• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

zkylon

zkylewd
She was super easy. I feel like a fool! The skeleton before her was more difficult :-/
My problem was I was trying to fight from high up and her tongue was just destroying me. Once I moved the fight to ground level, it was a cake walk.
What would be a good level order for me to follow? I've taken care of 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1.
You could do 1-2 or 5-1 with relatively ease (for Demon's Souls at least). Bosses in 2-2 and 3-2 are a pain though, 4-2 is pretty doable and 5-2 boss is easy but the level can get very disorienting.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^ Oh, ok. Crisis averted.

Are the US servers already down ?

Im trying to play and it always fails to connect with the DS server.
I heard from a friend with the US version that they decided to leave them up as long as there's a persistent userbase. Can anyone confirm?

If so, great news. I'm happy for all US players.

After being pretty much done with Dark Souls I returned to this and made a Royal character. It's easier than I remember it, but still damn unforgiving. Currently I'm having problems taking hits, I go down with 2-3 hits all the time (with Cling Ring). Then again I'm making a magic user with (later on) a magic uchigatana so I'm now supposed to tank.

Dineren

Banned
^^^ Oh, ok. Crisis averted.

I heard from a friend with the US version that they decided to leave them up as long as there's a persistent userbase. Can anyone confirm?

If so, great news. I'm happy for all US players.

I don't think they gave any specifics on how long they'll leave it up, but they did announce that they are keeping them up for the time being. Great news for those who haven't had a chance to try it out.

neoemonk

Took out Fool's Idol. I think she was easier than Phalanx honestly. I don't know if the levels are getting easier or I'm getting better. They just don't seem as hard as the first few.

Switching to magic definitely helped. At some point I might try an all-melee run. I imagine it has to be much harder.

Soulhouf

After being pretty much done with Dark Souls I returned to this and made a Royal character. It's easier than I remember it, but still damn unforgiving. Currently I'm having problems taking hits, I go down with 2-3 hits all the time (with Cling Ring). Then again I'm making a magic user with (later on) a magic uchigatana so I'm now supposed to tank.

Tanking in the Souls games = using a shield with good stability.
They added poise in Dark Souls but in Demon's that's all what you have. You can still increase your vitality but if you really want to tank, you need a good shield such as the Purple Flame.

zkylon

zkylewd
Took out Fool's Idol. I think she was easier than Phalanx honestly. I don't know if the levels are getting easier or I'm getting better. They just don't seem as hard as the first few.

Switching to magic definitely helped. At some point I might try an all-melee run. I imagine it has to be much harder.
The final demons are usually a lot easier than the previous ones and yeah, you probably got better as time passed. Plus, the X-3 levels are really short, so retrying it a bunch of times isn't really a problem with last bosses.

This game is so damn demoralizing. After beating a million shades to get to the Reaper in 4-2 I get past him, out the door, past a bunch of skeletons while dodging manta spears I can't fight back, then I get into a room with descending platforms with new shades with laser beams... and as I eventually make my way down to the Reaper I get backstabbed by a cloaked shade. Thanks.

neoemonk

I love reading through the thread and seeing all the people that beat bosses on the first, second, or third try.

Slot me in for about 20 tries each. I've finished 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 3-1 so far. I made it to Maneater this morning and lost three times before I had to stop. I'll hopefully be able to play (and win!) tonight.

The first time I died to him he shot me with three green lights from his tail. The second time I got overwhelmed when the second one came out. I almost had the first one down and then the targeting got me all screwed up and I ended up dealing a bunch of damage to the second one when I didn't want to.

The third time I died I was fighting the first one and lost track of him and he hit me from behind with those three green lights again.

neoemonk

I don't have that weapon. I've tried to do melee a few times but I suck at dodging. I'm not good at telling which attack he's going to use.

I've been dancing around the fire and hitting him with soul ray. I've almost beat one of his forms a few times, as long as I can keep track of where he is. I have a tendency to lose track of him and that's how he kills me. Tonight when my kids go to bed and I can actually concentrate I'll run him over and over again until I beat him.

cj_iwakura

I don't have that weapon. I've tried to do melee a few times but I suck at dodging. I'm not good at telling which attack he's going to use.

I've been dancing around the fire and hitting him with soul ray. I've almost beat one of his forms a few times, as long as I can keep track of where he is. I have a tendency to lose track of him and that's how he kills me. Tonight when my kids go to bed and I can actually concentrate I'll run him over and over again until I beat him.

PWWT at 2-3 is where you find it. It's worth getting.
(Right where the Dragon God is first seen.)

Failing that, craft a Dragon short sword(fire damage).

neoemonk

Maneater down. Took some shucking and jiving and some Soul Ray.

When i finally best him he only hit me once. The first time I killed the first Maneater I won the fight.

Soul level 40. Magic focused. Kris blade in off hand, ring of magical sharpness.

I had about 50 fresh spices from the black phantom on the stairs.

oracrest

Maneater down. Took some shucking and jiving and some Soul Ray.

When i finally best him he only hit me once. The first time I killed the first Maneater I won the fight.

Soul level 40. Magic focused. Kris blade in off hand, ring of magical sharpness.

I had about 50 fresh spices from the black phantom on the stairs.

Such a satisfying battle. I won in a similar way, spending hours fighting him over and over one night before giving up. Then the next day, defeated him on the first run. It's one of those games that once you "get it" the enemies are yours to toy with.

neoemonk

I ran through 4-1 like a hot knife through butter last night. Adjudicator was such a cake walk compared to Maneater. Maneater's demise was satisfying. Adjudicator was a bit of a let down.

zewone

Just started this game after I 1000/1000 Dark Souls. Really digging it but I got to get used to the worse menus. Throwing me off a bit.

Sayah

Dex Build + Morion Blade + Clever Rat's Ring = everything dies.

Wish I could've seen the look on that invader's face when I one shotted him with my dragon sword!

Yeah, that insta-kill was awesome. I was expecting to run around a little and do some back-and-forth healing but you had me surprised there with the kill.

Co-op is too much fun.

This is my favorite game of all time.

I'll be sad when the servers go down. Even though my first run through the game was offline, ever since I've been online with DS it's been a much more enjoyable experience. The game will still be my favorite after the servers go down, I'm just glad I got to play it in its prime and online.

Thanks FROM

p.s. please release another souls sequel, you know you want to.

oh yeah that reminds me to get the Old Monk Collar on my other character before I can't again :()

neoemonk

4-2. *shudder*

I don't know why I died here so much, but I did. A lot. The boss was so much easier than the level. I had a really hard time with the stairs leading to the second reaper. Those eye beams one shot my character. I finally was able to get over the hump by making a dark silver shield +2 to block the beam. I still took a chunk of damage but I got through. Old Hero was the first boss I managed to one shot. Yay!

I'm going to do 5-1 and 5-2 next, hopefully this weekend. I'm using a guide for the platinum and the step after this is farming crystal lizards for the stones to get all the weapon trophies. Not looking forward to it.

Sullichin

4-2. *shudder*

I don't know why I died here so much, but I did. A lot. The boss was so much easier than the level. I had a really hard time with the stairs leading to the second reaper. Those eye beams one shot my character. I finally was able to get over the hump by making a dark silver shield +2 to block the beam. I still took a chunk of damage but I got through. Old Hero was the first boss I managed to one shot. Yay!

I'm going to do 5-1 and 5-2 next, hopefully this weekend. I'm using a guide for the platinum and the step after this is farming crystal lizards for the stones to get all the weapon trophies. Not looking forward to it.

Be sure to (try to) kill the crystal lizards in 4-2 and 4-3 before beating the 4-3 boss so you will have another chance after you beat the boss. They are a real pain in the ass. Use a bow and don't chase after them, wait for them to get back to their spawn position before shooting again. I didn't get the pures from them until NG++ :|

This is my favorite game of all time.

I'll be sad when the servers go down. Even though my first run through the game was offline, ever since I've been online with DS it's been a much more enjoyable experience. The game will still be my favorite after the servers go down, I'm just glad I got to play it in its prime and online.

Thanks FROM

p.s. please release another souls sequel, you know you want to.

oh yeah that reminds me to get the Old Monk Collar on my other character before I can't again :()

You do know they announced they will not be closing down the servers, right? :)

jred2k

I wish I had read more about this game before I started playing. I turned in the Red Hot Demons Soul for souls and then later found out what I can do with it. I guess I'm screwed now til my next playthrough.

oracrest

I wish I had read more about this game before I started playing. I turned in the Red Hot Demons Soul for souls and then later found out what I can do with it. I guess I'm screwed now til my next playthrough.

not really all that screwed. I beat the game for the first time with a simple Long Sword +10. I didn't even know about the red hot demons soul trade until after I had beaten it. Didn't know about the 50% encumbrance speed either, so I was like a molasses warrior on my first playthrough.

Damnit I was showing a co-worker some of Oracrest's runs on youtube and now I need this game again. So close to that plat.

Haha, just saw this. My legacy lives on! :)

I am just glad my youtube channel still gets some views. I noticed a trend on Dark Souls with people playing through as SL1, and only hope I had a small hand in that XD

I would love to do some Dark Souls videos too, but my time to play has gone down a little, and I think I will need a few more playthroughs before I feel confident enough to tackle some hardcore challenge plays. The crown run for me would be the default deprived again.

neoemonk

When I finish this game I'm going to have to check out these oracrest videos. A level one play through seems ridiculous to me. In a good way. I just don't want to see any of the areas I haven't been to yet.

Sullichin

not really all that screwed. I beat the game for the first time with a simple Long Sword +10. I didn't even know about the red hot demons soul trade until after I had beaten it. Didn't know about the 50% encumbrance speed either, so I was like a molasses warrior on my first playthrough.

I am just glad my youtube channel still gets some views. I noticed a trend on Dark Souls with people playing through as SL1, and only hope I had a small hand in that XD

I would love to do some Dark Souls videos too, but my time to play has gone down a little, and I think I will need a few more playthroughs before I feel confident enough to tackle some hardcore challenge plays. The crown run for me would be the default deprived again.

Checked out a bit of your deprived run and SL1 run on youtube. Good stuff!

Haha yeah it does. My co-worker was asking if I had played it and we got to talking about how he hasn't passed 1-1 yet, always dies on the blue-eyed knights. So I thought I'd show him your videos for inspiration.

When I finish this game I'm going to have to check out these oracrest videos. A level one play through seems ridiculous to me. In a good way. I just don't want to see any of the areas I haven't been to yet.

Once you watch it you will be sending praises to Oracrest. It really is a sight to behold.

oracrest

The deprived run (wood club, wood shield, no armor, no leveling gear) is MUCH more difficult, even though "soul level 1" has that worst case scenario ring to it. Deprived beings at SL9 out of the gate.

With SL1, I could still pump up the scimitar to +10, and don some decent armor in combination with the ring of great strength and still have less than 50% encumbrance.

But it IS a great example of just how tightly designed the game systems and fighting mechanic are. Even in this extraneous circumstances, the players skill at the game trumps the difficulty.

Sullichin

The deprived run (wood club, wood shield, no armor, no leveling gear) is MUCH more difficult, even though "soul level 1" has that worst case scenario ring to it. Deprived beings at SL9 out of the gate.

With SL1, I could still pump up the scimitar to +10, and don some decent armor in combination with the ring of great strength and still have less than 50% encumbrance.

But it IS a great example of just how tightly designed the game systems and fighting mechanic are. Even in this extraneous circumstances, the players skill at the game trumps the difficulty.

Your barbarian run is really impressive and entertaining. Defeating the bosses in really long fights under those conditions must be really satisfying. Also impressed that you seem to go through levels the long way, picking up every item even if you don't use it and not skipping anything optional. Definitely inspires me to pop in DeS and try some new runs, but not something this insane :D Do you think you could do a deprived run in Dark Souls without upgrading the club? Four Kings seems like it would be absolutely impossible with an unupgraded weapon and low stats. They were hard enough SL1 with a maxed lightning hand axe and pyro flame.

Miutsu

So, back in 2010 (I think) I was playing and enjoying Demon's Souls with a friend.. we both got to the last area in the game before
fighting against the false king
and... for several (unrelated) reasons we had to stop playing at that time.

Fast forward to today, we both decided to come back to the game and finish it, well, you can imagine how it must feel like returning to demons souls after a 2 year gap in your mind, not remembering almost ANYTHING about your character or why you were storing some items or wondering if you were trying to get some specific equipment.

After a few minutes of fighting random enemies I got a grasp again on the controls, but hell it does not feel nice, the experience feels very uncomplete now :/ Later in the day we will try to beat the game and we may or may not start a NG+ or just wait until Dark Souls Prepared to Die edition releases on ps3.

neoemonk

I'm looking to the end of Demon's Souls with trepidation solely because I don't want it to be over. I'll definitely move on to Dark Souls, but I want to see hoe the PC port ends up before I buy it. If it's a shoddy port I'll just pick up the PS3 version.

Sullichin

Ran into an invader this weekend on my chinese copy who just had a perfect troll setup. 3-2, storm ruler, acid cloud. He destroyed all of my equipment, disregarded my backstabs, and knocked me off the ledge.

Aww yeah, on a roll.

Beat 3-3 and 1-3 yesterday without a single death. This is my first time through this game, and rarely do I beat an area without dying.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aww yeah, on a roll.

Beat 3-3 and 1-3 yesterday without a single death. This is my first time through this game, and rarely do I beat an area without dying.

You're now going to die over and over and over and over and over all day tomorrow as karma for this tooting of your horn. :p

You're now going to die over and over and over and over and over all day tomorrow as karma for this tooting of your horn. :p

Oh yes, I'm sure of it!

Still, this is pretty much the closest I've come to feeling like I have some real skill in either Souls game. These games are brutal, and this is coming from a guy who can finish Battletoads without breaking a sweat :p

neoemonk

Over the weekend I played a ton. I've cleared 3, 4, and 5, plus got all the pure world tendency equipment and pure stones from them. Stonefang Tunnel is sitting at PBWT, waiting for me to dive in.

Got really, really lucky with my pure bladestone. It took me five kills of the skeleton in the hidden area by the first reaper.

On the down side I had no idea about Yurt, so Saint Urbain is gone.

If I never have to go back into 5-2 it will be too soon.

Aww yeah, on a roll.

And just like that, the game reminds me who is boss. It certainly isn't me!

Made no progress last night, and died a number of times on 1-4. Bloody Blue Dragon.

TheSeks

And just like that, the game reminds me who is boss. It certainly isn't me!

Made no progress last night, and died a number of times on 1-4. Bloody Blue Dragon.

I tolllllllld you~~~o/`

*ahem* For the blue dragon, that's the one that purches at the door, right? Simply run up the stairs after timing it and then poison cloud cheese him. Easy. Or it's Soul Arrow. Forgetting. Issue is the lock-on.

I tolllllllld you~~~o/`

*ahem* For the blue dragon, that's the one that purches at the door, right? Simply run up the stairs after timing it and then poison cloud cheese him. Easy. Or it's Soul Arrow. Forgetting. Issue is the lock-on.

You did indeed tell me. It is the karmic balance.

Anyway, I've got a tactic for him now. I'm just going to hang out in the stairs while he's perched up the top and keep shooting his face with arrows. Short arrows take 10hp off him, so I better take a few hundred with me.

TheSeks

Soul Arrow/Poison Cloud is just as effective and if you have the MP Regen ring costs you nothing to do. Issue is getting up there safely to do that.

And if you have poison cloud you can cheese 1-4's boss EASY

Soul Arrow/Poison Cloud is just as effective and if you have the MP Regen ring costs you nothing to do. Issue is getting up there safely to do that.

And if you have poison cloud you can cheese 1-4's boss EASY

Unfortunately I've put no effort into increasing my magic skill so I'd need to do some grinding. I knew this would come to bite me in the ass!

Top Bottom