• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streaks

Saw it last night, my quick review...not sure if spoilers are allowed so I'll just tag it all.

I'll judge the movie in two parts, Kong and Other. I thought the Kong parts were good, I thought the other parts were average at best. The CGI was pretty good, lots of daylight CGI which makes me hopeful for Godzilla 2. Kong didn't have much interaction with Brie's character which is a bit unlike most other prior Kongs. He saves her and such but he turns his back on her fairly quickly and uncharacteristically to former Kongs. The Other part of the movie just seems put together oddly. I really don't know what tone the movie was supposed to be in. John C Reilly was the best part of the human ensemble by far. The rest of the characters felt underused and underdeveloped. I think the movie would've been better with a different director getting more from the actors.
Overall it's a 3/5
Seeing the post-credit sequence was great, though. I actually caught the Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Godzilla all being properties of Toho in the credits so I knew it'd involve all of them just moments later. You don't see them per say but you get a glimpse of them....

Saw it last night, my quick review...not sure if spoilers are allowed so I'll just tag it all.

I'll judge the movie in two parts, Kong and Other. I thought the Kong parts were good, I thought the other parts were average at best. The CGI was pretty good, lots of daylight CGI which makes me hopeful for Godzilla 2. Kong didn't have much interaction with Brie's character which is a bit unlike most other prior Kongs. He saves her and such but he turns his back on her fairly quickly and uncharacteristically to former Kongs. The Other part of the movie just seems put together oddly. I really don't know what tone the movie was supposed to be in. John C Reilly was the best part of the human ensemble by far. The rest of the characters felt underused and underdeveloped. I think the movie would've been better with a different director getting more from the actors.
Overall it's a 3/5
Seeing the post-credit sequence was great, though. I actually caught the Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Godzilla all being properties of Toho in the credits so I knew it'd involve all of them just moments later. You don't see them per say but you get a glimpse of them....

Think you could just give a spoiler-free, one or two sentence summation of your overall enjoyment (or lack therefore) of the film?

Streaks

It's an average film but all the Kong scenes are great. The cast is underused and the script itself is very bland. Some action moments are cringe worthy on the human side. John C. Reilly is by far the best human in the movie. Post-Credit scene is pretty great, though. It's like a 3/5 imo.

Edit:

Also I'd probably go as far to say if this wasn't related to Godzilla I probably wouldn't see it in theaters. I much preferred the Peter Jackson King Kong film to this one as a standalone.

Tizoc

Gonna go buy tickets for this later today to watch tomorrow
Excited for monster bashing goodness

If Jackson would have cut out that whole "Jimmy and his mentor" subplot, that would have helped greatly. Absolute waste of screentime. Also at least another ten minutes could have been cut from the whole boat trip.

Once they got to the island though, the movie is fantastic.

It's an average film but all the Kong scenes are great. The cast is underused and the script itself is very bland. Some action moments are cringe worthy on the human side. John C. Reilly is by far the best human in the movie. Post-Credit scene is pretty great, though. It's like a 3/5 imo.

Edit:

Also I'd probably go as far to say if this wasn't related to Godzilla I probably wouldn't see it in theaters. I much preferred the Peter Jackson King Kong film to this one as a standalone.

I'm not too surprised by the script seeing Max Borenstein was one of the main writers from G14 and he handled this film as well.

It makes me more excited to see someone new handling Godzilla 2, and I suspect Michael Dougherty will be a huge improvement on that front.

I read up on the post credits scene. The following isnt spoilers but people might get pissy if I say anymore. Anyway,
I kinda knew that was the way they were going to do it.

I'm not too surprised by the script seeing Max Borenstein was one of the main writers from G14 and he handled this film as well.

It makes me more excited to see someone new handling Godzilla 2, and I suspect Michael Dougherty will be a huge improvement on that front.

Yeah I think that will end up being the best movie out of this whole monsterverse

Great casting too with Kyle Chandler as the dad to the girl from stranger things

Poona

Just saw the film. Thought it was better than Logan which I saw last week.

Should we just stay home and watch Jackson's Kong?

There are quite a bit of things I really like about Jackson's Kong, but something I like a whole lot more in the new film is that
Kong doesn't die, and is able to get back at those who want to kill him. I'm not some big know it all about Kong throughout all media, but that ticked me off about Jackson's Kong, with the stupid humans that just wanted him dead and he died because of them.

Though I guess one of the differences this time is that with the new Kong he never leaves the island, so things may be a bit different if there's a next time, but I'll be still hoping for his survival.

J_Viper

Got my tickets for tomorrow night.

Just ordered the new Blu-Ray release of Jackson's Kong. I look forward to watching it kinda for the first time.

I was way young when I watched it in the theater, all I remember is the T-Rex fight.

Snaku

Banned
I'm just surprised it's gonna take that long to get to Godzilla 2, like wtf

Weren't they waiting for Gareth Edwards to finish Rogue One, and then he decided to drop out last year? We probably would have had Godzilla 2 by now had they just moved on with another director a few years ago. At least we're getting Michael Dougherty writing and directing it now. It'll probably be the best kaiju film ever.

JB1981

Just saw the film. Thought it was better than Logan which I saw last week.

There are quite a bit of things I really like about Jackson's Kong, but something I like a whole lot more in the new film is that
Kong doesn't die, and is able to get back at those who want to kill him. I'm not some big know it all about Kong throughout all media, but that ticked me off about Jackson's Kong, with the stupid humans that just wanted him dead and he died because of them.

Though I guess one of the differences this time is that with the new Kong he never leaves the island, so things may be a bit different if there's a next time, but I'll be still hoping for his survival.

Damn that really was a spoiler lol

Blader

Godzilla 2 is shooting this summer, so I also don't understand why it's two years away. A year and a half of post? Maybe that's a good sign that there'll be a shit ton more monster action in that one.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh, it was... it sooo was... :(

Yup, I agree with that adjective. "Disaster" feels ok.

Exactly. He copied his previous monster movie and that was an horrible move, considering that he was dealing with Godzilla. The result was simply frustrating.

Yup, that may be the problem I have with that movie: I actually expect a good dose of giant monsters in my giant monster movie. :)

This attitude just tells me you never watched any Godzilla movies.

Godzilla 2014 was a totally middle-of-the-road Godzilla picture. No more, no less, and with all the good and bad that comes with it. It was fine, and could have been much, much worse.

Godzilla 2 is shooting this summer, so I also don't understand why it's two years away. A year and a half of post? Maybe that's a good sign that there'll be a shit ton more monster action in that one.

Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah don't render overnight, I guess.

This attitude just tells me you never watched any Godzilla movies.

Godzilla 2014 was a totally middle-of-the-road Godzilla picture. No more, no less, and with all the good and bad that comes with it. It was fine, and could have been much, much worse.

I mean the other Godzilla movies weren't 2 hours long and didn't need to establish Godzilla in a new universe...

Should we just stay home and watch Jackson's Kong?

It's big, over the top, fast moving, shallow dumb fun. It's like an amusement park ride story turned into a movie, and somehow it works.

PJ's Kong is a better film, sure, but this one breeze past rather than dragging itself along.

Kong is the best character, John C. Reilly is the most fleshed out. The rest are kinda just...there. Til they're not.

louiedog

The director was on Doug Loves Movies this week and made me go from not caring to wanting to see it. He seemed smart and understood what makes people wary of a movie like this in 2017 and got rid of some of my fears about what it might be.

He also dropped some very specific video game references and alluded to an upcoming video game film project he wants to do. He's been rumored to be directing a MGS movie so we'll see how that works out.

kevin1025

Banned

Likely tons of post work, and gives them a good chunk of time for potential reshoots. It definitely isn't fun as a fan in terms of waiting, but giving them that extra time could turn out great!

The director was on Doug Loves Movies this week and made me go from not caring to wanting to see it. He seemed smart and understood what makes people wary of a movie like this in 2017 and got rid of some of my fears about what it might be.

He also dropped some very specific video game references and alluded to an upcoming video game film project he wants to do. He's been rumored to be directing a MGS movie so we'll see how that works out.

Oh speaking of video game references, there is a clear cut one in Skull Island towards the end of the film which was fun as hell.

louiedog

Oh speaking of video game references, there is a clear cut one in Skull Island towards the end of the film which was fun as hell.

That's not terribly surprising because the guy, unprompted, brought up games like 3 times on a podcast where the host clearly doesn't care about them and they rarely are mentioned.

He compared the body paint and other markings of the natives to what's in Journey. I'm guessing there was some inspiration there.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so i haven't read the whole thread, but does the bonus scene in this sit at the very end of the credits, or is it a mid-credits scene?

Poona

Kong might be better in terms of wowee visually, but my god Logan's a kick in the teeth

Yeah, I can see your point there. I guess it's just depending on your viewpoint and perhaps how you feel about the characters. I think ultimately for me it just comes down to being more interested in Kong as a character over Wolverine, and possibly just wanting a bit more from the Logan film that I didn't get after him appearing in so many other films.

Damn that really was a spoiler lol

That much huh? :) I thought part of it may have been assumed with this whole big monster universe or whatever it is they're wanting to grow.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so i haven't read the whole thread, but does the bonus scene in this sit at the very end of the credits, or is it a mid-credits scene?

Yeah, very end of the credits is a bonus scene. There is some stuff at the start of the credits too, but it's just a continuation of the movie. The after credits scene is the bit with how they copy Marvel or whoever with trying to tie it in to other things.

gamz

My screening starts in half hour. Good to know

Looks like i'll be fighting the ushers to not boot me out.

Fuckers always bring the lights up and start sweeping half way through the credits!

Cool. Post thoughts.

I'm seeing it in imax 3d tonight.

feature_length_by_expanddongplz-d77g7no.png

Is there a spoiler thread for this? The movie doesn't have a lot of story, but there are bits I want to talk about.

Btw, it's a bit late, but avoid the trailers. They spoiled every major scene and creature. Movie has literally no surprise scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom