• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

MechaX

Whoa. I did not know that putting your summoning sign anywhere in World 3 could get you summoned by
Old Monk.
Ended up having a pretty cool battle with a player despite how my mage character is still rocking shitty spells. I wish Dark Souls had a boss like this one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I had someone help me completely though 3-1 yesterday. No invasions during that. feelsgoodman.jpg

I don't mind the invasion aspect as much anymore now that I have the platinum and can basically go "oh, well, shit happens" when I die from invasions or invade, but having the option to turn that off would've been nice in Dark Souls. Alas, From hates us "sunbros."

krakov

Yeah. I leveled up to like 10-20 and nailed him with a stronger arrow magic. Now apparently I need to level to 58 to be within the invasion levels required now a days. *sigh*

I think he's not that hard to beat with an SL1 royalty, you can pretty much just spam soul arrow from the second or third shelf and heal if he hits you. Though killing him melee is pretty easy as well with the cresent falchion. Much easier than the level itself I feel.

Is invasion tied to level in the same way as summons in this game? or is it more like Dark Souls were you can invade anyone above your level and sometimes lower as well? I have been running around in human form a lot in NG+ hoping to get invaded but it has only happened once thus far. Got owned pretty badly, netcode seems almost worse than Dark Souls. Also had a fight as the Old Monk though which was pretty great, lag aside, no teleport backstabs or the like.

Sullichin

Got the platinum! Man, for me, this and Dark Souls are just in another league - incredibly special games. It's perhaps cliche to say that these games have great atmosphere, but it's true. There's nothing like being immersed in a Souls game!

It was bittersweet seeing the toughest soul trophy finally pop up semi anti-climatically. I didn't have Soulbrandt (I somehow only picked it up once total in NG, NG+, and NG++, and used that one to forge northern regalia), so I thought I'd need to beat the game again in NG+++ for the trophy to pop, but it came as I crafted the last boss weapon I needed, which was the Blueblood sword. For the most part I loved going through all of the levels and bosses again on each cycle (I beat all of NG+++ until 1-4 boss, i'll probably kill him too but it's nice to have everything unlocked). I often felt like the levels were harder than the bosses themselves, some of which went down in only 1 or 2 firestorms even in NG+++ -- I am spec'd the fuck out for magic though, so it's satisfying to see that damage output. Haven't used a shield since NG+ except once in ++ to get past the ghost things in 4-2, but used a different strategy of not giving a fuck & firestorm in +++. Think I'm around SL140. I love my maxed out Moon Great Sword, and slow weapons in the Souls games in general. They require different timing than the faster weapons and it's really freaking satisfying learning it. Magic is quite powerful in this game but I'm not complaining. My only real complaint with the game is the large amount of farming required. Health, MP, upgrade stones, levels, farm farm farm. Thankfully in later NGs the souls rack up fast.

Spent much of the last cycle online and it was nice to co-op and get invaded. I'm infinitely better at Dark Souls PVP, but I'm not ready to say goodbye to the online portion of this game yet which is why I also have the chinese copy ready to play :)

Can't praise this game enough. I know I'll be back even though I got platinum, just like Dark Souls. Only games I've bothered to get platinum on. Best games of the generation for me.

Astra

Got the platinum! Man, for me, this and Dark Souls are just in another league - incredibly special games. It's perhaps cliche to say that these games have great atmosphere, but it's true. There's nothing like being immersed in a Souls game!

Congrats on getting the platinum. The Souls games are some of the very few games I have felt the desire to platinum. (I only have 4 Platinum trophies)

Was the Pure Bladestone a total bitch to get for you? That damn thing was horrible for me. Spent the longest time farming for it and getting nothing. So I took a break from that and I ended up getting it on one of the non-BP versions when I wasn't even trying for it.
So I was happy to finally get it, but still couldn't help but think "are you fuckin' kidding me?!".

Caerith

Started a Royal going for an early BBS, so I stopped leveling at 27 once I had just the bare minimum stats to 1H it. Once I forged it, I went to 1-2 to test it out and got invaded by someone trying to chickenhawk me with Hands of God and Dragon Mirdan +5.

I'm wondering if I should put some levels into vitality or endurance or just boost intelligence/magic for spell slots and damage. Or stay at low levels to surprise the invaders.

Can't praise this game enough. I know I'll be back even though I got platinum, just like Dark Souls. Only games I've bothered to get platinum on. Best games of the generation for me.

Congrats! Agreed, only two games I've ever felt the incentive to go for platinum.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Got the platinum! ...
Only games I've bothered to get platinum on. Best games of the generation for me.
Hear, hear! And congrats :)

I just started Demon's for the first time in almost a year (after being hooked on Dark), and it's really interesting seeing all the differences/similarities.

I find it much easier to parry/riposte in Demon's, but the combat in general is much more unforgiving. Maybe it's because I'm on the Asia version/server, and world tendency is almost totally black from the beginning, but it feels (if only slightly) harder than Dark anyway.

Never tried much PvP in Demon's before playing Dark, but this time I'll be focusing on the online aspects a lot more (mostly because I understand it now!)

Had my first invader on this new character right at the beginning of 1-2... He unleashed an acid cloud that broke my lowly starting scimitar, but I managed to surprise him by rushing through the second cloud and whipping out a trusty dagger! Got him down to about 1/4 HP before he (and the Phalanx things) got a couple of consecutive hits, and my guy went down.

Good little fight, though. It felt like it made much more 'sense' than most Dark Souls fights I've had. Loved jumping him through his own spell :D

Great to hear your final impressions. They truly are special games, and I can't wait to see what From does next with the series.

Soulhouf

It was bittersweet seeing the toughest soul trophy finally pop up semi anti-climatically. I didn't have Soulbrandt (I somehow only picked it up once total in NG, NG+, and NG++, and used that one to forge northern regalia), so I thought I'd need to beat the game again in NG+++ for the trophy to pop, but it came as I crafted the last boss weapon I needed, which was the Blueblood sword. For the most part I loved going through all of the levels and bosses again on each cycle (I beat all of NG+++ until 1-4 boss, i'll probably kill him too but it's nice to have everything unlocked). I often felt like the levels were harder than the bosses themselves, some of which went down in only 1 or 2 firestorms even in NG+++ -- I am spec'd the fuck out for magic though, so it's satisfying to see that damage output. Haven't used a shield since NG+ except once in ++ to get past the ghost things in 4-2, but used a different strategy of not giving a fuck & firestorm in +++. Think I'm around SL140. I love my maxed out Moon Great Sword, and slow weapons in the Souls games in general. They require different timing than the faster weapons and it's really freaking satisfying learning it. Magic is quite powerful in this game but I'm not complaining. My only real complaint with the game is the large amount of farming required. Health, MP, upgrade stones, levels, farm farm farm. Thankfully in later NGs the souls rack up fast.

Spent much of the last cycle online and it was nice to co-op and get invaded. I'm infinitely better at Dark Souls PVP, but I'm not ready to say goodbye to the online portion of this game yet which is why I also have the chinese copy ready to play :)

Congratulations. You deserved it.
I never tried offensive magic but I saw people destroying bosses with fire storm. I don't care if it makes the game easier since I don't like magic and would never use it.
With that said, I pretty much prefer Demon's upgrade system since every build has an effective upgrade path unlike in Dark Souls.

I will start my Japanese copy soon. Do anyone knows if it is the same server as the Asian one?

Sullichin

Thanks for the love Souls-GAF. Unsurprisingly I turned my PS3 back on shortly after and did some invasions. It never ends. Again i'm much better at Dark Souls PVP, I'm not used to all of the different possible setups people have in this one yet.

Was the Pure Bladestone a total bitch to get for you? That damn thing was horrible for me. Spent the longest time farming for it and getting nothing. So I took a break from that and I ended up getting it on one of the non-BP versions when I wasn't even trying for it.
So I was happy to finally get it, but still couldn't help but think "are you fuckin' kidding me?!".
Yeah, pure bladestone and certain crystal lizards were a real pain in the ass. I also got it from the non BP version, in the hidden hallway in 4-2, after hours of specificically farming for it. Many of my characters SLs were achieved from this lol.

Congratulations. You deserved it.
I never tried offensive magic but I saw people destroying bosses with fire storm. I don't care if it makes the game easier since I don't like magic and would never use it.
With that said, I pretty much prefer Demon's upgrade system since every build has an effective upgrade path unlike in Dark Souls.

I will start my Japanese copy soon. Do anyone knows if it is the same server as the Asian one?

I agree with you about the upgrade system. I think it takes too many materials, but I like how well the upgrade paths can actually work with your build. The magic/enchanted/divine/occult paths in Dark are comparatively useless to the magic scaling ones here. The crescent, crushing (with light weapon), and moon paths worked well for my str+magic build.

Magic definitely makes the game easier. I was still challenged in later NGs, but mostly by black phantom NPCs and the levels themselves rather than the bosses. I have the most fun in these games melee only, no shield and 2 handing a big sword. But I wanted to try out all of the spells since my last character didn't use any. Magic is strong in Dark Souls, but I've never taken out a boss in that game with just a couple of casts of one spell, and you can't just keep eating old spice for more casts in that game either.

I think the Japanese version uses the same servers as the Chinese one. The Wiki says there's three servers: NA, EU, and Asian.
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/online

Soulhouf

I agree with you about the upgrade system. I think it takes too many materials, but I like how well the upgrade paths can actually work with your build. The magic/enchanted/divine/occult paths in Dark are comparatively useless to the magic scaling ones here. The crescent, crushing (with light weapon), and moon paths worked well for my str+magic build.

Magic definitely makes the game easier. I was still challenged in later NGs, but mostly by black phantom NPCs and the levels themselves rather than the bosses. I have the most fun in these games melee only, no shield and 2 handing a big sword. But I wanted to try out all of the spells since my last character didn't use any. Magic is strong in Dark Souls, but I've never taken out a boss in that game with just a couple of casts of one spell, and you can't just keep eating old spice for more casts in that game either.

Yeah! Besides if you have noticed, the most important part of the upgrade is always when you use the Pure version of the stone. For example a sharp weapon is B scaling with dex at +4 and it becomes a S scaling at +5, which makes sens. That alone makes using Pure stones worth the trouble unlike in Dark Souls where the result of upgrading with a slab is often the same as chunks...

I think the Japanese version uses the same servers as the Chinese one. The Wiki says there's three servers: NA, EU, and Asian.
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/online

Sweet, thanks!

AEGISX

Banned
got the Chinese version, the first thing I did was to creat two SL712 characters.
even at that level, most BPs can kill you one hit in pure black world tendency.
also no one will invade you at that level, so boring.

TheSeks

Trying to get the Old Monk's headwrap before the servers go offline, but no one is biting. :(

World 3 is absolutely dead. What is your SL? If it's around the 20-30 mark and you want to help me rush through 3-2, I can help you out.

Sullichin

Yeah! Besides if you have noticed, the most important part of the upgrade is always when you use the Pure version of the stone. For example a sharp weapon is B scaling with dex at +4 and it becomes a S scaling at +5, which makes sens. That alone makes using Pure stones worth the trouble unlike in Dark Souls where the result of upgrading with a slab is often the same as chunks...
Yeah, the nice scaling increase made finally getting the pure darkmoon / pure moonstone really satisfying.

got the Chinese version, the first thing I did was to creat two SL712 characters.
even at that level, most BPs can kill you one hit in pure black world tendency.
also no one will invade you at that level, so boring.

Well yeah, probably because it would take forever to get to 712 legitimately. Why would you want to be leveled that high?

I started my chinese copy today and it's not pure black world tendency for me. I've logged out and back in a couple of times too. It seems to be hovering a little beneath pure white everywhere. It's a different english translation than the NA version and it's kind of funny. "Searching for world to get in" when you try to invade and other poor english abounds.

Doing a melee only build, started as a Temple Knight. Flamelurker down at SL11, killed him on my first try but somehow died 3 times on my way down to him taking the shortcut -_- Killed Urbain so I can farm the BP there for ephemeral eye stones thinking I won't need miracles but I might regret that later. Using a dragon halberd +2 for the most part now (used crescent falchion +2 on flamelurker) and trying to stay at a good level to invade and get invaded. Not really sure where to allocate my stats or how high to level up. I'll probably stop around 40 or so and just focus on vit and end.

TheSeks

Fuck, I keep failing at 3-2's second tower because of the stupid flying enemies. I'll get past it tomorrow and beat the boss. Then I guess I have to break my low level promise for invasions for Alright to be able to get into my 3-3 boss fight for his item. :/

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Had a weird episode last night where I got invaded in 2-1, but the Black Phantom was never doing any damage to me. Sometimes I wasn't even rolling, and it was blatant that I got hit/countered (my character did the appropriate flinch animations), but all the while I stayed at half-HP. Eventually I killed him and that was that, but I don't understand what happened.

Anyone experience anything similar?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Got my pretty useless Old Monk hat. Dropped my blue stone before the Maneater entrance and was summoned pretty quickly. Then my opponent died within 10 seconds. lol

I intended on starting a new character and only getting the Old Monk hat, but here I am 10 hours later playing the whole game...

Caerith

I've gotten two custard tornadoes so far by dropping blue stones in 3-1. The first time, the guy died on his way to the fight, and the second time I got lucky with non-upgraded Crescent Falchion +1 and Soul Arrow.

Sullichin

I've gotten two custard tornadoes so far by dropping blue stones in 3-1. The first time, the guy died on his way to the fight, and the second time I got lucky with non-upgraded Crescent Falchion +1 and Soul Arrow.

What SL? I only have it on a character that it's useless for on the NA server. Kind of want it on my SL140 mage character, and I was trying since like level 30 and no luck. Oh well.

Chinese version progress: Maneater down melee only, SL11. <3 my Dragon Halberd. At +3 now, gonna get that to +5 soon. Haven't gotten too much online activity yet, probably because of time zone differences.

AEGISX

Banned
Yeah, the nice scaling increase made finally getting the pure darkmoon / pure moonstone really satisfying.

Well yeah, probably because it would take forever to get to 712 legitimately. Why would you want to be leveled that high?

I started my chinese copy today and it's not pure black world tendency for me. I've logged out and back in a couple of times too. It seems to be hovering a little beneath pure white everywhere. It's a different english translation than the NA version and it's kind of funny. "Searching for world to get in" when you try to invade and other poor english abounds.

Doing a melee only build, started as a Temple Knight. Flamelurker down at SL11, killed him on my first try but somehow died 3 times on my way down to him taking the shortcut -_- Killed Urbain so I can farm the BP there for ephemeral eye stones thinking I won't need miracles but I might regret that later. Using a dragon halberd +2 for the most part now (used crescent falchion +2 on flamelurker) and trying to stay at a good level to invade and get invaded. Not really sure where to allocate my stats or how high to level up. I'll probably stop around 40 or so and just focus on vit and end.

i was curious to see how easy this game will become at that level, then I logged onto the server, first 3 worlds were pure black. it's like the game says "fuck you, you aint cheating" to me.

Caerith

What SL? I only have it on a character that it's useless for on the NA server. Kind of want it on my SL140 mage character, and I was trying since like level 30 and no luck. Oh well.

Chinese version progress: Maneater down melee only, SL11. <3 my Dragon Halberd. At +3 now, gonna get that to +5 soon. Haven't gotten too much online activity yet, probably because of time zone differences.
Not sure exactly, but SL27 or lower. Does 3-3 invading follow the same rules as black stone invading?

Nice melee Maneater. Dragon poles are OP for low levels.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^
You'd better not go screaming stuff like that around here...

Edit: Great. I'm an over-excited-junior sandwich.

alr1ght

Trying to get a pure clearstone, however I've run into a snag. No more lizards spawn in 2-3 and I beat 1-3 before saving Ostrava in 1-2 and he never seems to spawn in 1-3 . Is there a way to force him to spawn in 1-3 or am I boned until NG?

Sullichin

Trying to get a pure clearstone, however I've run into a snag. No more lizards spawn in 2-3 and I beat 1-3 before saving Ostrava in 1-2 and he never seems to spawn in 1-3 . Is there a way to force him to spawn in 1-3 or am I boned until NG?

Boned until NG+, but in NG+ you can do 1-3 right after 1-2 without having to beat an archdemon first.

dantehemi

I'm playing as a royal, i like using soul arrow alot, and I just got cresent falchion and kilij, what weapon would I be better suited to upgrade and play with.
Current stats
Str- 22
Magic-30
Intelligence-20
Can't remember the rest off hand, but all in all I prefer to use spells, but want a weapon i can upgrade and use the rest of the game.

I'm thinking cresent falchion, cause I heard it has a positive effect with magic?

Sullichin

I'm playing as a royal, i like using soul arrow alot, and I just got cresent falchion and kilij, what weapon would I be better suited to upgrade and play with.
Current stats
Str- 22
Magic-30
Intelligence-20
Can't remember the rest off hand, but all in all I prefer to use spells, but want a weapon i can upgrade and use the rest of the game.

I'm thinking cresent falchion, cause I heard it has a positive effect with magic?

Any weapon on the crescent path will give you excellent scaling with your magic stat. I made a crescent uchigatana and it's awesome. If you make a crescent weapon you won't get any scaling bonus with strength or dex so magic should be your main stat. You need to bring a weapon up to +6 and then you can make it crescent with darkmoonstone. Or, if you like the crescent falchion just upgrade that.

Also be sure to pick up the kris blade in 2-1 to hold it in your other hand when you are using a catalyst, it provides a bonus to spells.

dantehemi

Any weapon on the crescent path will give you excellent scaling with your magic stat. I made a crescent uchigatana and it's awesome. If you make a crescent weapon you won't get any scaling bonus with strength or dex so magic should be your main stat. You need to bring a weapon up to +6 and then you can make it crescent with darkmoonstone. Or, if you like the crescent falchion just upgrade that.

Also be sure to pick up the kris blade in 2-1 to hold it in your other hand when you are using a catalyst, it provides a bonus to spells.
What? Lol.... Is there any where I can read up and understand what you just told me? I'm about 13 hours into this game and I have only beaten 1-1 2-1 4-1, I spend most of my time farming and dying lol. So I don't know all the lingo yet, like what is "scaling with your magic" and why won't I get scaling bonus with strength or dex? Sorry if I sound dumb, but when it comes to this game....I feel very very dumb!

Thanks for the help

Sullichin

What? Lol.... Is there any where I can read up and understand what you just told me? I'm about 13 hours into this game and I have only beaten 1-1 2-1 4-1, I spend most of my time farming and dying lol. So I don't know all the lingo yet, like what is "scaling with your magic" and why won't I get scaling bonus with strength or dex? Sorry if I sound dumb, but when it comes to this game....I feel very very dumb!

Thanks for the help

Don't feel dumb, the game does not explain anything lol.
There is a blacksmith in 2-1 who can take your weapon along different upgrade paths. He's by the start of the level but you have to unlock the way to him, which you probably did if you beat the level. The different upgrade paths use different materials to upgrade and have different attributes. The crescent path I'm talking about for example makes sense for magic based characters as it adds magic damage based on your magic stat (this is what I mean by 'scales with magic'), however this is at the cost of no longer adding damage based on your strength or dexterity stat. Other examples - The "moon" upgrade path will add damage based on your magic stat, but not as much as the crescent path would, but it will also add a bit of extra damage based on your strength and dexterity stat. The "dragon" path will remove all strength/dexterity bonuses but will add fire damage. This page on the wiki explains the different upgrade paths, what materials you need, where to find them, what weapons they can be used on- http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade . You will get the hang of it. As you upgrade weapons with regular hardstone or sharpstone at that blacksmith, at certain points you may see options for other upgrade paths. I'd look up what they mean before upgrading blindly. But if you want all of the trophies you will eventually have to fully upgrade a weapon down each path. And maxing out an upgrade path will often require materials that are absurdly, annoyingly rare. Part of the charm, but you might rage :p

Current stats
Str- 22
Magic-30
Intelligence-20

Since you alround have your strength at 22 you might as well get a large sword in you repertoire, something like a Crescent Flamberge.

Ok, I tried seeing if anyone was talking about the Pure White Tendency. I didn't really find anything. Here is my question.

Is there a way to grab the Pure White Tendency, lock it in, and keep it that way for when the servers go off? I want to get the advantage with out having to drop everything to play Demon's Souls right now.

TheSeks

Ok, I tried seeing if anyone was talking about the Pure White Tendency. I didn't really find anything. Here is my question.

Is there a way to grab the Pure White Tendency, lock it in, and keep it that way for when the servers go off? I want to get the advantage with out having to drop everything to play Demon's Souls right now.

Pop in and out of 1-1 at least five times. Then never die in body forum until you're ready to drop tendency.

alr1ght

So I'm attempting to get Pure White Character tendency (to get the friend's ring & the plat), which I should have with a few more black phantom kills. Any good places to hang out to get invaded?

The wiki says I should be able to get summoned by the Old Monk and kill the player and that will increase my tendency towards white.
In 3-3 Defeat invading Black Phantom as Old Monk - counts as Black Phantom kill. Offline mode doesn't count.
then it says this:
If you don't want to fight the other player or are focusing on gaining a Pure White Character Tendency, it is possible to use the White Eye Stone to return to your World. You will not lose a Character Tendency level, nor will you lose a Soul Level.
I'm assuming that's talking about fighting the invader (who is playing as OM), correct? I don't want to screw it up. I should use my Black Eye Stone, get summoned by OM, then kill the other player. That will increase my white level?

one85x

Being summoned by the Old Monk is basically the same thing as invading. If you kill the host, then your CT will decrease; If the host kills you, then his CT will increase.

So I've tried many, many times to get summoned by the Old Monk over the past month and it just won't happen. I'm ready to throw in the towel. I know it's lame to ask... but would anybody be willing to give me an Old Monk's Wrap if they have an extra one? I'm a Soul Level 85 at the moment.

neoemonk

I killed Armor Spider today. Yay!

1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 done.

I played 2-2 for a while. Went down into this room with three tunnels and killed some giant worm. When it died it exploded and killed me. That was it for me for tonight. I know I'm really early, but I can't believe I made it this far. I'm soul level 24 and my gear is awful and I probably messed up my stats. This game is glorious.

RedSwirl

I still suck at world 5-2. Completely finished worlds 2, 3, and 4. Don't know how I'm gonna deal with the dragons in world 1.

Apdiddy

When is the Pure Black World Tendency event suppose to take place? I'm needing one more colorless demon's souls so I can get the Recovery miracle and maybe get the Saint's Trophy (have to replay the game after NG+ so I can get a platinum trophy).

Apdiddy

So I've tried many, many times to get summoned by the Old Monk over the past month and it just won't happen. I'm ready to throw in the towel. I know it's lame to ask... but would anybody be willing to give me an Old Monk's Wrap if they have an extra one? I'm a Soul Level 85 at the moment.

I've got an extra one I can give you (I've gotten summoned TWICE by the Old Monk, when all I wanted to do was either invade or get summoned as a blue phantom...). Send me a PM with your PSN ID.

Top Bottom