel weird. I feel like there was one other game in the last 5 years that did something similar and the same thing happened. Don't remember which one though.

Carbonox

Just finished the game. Honestly, the story is fucking pony. All this build up to absolutely fucking zero. All that kept me playing this were the environments, set-pieces and visual awesomesauce. The rest of the game is pretty dire.

You know something went amiss when the only thing I want to know is: What is Nathan's real name? Or was that just a joke on Marlowe's part. Speaking of Marlowe, what a waste of a potentially great character. The only interesting in the story was the interactions between Sully and Nate, and the look in to Nate's childhood.

Incredibly disappointed overall. I think the formula has worn off on me now, I very much doubt I will get a 4th game. I can't even begin to imagine how they could make a 4th without it being very stale and samey.

They sure do say "shit" so much more now than they did in the previous entries. I dont mind it, but damn. I think Nate dropped it three times or so in UC and maybe slightly more in UC2. For UC3, not only do we get multiple "shits" at the best times possible, we almost get to hear Nate tell Talbot to go fuck himself when he tells everyone to throw down their weapons in Chapter 9 .

Shoulda been rated M but I understand for sales purposes and all. Chapter 12 on is basically Drake meets Die Hard.

That was an awesome ride. The last third of the game is probably some of the best gaming this year. I loved the hallucinatory bits, in Chapter 18 where Nate is wandering through the desert and then in Chapter 21 where the water fucks his head up. Those were some of my favourite bits, and I love ND for putting those in. The set pieces in the game were fantastic, especially the ship/plane/convoy. Loved the convoy.

The acting was also superb in this game. More than the other two games, this one really fleshed out Drake and Sully, and both North and MacGonagle were fantastic. They hit it out of the park. The villains were pretty cool though a bit under-utilized at the end. That scene between Marlowe and Drake after his Chapter 9 freak-out was really good, and I was kinda hoping for more than that. I also thought Talbot had more potential. I liked his nature of being theatrical and fucking with people's heads. I'm sorta hoping he and Eddy come back in a future game. That would be awesome. By no means do I think that's the end of the secret society. There are some plot holes and nitpicks I could make, but overall, I really liked it. I liked the "supernatural" in this game a heck of a lot better than El Dorado/Shambala. Very clever twist. And I think that really was a djinn in the brass vessel, leaching out into the water and driving everyone into madness.

Also, ending was really sweet. I really liked that.

Anyone know what track starts playing during Chapter 21 near the end of Nate's trip-out when he's fighting the last group of enemies before he sees himself in the pool?

leng jai

How can one be burnt out on the UC formula? You play it once every two years and AFAIK there aren't any other games like it.

LiK

leng jai said:
How can one be burnt out on the UC formula? You play it once every two years and AFAIK there aren't any other games like it.

yup, i don't get that complaint. so silly.

Synless

leng jai said:
If anyone should be burnt out on anything, it should be CoD or Assassins Creed. Once every year is too much imo. 2-3 years is perfect. I also thought U3 had more diversity in its gameplay than the previous titles. Car chases, on-foot chases through cities and buildings, gunplay, puzzles, hand to hand combat and adventuring all in one.

Synless said:
If anyone should be burnt out on anything, it should be CoD or Assassins Creed. Once every year is too much imo. 2-3 years is perfect. I also thought U3 had more diversity in its gameplay than the previous titles. Car chases, on-foot chases through cities and buildings, gunplay, puzzles, hand to hand combat and adventuring all in one.

Amen.

Synless said:

Amen.

UC4 = PS4 launch title

sorry for the dub.

Synless said:

I feel you are presenting it as a false choice. I am burned out on Call of Duty, so I didn't buy Black Ops and I won't buy MW3. (OR B3). I am burned out on Assassin's Creed, but I like the story and continue to play the games for their story (and multi played was refreshingly fun). With U3, I feel that the "formula" was more apparent, such as convey=truck chase. Or the desert=village. And because they didn't push the character arcs forward, these mirror-ish levels feel more formulaic than if the story progressed more.

Carbonox

Because it's pretty much the exact same pacing in all the games? Exact same focus on big set pieces, fancy environments, character traits, jammy combat, intricate puzzles, etc. It's no different than getting bored of something like Indiana Jones (you heathen!) because there might only so much you can take of the characters or so much of the themes of each adventure copying. The 2 year per game comment is irrelevant. I'm just bored of Drake's adventures with Sully and the rest now. I can understand why so much people would remain invested but I'm spent now.

Overall, it's incredibly easy to be burnt out by the formula. I loved Uncharted 2 and felt it was a massive step up from the first game but Uncharted 3 was a disappointment in comparison, and now I can understand Eurogamer's stance which caused such an uproar here.

You know there's a formula when you can predict themes and recurring aspects in each game. If we went back in to the past when Uncharted came out, and predicted what things would be in the next game and the one following that, we'd probably get a shit ton right.

This is a formula that doesn't work for me anymore. I'm just bored of it all now.

brianmcdoogle gets it.

Synless said:

I still crave AC games like a drug. So I ain't burnt out yet :)

But yeah, UC3 is the whole package. I'm amazed at how much awesome stuff they packed into it.

The Lamp

Just beat it, and my thoughts in comparison to the near perfection that was Uncharted 2:
- I can't believe they just let Chloe drop off the face of the earth after Chapter 12 or so. There was also almost no witty banter between her and Nate like before.
- There was no epic real epic villain monologue, which I was totally expecting given how sinister Marlowe is. I'm surprised there was almost no interaction with her once I was searching for my destination. Then she suddenly dies in quicksand with no amazing evil rant from the recesses of her mind. :(
- WTF was she hoisting up from the water? Was it an urn with just the magic water in it, or was it something more than that?

I felt like there was some stuff that was edited out that should have been left in, story-wise.

Also some things like the wandering in the desert, while very atmospheric and beautiful and moody, could have been trimmed and handled better.

It just wasn't as polished as Uncharted 2 was, campaign-wise. Uncharted 2 felt like an inhale all the way up until the final moments of the game.

There was a few too many melee fights....as fun as the melee system was this time around compared to last time, I feel like it would have been better had they removed a few more soldiers from those long melee fight sequences.

There was this spot in the underground of Iram where you came out and could hide beneath some well-thing, and there was ground leading to a building, and beyond was a super high bridge from which snipers and grenade launchers stood. That whole area was kind of cheap because the grenade launcher could 1-hit KO you without you being able to see him.

The fact that Cutter wasn't nearly as interesting as Flynn, and the fact that Talbot was overall a very very weak side villain with hardly anything impressive about his personality, made it really annoying that my final boss fight was with HIM at the end and NOT with Marlowe somehow.

Also, aside from Iram itself, all of the game's major setpieces were spoiled in trailers.

As a single-player campaign, I'd say Uncharted 3 is simply not as polished or well-designed as Uncharted 2. The setpieces were leagues ahead of Uncharted 2's, but the setpieces weren't all I was interested in. I wanted to see leaps and bounds made in the story as well, but overall I found it kind of weak with the fact that they focused it almost entirely around Sully and Nate, with everyone else kind of falling apart to the side. Maybe I say this because I wanted more Chloe and Elena, and I guess that kind of focus was for Uncharted 2, and this time around it was for Sully. But still, I would have preferred more on that end.

jacket320

Some graphic glitches on the boat... f'in loved that chapter:

4UOLH.jpg

VxHVm.jpg

Mf2pu.jpg

...also i kept the pictures of varying size for effect...?

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
That was an awesome ride. The last third of the game is probably some of the best gaming this year. I loved the hallucinatory bits, in Chapter 18 where Nate is wandering through the desert and then in Chapter 21 where the water fucks his head up. Those were some of my favourite bits, and I love ND for putting those in. The set pieces in the game were fantastic, especially the ship/plane/convoy. Loved the convoy.

The acting was also superb in this game. More than the other two games, this one really fleshed out Drake and Sully, and both North and MacGonagle were fantastic. They hit it out of the park. The villains were pretty cool though a bit under-utilized at the end. That scene between Marlowe and Drake after his Chapter 9 freak-out was really good, and I was kinda hoping for more than that. I also thought Talbot had more potential. I liked his nature of being theatrical and fucking with people's heads. I'm sorta hoping he and Eddy come back in a future game. That would be awesome. By no means do I think that's the end of the secret society. There are some plot holes and nitpicks I could make, but overall, I really liked it. I liked the "supernatural" in this game a heck of a lot better than El Dorado/Shambala. Very clever twist. And I think that really was a djinn in the brass vessel, leaching out into the water and driving everyone into madness.

Also, ending was really sweet. I really liked that.

Anyone know what track starts playing during Chapter 21 near the end of Nate's trip-out when he's fighting the last group of enemies before he sees himself in the pool?

I really loved that music in 21, subtle but effective. Think that track is called Mind Games. The whole soundtrack is on iTunes.

The Lamp

OHHH that's what the brass vessel was. The Djinn. I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

I feel like I'm missing something though. What was that ring at the end of the game? Was it the real Drake ring or something? o_o

The Lamp said:
OHHH that's what the brass vessel was. The Djinn. I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

I feel like I'm missing something though. What was that ring at the end of the game? Was it the real Drake ring or something? o_o

His wedding ring.

The Lamp

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
His wedding ring.

When the hell did he marry Elena?

And if they're married, why are they on opposite sides of the world until Drake decides to suddenly go look for trouble?

Are they like....split up until Drake decides that Elena's worth more than his treasure hunting, but not officially divorced, sort of thing?

Top Bottom