• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still sad there aren't dinosaurs.

Anyhow, reviews seem solid enough - can't see this soon enough! Sadly I missed an early screening last week...

J_Viper

What's up with the reviewer at Time Out?

jKLGApL.jpg

His chief beefs are too much Kong

how is this even a complaint

I generally like his reviews but I do find myself rolling my eyes every time he mentions "growing up" with something, which is a lot lol. Also don't understand his comment about copying Marvel, if it really is something he grew up with he should have gone into how Godzilla/Kong have already shared a universe long before Marvel ever started doing it.

jtb

Banned
It sounds like a pretty mediocre action film that riffs way too heavily off of nostalgia for Vietnam war films (which is kind of sad and dirty for my tastes but w/e).

gamz

I generally like his reviews but I do find myself rolling my eyes every time he mentions "growing up" with something, which is a lot lol. Also don't understand his comment about copying Marvel, if it really is something he grew up with he should have gone into how Godzilla/Kong have already shared a universe long before Marvel ever started doing it.

That's my problem with most of these so-called movie reviewers. They have no history of cinema beyond their age.

This was made for the "but we didn't get enough Godzilla" crowd.

So I would imagine with that much screen time the effects budget has to be through the roof no?

I just want a slam-bang action movie out of this with cool monsters and it sounds like it delivers in those departments. No offense but I don't give a fuck if Brie Larson and Tiddleswift get short shrift. In fact, if what I'm hearing is correct and it's basically the John C. Riley show, I'm going to love this fucking thing.

Snaku

Banned
I just want a slam-bang action movie out of this with cool monsters and it sounds like it delivers in those departments. No offense but I don't give a fuck if Brie Larson and Tiddleswift get short shrift. In fact, if what I'm hearing is correct and it's basically the John C. Riley show, I'm going to love this fucking thing.

Just got out of an early screening. You're gonna love this fucking thing.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It's basically Apocalypse Now meets the last Godzilla movie + the 2nd act of the last King Kong. I thought it was decent - John C. Riley and Kong steal every scene.

It's basically Apocalypse Now meets the last Godzilla movie + the 2nd act of the last King Kong. I thought it was decent - John C. Riley and Kong steal every scene.
That's everything I wanted from this. The middle of PJ's King Kong is still excellent

Looking forward to seeing this

FrodoYolo

Banned
Wow surprised this is doing well...can't believe it's been over 10 years since the last film...and I just checked and King Kong 2005 was over 3 hours!?! What the fuck were they thinking?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow surprised this is doing well...can't believe it's been over 10 years since the last film...and I just checked and King Kong 2005 was over 3 hours!?! What the fuck were they thinking?

Some of the set pieces in that movie are so hilariously over the top. Running away from the dino stampede is one of the dumbest set pieces ever.

There is "suspension of belief" and then there's that scene.

10x better than Jurassic World? So a 5/10 then.

Some of the set pieces in that movie are so hilariously over the top. Running away from the dino stampede is one of the dumbest set pieces ever.

There is "suspension of belief" and then there's that scene.

Peter Jackson cemented his throne as king of the ridiculous set piece with the Hobbit trilogy.

B33

Banned
Peter Jackson remade a film he loved from his childhood, so it's indulgent and overlong and I understand why. It shouldn't have been that long.

After LOTR, Peter Jackson was basically given carte blanche on the film. Like is often the case, this did not lead to the best product possible.

I have a very bad feeling for this.

Could it be worse than Godzilla?
Depends, Godzilla wasn't bad
But if you need more monster in your film to consider it good then this is for you.

Kong is low on my totem pole of favorite kaiju but still excited to see this film, and more importantly the stinger at the end.

jadedm17

Ill take it; I enjoyed the last King Kong fine enough. The spectacle is enough for me, they dont all have to be the new Planet of the Apes level of storytelling. Sorry to Kong fans but as a a mindless giant fan Im down.

kurahador

There's also an extended cut that added an extra 20 minutes. FUN!!

Is this related to the Peter Jackson movie?

It's a reboot and they are building Monster Cinematic Universe.

Castef

Banned
Oh come on, Godzilla 2014 wasn't that bad.

Oh, it was... it sooo was... :(

Depends on what type of movie you want. This seems more like a monster action spectacle, while Godzilla was more of a disaster movie.

Yup, I agree with that adjective. "Disaster" feels ok.

At least we get to see Kong a good amount of times without being teased like 5 times.

geez Edwards went too damn far.

Exactly. He copied his previous monster movie and that was an horrible move, considering that he was dealing with Godzilla. The result was simply frustrating.

Depends, Godzilla wasn't bad
But if you need more monster in your film to consider it good then this is for you.

Yup, that may be the problem I have with that movie: I actually expect a good dose of giant monsters in my giant monster movie. :)

I'd go and see this if it wasn't for the fact that the trailer I saw that was attached to LOGAN pretty much showed me the whole fucking movie. It doesn't help that said trailer was edited with that obnoxious "now look at how fucking cool this is...now this...oh and this, and this, and that! Gun cocking is cool-now wait just a fucking minute and look at this!!!"

I seriously hate whoever cut that trailer together. It showed SO FUCKING MUCH!

Snaku

Banned
I'd go and see this if it wasn't for the fact that the trailer I saw that was attached to LOGAN pretty much showed me the whole fucking movie. It doesn't help that said trailer was edited with that obnoxious "now look at how fucking cool this is...now this...oh and this, and this, and that! Gun cocking is cool-now wait just a fucking minute and look at this!!!"

That's literally not the movie or the filmmaker's fault, it's the studio's marketing department. Kind of a juvenile attitude to have. Not gonna do thing cause my parents want me to do thing!

Seconded. Such trailers actually hurt my enjoyment of the final product.

That's literally not the movie or the filmmaker's fault, it's the studio's marketing department. Kind of a juvenile attitude to have. Not gonna do thing cause my parents want me to do thing!

It's juvenile to feel like there are no surprises left to justify my going to the theatre for it? I'll literally be anticipating every big set piece. I can always spot when a sequence of events is going to lead into a major scene from a trailer. I've seen so many movies in my lifetime my brain is trained to "spot how trailer scene fits".

Edit; I should mention that I've adopted a new stance on trailers the last couple years; watch the first, minute-long "teaser" and then nope the fuck out of the marketing and trailers that follow. I just need a tiny little glimpse to sate my appetite. I've been doing this for a while now (since TFA, I think) and it' been having an amazingly positive affect on my theatre-going experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom