• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island |OT| For your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
kong01lijvs.png

monsterverseh1usv.png

Set 42 years before the events of Godzilla (2014). The secret government organization Monarch mounts an expedition to Skull Island, an uncharted territory in the Pacific. Led by an explorer (John Goodman) and a lieutenant colonel (Samuel L. Jackson), the group recruit a disillusioned soldier (Tom Hiddleston) and a photojournalist (Brie Larson) to investigate the island's peculiar seismic activity. But once there, they discover that Skull Island is home to a gigantic ape called King Kong, and find themselves caught up in an ongoing war between the beast and the area's indigenous predators.
Comic Con Trailer
Rise of the King
1930s Trailer
Final Trailer
screenshot2017-03-09ajas1i.png

kongendqxuin.png

Really enjoyed the movie. John C Reilly stole the show and Jackson and some awesome moments. Hiddleston and Brie Larson were hilariously misplaced and were a detriment to the movie IMO. It didn't really effect the overall quality too much though.

The movie still suffered from the usual issue where it felt like you were treading water with the human scenes waiting to get to the good stuff with Kong.

LosDaddie

Banned
Top 3 movie I'm looking forward to in 2017.

Going with about 7 people from the office sometime early next week.

Hype!

Snaku

Banned
Better than the recent Godzilla?

It is. I enjoyed the Jaws style Edwards was trying to evoke, but the film did have severe weakness in its characters especially after it lost Cranston. Outside of John C. Reilly, Kong also suffers in the character department, but it more than makes up for it with monster action. The fauna of Skull Island are awesome, and you're constantly looking forward to seeing something new. It really feels like Heart of Darkness meets Jurassic Park.

Be sure to stay for the Monsterverse post credits scene.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it seems they went out of their way to address Godzilla's issues with the monster action from what I've heard.

Better than the recent Godzilla?

Yes, though I'll give Godzilla credit for trying to make a more serious film, this one just embraces the over the top cheesiness and action.

I liked PJ's Kong more, but this will be infinitely more re-watchable. It breezes by, non stop with monster madness.

gngf123

Watched this last night. I thought it was okay.

A couple of the characters seemed pretty flat. Brie Larson in particular felt kind of wasted in my opinion.

Also, this might seem like a weird complaint, but I was kind of put off by the nearly still, panning shots of Brie and Tom that seemed to serve no other purpose but to admire how attractive they look when striking a pose. It's nice eye candy, but there were a few shots like that right in the middle of action sequences and it felt oddly out of place.

The actual action sequences themselves were great though, and I loved Marlow. Those two things made the film extremely fun to watch.

JdFoX187

Banned
I absolutely loved Godzilla '14 and plan on seeing this Saturday. Also got some free movie cash from a couple blu-rays I picked up, so I'm trying to convince the wife to go see it again next week.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who directed this? The trailer looked amazing. Very stylish. Gorgeous cinematography though i think that's because the BvS director of photography shot it.

Busty

Banned
As excited as I am for this film I'm really curious to see how this how MonsterVerse will come together. Is the end game here to potentially spin off other monsters? Are they looking to add other monsters from outside the Kong and Godzilla franchises whatever they might be?

No matter what happens I bet we see a film with the title 'Destroy All Monsters' sooner or later.

I will go for the ape, I will stay for the post credits teaser.

I was pretty exciting about this until I found out BronsonLee liked the movie.

BronsonLee, in his wood panelled station wagon, is making his way to your location right now..., and he's brought his shovel.

louiedog

Who directed this? The trailer looked amazing. Very stylish. Gorgeous cinematography though i think that's because the BvS director of photography shot it.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts. The only other thing I know him from was the indie movie Kings of Summer from a couple of years ago.

He was on the Doug Loves Movies podcast earlier in the week and kept bringing up video game references and mentioned the body paint and other markings that natives use in Kong: Skull Island are similar to the writing in Journey. He's also rumored to be doing an MGS movie and on the podcast said there was a video game movie he'd like to do next. He also said now that this is out he's planning to travel around Asia a bit after falling in love with Vietnam while shooting this, but maybe it's partially scouting locations for that.

He seemed smart and very genuinely interested in games so that'll be interesting if it goes through.

Mandius

Saw it. It lacks sinew.

I have no idea why Tom Hiddleston or his character are in the film. The only thing he does is to let everyone know another superfluous character is dead.

This movie made me realize that we need a new battlefield Vietnam. Not much else going on, except nice cinematography and crazy special effects.

JdFoX187

Banned
As excited as I am for this film I'm really curious to see how this how MonsterVerse will come together. Is the end game here to potentially spin off other monsters? Are they looking to add other monsters from outside the Kong and Godzilla franchises whatever they might be?

No matter what happens I bet we see a film with the title 'Destroy All Monsters' sooner or later.

I will go for the ape, I will stay for the post credits teaser.

Oh yes, please!

Movie was a lot of fun. Where is the hype? :(

The back of his jacket actually says "for your health". 10/10

I'm not a Kong/Monsters enthusiast but I really dug how trailers looked, the film definitely delivered on visuals and style

Overall it very much has that "old Hollywood" feel.....felt like a Universal Studios ride or something. Like a weird hybrid of Predator/Indiana Jones/Jurassic Park (while obviously not reaching the quality of any of them, just the vibe)

I think there was actually a lot less Kong than I was expecting but I dug the island itself sort of being the focus with all of the different creatures. It's still all centered around Kong anyways

Soundtrack was bordering on Suicide Squad with spamming of popular 70s music but at least it sort of made sense here. Sort of.

Logan has already set the bar way too high for this year, doubt anything will come close for me besides Blade Runner. But Kong is definitely worth a watch.

Post credits was hype. Would like to see some characters return in future films

gamz

Movie was a lot of fun. Where is the hype? :(

The back of his jacket actually says "for your health". 10/10

I'm not a Kong/Monsters enthusiast but I really dug how trailers looked, the film definitely delivered on visuals and style

Overall it very much has that "old Hollywood" feel.....felt like a Universal Studios ride or something. Like a weird hybrid of Predator/Indiana Jones/Jurassic Park (while obviously not reaching the quality of any of them, just the vibe)

I think there was actually a lot less Kong than I was expecting but I dug the island itself sort of being the focus with all of the different creatures. It's still all centered around Kong anyways

Soundtrack was bordering on Suicide Squad with spamming of popular 70s music but at least it sort of made sense here. Sort of.

Logan has already set the bar way too high for this year, doubt anything will come close for me besides Blade Runner. But Kong is definitely worth a watch.

Post credits was hype. Would like to see some characters return in future films

Of course it made sense. The movie is set in the 1970's, thus 70's music.

Of course it made sense. The movie is set in the 1970's, thus 70's music.
I didn't mean it like that

I meant it makes sense in the movie because every time music is playing someone puts on a vinyl or something.

It's still the same spamming of popular music that I don't reeeeeally think adds to the film all that much (beyond being good music from that time)

Gravidee

Apparently, the director noted that Shadow of the Colossus had a big influence on him while making this movie, such as the sense of scale and majesty of the creatures. They were also inspired by the big animals from Princess Mononoke.

And perhaps something that no one here would have suspected, but apparently the design of the Skull Crawlers was partially inspired by Cubone from Pokemon.

250px-104Cubone.png

Saw it. It lacks sinew.

I have no idea why Tom Hiddleston or his character are in the film. The only thing he does is to let everyone know another superfluous character is dead.

Totally agree, they should've completely gotten rid of his worthless character and given the leading hero role to Toby Kebbel instead.

Kebbel's character was set up as the hero and then completely thrown away, it made no sense. He was instantly more likeable than Hiddleswift and would've had much better chemistry with Brie Larson.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Did anyone see it in 3D (not IMAX)? How is it? I kind of hate 3D movies but I have plans to see this with a friend tomorrow and the only showing we can get to is a 3D one. :(

MikeDown

Banned
Stick around after the credits.

RODAN. MOTHRA. KING GHIDORAH. GODZILLA.
Dammit I should have stayed. I enjoyed the movie, came off as a little more campy the Godzilla; taking itself less seriously. The structure was a little too disjointed, and I felt many of the plot elements didn't quite pay off story wise. Visuals were great. Enjoyed the characters for the most part. The music was a tad bit overused, but it was far from suicide squad or any of that nonsense.

fleck0

This wasn't on my radar until I heard the Director on Doug Benson's movie podcast and he cited Shadow of the Colossus as in inspiration (when talking about sense of scale). I also hadn't heard that Johns both O'reilly and Goodman are in it so I kind of want to see it now.

edit: of course i was too late on the SotC mention!

Sanke__

Totally agree, they should've completely gotten rid of his worthless character and given the leading hero role to Toby Kebbel instead.

Kebbel's character was set up as the hero and then completely thrown away, it made no sense. He was instantly more likeable than Hiddleswift and would've had much better chemistry with Brie Larson.

This does not surprise me at all

Kebbel is an infinitely better actor than Hiddleston

J_Viper

Had a really fun time with this.

Kong himself and all the set pieces, with and without him are excellent. I thought the CGI was great all around.

It also moves at a pretty quick pace. It takes maybe ten minutes longer than it needed to set things up, but it's about half hour in when Kong first goes bananas, and the movie doesn't let up from there.

Human characters were mostly unmemorable. Reilly was great, and the army dudes were fine, but everyone else isn't given anything to do. At least Brie was a cute. Hiddleston is the only character that's straight up lame.

Who the fuck told him he could be an action hero? He tries so hard by scowling and trying to flex in all his scenes, but you're not fooling anyone brah. At least Aaron Johnson in Godzilla looked like a soldier.

I agree with whoever said Toby Kebbell should've been the lead.

The post credits scene got me HYPED, though I gotta say the actual dialogue in the scene was horrendous Lol

Dabanton

I think it was suppose to wrongfoot us. But it was all a bit eh.

I did enjoy the movie though.

Kong himself and all the set pieces, with and without him are excellent. I thought the CGI was great all around.

It also moves at a pretty quick pace. It takes maybe ten minutes longer than it needed to set things up, but it's about half hour in when Kong first goes bananas, and the movie doesn't let up from there.

Human characters were mostly unmemorable. Reilly was great, and the army dudes were fine, but everyone else isn't given anything to do. At least Brie was a cute. Hiddleston is the only character that's straight up lame.

Who the fuck told him he could be an action hero? He tries so hard by scowling and trying to flex in all his scenes, but you're not fooling anyone brah. At least Aaron Johnson in Godzilla looked like a soldier.

The post credits scene got me HYPED, though I gotta say the actual dialogue in the scene was horrendous Lol

Hiddleston was awful and totally out of place in this movie but Johnson in Godzilla is one of the few performances I can remember that might have been worse (in a big budget film of course).

I just got back from seeing it and loved it. Favorite character was a tie between John C Reillys character and Shea Wiggam's. I wouldn't say it's better than Peter Jackson's Kong film, about on par, just different. I did like the mostly absent romance/friendship between Kong and the female lead. I liked how it was handled here much better. No ice Skating scene is a plus.

Just got back from the movies, I really didn't like it . I wasn't a fan of any of the characters . Everytime Kong was on screen it was hype but I found all the characters boring and it really seems like no one had a character arc . Sam Jackson , I love the man, but my god was he annoying me the whole movie . It really seems like he just didn't want to act , he said all his lines as if he was talking normally and then had laughable stair downs directly into the camera . It felt at times that the movie was trying to be self aware that he's a badass but nothing about his performance showed bad ass to me.

sounds enjoyable enough. expected as much regarding Toby Kebbell and that bland ass Hiddleston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom