• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island |OT| For your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Movie was fun and you can tell the cast and crew had a lot of fun making it. The only letdowns were surprisingly Samuel and John Goodman.

Movie was fun and you can tell the cast and crew had a lot of fun making it. The only letdowns were surprisingly Samuel and John Goodman.
John Goodman's part of the movie was so weird to me
he seemed like driving force of the plot in the beginning and then as soon as they get to the island he speaks like 6 lines and then dies.
he was just so underutilized IMO

Realeza

Banned
Pretty enjoyable. Didn't like it as much as Peter Jackson's King Kong, but still fun monster action.

Visuals were amazing.

If I don't see this tongiht, I won't be able to see this for a few weeks but I'm curious - Do they
return to NYC at all?

pitchfork

Big ol' effects driven monster mash! I loved it!

Incredibly hyped for future entries in this universe after the post credits scene
King Ghidora!!

Highlight of the film for me
Kong having some sushi 'Oldboy' style

Tizoc

I didnt catch the post credit scene since it was midnight when the movie finahed and i was leqving the theater
But the acenes with kong were great, overall good action.

gamz

Big ol' effects driven monster mash! I loved it!

Incredibly hyped for future entries in this universe after the post credits scene
King Ghidora!!

Highlight of the film for me
Kong having some sushi 'Oldboy' style

It was also a nod:
Godzilla Vs. King Kong 1962
kkg%20kong%20vs%20squid%201.jpg

I thought it was kinda pointless as a movie, some fights were good but that's about it. The human characters weren't likeable and some green screen scenes were embarassing.
There directing reminded me a little of Suicide Squad, where I could see some good ideas badly implemented.

It was pretty good. Nice visuals, some insanely aggressive sound design, and interesting action scenes. Besides Reilly's Marlowe the other characters pretty much take a backseat to the creatures. One or two could have been left out entirely.

The review that said it was The Lost World: Jurassic Park directed by Joe Dante in Gremlins mode was spot on. I don't care what anyone says,
the noble sacrifice only to be flicked 1,000 feet away and explode
was just funny.

I liked it! Very Jurassicparklike :D However it must be noted that i liked the Godzilla one more. The ending battle was great in it.

Both suffer from the same issue though of the main evil monsters being just very generic.

Yeah, this was awesome. Lots of fun. The effects were very well done. Kong looked amazing. I really enjoyed the moments where you see him just doing his thing in his downtime. I was worried John C. Reilly would be too much, but his character wound up being surprisingly human. Even though it takes place before Legendary's Godzilla, they did a good job of tying them together. The post-credits scene has me hyped for the future of this series.
Rodan! Mothra! King Ghidorah! I'm really curious if they're all going to be King of the Monsters, or if they'll spread them out. The art implies a huge monster mash, but I hope they save that for King Kong vs Godzilla. Maybe make King Ghidorah the big bag in that movie.

Saw it last night and it is worth seeing for Kong and the other things on the island. Kong shows up early and stays around,unlike Godzilla. The character moments though were so bad some of them are unintentionally funny when they are supposed to be serious.

There is a minor character who dies toward the end and the whole theater erupted in laughter. You should look forward to this horribly put together sequence!

gamz

Saw it last night and it is worth seeing for Kong and the other things on the island. Kong shows up early and stays around,unlike Godzilla. The character moments though were so bad some of them are unintentionally funny when they are supposed to be serious.

There is a minor character who dies toward the end and the whole theater erupted in laughter. You should look forward to this horribly put together sequence!

Which one?

I disagree. I think Sam Ls character is one of only two that is developed. He's a war nut who gets off on war, and his arc in the film felt really natural, unlike most of the other characters aside from Rileys.

Movie felt like two vastly different stories were cherry picked from, and juxtaposed into the final film without much thought.

The pacing is fast enough, and the movie is shot well enough that it's fun. But it is dumb fun, and it hardly is what it could have been. Kong is great, the movie is cheesy, the VFX battles are a wild ride.

The characters are just...there? That circles around to my first point.

That was supposed to be funny. It's supposed to get that reaction.

I don't think so. I think it was hearkening on war movies where people just die, and hardly the way they or you expect.

My theater laughed also, but I think it was meant to be a gut punch.

gamz

Movie felt like two vastly different stories were cherry picked from, and juxtaposed into the final film without much thought.

The pacing is fast enough, and the movie is shot well enough that it's fun. But it is dumb fun, and it hardly is what it could have been. Kong is great, the movie is cheesy, the VFX battles are a wild ride.

The characters are just...there? That circles around to my first point.

I don't think so. I think it was hearkening on war movies where people just die, and hardly the way they or you expect.

My theater laughed also, but I think it was meant to be a gut punch.

No it wasn't. It was meant to be dark humor.
It was obvious after the build up and the flick.

Symphonic

This movie was seriously fun. Lots of creative direction that led to some negatives but mostly positives.

Loved the
Jurassic Park
and
Steve Brule
references. Me and my wife laughed out loud at the latter.

Going tonight at 8 to see it, can't wait. Also managed to snag the Mondo poster for it, only the second time I've been able to get one of their posters before selling out lol

Kong-Skull-Island-Mondo-01.jpg

It's probably because I saw Logan last weekend, but I thought this was really mediocre. The tone was jarring going from gory violence to campy fun and back. Hiddleston and Larson were awful. The natives were almost offensive in their depiction. John C Reilly played himself and was actually the highlight of the film.

Wasn't a fan of the Call of Duty camera angles.

I suppose they were going for a throwback style. It didn't work for me.

Really enjoyed the movie. John C Reilly stole the show and Jackson and some awesome moments. Hiddleston and Brie Larson were hilariously misplaced and were a detriment to the movie IMO. It didn't really effect the overall quality too much though.

The movie still suffered from the usual issue where it felt like you were treading water with the human scenes waiting to get to the good stuff with Kong.
Im so glad I'm not the only one yeah the whole human side just felt off except for when John C Reilly shows up

Symphonic

It's probably because I saw Logan last weekend, but I thought this was really mediocre. The tone was jarring going from gory violence to campy fun and back. Hiddleston and Larson were awful. The natives were almost offensive in their depiction. John C Reilly played himself and was actually the highlight of the film.

Why do you think the native's depiction was offensive? They were the polar opposite of Depp Tanto

I felt just the opposite, even though Kong isn't a great movie, it felt so refreshing to have some fun after the depression-fest of Logan last week, which I agree is a great film. This was my Jurassic World I guess, just a big, dumb fun B-monster action movie. Except this one actually delivered in the monster action department, unlike JW.

Love this recent trailer. It was actually the directors idea to make this to really sell the fun of the film. There's a version over on imdb that has a directors commentary talking about it, pretty cool. https://youtu.be/44LdLqgOpjo

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Jordan Vogt-Roberts. The only other thing I know him from was the indie movie Kings of Summer from a couple of years ago.

He was on the Doug Loves Movies podcast earlier in the week and kept bringing up video game references and mentioned the body paint and other markings that natives use in Kong: Skull Island are similar to the writing in Journey. He's also rumored to be doing an MGS movie and on the podcast said there was a video game movie he'd like to do next. He also said now that this is out he's planning to travel around Asia a bit after falling in love with Vietnam while shooting this, but maybe it's partially scouting locations for that.

He seemed smart and very genuinely interested in games so that'll be interesting if it goes through.

He's had meetings with people from Kojima Productions and even spoke to Kojima about it. I'm pretty confident that he's going to do it (studio allowing).

What an awful, awful film. I could go into detail about the multiple levels in which this disappoints, but the best way to describe it is to think of this image * 90 minutes.

tumblr_olhs2yW7F71tberpco3_500.gif

The acting.
Joke after joke me with stunned silence.
The characters.
The CGI.
The lack of anything...anything

Makes Godzilla seem like a Ridley Scott epic.

The highlight of Kong? Helicopters emerging from a cloud. There was emotion, drama and awe with the camera work. Unfortunately we then got to Kong and the people on the island.

Oh I didn't know this was in the same universe as Godzilla. Does it tie in well or they just mention it in the description type of thing?

Whats the story behind this?

It's specific throughout. I was hoping for another dose of Godzilla, but all I got was a second rate Jurassic World.

Saw it earlier this morning and found it to be a fun little ride.

I was completely baffled by Toby Kebbel's inclusion. Like, why even put him in the film if that's what you were going to do with him.

I found that most of the human characters had enough personality to make me care about them unlike Godzilla '14. Hiddleston and Larson were plain and pointless, but I liked the soldiers and 2/3rds of the scientists.

Story wise, nothing extravagant, but everyone had believable goals. Though I think they could have went further with Sam Jackon's motivation. It would have been better if he became more unhinged after losing more and more of his men.

Also movie gets extra points for keeping alive, not only one, but two black characters. Up til the last moment, I thought one of them was going to die.

Dabanton

So you guys think the black guy got with the Asian girl at the end of the movie?

Haha probably. They seemed pretty close by the end of the movie. And Jing Tian was stunning. There is something about clothes in the 70's that make a woman look amazing.

I was happy we didn't have an overly cheesy love plot with any of the characters. More of this please Hollywood.

Veelk

Banned
The movie was reminiscent of Marvel, for reasons both obvious and not. But the main thing I took away from it was that it was fun. It wasn't like Godzilla, which didn't seem to understand that we were all here for the giant fire breathing lizard, not Blandy McBlandface. Kong understands that perfectly, and doesn't waste much time, and just gets to the part where the giant monkey smashes shit.

That's all I really need from it.

Boogs31

I was pretty disappointed by the movie. There were quite a few instances of terrible editing including that teaser scene where Hiddleston's character is running away and abruptly turns around to look at the monsters behind him. There were way to many characters to follow and none of them were developed in the slightest. It also felt like they didn't know what tone to go for.
I'm specifically remembering the scene where John C. Reilly is saying goodbye to the people he's lived with for 30 years and as he's crying he says if you're ever in Chicago look me up. Like are we supposed to be thinking this scene is funny or are we supposed to be having an emotional connection? I also felt nothing when a couple of the side characters died and it felt like the movie was trying really hard to pack an emotional punch.

This movie makes Peter Jackson's version seem like a masterpiece.

It was a good time, for sure. I wasn't expecting the
disemtonguement
finisher. Shit was awesome.

This one is right up there with the '33 incarnation as my favorite depiction of Kong, and I'm so glad they chose to make him a uniquely aberrant anthropoid along the lines of Willis O'brien's original instead of merely a supersized silverback.

Worth it for the Post Credit scene alone.

Was totally expecting Godzilla, but not EVERYONE. That movie's going to be nuts.

Totally. There was something so very right about that last
cave painting with Godzilla and Ghidorah facing off; like, of course those two have been throwing it down from time immemorial

dukeoflegs

Saw it today and it was a lot of fun. Fights were great, but the bad monster was poorly designed (generic feeling) for my preference.
One thing that bugged me was how often they had the setting sun in the background behind Kong then switch to other people and it would be middle of the day, then switch back to Kong and setting sun again.

UFO

Banned
Odd movie.

The fight scenes were great, Reilly had a lot of funny lines, but other then that... what is there? None of the characters seemed to have any real goals. Save for SLJ who played the crazy war colonel who saw the fight against Kong as another Vietnam War he didn't want to abandon. The others just seemed to be along for the ride- run when you need to and make a funny quip when the chance arrives.

Ok movie but nothing spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom